Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Good press for Kalkan  (Read 13953 times)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Good press for Kalkan
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
There was a good mention for Kalkan in the Independent on Sunday's Travel section yesterday. There hasn't been much mention of Turkey in the travel sections recently so this was a welcome message.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/where-to-go-for-your-summer-holiday-family-escapes-cultural-trips-and-adrenaline-adventures-a6911686.html

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13208.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Good press for Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »
That's good to see, even if it does remind everyone of all the things people are worried about. I've been looking at articles in the Times, which in the past has had articles including Kalkan at every turn, but there has been not mention of Turkey at all on the last few weeks!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Hi, that's definitely true in The Times and prob most others. I had a meeting with a journalist recently and mentioned this. She said she didn't think it was deliberate as such, it is just that Exclusive Escapes used
To do most of the PR so hence lots of mentions. I think it is probably the result of a combination of the two :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Definitely a link between Exclusive Escapes and the Times! Hardly a week went by without a mention  :laugh:

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
Reported in one of the newspapers this morning, tourist intending to go to 'safe' locations this year eg Spain, will be paying possibly 80% more for their holidays, but not going toTurkey.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
just got the spring edition of a place in the sun, Out of the top 10   searched destinations in turkey  for villa holiday searches and property,  Kalkan came in at number 1 , so still a lot of interest in Kalkan!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
This week heard from 3 of our past repeat renters to whom we offered a low July-August weekly price.  All going to Greece instead, are afraid to come to Turkey :(
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »
We are in this months Place in the Sun magazine! How we came to buy in Turkey.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »
They have done several others over the years.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:18:25 AM »
There was an article in the Sunday Telegraph  travel supplement  this week   recommending Kalkan  ,   also nice to see TC running adverts most days  for Turkey , Are we starting to see the beginning of a  change of heart  in the UK press   as regards advertising & recommending  Turkey once more !

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
It's really sad for me and my wife as we've been going to Kalkan for the last 7 years on the trot, the last one being June 2015, but we just cannot bring ourselves to come back again, not in the immediate future anyway. I know that you cannot be 100% safe anywhere nowadays, but Turkey has had some real bad incidents this year, especially in the capital Ankara, and we fear that maybe one of the major airports such as Dalaman could be on the terrorists hit list, so it's with a heavy heart that we have decided not to come back to Turkey.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
It's really sad for me and my wife as we've been going to Kalkan for the last 7 years on the trot, the last one being June 2015, but we just cannot bring ourselves to come back again, not in the immediate future anyway. I know that you cannot be 100% safe anywhere nowadays, but Turkey has had some real bad incidents this year, especially in the capital Ankara, and we fear that maybe one of the major airports such as Dalaman could be on the terrorists hit list, so it's with a heavy heart that we have decided not to come back to Turkey.

That's a shame. So the terrorists win, and the lovely people of Kalkan lose, through no fault of their own.

I have just returned (last night) from spending nearly four weeks in Kalkan and it's just as peaceful and lovely as ever.... and Dalaman airport felt much more secure than any other airport I have visited recently, even UK ones such as Gatwick. The security was absolutely top notch.

Luggage scanning and body scanning/searches take place not only at the departure gate but also on entry to the building, which doesn't happen elsewhere - and would certainly have prevented the attacks in Brussels airport, for example.

I don't know how old you are, but do you remember the IRA bombing campaign on mainland UK? When bombs were going off in all the major cities, did that stop people going on holiday to Cornwall or East Anglia? Of course not.

The most dangerous part of a holiday to Kalkan is actually the journey to and from the UK airport. 35 people are killed on the roads every week in the UK... that's more than were killed in the Brussels attack and more than the last bomb in Istanbul. EVERY WEEK, in the UK. But does that stop people getting in their cars every day? Of course not.

I do sympathise with people who are scared, but letting the fear of a random terrorist attack make you change your holiday choices is just irrational.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:24:45 PM by MartynE »

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:33 PM »
We returned from Kalkan on monday - we bought a new kitchen tap whilst in Kalkan for our kitchen refit in the UK being started on tuesday morning, our checkin in bag was on its limit so I put it in the O/H cabin bag when it was placed in the first stage scanning machine at Dalaman airport and she got pulled for closer inspection to be told we could go no further - as the tap could be used as a weapon - until it was put in the bag to be checked in, I got a severe telling off from O/H but thats what I call good airport security.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:50:14 PM by White Rose »

Offline Little Missy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
    • Owners Direct
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
MartynE, your comments to Alex were quite rude I thought.   I do not deem his choice not to travel as irrational.  It is his decision -and others should respect that choice. 

I have a property in Kalkan, as I understand you have a couple of properties yourself, so we are not just coming to Kalkan for a holiday but to oversee our investments as well which is a different kettle of fish.   Kalkan has been a vey popular destination for a good many years, now it seems that other resorts and countries are proving more popular.  Some may say this has a lot to do with the politics of the country and some the terrorist situation, in effect it is possibly both, but it will be what it will be.  Life is precious and I do not blame Alex for looking after his and his family's safety.  As for not letting the terrorists win by not coming to Turkey and Kalkan, MartynE I have a sister who was caught up in the IRA bombing in Warrington, and who witnessed one of the young boys being hit by the bomb.  That was 23 years ago, she is deaf from the explosion and she still has panic attacks if she is in a crowded shopping centre, and probably always will according to the therapist she was treated under.  So please Martyn do not bandy about statistics and being more likely to be involved in an accident travelling to the airport, non of us know what the future holds but please do not admonish someone for erring on the side of caution, rather than boosting the coffers of the tourist industry and the property owners in Kalkan.

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 10:06:54 PM »
Really?  My son was caught up in the 7/7 bombing of the bus in Tavistock square. He witnessed dead bodies and was traumatised for some time. However he still works in that area and has to travel by bus and tube everyday. To let the terrorist threat put you off visiting a place like kalkan is mystifying to me. People like me who live in centralLondon could be said to be risking our lives every time we leave the house!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »
Little Missy, I do not think it is rude or disrespectful to point out that someone else's views are irrational.

Another member of this forum was actually in Istanbul when the last bomb went off; in fact she would have been caught up in it herself, if she had turned left out of a building rather than right. Has it put her off coming to Turkey? No. She's coming back to Kalkan next month.

Nobody (apart from the terrorists themselves) has any idea where the next target will be! London, Madrid, Bali, Paris, Brussels, Boston, Sydney, New York, San Bernadino....where now? Rome? Berlin? Nice? Benidorm? Bodrum? Albufeira? Malta? You may as well close your eyes and stick a pin in a map.

Or just lock yourself in your house...but guess what? That is actually where you are most at risk from accidental death. Statistically, that is....oh, sorry.

It is not "bandying statistics" to point out that 35 people are killed on the UK roads every week, just going about their daily business. It is just stating a fact.

Sorry if you think that's being rude or disrespectful, but unless we prick the bubble of fear that the press has created, a lot of hard-working businesses in Kalkan and many other tourist destinations in the world will lose their livelihoods - which is just what the terrorists want.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:19:12 AM by MartynE »

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
If someone is worried or scared about anything in their lives, that is their fear and cannot be rationalised or dismissed - that is their feeling & choice.   We all love Kalkan & will return no matter what, unfortunately lots of people we have spoken to are worried about visiting Turkey which is such a shame.  Let's hope peace will prevail & visitors will return once again when they feel ready & confident to do so. 

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 08:30:24 AM »

On this topic it may be worth bearing in mind that some of the people on here who decry other people as irrational in not coming to Kalkan may have a vested interest in that they have property in Kalkan which they need to rent - and no visitors - no income

Would be interesting to know how many fall into this category

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
We own a property -  but would like people to come & enjoy Turkey & Kalkan for the beautiful place that it is- not because we must rent at all costs.  In fact, Kalkan may be quieter this year in terms of tourism - perhaps that will be nice, especially in High season, when the village is busy and quite frankly we avoid this period.

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »
I am not an owner so do not have a vested interest, but I am sad for the local community and economy.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
kalkan resort in the press!

Started by stevewatson on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:49:48 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
New Arcelik Fruit Press - 50% of retail

Started by Cosetta on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2016, 02:11:29 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Animal rights protest hits international press

Started by Cosetta on Politics & Debate

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 09:43:42 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Kalkan Good Causes

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 12:54:02 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kapsa Spring Fair

Views: 3037
By: saskia
hitching another lift