Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Living la dolce vita  (Read 9884 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Living la dolce vita
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »
Hi Babs and Jane. What a great idea. Shall we meet at the doctors or  the hairdressers?

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
A cooling breeze has returned and everywhere is feeling much fresher . On Friday night we made our first visit of the holiday to Gourmet. This is probably my favourite restaurant for several reasons . Firstly I am a little in love with Ibrahim who is my favourite person in kalkan . The welcome you get as you step through the door is like arriving at a dear friends house for dinner. Unfortunately non of our friends can cook like the chef here who,by the way is the second reason Gourmet is one of my favourites.
No one should die before they have tasted his chicken tikka massalla.Forget the stuff of Indian restaurants at home.  It should be called "heavenly red velvet on a plate" The same can be said of his Walnut kazu. This is a lamb dish  (which does feature walnuts obviously ) The man is a genius in the kitchen .He comes out after every service and mingles with his guests . I think that's the best part . You feel like a guest and not a customer. The two terraces give wonderful views of many other nearby rooftop restaurants and you feel as if you are dining in a city in the sky with much waving across to others.
Anyway,we couldn't decide between the two dishes described above so ordered both and swopped plates
halfway through.Perfect
Saturday was a lazy day around the pool of our fabulous mountain retreat. We both love villa life so much.
  I describe it as "Just like being at home only so much nicer "
We eventually managed to tear ourselves away as it went dark and made our way down to Aubergine. A
great half an hour on the sofas, wine bucket on the table, for some serious people watching and menu
studying. We both opted for the chicken with leeks and bacon which is my favourite and OH refused to
order something different as, if not having a steak, it is his favourite too.A side of the sauté potatoes made
 it a feast fit for a king and as always the service was friendly and first rate. You know the rest by now. Taxi home,night cap on the roof terrace, twinkling stars etc etc, bliss. I love it.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
What a fab holiday you are having bizzylizzy. Your food choices are making me very hungry. I can't wait to make that difficult decision of not only where to go, but what to choose off the menu. So hard to choose something new when you have waited so long to taste your favourite dishes again! Such a dilemma and I cannot wait to experience it again soon. Especiallly after cutting down the calories in anticipation!  :)

Glad it's feeling a little fresher too.  8)

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Its true Lizilu. Before every trip we have the "Must try something different " conversation and then can't resist our old favourites .Before we know it we run out of time and then have the "We definitely must try something different next time "conversation

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »
bizzylizzy ::  Your posts  are fab and  continue  to make us sooooo  jealous . Pauline got the  "Red Velvet" recipe off Ibrahim last Sept and has   tried to match it on a number of occasions back home ,  but   not a chance even though she is a dam good cook ,  so it will be back for more at Gourmet this Sept/Oct,

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
I decided to get my gel nail polish removed. I had it on for youngest daughters wedding last Saturday and like my hair, roots were beginning to show. I feel a little guilty about the happy couple as apparently their first choice honeymoon destination was kalkan and I had to tell them that we had already booked to come 3 days after the wedding. This didn't deter them that much but I had to insist that they couldn't honeymoon with the new in laws. They have gone to Borneo instead and are sending regular pictures of orangutans and 5 star hotels and have said that it is almost as good as kalkan.
I located a beauty salon just up the steps from Café Leon and booked an appointment for the next day. We set off to walk to town and hadn't gone 5 yards when a car pulled up.  " Kalkan ?" Asked the driver. We hopped in and I began to thank him and introduce ourselves. "Turkish" he said swivelling right round to face us in the back and making a forefinger an thumb 'small' sign. "Turkish" I replied  returning the gesture.
Minutes later he dropped us off at the taxi rank and we left him with much hand waving and gestures of thanks and he returned gestures of ' no trouble' and' you're welcome'. What a lovely friendly bunch the locals are.
Into the salon and my nails were quickly enveloped in  tinfoil. An older turkish lady sat nearby and was having an expert pedicure. As the first foot was finished and the second one started another girl pulled up a
stool and began to give her a foot massage. It looked so good my mouth was almost watering .The lady herself was now punctuating her constant stream of chatter with little sighs of appreciation. Booking a pedicure is definitely on my 'to do' list before I go home .Half an hour later gel was off,a quick file and polish and I was done. The bill,  10 lira. Just less than a tenth of the cost I paid to have it put on!
Feeling well pampered I strutted down to Adem to meet  OH.We sat on the corner table and enjoyed the great views of the harbour, cold efes and their fantastic special meze for two. The owner joined us and proudly showed us his picture of himself and all the staff posing with Roy Hodgson. "ENGLAND MANAGER" was emblazoned along the bottom. "Ex England manager now " said OH. "I also have  photo of Freddie Flintoff, he is very tall" he replied as if this was some consolation.
That evening we dined at Sade. The place was buzzing,  The busiest I have seen all week. The new extension is well appointed with an inviting seating area and several extra tables. OH  chose the Sade special chicken. Chicken breast stuffed with spinach and feta cheese. I had a chicken skewer.Both were delicious  with good chips and well cooked rice and vegetables . The view of the street below is fantastic and a great place to relax as you let your meal digest.
We ended the evening as always Taxi, roof terrace, night cap  Bliss

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
Bizzylizzy, your posts are fantastic, just catching up on EK this morning, and what a pleasure it has been reading them. Thank you for taking the time to write them.  Sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday, and as for your food choices, Wow!  :D :D

J

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »
Yesterday we spent the afternoon at the Indigo beach club. We started with lunch on their beautiful  breezy terrace . We got the meze for two which couldn't be faulted. You don't know which way to look here. On one side you have the bay and islands, in front of you the harbour and lighthouses and on the other side the glorious mountains. Couple this with excellent people watching oportunities and I am in heaven. After this feast for all the senses we went down onto the deck to doze a while on the sunbeds .O H soon jumped in and swam out to the raft. I  am not a good swimmer and stayed near the steps.  My swimming abilities are a standing joke with my family. The most important thing to me is not to get my hair wet or to get any water on my face or in my ears , if I can possibly manage it i like to be able to put my feet on the bottom.This has led to the development of my own swimming style which is chin well above water,arms doing a very gentle sort of breast stroke  (so as not to splash face)legs gently waving behind. I progress at the speed of a snail
We decided to try the new Teras restaurant which is next door to the moonlight bar . The whole building has been revamped and is looking very smart and stylish. We sat on the corner table which gives amazing view of the bustling streets below . The staff were so attentive and friendly and complimentary starters
were served as we studied the fairly extensive menu. I was a little spoiled for choice, which usually means that we will have to go again to try something else.The food was very good and all in all I think this newcomer will do very well on the kalkan dining scene
One thing that we couldn't see from the terrace was little picco who is missing from the jewellery  shop.
Every night we enquire about him . His owner is so sad and I'm sure many people miss having a pat of him  (picco,not the owner) as they go down into town. Let's hope he is brought back safely soon
We are still loving the nightcap on the roof terrace and have even started to lie flat on the sun beds to look at the stars  (this is usually after a couple of extra drinks mind you) It is quite startling when you are in this position and the spotlights come on in the town. They shine directly over over our roof and light up the mountain above . I can't decide whether I like them or not but one thing's for sure,  If they shone 6 feet lower the whole of kalkan would be treated to the sight of us two peering drunkenly down.
What ever. We love it

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »
And I love your reports, keep 'em coming.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Living in Kalkan

Started by pnut on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:57:29 AM
by felicity
xx
living costs?

Started by albinoni on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 07:55:27 PM
by onelove
xx
living costs

Started by hils on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 09:32:08 PM
by hils
xx
Eye Tests for someone living in Kalkan

Started by maddie.ann on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 02:24:46 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal