Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Unhelpful (for tourism) Sunday Times' article  (Read 11079 times)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Unhelpful (for tourism) Sunday Times' article
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
Did anyone see the report in yesterday's Sunday Times? It says:

"Israel issued an urgent call on Friday for its citizens to leave Turkey immediately, citing fears of an imminent terror attack.
The United States has also advised its citizens to leave, warning of “credible threats” in Istanbul and the coastal city of Antalya. Israelis were told to avoid tourist areas and to get out of the country as soon as possible. Israeli authorities said the threat level was both “concrete” and “high”. The alert also applied to tourist sites across the country, in contrast with previous warnings which focused on Istanbul, synagogues and Jewish schools."

Not good news. And I tend to trust the Israeli intelligence service in these matters.  :( :( :(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13232.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Unhelpful (for tourism) Sunday Times' article
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
I receive all warnings from the US Embassy in Ankara.  The warning did NOT say that all Americans should leave.  It says:

"The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey.  Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. "  Only the families of government employees are being removed, not private citizens or tourists.

It also advises Americans to be alert to their surroundings and to avoid crowds, gatherings, demonstrations and SE Turkey.

A 2nd alert of April 9 speaks of credible threats to public squares in Istanbul and docks in Antalya.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:04:37 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
Typical press - take a fact, distort it and sensationalise any part of it that might possibly sell one or two more papers. No wonder people are deserting the newspapers in favour of the much more reliable BBC News online.

(Irony alert).

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
I would say the The Times isn't usually in the sensationalist school of reporting, quite the opposite...they tend to be balanced and fact driven.  This particular article wasn't in a prominent place, so certainly not headlines and therefore trying to sell papers off the back of it....could anyone really see past the Cameron headlines this weekend anyway? I did read it though and it did worry me. Something similar also appeared in The Guardian on Saturday http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/09/american-citizens-turkey-us-embassy-travel-warning-airstrikes-isis
The fact remains that Israel believes the victims of the recent suicide bombing in Istanbul were targeted  (3 of the 4 who died were from Israel) and they are telling their citizens to rule out ANY travel to Turkey. This is not without good reason as Turkey and Israel have been working hard to rebuild their fractured relationship since 2010.
We are living in uncertain times...but it does make us more vigilant. Turkey will have to ride the storm this year...maybe the next few years - who knows? I really think the fact that its a Muslim country and ISIL (or whatever they call themselves this week..) are a radicalised version of the same religion is what is really putting people off...not the border proximity etc. I never hear people say they are worried about travelling to France ???
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
I really think the fact that its a Muslim country and ISIL (or whatever they call themselves this week..) are a radicalised version of the same religion is what is really putting people off...not the border proximity etc. I never hear people say they are worried about travelling to France ???

I bet the same people wouldn't think twice about travelling to Croatia...

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »
Or the Maldives...
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Article about Cirali from today's Sunday times

Started by Carrie on Other Resorts

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 02:52:01 PM
by Carrie
xx
Sunday Express article

Started by RosiB on Buying A Property & Real Estate

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 07:12:06 AM
by kevincat99
xx
The Sunday Times Travel Mag

Started by Begonvil on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 08:51:25 PM
by Livingproof
xx
Kalkan in the Sunday Times

Started by Mags on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bezigan Village

Views: 3748
By: frangaz16
The Boys