Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And relaaaax  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
And relaaaax
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »
We arrived last night. We've flown with Easyjet from Edinburgh for the past few years and usually arrive in Kalkan anytime from 11-11:30pm. This time we were here by 10!  This was due to good tailwinds, but mostly because instead of the usual 30 minute queue at passport control we breezed through in under five minutes. Hardly any flights, when normally there were lots at the same time.  Baggage hall equally empty, just our luggage and one other flight.  So our bags arrived in no time.  Then another sign of far fewer tourists - only 15 or so drivers waiting for their clients.  I do so hope business picks up as people realise it's as safe as anywhere here and more beautiful, with the loveliest people.  Fingers crossed.

Rainy journey but the near full moon peeked from behind the clouds to light our way.  Then that view, the twinkling lights welcoming us home. Magic. Dumped our bags and into Chilliest for a delicious pide and tavuk şiş washed down with a cold Efes.  Heaven.

This morning it was cloudy with the odd passing light rain shower as we went to the greengrocer to stock up on wonderful fruit and salad items - so cheap and so fresh.  Then to Yali to get the rest.  Now, as I have my afternoon cuppa by the pool the sky is nearly all blue sky, just a fringe of light cloud skirting the mountains. 

We're home. We're in heaven. We are so relaxed.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13314.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: And relaaaax
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
Welcome home, Rachey :)
Looking forward to hearing all about your stay and your food adventures!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »
Oh that sounds like heaven Rachey. Have a wonderful holiday and thanks in anticipation for the reports that I hope will continue.

It did sound quiet in Dalaman and it will be interesting to see what it's like in August.

I'm really looking forward to reading  your reports too.  :) 8)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
Kalkan is basking in hot sunshine this morning, as it has the past few days.  I've needed a pashmina later in the evenings, but I'm a wuss and my OH can't understand my need for a wee bit extra warmth  ;D
Fabulous meals as ever: lovely lunch and the most delicious home made lemon cheesecake at Vanilya, Esra is such a lovely person.  Yesterday we had lunch at Marleys opposite Hunkar. Lovely vibe and good food.  They serve Tuborg which was nice for a change. 13TL for a large bottle. Also a good spot to watch the workman busy expanding Hunkar into what I still think of as Breeze. Looks a long way off completion, but you know how quickly the workmen can turn things around.
Meandered through the village yesterday. Pretty quiet, but some folk around.  Barbaros in Goz Optician was doing good trade, which we added to with an order for some gorgeous Prada varifocals. I won't get glasses anywhere else now as it's less than half the price of the U.K. With better quality.
Evening meals: Gourmet is as ever our absolute favourite, Sakir and Ibrahim are like family now.  Superb as ever.  Quite a good number of folk in. I was dismayed to see Kalamaki quiet and empty by just after 9pm. That place is always so busy, so it's a sign of the town being quieter than usual.  But more people seem to be appearing, so fingers crossed!  We also went to Salt and Pepper - another one of our top picks.  Ibrahim and Nihat and Ismail are so lovely.  Ibrahim has a wicked sense of humour. Lovely food.  Then we've been to see the wonderful Rami at Smyrna aka Ramis Terrace. The free pre starter mezze there is superb! 
We usually start our evenings with Çimıruk (no idea if that spelling is even close!) at Yali Bar (large Efes 13 TL), and now also at Shade Lounge owned by Haşim who used to work at Yali. It's along the road from Salonika. He's a sweetie and deserves to do well.  Oh yes, we also ate at Salonika,  nice, but food was cold and service a bit frenetic.  Really lovely vibe though and no doubt just early season hiccups. 
So, Kalkan awaits you all: warm sun and warmer welcome.  Heaven.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
Thanks for posting, Rachey. I see on KTLN there's a new supermarket opening within staggering distance of "our place". If you get a chance to pop in, let us know what you think.
You're certainly doing your bit for the local economy....! So many restaurants and bars already patronised in such a short amount of time...love it!
Looking forward to reading more about your stay :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal