Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan update -1st May 2016  (Read 7473 times)

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Kalkan update -1st May 2016
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
I don't normally post holiday reports but thought I would give those fellow Kalkan lovers an update on how things are doing over here just now. We have been here for over 2 weeks and this is our normal visiting time - mid April to end May, so we see Kalkan starting to get over its winter hibernation and ready for the tourist season.

This will be a bit of a ramble but if you're interested stick with it.

Kalamar Bay - as always at this time of year it's dead quite, albeit this year the tranquility has been disturbed with the start of a major construction project below the Kalamar Hotel. This development is going to be significant but will culminate in properties with amazing views over the bay.

Round the corner on this peninsular is another huge development that is entered via the new road that was cut in the hillside last year. (road round corner from Kalkan Regency). Nothing has been built yet but the ground works are major. Another development where the views will be breathtaking.

Kalamar Road - great to see Yelken open again after fire. Quality place and owners and staff lovely people. Give it a go.

Cafe Vita - Mustafa ever busy and has its usual regular clientele.

Brothers - haven't eaten in here this season but another lovely family and enjoyed the food last year.

Former Yesil Ev (sorry can't remember name) - Can from Can Can and his son Deniz have opened up a new restaurant at this location. It's been a few things but they have fitted it out great and say they have a great chef (apparently former Chef from Gironda 10 years ago)

Heading further along to the first roundabout

Hunkars have aquired the old Corner site and have demolished it. They intend to break through and expand into this site. Work is well underway. This will be a very big Hunkars when finished.

Just up the road towards the Market - coriander is open and excellent. Try the Turkish kitchen food at lunchtime. Delicious.

Nur Patiserie has expanded along its front and made a good job of it.

Ayses Kitchen at Bus Station - must get a mention for best lunchtime food in Kalkan (ok bit biased and really like the people and the laid back approach)

Back down the hill and heading into town

Sopranos (former Han) - the former front of house at Coriander has opened up  a new venture this season. Still to be tried.

Mussaka - Mehmet has retained his spot and not moved down to harbour. Food still very good

Alternatif - Mustafa has moved to the big terrace above Utopia bar. Not yet opened.

Now for a great addition to Kalkan and sure to be the place to go.

The street straight along from Moonlight where Isos Kitchen used to stand alone. Well a few new places have opened and this street is looking great. A lot of the old buildings have been renovated and they have done a fantastic job.

Salonica - fantastic food. A must go.

Shade? - a new bar just opened a couple of days ago.

Old Town Cafe Hotel - fantastic refurb of old house. 6 fantastic rooms and great coffee and home made cakes that I can promise you are amazing.

Botanik - Namik has as always developed his garden bar further and well worth a visit.

Heading back and going down the hill

All the old favourites - Sade, Paprika, Gironda, Gourmet, Kalamaki, etc are still there and raring to go.

Harbour Side - not a place I frequently eat out but the Aubergines, Trio, Doy Doy, etc are all open for business.

Going the other way to the new units. This regretably  is an eye sore at the moment. The 6 new units are in varying states of fit out. From my perspective the jury remains out. Here's hoping that when fitted out they will come to life

The Phase 2 work that seen the area behind the beach and the demolition of the council cafes is a sorry state. Best avoided truth be told.

Work continues on the refurb of the old ruins and this will be a great addition.

Overall assessment.

Really not much difference from other years at this stage. The locals are clearly concerned about the tourism numbers and fear the worst. However, truth be told, they are always like this at this time of year. The weather has been glorious and the peace and quiet is what makes this time of year just magic. If you are having second thoughts about coming - don't. Kalkan still has that magic that you won't find anywhere else.

Finally it wouldn't be Kalkan without giving you a dog update and before the extremists from both sides start venting their rath this is my own honest assessment. There does appear to be less dogs in the town centre. However, this may because they have all moved up to where we are. There are two packs - one of 6 and the other of 8 who every night meet immediately below our apartment and bark for Turkey! It is a nightmare. I say no more.

Anyway enough of that!

Get yourself over this year and support the locals. They need your cash and in return they will provide a fantastic service - most of the time!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13260.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Kalkan update -1st May 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Thanks for that comprehensive update happy days, very helpful.

The new restaurant opposite can can - the former yesil ev, is called porcini if I remember rightly and I'm looking forward to trying it in August. We never got chance to try sopranos in April or Marleys bar. So many lovely places and never enough time to try them all.  :)

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
great update. the reason that there are less dogs is because some of the restaurant owners signed a petition and had them moved
to the overcrowded "Dogs Home " in Kas . poor things  :'(

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:36 PM »
Janet has just gone in to shock, Alternatif not opened yet!! She'll be banging on the door demanding that Mustafa gets it opened. What's the score with Fener? Is it still there amongst the building site? We love our brunch & chilling out by the lighthouse.
Thanks for the update and the comments about the restaurants.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »
Happy Days, thank you for your very informative up-to-date post, really helpful, and a pleasure to read, it has certainly brightened up my Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK in the rain, but on a positive at least it's May, and we can now say we will be in Kalkan the month after next! We too can't wait to try some of the new places that have opened this year.  :D

J&B

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
Excited to see the pictures of Hünkars but anxious at the same time....will it lose its charm if tripled in size? 60 sleeps

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
Janet has just gone in to shock, Alternatif not opened yet!! She'll be banging on the door demanding that Mustafa gets it opened. What's the score with Fener? Is it still there amongst the building site? We love our brunch & chilling out by the lighthouse.
Thanks for the update and the comments about the restaurants.

No sign of anything happening at Fener. Such a shame as its a real favourite spot for a lot of people. Just caught in up harbour area redevelopment unfortunately.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Yes, Fener is sorely missed. We had our first boat trip of the season on Saturday and it was such a shame not to be able to pop into Fener for our traditional post-boat-trip snifter.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
Thanks, happy days. Really appreciate the comprehensive update and good to know what's open and what's changed. It's a shame about the harbour front and the fact that it's unlikely to be completed this season. Hope Fener does open though, it will be a huge loss to Kalkan if it doesn't. My ice cream stop will be sorely missed :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »
Was talking to the guy from Kleo and he said even if Fener doesn't ppen the ice cream man will be back :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »
Oh that's good to know Charlie, thanks.  :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
With all the upheavals, maybe trying a different place may be a jaw-dropping experience, as you wonder why you never went before.

We're all creatures of habit, us included, but we do try to find 'somewhere different' each year.  Sometimes the "somewhere different" becomes the "new habit"!.

I suppose we change as much as the venues do…?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
Just been watching the webcam...isnt it time the pedestrianisation was brought in....Moonlights tables are creeping further and further out! Cars are doing 6 point turns to get round! Great to see the street looking busier...enjoy Alternatif's opening tonight xx LOVE their steaks ! 

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:48:16 AM »
Great news about Alternatif :D currently sat at Gatwick waiting our 7:10 out. Will give Mustafa a try tonight & report back.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
You are obviously there now Pompeyalbie, have a fab time, and hopefully a report or 2 if you have time. Enjoy!  :D

Offline magic3

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
Thank you for the comprehensive update. Always love to know what's happening in Kalkan/Kalmar Bay. It was great to hear about Kalamar Bay. Can't wait until to be there again. Fingers crossed that as the holiday season approaches and our weather continues to be totally rubbish tourists get tempted by the great prices and venture to Turkey for their holidays. We would go anywhere else.   :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan Update - end May 2010

Started by happy days on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 09:31:34 PM
by Chucky
xx
Kalkan - 1 week September 2016

Started by drpinner on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
what new businesses would you like to see in Kalkan for 2016 onwards

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post November 26, 2015, 05:57:59 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Weather Update

Started by greggiea on Weather

0 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 09:28:41 PM
by greggiea

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Omars 20/9/07

Views: 4771
By: Wendy
Gulet