Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!  (Read 31184 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Tuesday 5/4/16

The countdown begins...4 days, 3 hours and 6 min to our flight to Dalaman!

It's Turkey with a twist for us this year and a series of firsts.

First time for a twin centre trip and the very first time with only 3 of us. Our eldest 2 daughters are not holidaying with us this year  and our family of sometimes 5, sometimes 4 is down to a 3. If I'm truthful, this has put a little damper on the excitement and build up to our long awaited spring break as this is a new development in the Lizilu household and a sign of change, our fledglings, flying the nest and finding some independence. Heavens knows what I'll be like as they leave for Uni in September but that's another story and back to the one in hand.

This year we are having a little change, 2 weeks instead of 1 thanks to our youngest's school having the Easter holidays later and fooling the holiday companies. For the first time in our lives, we have paid the same as regular tourists who don't have to go in the school holidays and that saving has meant that we can have an extra week plus splash out a little on a hotel in Fethiye for a few days before travelling on to Kalkan.

So the preparations begin and started good and proper last weekend with a trip round a very busy home bargains for the sun creams and basic toiletries. As I was perusing the shampoos, a very smart looking but doddery elderly chap politely asked my OH if he could see the Bovril. Hmm Bovril among the toiletry section? I had to intervene at this point. He said that the shop assistant had told him the Bovril was near the door, well we were near the door but no sign of Bovril. I told him I'd investigate and grabbed the shop assistant. The store was heaving with customers and they were all dodging around this poor elderly bloke, grabbing their soap and toothpaste. I explained that this gentleman was searching for Bovril, to which she replied in a very loud and exasperated voice "I know, he's already asked me and I told him that the bog roll is by the door"!!!! Well both me and OH cracked up laughing, as did the other shoppers and the poor old chap said very quietly, "I asked for Bovril" not toilet tissue. "Bloody hell" she said, "I was sure you asked for Bog roll, come on then" and frog marched him down the food aisle and at this point I was having to cross my legs and nearly grab some tena lady's off the shelf! Oh it was funny and it really lifted my mood. I'm happy to say that the dapper chap got his Bovril too.  ;D

So with your permission, provided you all don't mind, it will  be business as usual on the holiday report front, with a little Fethiye twist to hopefully bring a little sunshine and light hearted relief to what have been sad and eventful times of late.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13227.0

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Oh I second that BL, goody!!! been waiting patiently for your first instalment Lizilu, and it has certainly brightened up my day, although I so wish we were joining you, but will just have to be patient for the summer holidays! Have a fab fab time, and look forward to hearing all about it.

J&B  :D :D :D

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
BlueLiz::   as normal you have a poetic way of describing thing in great detail ha ha ::    I also second , third and fourth  awaiting the  instalments from Lizilu -   getting that buz feeling now for sure

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Hurrah, a holiday report on it's way. So looking forward to hearing about all the fun you will have.
 :) ;)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
Oh Lizilu how wonderful. I'm so looking forward to your holiday reports. I've worked it out that we have roughly 153 days before we land in our most favourite place. During the intervening time I have four Barry Manilow concerts to attend two narrow boat trips so hopefully time will fly by to our glorious three weeks in Kalkan. We've also booked an overnight stay in Kekova this year so that should be different.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
Never mind "with our permission" I expect nothing else Lizilu!  :laugh: so looking forward to your reports.......have a brilliant time!

And joycie........how lovely to hear from you......four Barry Manilow concerts???  ;D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »
Sorry not trying to distract from Lizzies thread but have been going to see Barry for nearly 40 years including America. Me and a group of now old girls used to do all the concerts. He's on his last tour this year supposedly. Well he is 73 and one of our Barry friends has passed away so we're kind of paying homage to Jane and of course remember all the laughs we've had along the way. Kalkan is my sanity at the end of it all.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Enjoy joycie.......and Lizilu!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Oh the excitement of a holiday report....the first of 2016!!! Cannot wait to hear all about your stay, Lizilu.
Joycie, Barry may be 73 but someone forgot to tell his plastic surgeon :o. Love a bit of Manilow Magic but 4 concerts.....?!!! Wow, that's dedication or madness...not sure which  :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:08:35 AM »
Bit of both I think. Really looking forward to Lizilus holiday report. Think I could probably do mine now except we didn't go to Hunkars last time and we intend to in September and we did intend to have an Indian , meal not person from East meets West but of course that's not there anymore. Still the excitement of finding new places still gets me every time I think of Kalkan.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
I am really looking forward to your reports lizilu.We are coming in late April and i'm looking forward to going to Suleyman's ( from fenner ) new restaurant  Pera.He ran Fenner very well so should be good.Also in Suleyman Yilmaz caddesi... Salonika and Botanik and a few other restaurants........its the small street after moonlight bar,on the left........very pretty and now thriving extremely well.

I understand Mustafa,from Alternatif has moved to a new terrace restaurant......by the post office i think.Not sure if he still has the one by the mosque.........or he has had to leave that site due to the re development plans
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:28:13 AM by Mayday1 »

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
Now we know the season'd started - the first report!

Next thing we know, the boats will be in the water, the burglaries will increase, and tales of flippen-floppen, crocs, bargains in the market and reports of barely seen celebrities frequenting food and beverage establishments will intrude into our daily lives.

I can't wait!

Lizilu, we're waiting for the detailed account of the emotions as you round the bend on the D400 and see Kalkan for the first time this year.  Is there anyone who heart doesn't miss a beat there? (Maybe there should be a defibrillator by the roadside!)

Can anyone confirm Mustafa's move?  (Question asked on KTLN - awaiting answer from TC or someone).
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
Yes Chris,he has definitely moved...........he has taken over the restaurant above Utopia bar...that was Moonstone restaurant Not 100 % sure if he has the original by the mosque.....but I know the new one is called Alternatif so I think the old one has closed........Mustafa should do very well on the new site....lovely views of the bay,  main street location,roof top terrace.

The only downside to the new site is that you need to be fit / mountaineer............there are a lot of steps leading up to it !!   ( see images on google of Utopia bar kalkan )
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:30:25 AM by Mayday1 »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »
Yay..this has really cheered me up.....can't wait for you to get there and tell us all about it!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
Getting to the old Alternatif was easy, roller skates were the only thing that may have helped, though the ensuing rapid deceleration on arrival may have been hazardous!

The downside was the climb back to the top, though I confess, sometimes the stroll downwards for a taxi at Pirat, was often chosen as a cop-out!

We look forward to seeing Mustafa in his new location, I expect the rent saving may well get him another bedroom on his villa…

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
08/04/16

1 day 3 hours and 32 mins to go!

And I've such a lot to cram in! I've tried to be as prepared as I can but I'm failing miserably.

Firstly though, thanks All for your kind words. We are really looking forward to trying all the new restaurants etc too and re-visiting our old haunts too of course.

I'm trying to leave some home cooked food in for our stay at home daughter so she doesn't eat rubbish and call for takeaways every day so thought I'd make some soup. I  was awake at 06.30 am the other day in my pursuit of providing home cooked goodness and fortification and threw a carcass into the slow cooker with herbs, veg etc, ready to make stock to create a hearty and wholesome batch of soup to freeze later when I got home from work.
As I turned my key in the door I expected a waft of mouthwatering cooking smells to hit me  - but no? Just a hint maybe if I sniffed very hard? I soon discovered why. I'd only gone and set the slow cooker on warm instead of low (blurry eyes and no specs on) and seeing as I had no thermometer to check the temp I had to chuck the lot away! Don't want any salmonella prior to hols. All that effort for nothing. I still made the soup but had to resort to stock cubes instead. And this has been the story of my week really.

I should have packed last night but our youngest had a bit of a meltdown. She is really frightened of flying and suddenly got it into her head that we would be in danger from ISIS I think her friends have been scaremongering, as hysterical teenage girls do.  Poor girl, I can only imagine how she feels and I'm sure she's not alone either. I'm so glad to hear that TC has started advertising Turkey again on TV. Even my patients have been concerned for me these last few days when they've been asking me where I'm off to so hopefully this advertising will help people realise that travelling to Turkey is at no greater risk than travelling to Spain or France etc these days. So lots of cuddles and reassurance for her and a stiff Bacardi for me and I painted my nails instead. The piles of toiletries, knickers and other essentials were taunting me from my dressing table but I took another glug of my drink and felt quite liberated.

I've just another 2 hours to go at work then I can be outta this place and concentrate on the preparations good and proper! Today's list is

1. Take my Mum her tea and say our au revoir's.
2. Go to supermarket for food items for kid at home and doggy treats for Charlie (he's escaped prison this year)
3. Leisurely pack cases with glass of wine while OH rings for Indian takeaway.
4. Eat Indian takeaway, drink more wine and look forward to tomorrow.

Watch this space  ;D

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Safe jouney and have a great time,

Looking forward to hearinghow you misbehave ;)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
Have a fabulous time, Lizzie! xxx

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »
How exciting! Can't wait to read all about your holiday. You always manage to brighten up my day with your escapades  :)  Safe journey and have a wonderful time. :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
Sunday 10/04/16

Well we are almost in Kalkan, but not quite. We had a good flight yesterday and arrived in dalaman late last evening. I must say that easyjet  were brilliant and loved the speedy boarding.

We managed to relieve the flight attendants of lots of their stock of alcohol and duty free and an enjoyable flight was had by myself and O.H. Not so much by our youngest as she's petrified of flying but she did really well and we were very proud of her.
We were sitting behind some kalkan apartment/villa owners and nosey'd in a bit on their conversation with the guy sat next to them who was an owner too.  It was lovely hearing them talk about how much they loved Kalkan, we felt like kindred spirits as they were saying everything we think and feel about Kalkan too. We definitely felt the love on that flight and almost wished we'd not booked Fethiye first. What was weird too was that we were only a couple of rows away from our neighbours at home, who have an apartment between Calis and Fethiye. Small world.  :)
As we staggered down the walkway towards the taxis, with our arms laden with duty free, we heard a familiar voice shouting "Shaun Shaun", OH turned around wondering who was shouting him and there was Alper from Kaya/Ege rentals obviously doing a transfer. After big hugs and reminders for him to collect us from Fethiye on Tuesday we went our separate ways and chugged off down the D400.

So here we are at the Yacht Boutique and it's lovely. We have a family room overlooking the marina and as I'm writing this, I'm on the balcony, looking at that fab view of the boats bobbing in the calm harbour and listening to the snores of OH whose lunchtime Efes has had the desired soporific effect!  :)

The weather is also being kind to us too. We have spent the afternoon sunning ourselves by the pool after eating a hearty breakfast on the spectacular roof terrace. It was a sight for sore eyes and I seriously had to stop myself from being a complete pig. The tables were groaning with food but I merely had some cherry juice, a cappuccino and menemn and spicy garlicky mushrooms with some toast. Boy it was delicious. We then went for a hike to try and burn a few calories before collapsing by the pool.

Tonight we are off to Mancero for a meal with our neighbours so I shall feedback tomorrow with all the juicy details.  :)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:13:40 PM by Lizilu20 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal