Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: and mother came too ...  (Read 4059 times)

Offline lurcherlou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
and mother came too ...
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »
Here goes, this is my first ever holiday report - and probably my last - dyslexia can be challenging at times and OH has to proof read everything!
Flew out from Bham  - no mention on their website about arriving earlier- queues for security were backing up to the escalators, I'd done my 10,000 paces for the day just zig zagging the ropes up to the scanners ! Just had time to grab a bottle of water for daughter 2 before they'd called the flight  :(
Good flight, 2/3rds full and a smaller plane than usual but , on a postitive note, that meant the drinks trolley arrived quicker to our row than usual !
At Dalaman we hung around the arrivals hall for daughter 1 - arriving on Easyjet from Gatwick, then it was into the hire car ( next time we need a mini bus for all the cases-) and we were off. OH drives like a Turk and I'm sure one of these days we won't reach Kalkan - I have to sit in the back so I can't watch. If it wasn't for the amount of alcohol I drink on board to make flying bearable then I would have volunteered to drive.
Arrived in kalkan at midnight- I thought it was meant to be quiet ?! Roads were rammed, Hunkars was heaving, clearly Bayram is bringing everyone into town. Found villa at first attempt- helped by me google walking the kalamar road a few days before ! Lovely pool, lots of space in the villa and a lot of steps to climb up to it - I'm going to have thunder thighs come the end of the holiday and I think we may have to install a stannah stairlift for mum - and our shopping!
Quick shop at yali express for Efes, juice, and water and time to chill by the pool ( or in it - daughter 1 ) before retiring to bed....
Day one, drag daughters out of bed, pile into car, drive down the road to Ada and have breakfast, they were doing a roaring trade but quickly seated us and we had a great Turkish breakfast. Had a good matter to the owner (?) who said he was keeping his prices down to encourage Turks and other nationalities to come - sensible man- and as a result he was doing well.
Girls walked back to villa and we trudged up the hill - may have forgotten to mention to mum all the hills in Kalkan 😜 - to the market. It was empty -  Where are the customers, even the banter was lack lustre- I feel we need to buy a few t shirts if only to break the tedium of the day for them. Did buy loads of gorgeous fruit and veg - helped by the stall holder feeding us plenty of samples - recommend the melons, apricots and cherries - yummy.
Quick trip into yali supermarket for basics - then back for a dip in the pool.
Evening - Didn't get into town till about 8.30, drink in Botanik - lovely place, but prices have definitely increased, then up to Hunkars - packed out at 10pm, but they found us a table and we had a good meal - prices seemed similar to last May. Home, glass of Metaxa, nibble on a few free chops and bed.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13413.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: and mother came too ...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
Thanks for posting lurcherlou, hopefully the first of many :)
I'm like you with Google Maps - did this for every rental property we looked at when we were in Kalkan - it definitely works.

I was interested that Yali Express is open later than midnight AND that you were able to buy alcohol after 10pm :o :o
Does anyone know of anywhere in town that also does this? Often we've been on our way home and thought about getting a bottle of wine, but as it was after 10pm we didn't even bother trying. Have I been missing a trick, or has the law changed?

We are thinking of inviting my Mum to spend a week with us next year - she'll be 79 but an active 79 - so it'll be good to know how your Mum finds it.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
lurcherlou ,  re " probably my last report"    Hope not  ,  great report,  keep em coming.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
Lurcherlou loved your post and please don't make it your first or last. Enjoy your holiday and looking forward to at least another one please  :) x

Offline lurcherlou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
Well, OH proOF read my last post and failed to notice that we 'nibbled on chops' with our brandy 😳😳 I blame spell check - it was chocs ! Anyway, day two was spent melting by the pool - I've decided to sunbathe in the deep shade. OH did his usual of swimming in the pool with his wallet - why he needed his wallet with him while we're in the villa is beyond me - in case an ice cream van comes tinkling round ? Anyway we laid the notes out across the loungers ( mum had come out with lots of 10l notes) and we looked a bit like the Russian mafia laundering our drug money !! Not sure what the neighbours thought !
Evening we roped and pulleyed our way down the road to The Brothers - 2 minutes ,  lovely meal, Turkish food with ' a modern twist'. Beautifully presented and well cooked, the brothers were very welcoming but only 3 tables were taken in the whole evening - do people walk on by just heading into town ?
Anyway, day 3 has dawned ( well it's mid morning, my body is sticking with uk time !) and we're driving down into town to park up and show mum the harbour, look in a few air con shops and have a coffee - oh and find a shop that sells a puncture repair kit for youngest daughters donut inflatable ( don't ask - And it's got sprinkles on the top !) . Also going to look at the roasted chickens which may be tonight's tea - need to balance out the more expensive meals with cheaper eats else OH will spend the holiday grumbling about second mortgages and the price of cocktails !!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
I've enjoyed reading your posts lurcherlou and look forward to our next holiday to Kalkan☺

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
So glad you decided to blog lurcherlou - an unexpected treat.

Hope you manage to fix the donut.  :)

We enjoyed it at the brothers too in April and hope to go back next month.  :)

Offline lurcherlou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »
I have to admit I'm not very good at a daily blog so I'll do a mini catch up of what we've done since I last put my fingers to the keypad. No luck with puncture repair kit - so the donut lies by the pool looking sadly deflated. Did a day at Patatra yesterday and much amusement was to be had watching shoeless people hop skip and jump across the searing sand - some attempted a linford christie run, launching themselves down the sand towards the sea, others leapt from shade to shade 😀. Have to admit that there was no breeze and I felt like one of the roasted chickens from the deli ( delicious by the way) . We retreated earlier than planned - and had dinner at Adams on the Kas road. Please visit - he does a free transfer from Kalkan, speaks perfect English, and grows his own veg- food is good Turkish fare - we had sea bream, lamb shank, stuffed aubergine, calamari and chicken casserole ( there are 5 of us !) sat on the terrace watching the sunset, our glowing sunburn adding to the evening light. Today we went on our first boat trip from Kalkan, on Yildiz 3. 11 people in total so plenty of 'spreading out' room. You regulars out there will know how good the trip is, I was amazed how often we were fed !! I worked it out to be £18.91 per person at current exchange rates  and we spent about another £4 each on drinks/ magnums. Might have to book it again for next week - beats a day sweating on the beach or by the pool - well impressed. Sat drinking wine on the terrace now and its blissfully quiet ( have I mentioned our noisy neighbours? The ones who settle themselves for a day by the pool with the speakers blaring out everyday - despite lots of peering over balconies by other neighbours wondering where the mobile disco is coming from😒) I may have to go shopping for ear plugs .....

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
What a shame about your noisy neighbours, sadly getting a more than fact of life here these days, so totally selfish & ignorant. Still enjoy your wine.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
First visit - mother and child

Started by debbo1 on Introduce Yourself

0 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
by debbo1
xx
Trips with elderly mother ideas please

Started by annie the tourist on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2015, 02:36:00 PM
by annie the tourist

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal