Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where are we going to eat tonight?  (Read 13401 times)

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Where are we going to eat tonight?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice. Sadly, it wasn't very busy whic meant we got a table overlooking the harbour. We primarily came back as one of our party had the DoyDoy steak the last time and hadn't stop talking about it. So our order was placed for 3 doydoys and a chicken dish. Some little nibbles arrived with nice bread, dips, olives etc.

I'm a bit of a steak snob, at home I try and buy the best cuts at nice butchers and spend quite a bit extra for the quality. But I have never seen fillet steaks like these, they were huge and cooked to absolute perfection. The accompaniments were also very nice as was the peppercorn sauce on the side - however, my steak didn't go near the sauce as I didn't want to ruin the taste.

If there's a better steak in Kalkan I need to know about it. The chicken dish was also very nice, in a white wine garlic sauce with rice and potato. The atmosphere picked up when a couple had a celebration and the waiters went to town with music and sparklers.

With 8 more meals to go I don't think this one will be beaten, happy to be proved wrong though. So the scores on the doors....

Food 10
Service 10 (very attentitive but not in your face)
Ambience 9 (shame it wasn't busier but this is the world we currently live in)
VFM 9.5 320TL

Thanks DoyDoy - a superb meal. Tonight maybe Akin or my La Terazza challenge.

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
Am I right in thinking Doy Doy was one of the recommended homemade chips establishments ?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
Not sure about the homemade chips Lucy Lou. I can't recall doy doy being renowned for chips but I can echo the comments re the steak. I need to go back for a 'Summer steak' this august. Hope it's still on the menu.

The steaks at marina restaurant,  mussakka and alternative also take some beating!

Two weeks today!!!!!  :o :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
Strange thing about steaks in Kalkan:

They come cooked the way you asked for it.

In the UK, it seems they only do "Well-done".  I must have sent back a couple of herds of beef cattle back over the years, so I don't even bother ordering steak in the UK anymore.

Kalkan, however, is another story…
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
Absolutely loving these reports, Welovekalkan....its also true for us that our holiday revolves around food - our meals and other peoples. Aren't we a funny lot?
I'm also a steak snob and think Kalkan does steaks really well. Our favourite fillet steaks this year were at Alternatif last month - just above Utopia - new spot for them this year. We also had a fantastic Chateaubriand at Golden Plate (now Samdam) on the front - new restaurant and lovely staff. I also love Mussakka's steaks...consistently good.
If you had the chance to try one of those places during your stay I'd be interested to hear your views.
This is like AA Gill being in Kalkan - love it!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline henty0

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »
We are at Doy Doy the other night, it was lovely! And the girls came out with bracelets. Going to try soprano tonight as the owner was the lovely man from Bahart. Has anyone been? X

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Re your 'challenge' tonight - I have eaten at both those places in the past week. The corner table at Akin overlooking the marina has my favourite view of Kalkan, and the waiters there could not be friendlier. At least 3 times this year I have ordered the swordfish in a cream, mushroom and spinach sauce on a bed of mash, served with fresh vegetables. At La Terrazza (or Zeki's) - I normally eat at one of the cute little tables on the street opposite Cafe del Mar. I can recommend the chicken stuffed with figs in a white wine/cream sauce with carrots and leeks, served on a potato rosti, with more fresh veg. Also the chocolate fondant there is delicious. Both these places are mid-range rather then high end eateries but offer excellent value for money.

Just referring back to the new Seaport, my experiences there have been really positive (the over-enthusiastic greeter has now moved on). Food has been good and portion sizes are generous (my girlfriend and I failed to finish a shared portion of sizzling chicken fajitas). The chunky hand cut chips deserve a special mention, as do the beer and wine prices at 10TL and 12TL respectively. Deniz has worked so hard to get back on his feet and arguably has the best location of all the new units. I agree that this area in general would benefit from more 'atmosphere' but it is early days yet, and there is still much building work to complete in the area. I understand that permission is being sought to place some tables and chairs by the water's edge across the road, which diners seemed to enjoy in years gone by.

Finally my favourite steak was at Sade (filet with peppercorn sauce) which will go down as one of my top 10 best meals of all time.

Bon apetit for this evening.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
I would agree a Sade steak is most definitely hard to beat :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 04:28:46 PM »
OH is a serious Sade steak fan......I don't do red meat but their sea bass is gorgeous too!

Offline Oxfordblue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 06:42:03 PM »
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice.

.. Thank you for these great reviews! We arrive Kalkan as total Kalkan (and even Turkey!) virgins Monday so this is is great live info and we will be following your recommendations.

Do you usually book same-day for your restaurants or is it necessary to book further ahead?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
Oxfordblue, at this time of year I would normally say book a few days in advance, but Kalkan seems quiet so you could probably book on the day. However, if you want a nice table overlooking the wonderful views it might be advisable to pop into your chosen restaurant a day or two before and book - pointing out the table you want :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
Oxfordblue.......there are so many good places to eat that you will be spoilt for choice. I'm totally convinced that you will be smitten by the Kalkan bug and will inevitably start planning a return visit within days of getting back home. Have a great holiday....I'm not at all envious!!

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
Day Six

Akin - to kickstart the evening we had a couple of drinks in Moolight, sipping away and people watching. Not to mention the dogs getting a little bit saucy!!

We'd decided in Akin as we went twice last year and the food was very good and the VFM is in a different league. Plus the owner/manager/bracelet giver outer is such a lovely chap we feel obliged to give him some custom. A short stroll down from Moonlight and you're virtually sat on their lovely terrace, sad,y there was only one other table occupied.

Service is second to none, again very attentitive but not in your face. A G&T, couple of large beers and not forgetting the iced tea whilst we mulled over the menu. Prices are notably cheaper but please don't think the food reflects such a low cost. We ordered 3 Akin specials (meatballs with a delicious cheese sauce and fresh vegetables) and a mixed grill. A nice gesture of hot flatbreads, dips and olives were brought to the table whilst our meal was being cooked. The meatball special was lovely, nicely spiced and very tender with the veg cooked very well - probably in butter (naughty but nice). The mixed grill was very nice - lamb chop, lamb Kofte, chicken and beef with a big green pepper and other vegetables. I have a big appetite but it took some eating and was extremely tasty.

2 deserts were ordered - a chocolate brownie which was said to be beautiful and a baclava which whilst not as good as Blue Marlins came a close second.

Complimentary coffees and soft drinks were offered and we had a laugh with the manager and his team. 8 others dined there I. The couple of hours we were there - very sad.

The bill was a bit embarrassing - all that food for 4 people for just 198TL So, the scores on the doors....

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 7 (sorry, can't blame them - it's just the way it is at present)
VFM 10 - none of the frills and spills of Sade,DoyDoy,Gironda but 60% of the cost.

If you go, ask for Roy Hodgsons table....seemingly he's a regular and its in a nice spot on the edge.

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice.

.. Thank you for these great reviews! We arrive Kalkan as total Kalkan (and even Turkey!) virgins Monday so this is is great live info and we will be following your recommendations.

Do you usually book same-day for your restaurants or is it necessary to book further ahead?

Hi - i would recommend you call in the evening before and show them where you'd like to sit. Whilst it's all about the food a stunning view can really compliment your meal rather than looking at other people eating. This is especially the case for Sade, Gironda and DoyDoy....if you go there ask for Euphratas and tell him Fletcher recommended it - you will get looked after. Don't hesitate on ordering the steak there either. How weird we might be sitting at the next table none the wiser. Have a safe flight!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
Another fab set of reports! We ate there last year and really liked it so it is already on our list.  We are supposed to be eating in alot as this is an unplanned trip! Already we know we HAVE to go to Ata Okabasi, Alternatif , Hunkar  samdam and Akin.....dont think the eating in plan will happen!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
Haybo - like you my restaurant list is starting to get rather longer than the eat at home one.  I plan to eat at least half the lunches and half the dinners at home but all these reports coming in mean I am adding more possible eating out places to the list.   

Adem's has to be included for at least one lunch and Moonlight terrace (if I can manage the stairs) and really want to go to Doy Doy, Akin, Kosk, Alternatif.   Oh so many.   Not to mention Kaya which we only really discovered about two years ago and were tempted in by the goat casserole on the menu.   It was delicious.   Hope they still do it, especially as Kaya is accessible by taxi.   No one has mentioned Oasis.   We have had a lovely meal right up at the top of the hotel with a fantastic view.   Not packed as it is rather hidden away and I guess guests tend to go out into town.   Probably not the place if you want a buzzy atmosphere but great if you want a quiet relaxing meal with a wonderful view and any breezes going will reach there.   It is high up but there is a lift!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Tortoise lady...Kaya were still doing Goat casserole in mid/end june this year :-*
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
Kaya was still doing goat this week or if not on the menu you can pre order

Offline Cajaran

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
Oxfordblue, at this time of year I would normally say book a few days in advance, but Kalkan seems quiet so you could probably book on the day. However, if you want a nice table overlooking the wonderful views it might be advisable to pop into your chosen restaurant a day or two before and book - pointing out the table you want :)

Even if you book ahead for a preferred table you can turn up and someone else is sat there - as has happened to us on more than one occasion. Very annoying when a specific table has been booked well in advance and especially as it is so quiet here at the moment!!! So say - but doesn't seem that quiet to be honest.

I'm afraid that when that happens we walk away and take our business elsewhere.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »
Tortoise lady if you can manage the steps up to Alternative you probably can access anywhere in Kalkan!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BBC 4 tonight

Started by Blue Lizard on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 04:53:32 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Tonight's the night...........

Started by pw on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 10:58:03 PM
by pw
xx
Live Music tonight

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
by MartynE
xx
On TV tonight...sort of 'place in the sun' stuff

Started by onelove on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 06:55:53 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3137
By: tramline
Xanthos Theatre