Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Exchange rate  (Read 11001 times)

Offline mitch

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
Re: Exchange rate
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »
I don't often write on this forum but read it fairly often. I feel compelled to write and give a different point of view. This week I spent a day and evening in Kas. The minimum we paid for a large Efes was 12TL, the average was 15TL. In one place we paid 15TL for a small Efes- a large beer wasn't an option. In a different bar we ordered two local Gin and Tonic's, they were 24TL each. Kas was absolutely packed- I've never seen it so busy. All of the bars on the main square were full, as were the majority of the restaurants. The hotel we stayed in was also full. I would say 70% of the customers were Turkish- happily paying the prices, not complaining and have a great time- the atmosphere was electric. Apart from seeing a handful of other British tourists, the remaining tourists appeared to be from various European countries. This continuing suggestion on Enjoy Kalkan that local business owners are hiking prices because of the British market is tiresome and incorrect. If anything, Kalkan is much cheaper than comparable Turkish resorts. After recent events in Turkey and the tragic bombings in Istanbul this week, Kalkan needs all the help it can get, not constant griping from people who supposedly love the town and it's people.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 05:41:54 PM »
We live here full time so can only comment on what we experience & obviously support Kalkan otherwise we wouldnt be here. We spent the day in Kas last week & certainly enjoyed an Efes at 10tl on the square, cannot comment on the evening etc as we were home by then. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »
Drink is expensive in Turkey, not due to restaurant owners but taxes imposed by the Turkish government who doesn't want alcohol being sold.  It costs 5 lira to by a bottle of beer in a supermarket - how can you honestly expect a restaurant, with overheads to sell it for any less than 12/15 lira.  Give the businesses a break!
Like Mitch we too found Kas and other resorts more expensive than Kalkan when it came to food, wine and drinks and a much lower standard than is offered in Kalkan.
Just sit back, look at that view and enjoy :)

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »
Only going on personal experience, I agree with Mitch re. prices in Kas.
I think it also depends on where you live in the UK and what prices you are used to paying there. 
A meal and wine in a restaurant or even a pub where I live would be a whole lot more expensive than a comparable meal in Kalkan, and not so good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Exchange Rate

Started by kalkan4eva on Money & Finance

30 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 09:14:41 AM
by Derbyshire
xx
Exchange Rate

Started by City Chick on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 06:46:19 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Exchange Rate

Started by Blue Lizard on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2019, 06:57:09 AM
by felicity
xx
Exchange rate

Started by QueenBee on Money & Finance

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 08:27:27 PM
by baclava

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal