Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Living la dolce vita  (Read 9890 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Living la dolce vita
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
 Countdown over and here we are .
Must do some grocery shopping today.No hurry though So we lingered on the roof terrace and drank in the fabulous view (and several cups of tea) The pool looked so inviting as the sun slid over the mountain and suddenly lt was noon Still no food (or beer) in the place so we decided to go out for a spot of lunch and then stock up on the way back. We are staying a little above the Mediterran hotel and being hardened Kalkan regulars  we like to walk down but don't be misled into thinking we are at all fit . If there were no taxis I would have to stay in town and sleep on the beach sunbeds .
We zigzagged down the mountain and were dismayed at the amount of closed up properties and empty pools.Sign of the times I suppose.
Oh boy, it was hot. As we crossed the D400 bridge "Mad dogs and English men" was playing   in my head.
We came into town via the White House passage. I love those old town streets. This allowed us to inspect and use the new road that cuts up from the beach. Sunset and Korsan meze are no longer clinging to the edge of the abyss and both are looking smart and ready for business. Down below cafe Kleo looks almost the same although they have not reinstated the beach side tables and chairs which were one of our favourite spots. Seaport is looking fabulous and the Golden plate is making quite a statement. Thankfully our beloved harbour appears to have risen again like a phoenix from the flames.
Detour into the Fener  and our first efes of the holiday .Halil greeted us warmly as ever but told us sadly how slow business had been.Looking along the harbour i have never seen so many of the pleasure boats in dock during the day. Again a sign of the times I suppose.
Ok  enough dallying we decided.  Up to the new Hunkars for lunch and then the Yali for supplies . We progressed slowly up through the town stopping many times for a quick hello with our many favourite restaurateurs and promises to visit soon.
Lunch at last! The new Hunkars is fresh, modern and the most noticeable change, spacious! Not changed are the lovely staff and the delicious food .We both opted for a beef and cheese pide which came with various salads and dips. All freshly prepared and a treat for the tastebuds. A lovely gentleman asked if he could join us. I think, like us, he may have been missing the "cheek by jowl " style of the old Hunkars .We had a lovely chat He owns several apartments around town and said he "commutes" between Kalkan and his North London home. How great is that.?More drinks appeared We discussed Brexit the footy,Renting and buying in Kalkan.Turkey in general and other topics which have become hazy with Efes.Someone (killjoy) mentioned it was 4 o'clock .Luckily,the Yali was not far away. We zoomed round the isles and that's when time stood still. No Efes "Tomorrow " muttered an embarrassed assistant,unable to meet our eyes. Heyho, into every life a little rain must fall
Jump into taxi. Carry a boot full of shopping up the 82 (yes 82) steps.Plunge into pool to stave off heatstroke. Oh its 6 o'clock. Time for a sundowner  .First day in kalkan over. God I love it

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13393.0

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Living la dolce vita
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
Great first blog! We've got another 4 and a bit weeks to wait, so this will help them speed by! Have a great time!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
Bizzylizzy what a fab fab first report.  Thank you.  The new Hunkar sounds fab  :D

J

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing bizzylizzy I do love a holiday report!

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
Great report bizzylizzy .  We have a small place up by the mediterran  that also has about 80 steps,   but boy  oh boy those views are worth every step  climb,   best views in Kalkan from that part of Kizilitas bar none,

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
We have a property directly  below the Mediterran - definitely the best views in Kalkan (in our opinion)! - sunsets are spectacular - we sometimes visit the Hotel bar for a sundowner - wonderful - make sure if you visit to bring your camera - non-residents welcome.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
Wow! What a fab first report.  :) sounds like you're having my kind of holiday bizzylizzy. Our first holiday to Kalkan was spent in a villa just above the Mediterran and the view was indeed magnificent. I don't envy you the walk though. It was after that holiday that I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my knees and although we walked it into town every day, it really put the pressure on them. Some of those inclines are almost vertical!

How lucky are we with two lots of holiday reporters on the go. I'm sitting in the back garden, soaking up the rays before the rain comes again and savouring every word. I'm already looking forward to your next installments.  :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
Great report bizzylizzy - missing Kalkan already & we have only been back five days after nearly three weeks in heaven.....

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »
Yes Brian. Every step is worth it for that wonderful view. Did you notice the clue I  left for you in the title?

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:38 PM »
Plenty of Efes in Yale today, must have had an emergency delivery.

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
So Ready for our first night out in kalkan. We lingered far too long over the sundowners but couldn't resist watching the sun sink and suddenly it was dark. A pattern of lingering too long seems to be emerging here but when something is so enjoyable  its difficult to move along even when you know  the next thing is going to be just as good.
We hustled on down towards town but stopped to talk to a couple who were waiting for a taxi and so fortunately hopped in with them.Alternatif seemed the handiest solution given the lateness of the hour and we were whisking up those wooden steps a few moments later.
We certainly made no mistake with our choice Front row table gave us a fabulous view and the people watching was second to none The old Moonstone is now bright and  modern with a trendy little bar area designed to make you want to linger . It has an excellent menu which had me spoiled for choice .
Complimentary starters appeared.Garlic bread, olives and a couple of truly yummy dips
I chose a dish of diced chicken breast cooked with pastrami and mushrooms in a creamy sauce. This ls a combination I haven't had before but boy does it work.OH chose the lamb shank. No comment was needed from him as all that was left on his plate were two picked clean  bones,
We ended the meal with two complimentary lattes which were beatifully made and served and would put any posh coffee shop to shame. The love and pride with which they do everything shines through
Quick stroll around town. Quieter than other years maybe but still plenty of that great kalkan atmosphere.
Jump into taxi. Nightcap on the roof terrace. Moon, stars,kalkan twinkling below Bliss Bliss bliss.
God, I love it

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
bizzylizzy ,  you are torturing us with your great blogs ,   while you are living the dolce vita  ( the hint was spotted ) all we can do is look at our photos from May,   and dream of September /October when we are out next  ,  would love to meet up later in the year if we get the chance !    enjoy those  fab views  every morning afternoon and evening   and keep the blogs coming
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:50:30 AM by brian j p »

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »
That's a definate date Brian . Looking forward to it already

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
Gosh,it's Saturday already. I did write a report yesterday but lost it when the power went off. A disaster yes but a worse one was averted when the power returned around 6 30 Whithout straIghtners I am definitely Frizzy Lizzy .So a brief resume of the last couple of days
Thursday  evening we visited  Salt and pepper. I had the sasha steak which is a combination of chicken breast and fillet steak in "chefs special spicy sauce "It was beautifully presented ."Pretty yes?" Said the waiter as he slid it in front of me. A work of art actually and I felt guilty for disassembling it. There was far to much meat for me but any meat lovers out there will be in for a treat with this . OH ordered their lasagne which he loves and has most times we visit S and P  Now  I know there is a lot of interest in chips amongst some of you kalkan regulars so I must report on these.if there was a nobel prize for cooking chips these guys would be right up there. Chip aficionados, it's worth a visit for the chips alone
Yesterday, after a relaxing morning around the pool we decided on one of our regular jaunts.A stroll along the kalamar road .Stop off at Johnnys to enjoy an efes or two on his lovely quirky little balcony and then on  to Café vita for lunch. Shock horror  Johnnys is abandoned. What a shame . We have idled many a happy hour here and the people watching was superb. On to Café vita then without pause to recuperate The thermometer outside the Nur said 39 degrees so we were ready for a cold one in the shade .
A warm welcome at Vita. In rapid succession they provided a shady table, a fan,ice cold water and cool beer. Too hot for much to eat I asked for the fruit salad with ice cream. What a treat I got. Imagine every fruit that is available in kalkan all freshly diced and sliced into pieces small enough to allow you to have a little of everything in the same spoonful . The ice cream was softly melting in the  middle of the plate and a light dusting of cinammon completed this marvelous treat.  OH had their legendary hawaian pizza and the chips They were very chunky, perfectly cooked and golden and definatley worth a mention  (well,I had to try a couple or 3 for the purpose of research)
Taxi home  cool off in the pool, nearly time for a sundowner on the roof terrace. God I love it

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »
Bizzylizzy we are absolutely loving your reports. Thank you  :) :) :)

J and B

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Me too....!! Love hearing what other visitors are up to at the same time as us.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Thanks  kalkan4eva Just been re reading your posts . Maybe we should do lunch. We have mozzie bites,aching calves,kalkankles and unruly hair in common Also we are constantly looking for our next perfect rental for september/october.This one is pretty perfect but the owners are inconsiderately using it then  (just  kidding Brian)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
One day we'll all have a massive kankle, frizzy haired get together!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
Wouldn't that be good!!  :D :D :D although today I am experiencing a very frizzy hair day! and that was only going from our front door to the car in the torrential rain here in Dorset!

Offline Stoner122

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
Good blog thank you! Can you recommend good restaurant with view for our first visit in Aug with 15 year old teen?! :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Living in Kalkan

Started by pnut on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:57:29 AM
by felicity
xx
living costs?

Started by albinoni on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 07:55:27 PM
by onelove
xx
living costs

Started by hils on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 09:32:08 PM
by hils
xx
Advice please on living in Kalkan!

Started by jaykay on Living In Kalkan

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 08:56:08 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal