Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Thelma & Louise hit Turkey...who's got the Ventolin?  (Read 11733 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Thelma & Louise hit Turkey...who's got the Ventolin?
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:55:57 AM »
Hi! So quick intro...Haybo, mother of 1, Kalkan lover...this is my 4th visit and Nat....registered keeper of 4 boys, an Australian, 28 chickens, 8 turkeys, 2 geese, a duck and a black lab....1st time visiting Turkey.  Met in the school playground as my boy and her 2nd are in same year group.
The plan to visit Kalkan began at a jewellery club we both go to where one of our friends said.."we should all go" but they bailed one by one as we began to book., so, just me and Nat made the trip.

Flew our from Birmingham with Monarch.  We were worried about airport security so got there quite early,but it was fine so we had time for lunch and duty free shopping.  Plane boarded on time....nowhere in the Monarch boarding process did it make it clear that you had to be under 5ft and be a size 16 or less to get in the seats!! 

For the first time EVER we both had to ask for sestbelt extensions ...the shame! Anywho, Nats chair kept reclining of its own accord which was not  acceptable in thise conditions, so we told one of the crew and she found us seats that weren't defective.....extra legroom seats! Yay, for the win! Will be booking these bad boys for the way home and no mistake. 

Landed promptly, through visa hall quickly then a longish wait for the bags, still i think we were on our way within 45 minutes if touchdown.  We found our driver quicky and off we went.  Big queues to get into the airport..lots of vehicle checks. Good unless you're sat in it.

It wasnt long before we were heading up the hill and the vista would open up in front of us.  Emre came out to meet us at the apartment...great guy....Aytac showed us our digs and we set of in search of dinner...it was now 23:15 ish.

Made it as far as Hunkar.  We were last customers so there wasn't much choice, but even so a great first meal.  Nat had chicken shish and i had a meat roll thing...not doner betyi but nearly!

Then tired from our adventures we set off back up the hill.  This is where the need for ventolin came in....nat has been asmatic for years, and i have recently been given an inhaler
 to try and help with a recurring chest infection! What a pair...in fact when we went through airport security, the only things we had in the little placcy bag was an inhaler each.! A sign of the times!!!

Running out if time now as we are oult on Yildiz 3 today...will do Day 1 proper later!   Have a great day y'all!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13408.0

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: Thelma & Louise hit Turkey...who's got the Ventolin?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:42:21 AM »
Hi haybo, Nat and family.
Welcome to Kalkan. You are certainly diving straight in with a boat trip (no pun intended )Have a great day and I am looking forward to hearing all about it soon

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
Goody goody, another reporter in town.

Enjoy your boat trip ladies and hope you both have a fab holiday. I'm sure Nat will fall in love with Kalkan just like we have.  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
Day one started with me being up first as usual and sitting out on the terrace with a cuppa enjoying the sun coming up over the mountain.  Nat wasn't up that much later...

We hadn't got any money or food so decided we would laze about the poolfor a bit before heading into town to show her the sights, change money and do a Yali shop.  It was lovely walking into town, although very very quiet.

We got 3.75 for our £ which isn't too bad.  Having decided we were going to have a kitty we needed a kitty purse.... Which meant popping into Desti to but a lovely silk purse! We meandered down the street taking a few photos, I popped into Goz to get my sunnies sorted and we ended Up popping into Fener for lunch...we both had chicken burger which was lovely, I had an iced tea and Natalie had OJ... Total,bill,of ....not bad at all!  Have heard people complaining about the service in Fener but have to report we didn't experience anything of the sort. 

Shame to see so Many boats still in the harbour though.   

We Wandered along the harbour street and spotted water hammocks for 35tl....so bought 2! Taxi up to Yali where we did a light shop and popped in the fruit shop so we are stocked up with healthy treats (lol).  Lugged it all back to the apartment.

We the used up all of our puff to blow up the hammocks...out came the Ventolin again! They are fab purchases! Nat had a nice snooze floating around the pool whilst i had a nap cos i had a headache!

We were planning to catch up with K4e before they returned home so said a quick hello to them which was lovely..they were very tanned and relaxed....then went to eat at The Olive Garden...it was lovely...complimentary mezze, king prawns in raki sauce for me and lamb stew for nat, complementary pudding, tea, coffee, a glass of red, a bottle of water and 2 peach juices, 154tl. 

We then went intoBSG and the guy remembered me and is going tomget my bag fixed when I'm back in August.  We also went into lots of lovely shops i dont get to go in when i'm here with the family...including Mai boutique where Nat bought some funky ali baba trousers!

The shops are just so lovely! We took a shortcut through cafe leon as we were heading back towards the taxi rank, but we got collared mt thr host at Authentic who remembered me.....we ended up going in for a drink. Taxi home for about 00:40! What a late night for me..... Headed of to bed about 01:30 as we were off out on a boat trip...a great day 1 I think!

Oh forgot to mention i got to meet the owners of our mormal apartment and caught up with Mandy and Avril which was lovely...... Nice to have friendly faces around .

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
Well you've certainly hit the ground running! One of the reasons we keep going back to Kalkan that along with the lovely people, food, views etc.. Is that we just completely relax as soon as we get there. I was just telling someone in work today exactly that! Everything is so familiar but yet so magical at the same time.
You've sound as if you've made a great start Haybo and Nat......keep on having fun!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »
Great posts Haybo, sounds like you have done so much in a couple of days already. Glad your friend is enjoying our lovely Kalkan too and Look forward to more reports please  :D. Glad you got to catch up with k4e too. We've never eaten at the Olive Garden but your meal sounded delicious.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
A day on Yildiz 3......what a great way to spend a Monday!

We started our day like a couple Old old biddies!  we both have kalkancalf....our muscles are screaming for mercy! We are both big girls and wow! We are hilarious to watch!

We had a bit of brekkie...fruit, yogurt and cereal before heading down Cardiac Hill to the harbour.  We had hoped to change some money on the way down but that didn't happen so we just hoped we had enough for the day. 

We boarded at about 09:45 to be welcomed by Adem and his lovely wife...this would probably be my 8th trip with them! Kemal and Memmet were on board to...wow they are growing fast, especially Kemal who is now 16!  ( i may be getting his name wrong, but it is something like that! )

There were 8 others on board which was lovely for us, but tragic for Adem....still, the other folks were really lovely and we had the usual marvellous time.....especially at Mouse Island where some of our companions felt compelled  to scramble up the rock face like the native mountain goats...egged on by Adem and Memmet of course!  My heart was in my mouth!

Nat and I both got a bit burnt despite trying to keep on top of the sun lotion....thendangers of being on the water...my worst bit is my parting....i will need to find a solution before August...hats are no good as i have a massive head!

We decided that after the excitement of the day we would have a quiet Evening and so we showered, phoned home and ordered a pizza! I think we turned in before 11!

The sun burn meant that Tuesday was a self imposed shade day.  Natalie looked very trendy floating around on the hammock with a headscarf like gypsy rose, big sunglasses, a t shirt and a scarf across her knees!

We headed out last night for dinner at Alternatif...awesome as ever.  I had jack daniels steak and Nat had moroccan lamb, we had 2 glasses of red, a bottle of water and a peach juice...162 tl

We had a mooch down the main drag and then got a taxi back to Yali where we bought a few bits and bobs....no milk! Must be because is bayram

Not sure what today will bring...... Nat is loving Kalkan, especially the people.  Dont want to say it...but we're half way through already!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:50:58 AM »
Sounds like a lovely day at sea Haybo.

Ahh the dreaded parting sunburn - I have the solution. I'm lucky that with my frizz, the sun never gets to my parting instead crisps my hairline around my high forehead  >:( but my girls suffer from this and the answer is a spritz of non greasy dry oil sunscreen in a very high factor, all along the hairline/parting. The clear spray is wonderful and prevents the badger look of which as kids they had on every photo.  :)

Enjoy the rest of your week. Hope it goes slowly.  8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:25 PM »
Ah Haybo, hanging on to your every word and already feeling the Kalkan Blues - which I have to say is only moderately less hurtful than Kalkan Calf Pain. Ladies I feel for you with the sunburn and the calf pain, but some G&T's will sort it out for you. I also use sun block spray on the parting in my hair but I've never found an invisible one - please share Lizilu :)
Lovely to meet you both on our last night, looking forward to hearing more about your stay  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:02:47 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
Hi Ladies,

I heard somewhere just the other day that dry oil high factor sun protection can be sprayed on partings, hope I didn't read it on here or I will feel a fool !

Other than that the ultrasun lady said their creams can be dabbed on partings as they're not too heavy, not sure I'm convinced by that but if you have it no harm in trying I guess.

My hairline burns (in the few minutes I'm without my sun hat when swimming !) as I never have dry skin for the sun cream to adhere to so use the ultrasun factor 20 sports formula (a clear liquid formula) and rub that into the hairline, kind of makes the hair a bit crispy until washed.  But I've never been able to do sunbathing & look glam so no change there.  :-[

Lucy Lou

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:01:15 AM »
Haybo another great post and I hope your sunburn has eased and you are getting accustomed to the heat. Nothing worse is there? Sounds like Nat will want to be returning to Kalkan in the future  :D. Looking forward to another post from you, all I seem to be doing is checking on here so much lately! Have you managed to visit the Asfiya yet? Whose going to take up the baton next? GO on Rosieb! Sounds like your next  :D. 15 more sleeps for us can't believe it is almost time to pack our cases.

J

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 07:53:54 AM »
Ambre solaire do a factor 50 but it's a bit pricey. I usually have a trip to home bargains as they generally have the calypso and Malibu range in a dry oil spray can at factor 30 which, combined with a bit of shade, generally does the trick.  ;D  8) :-*

RosiB please do your blog again this year!

Jayne, I expect a daily report from you so get that red nipple finger limbering up!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:56:43 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
I'm with Lizilu in the thick hair dept but OH is follicley challenged (?!) for the last couple of years he's been submitted to me spraying his thin bits with Boots Soltan hair and scalp spray but I can't find any this year......Superdrug also do an own brand spray but out of stock last week. But I'm on the case!  :laugh:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 06:21:29 AM »
Thank you all for the advice on my hair problem...i have veen using factor 30 spray and a head band that Nat brought with her and it has worked a treat!

Sorry to be a let down folks, but we have been doing very little during the day, we have chosen to stay at base cos its just so flipping easy! We have been swimming, reading, floating around on our fab hammocks, having relaxing lunches of crackers, cheese, tomatoes, crisps washed down with a G&T, then afternoon coffee, cake and a baileys!

We have stayed in the pool until the sun has disappeared behind the building before heading into town.  So, things to report from town...I have loved popping i to the little shoos I wiukdn't normally go in.  Nat has bought some cool trousers and a top but I have held kff until I return in 5 weeks.  There is a cute jewellry store near where pandora used to be and Nat is busily thinking up some words to have printed on card to accompany necklaces as they are nice and light to send to her neices in Australia. I think this might end up being a job i finish for her in August...there are 5 of them to get!

We did our handbag shopping last night in BSG....7 longchamps bags, a mulberry clutch and a phone case! We were fulfilling an order for a friend! Big problem is that the bags weigh 5.6 kg and we may struggle with weight allowance on way home!  Watch this space for handbag packing drama!

Had dinner at Marina one evening - lovely chicken ceasar salad and chips...wandered along to look at the beach and got collared by Figo at the new place Şamdan...was Golden Plate...apparently it means candle.  We had complimentary drinks and watched the footie! Shame about Wales. 

Last night we ate in Gourmet....OMG..that was awesome, i had who let the chickens out.....delicious! Nat had a peppered steak.  The food was so beautifully presented.  Nat had a pudding....it was a turkish  speciality...Hoshgerin or something like that...I will let the officionado's explain what it is....lets just say its an aquired taste!

Think our last full day will be spent here too then who knows where for our last supper!

Oh almost forgot...our journey into town often takes us past Chillies and I have been saddened that the smiley fella..Ewan?....hasn't been there to greet us...fear not, he has relocated to another joint Waino(?) and is as welcoming as ever... He remembered me which was lovely.

I will of course do a summing up report, getting Nats obervations, but mine are that prices do seem to be higher- inthat the numbers on the menus are bigger, not just the differnces of the exchage rate.....as you know, other than the boat trip we have done very little during the day and whilst we have eaten well, I dont drink and Nat has only had a couple of glasses of wine, but the bill has been what I would have expected for 3 of us last year.  Think there will be a bit more eating-in in August!

Later people!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
At Chillies, I think Ewan is the owner.

You may be thinking about Mr. Happy.

But this is guesswork, we have 58 days until we can do the deeper research…
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 10:37:49 AM »
You see the beauty of Kalkan is that you can just laze by the pool all day...there's no rules!
Figo is a sweetie, we really took to him, Yusuf and the staff at Golden Plate (Samdam), fingers crossed they do well but they do appear to be outsiders.
Your week has flown, as you said it would, but lucky you being back in just over a months time!!!!
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your stay.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
At Chillies, I think Ewan is the owner.

You may be thinking about Mr. Happy.

But this is guesswork, we have 58 days until we can do the deeper research…

Ewan has been the greeter at Chillies pretty much since the opened but he isn't the owner. That is Sadik. Ewan is a great guy, so helpful,funny and friendly. I'm disappointed he isn't there and will have to hunt him down when we get there (tomorrow😀😀😀😀)
I did hear that due to the lack of tourists and the restaurant not being busy that Ewan and Mr Happy were working alternate months. Don't know if there's any truth in that but I can understand why he'd have to look for a full time job if that's the case.
Anyway did I mention I'm going out tomorrow???
pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:33 PM »
Hayley and Nat thank you for sharing your holiday this past week. Has really got us in the holiday mode. Glad you've had a fab time and imagine you'll be on count down now to August  :D :D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
Ewan said that he took a gamble to move because the new place pays a salary and small commission but it was just commission with Chillies. If the season is quiet it may pay off.  Have a good stay pw!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:02 AM »
So our week in Kalkan is sudden,y drawing to a close.  In some respects it has flown and in other respects we feel we have really stopped the world, got off and had a rest!  No doubt that feeling will subside the moment we walk through our front doors later!

So after a day of more swimming, sunbathing, chatting, drinking baileys, we has a quick preliminary pack and started our final decent into town. I popped in to Brave tours to book a trip to Kekova when we are here in August and he wouldn't take the booking! He said its too quiet to know what will be happening in August....well we can predict one thing with certainty...i wont be going to Kekova with Brave Tours!   Very odd way to do business!

We ate at Begonvil...delicious food and reasonable prices, i had sea bass fillets with garlic prawns and Nat has a mexican chicken dish, bittle of water, sprite and a glass of wine 93tl! Christina walked past as we were eating so we had a catch up and made loose plans to catch up later in Botanik.

After dinner we went back to the main street as Nat wanted to get flipflops for her boys and i was in the market for a pashmina for my sister.  Flipflops secured we carried on down the street and stopped at the little shop,opposite Paprika...what a gem! The shirts they sell in there are amazing....nat bought a couple for her husband and one fir her dad..i will definitely by steering OH into there in August.

From there we went to botanik to sample the fare but didnt see Christina - she had called it a night so we wandered down through town one last time to get a taxi back..now to try and stuff 7 longchamps bags into my luggage! Smuggling contraband...who me?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Thelma without Louise...but with The Chuckle Brothers.....

Started by Haybo on Holiday Reports and Reviews

54 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 06:49:52 AM
by Haybo
xx
sat nav in turkey

Started by stevewatson on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 11:38:59 AM
by dwieling
xx
Which way will Turkey go?

Started by chickengeorge on Politics & Debate

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 08:57:05 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
EK in Turkey

Started by belinda on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 12:24:50 PM
by Enişte

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal