Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan Episode VIII - The Pompies Awaken  (Read 12078 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan Episode VIII - The Pompies Awaken
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
Well that crept up on us quick, so quickly that I'd forgotten to take out travel insurance. Because we went to New York last October we had US insurance instead of Europe, so it was panic, good job I'd done some research earlier in the year and found my Saga quote.
Just been up in the roof to get cases out & check travel toiletries are all in place, clothes laid out on the beds ready to be packed. Cameras & spare batteries all charged up, plugs, anti mossie stuff all topped up just in case. Taxi confirmed for 3 o'clock pick up ready for 7:10 TC cattle plane out of Gatwick.
Strangely enough I've no plans in my head of what we are going to do apart from a day on the boat with the Yildiz boys & Tuesday market at Fethiye. Over the years we've done all the local sites & even gone further afield to see St Nicholas so it could be just a lazy week by the pool at the apartment in Kisla we have booked. Reading some of the other topics we want to try Salonika, sounds good but will miss our brunches at Fener enjoying watching the boats going out, will have to try some new places to eat as our traditional first & last, Alternatif, isn't open yet. I've been buying packets of seeds to take over to Adem for his garden so it'll be nice to see him & the family. Just for a change I'm going to leave the car behind & get a taxi in & back so I can have more than 1 Efes of an evening.
Even though I retired at the end of October my part time casual job driving a little van has been full time for the last couple of months so am looking forward to a Turkish bath & a massage to relax my aging back.
So time to leave the forum for a week so you don't get bored with my rambling blogs.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13262.0

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan Episode VIII - The Pompies Awaken
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
Give up the forum? :o

Are you mad? ???

Carry on blogging - that's what we're all waiting to read!

{A Saga travel Insurance quote was reasonable?  How did you manage that?}
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
Safe journey Pompeyalbie and I'm very much looking forward to your ramblings.  :) :)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
 :D Ramble away please!

Have a great time.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »
We are here  :D , nice smooth run up to Gatwick arriving in plenty of time. Thomas Cook seem to have got some new planes as the Airbus was quite spacious & a lot smaller than previous flights, although we did have young kids behind us being a pain. A lot of cloud coming in to Dalaman made it a bit bumpy. Hired a car from Pandora Cars and have to say it's not the best car we've hired but it'll do. A couple of hairy moments with aborted overtakes due to lack of oomph, stopped by traffic police before Calis  but waved through when they realised we were tourists. Weather was a bit damp with spray of bigger vehicles, lots of road improvements going on. However, when we turned the bend above the bay the sun came out and the sea sparkled. After an unpack we popped into town to get a few bits to top up the welcome pack the owner had arranged for us, thanks Phil.
After a bath & a cuppa we went into town for something to eat, we'd not eaten properly since 5 am and it was 6pm UK time. There's been a lot of changes since last May. First stop was to see Ozay at MissSilver, they've done changes to both shops and Janet already has her eye on a bracelet and a watch. Popped around the corner to suss out where Salonika is and chatted to the a boss so that's on the must visit list. Having seen that Aalternatif is open we had to go there, it's a favourite of ours, no more going down the steep hill & having to climb it again, this time it is up a flight of orange stairs to the roof terrace. Mustafa was up there and was as welcoming as always, his second night & the weather was gloomy with the odd flash out at sea, we'd had a shower of rain just before we arrived. We were the only customers so had plenty of time to chat & catch up, seems he is going to run for mayor of Kas in 2019. Right on to the food, I had what I always have for starters there, Calamari & it was  beautiful, not rubbery and presented so nicely, forgot a complimentary mezz of garlic bread with olives, garlic yoghurt & another dish, Janet has an allergy to garlic so I woofed the lot. For her starter she had prawn boreks which she likes. The view is really good for somewhere tucked behind the trees in the road. We both went for steaks, I had the Chefs special with a pepper sauce with onions & mushrooms while Janet had the Alternatif Specila with was with mushrooms and a nice sauce. Someone said yesterday they did the best steaks in town and they are right, done just how you asked and oh so tender. Because it was only their second day there weren't any desserts on offer  but hey ho we were happy with a nice Turkish coffee. A few more customers arrived so it wasn't a complete washout for them, a free drink each, 10% discount off the bill & an Ameretto to finish left a certain lady a little bit squiffy considering we'd been travelling all day & not really eaten properly. I think a taxi to town and back will be the order of the day in future .
Tomorrow we have a few jobs to do, I have a couple of watches I want Ozay to repair, a couple of pairs of glasses I want Goz to upgrade with new lenses, a boat trip to book & Janet wants to look in Bella's boutique for a dress to wear at my son's wedding in July.
In the past we've noticed that you don't seem to see stars in the sky at night but tonight the sky is clear and they are all out twinkling up there, stood on the top balcony with my iPad app spotting Jupiter shining brightly..

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Thanks for letting us know you arrived safely. 

Not a good idea to get a bit sqiffy at the top of those stairs to the new Alternatif.

Look forward to hearing more as this is getting me in the mood for our trip in 2 weeks. 

J

Offline Drakeasinduck

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
6 weeks to go for us!  Alternatif is always our first night too. I can already taste those wonderful steaks!

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »
Sounds yum!! whereabouts is the new Alternatif, whats it near i.e. somewhere like hunkers?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 08:38:28 PM »
Aaahh, welcome home Pompeyalbie....good to have some holiday reports to read and I for one, don't care if it's just weather, where you ate, what you ate and what you thought of it..I'd be happy. Also the legendary Janet's dark arts of shopping are a particular favourite of mine, so don't hold back.
The new spot for Alternatif is a good one - Moonstone for the past couple of years and I can't remember the restaurant before that, but even through the trees, it's a great panoramic view of Kalkan. Holidaylover28, the new home for Alternatif is above Utopia Bar (next to Moonlight Bar)
Hope the weather picks up - clear skies is a good sign :) BTW, the one efes and driving is only permitted if you aren't carrying passengers. It's zero tolerance when Janet's on board....so unless you are pulling her along on a skateboard, you are doing the right thing getting taxis in and out of the village.
Interested to know how you find Kisla..? And please don't say you just carry on past Patara Prince and there it is :-*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:40:25 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
yep i know where it is, thank you  ;D another one to add to the list in just over 4 weeks time ;)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
K4E, for years we always rented a villa in the Lycian City complex up by the secondary school but they began to look a bit tired so I looked elsewhere & found Elmas over in Kisla last year. It is a lovely apartment just along from Bobs Supermarket. The view is amazing across the bay, I'll stick a photo from the balcony on the Enjoy Kalkan Facebook page as it's easier than uploading on here. It's easy to get into town as well.
Today was a typical first full day, doing odds & ends, visiting old faces & seeing what's changed. Parked up at the bottom of cardiac hill by the Pirat & popped in to see Tumay at the lower MissSilver shop, they've been working hard on improving it & it looks good with loads of new shiny bits to catch Janet's eye. Luckily some customers came in so I could drag her away before she ba came too attached to a new trinket. Next stop was the harbour to book up a day at sea on one of the Yildiz boats, Zaynep literally ran off her brothers boat to say hello, all booked up for tomorrow as it is supposed to be nice and calm. Next stop was the big disappointment, up where the new builds are being worked on, oh dear, I don't know when any of them plan to open but they were digging a trench along the front of them all. Fener was getting a lick of paint so hopefully that will be open for you luckier ones coming later on. I had to feel sorry for all those restaurants on the harbour with all the dust & Lorries & cement mixers going up & down, can't be good for their daytime trade. Next stop was to the opticians, Janet needed her distance sunglasses replacing & I had 2 pairs of old ones needing updated lens a lot cheaper than new glasses as the frames good ones. The lighter wallet made it easier to climb up the street. On to Belma's Boutik to see if she had a dress Janet can wear to my son's wedding in July but alas there was nothing so it looks like I could be dragged around clothes shops in Fethiye on Tuesday. With no Fener I thought we'd have lunch at Merkez but that was also closed & having a spruce up so we eventually ended up at Cafe Leon for a snack & a drink. Back to the car via the Pandora shop, which is now down opposite Salt & Pepper, and the glass shop which has some nice pieces in which will need careful packing when we go back and buy some. The hire car made it back up Cardiac & off we went to book dinner at Adam's for Sunday night. He doesn't change bless him, his fresh produce has been under attack from one of his chickens & while he was showing me his lettuces he found another raider lurking in the undergrowth, a little tortoise which was dispatched with his friend to somewhere else away from his garden. It was nice to see some of the seeds we'd brought him over the years in flower, who else in Turkey has nasturtium growing in their garden, I should've brought him some bluebell bulbs to introduce to his garden. After a swift fruit juice it was back to the apartment for a lazy afternoon by the pool soaking up the Rays. The wind started to get up mid afternoon so we retired inside. I'd brought my Fire tv stick with a bit of software on so Janet was able to continue her normal afternoon routine, Channel 5 racing, if only she bet on all these winners she tells me she'd picked we'd be rich.
We'd earlier booked a table at Sade as it was the very first place we ate at on our very first visit so always go there at least once a trip. They've extended to the roof next door to add a couple of extra tables & a relaxing area where you can have a drink. I won't bore you with what we ate as some readers don't like reading that but needless to say it was up to their usual standard & you can see why they are high on the Trip advisor ratings. Efes seem to be around 13TL a bottle nowadays. We had a few showers tonight after a nice sunset but at least the wind has dropped now.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »
I'm with K4E.....I love a holiday report, no details are too boring! Waiting with baited breath to hear about Janet's shopping exploits!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »
Thank you Pompeyalbie what a lovely read your blog is. Sounds like you have done lots already. Have a great day on yildez today. We too are just thinking about pre booking our boat trips for July. What's the day trip price this year? The lovely Adem and his seeds. What a gentleman he is. We have taken him seeds too in previous years. :D Please keep on posting we all love it and hope Janet manages to get her outfit sorted   :D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »
Please spare no details! Jayne. osman quoted me 70tl for my trip in July which i think is the same as last year.  Pleased to hear Fener is looking like opening...it is such a 'staple' for many Kalkanites that it would be sad to see it closed.  We went several times last year and took no notice whatsoever of the half finished units....i do hope they finish the road surface infront of Seaport etc though, that looks like an accident waiting to happen.  Sounds as though the new 'in' street is where Salonika is these days.  8 weeks today and I will be Kalkan bound with my lovely friend Natalie...need to come up with a good blog title!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
Same price as last year, 70TL and worth every cent of it. The sea wasn't cold at all so lots of snorkelling, being a Saturday Adam has both his son's along as crew while his wife was busy in the galley, how she produces those meals I don't know. Gloriously sunny & quite calm out there, even a few turtles around popping their heads up. No need to regale tales as we've all been on the boat trip, although it was longer than normal we never got back until 6pm, also not many boats doing trips at the moment. There seems to be a lot of building work going on in Kalamar Bay so maybe the law of stopping work when the season starts has been relaxed or the season hasn't officially started.  Bad news of the day was that I boarded as a ghost & got off as a lobster, I never learn, "Stupid boy, Pike'.
At a bit of a loose end today as not sure what to do but dinner at Adam's tonight will be good.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 09:20:34 PM »
At a loose in Kalkan? There's always something to do even if it's just sitting and watching! My favourite days are when there is nothing to do.....give me the sunshine and a good book and I'm happy  :laugh:

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
We went to Kas in search of the elusive dress for the wedding, unfortunately Janet is tall & slim so a lot were ruled out immediately, we did find one that nearly fitted but that eventually got ruled out. After a bit of lunch it was back to Kalkan, I love driving along the coast road, reminds me of the original Italian Job. Parked up down by the harbour & it looks like Fener will be open soon as chairs were being put out, same with Seaport in the new builds. Merkez also looks like it will be fully opened in the next day or so which will be nice. First stop was May Boutik where they had a grey number she liked but unfortunately it was a little tight across her back, on we go across the street to Belma's  where I think we've found a winner, albeit similar to one she bought a couple of years ago which made an appearance at Royal Ascot. On our way back to the car we stopped off at Trio for a refreshing homemade mint & Ginger lemonade, recommended if you are passing.
Dinner was at Adam's he picked us up in Kisla, sadly we were his only customers tonight but we had time to sit and chat about the family & his garden, his wife even invited to Samira's engagement in September. Brought him some flower seeds again including sweet peas so if you have them in a vase on your table later in the year remember us. This is another restaurant we always visit simply because we love the simplicity of the food, none of your range cordon bleu 2 chips & a carrot as your vegetables, this is real home cooking and plenty of it. I look at the menu but I always go back to my favourites either the meze ( which is huge) or fried lambs liver followed by his famous Lamb Shank or Black & White Steaks. Just to be a tease I'll let you guess which way I went. Janet had Fried mushrooms and Chicken Alacreme which was huge, I'm getting her a child's portion next time.
Tomorrow I think we'll be off to Patara to see if they've dug anymore ruins out then up to Islamar for a nice trout lunch. We asked Adam about the going to see the inside of the mosque & he gave us some advice so we are going to do that tomorrow as it is something we've been meaning to do for a long time.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
All sounds wonderful, my mouth is watering just thinking about Adem's food, your so right Pompeyalbie it is simplicity at it's best and always on our list to go every holiday.  I always opt for the shrimp casserole which is divine! the best I have had yet to be honest, OH has sampled the lamb shank and the black and white steaks, both of which are fab too! What did you end up having?

Glad Janet has decided on a dress, bet she is pleased :D

Thanks for the info re the boat prices, was trying hard to not book any boat trips until we arrive this year, but couldn't resist it, so am just about to book Kekova, Yildez and Pina X, and as a treat a trip to Meis and we can't wait!  :D :D

Sadly our summer in the UK lasted 48 hours as it's raining and cold again now and the heating back on! but reading this has cheered up a dreary Monday evening! Thank you.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and look forward to your next blog  :D :D

J&B

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:58:03 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »
Still gloriously sunny in North Wales...so making the most of it :)
I'm curious, Pompeyalbie...do you really believe Janet is done at just the one dress..? Think again, my friend. I can't believe you went in the sea this early in the season, it's usually icy cold and what a school-boy error not to slather yourself in Factor 100. Hope your sunburn is better today.
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
Good news re Fener, Merkez and Seaport. Hope you get chance to visit this holiday.

It was nice hearing about Adem, this year is the first time we have been in Kalkan and not visited. We always call, even if it's only for a drink, buit for some reason just didn't seem to get chance. Hopefully we will go in August and report back on how the seeds are flourishing.  :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay and I'm really enjoying reading all about it. Sadly our nice weather has disappeared for now but I'm hoping it makes another appearance before summer is officially over!  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

All down hill

Views: 2379
By: LancashireLass
sunset at Patara