Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: July 2016 visit  (Read 3997 times)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
July 2016 visit
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
We are back again for two weeks, but probably won't be doing much by the way of holiday reports as space restrictions meant I had to leave the laptop at home and am reduced to relying on the iPad. However, will try to pass on any great finds or useful info.

First bit of what might be useful info is that most of the banks are adding a new charge when you take money out on credit cards. For the last few years I have relied on a Halifax Clarity card to get money out - no charges and a great exchange rate.

This year I went to take money out when we got to Dalaman and noticed ther was a 5% bank charge, I assumed that this was an airport rip off but when we got to Kalkan tried in the IS Bank ATM and the charge was 5.5%. I tried a couple more and it seemed that all the banks were adding this charge.

Now the useful bit, I tried the HSBC ATM opposite the Nur bakery and no charge, so that's where I will be getting my money this holiday.

I

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13418.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: July 2016 visit
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
After failing miserably to provide any blog posts on holiday (I hate typing on tablets) I thought I would provide a round up of the highlights of the trip, starting with the restaurants we visited:

Best restaurants 

Blue Marlin: This was our favorite by a long way, so much so that we went back three times in the two weeks we were there. It is primarily a fish restaurant but other dishes were also excellent. The absolute stand out dish was the wild Sea Bass with Spinach - beautiful ingredients cooked to perfection. Another stand out was the free Meze, this is far better than any other we have been offered in all the years we have been coming to Kalkan, in fact it is one of the best Mezes full stop. All the starters we tried (Garlic Prawns, Chilli Octopus and Courgette Fritters were also excellent and came in large portions. The only problem we had was eating everything we ordered, after our first visit we trimmed back on the starters to 3 between six which with the free Meze was plenty.  Overall great value for money, e.g. the wild Sea Bass with Spinach was only 40TL

Small House: A firm favourite of hours for several years now, this year it has got even better, the menu had not noticeably changed but to use Masterchef speak seemed to have gone up a level this year. They also have a new free dessert to finish with - a very nice Plum Compote with ice cream. Again great value, we went there on our last night 3 meal for 3 came to 200TL, including the tip.

Foto Pizza: Great Pizzas lovely view and bargain drinks. This became our regular starting point for nights our, sharing a bottle of Angora (29TL) while watching the sun go down (Beers Tuborg and Effes were available at only 8TL).

We also visited a few restaurants that didn't live up to their previous high standards -

Kalamaki:  was nothing like when we visited in April, food uninspiring, service offhand and prices up

Ramis: We thought this was a real find last year, but now food/service only ok and prices up (60TL for Angora which is pretty huge mark up).

Hunkar: Used to be a real favorite but seems to have lost something with its expansion - food still good but service was slow and not quite the lunchtime bargain it used to be.

As regular visitors for over 13 years, the worst thing about the holiday was how quiet Kalkan was. Each night on the way into town we would have to walk past people we know trying to get people to come into their completely empty restaurants. You feel pretty bad having a chat and then carrying on walking into town.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the summing up....glad to hear the Small House mentioned again this year.....a definite return visit is planned for us!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
thanks alantj, great summary!
BH and I used to find different and more diverse ways of getting into town without passing too may restaurants - and their greeters - on the way in. Agree with you about Hunkar's prices - we like their food but it did seem markedly more expensive this year.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:42:13 PM »
Never tried Blue Marlin.   Must look and see (on KTLN??) where it is.   Certainly sounds worth a visit.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
Thanks Alantj

Blue marlin sounds amazing and I'm looking forward to trying there. We thought hunkar was more expensive in April but still good food.

I'm seriously counting the days down now  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
tortoise lady, Blue Marlin is next to Sandals Bar on the Harbour - or On the Rocks as they are now called  ::)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
I am so looking forward to getting back into Kalkan.  We too have devised a route into town that cuts out the main road past Ptt.......

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
I am so glad that Blue Marlin is getting a great review. We have known Murat for many years and his parents even longer. They had Sarppedon art gallery and gift shop on the harbour when we first visited and when we bought our apartment, we bought some lovely art there, his mother is simply delightful..couldn't do enough for you.

When Murat opened the bistro, we ate there one lunchtime and had fab meze and lovely chilled wine but haven't eaten there on an evening. I definitely will be going later this year.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
Have to say that we've never tried the Blue Marlin but, then again, there are plenty of restaurants that we haven't tried even after five visits. It will probably take another 20 years or more before we exhaust every place to eat. Having said that Kalkan is always evolving and so it is very unlikely that any forum member will have eaten in every place. This is one of the reasons that Kalkan is soooo special.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
After failing miserably to provide any blog posts on holiday (I hate typing on tablets) I thought I would provide a round up of the highlights of the trip, starting with the restaurants we visited:

Best restaurants 

Blue Marlin: This was our favorite by a long way, so much so that we went back three times in the two weeks we were there. It is primarily a fish restaurant but other dishes were also excellent. The absolute stand out dish was the wild Sea Bass with Spinach - beautiful ingredients cooked to perfection. Another stand out was the free Meze, this is far better than any other we have been offered in all the years we have been coming to Kalkan, in fact it is one of the best Mezes full stop. All the starters we tried (Garlic Prawns, Chilli Octopus and Courgette Fritters were also excellent and came in large portions. The only problem we had was eating everything we ordered, after our first visit we trimmed back on the starters to 3 between six which with the free Meze was plenty.  Overall great value for money, e.g. the wild Sea Bass with Spinach was only 40TL

Small House: A firm favourite of hours for several years now, this year it has got even better, the menu had not noticeably changed but to use Masterchef speak seemed to have gone up a level this year. They also have a new free dessert to finish with - a very nice Plum Compote with ice cream. Again great value, we went there on our last night 3 meal for 3 came to 200TL, including the tip.

Foto Pizza: Great Pizzas lovely view and bargain drinks. This became our regular starting point for nights our, sharing a bottle of Angora (29TL) while watching the sun go down (Beers Tuborg and Effes were available at only 8TL).

We also visited a few restaurants that didn't live up to their previous high standards -

Kalamaki:  was nothing like when we visited in April, food uninspiring, service offhand and prices up

Ramis: We thought this was a real find last year, but now food/service only ok and prices up (60TL for Angora which is pretty huge mark up).

Hunkar: Used to be a real favorite but seems to have lost something with its expansion - food still good but service was slow and not quite the lunchtime bargain it used to be.

As regular visitors for over 13 years, the worst thing about the holiday was how quiet Kalkan was. Each night on the way into town we would have to walk past people we know trying to get people to come into their completely empty restaurants. You feel pretty bad having a chat and then carrying on walking into town.

Have to agree re Hunkar....lovely food,but prices keep going up, not far of uk kebab prices now so not as good as it used to be.....lots of places a tad out of town just as good but half the price

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
Have to agree re Hunkar....lovely food,but prices keep going up, not far of uk kebab prices now so not as good as it used to be.....lots of places a tad out of town just as good but half the price

Happily we found our new Hunkar, further up the hill past Migros there is a little shack. I walked past there one day on my way back to our villa and there were some great smells (or should that be aromas) coming from the kitchen.

Next day we went there for lunch and it was as good as it smelt (aromad?) the day before. We had Meatball sandwiches and chicken wraps both excellent and 7.5TL, and the setting once you are inside the garden area is lovely you don't notice you are near a main road. We went back a few times over the holiday and it was equally good each time. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
JULY 2016

Started by tonye1960 on Accommodation and Hotels

14 Replies
Last post September 03, 2015, 03:41:14 PM
by joycie
xx
Easter visit 2016

Started by alantj on Holiday Reports and Reviews

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 07:19:55 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Accommodation discount - 12 nights from 16th July to 28th July, 2017

Started by Kalkankiwi on Accommodation Discounts & Special Offers

0 Replies
Last post June 11, 2017, 09:39:16 AM
by Kalkankiwi
xx
8/22 July

Started by pw on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 08:56:28 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal