Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: TC Flight cancellations  (Read 17389 times)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: TC Flight cancellations
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 06:52:13 PM »
About 6 or 7 years ago I remember a restaurant owner telling us that if they were busy when the landlord walked past he would come in demanding more rent as they obviously could afford it (we were there when he came in making a fuss).....if they were quiet however he didn't reduce the rent. Another restaurant owner told us that because he had had a good year the landlord wanted to raise the rent massively. He decided not to pay, moved out of the town area and is doing well. The site stayed empty for 2 years, can't see how the greedy landlord benefitted.

I think for the new harbour restaurants there is the additional costs of fitting them out as well as the very high rent. I think in other years it may be worth the outlay but I think caution is probably the right response this year unless you can afford to make a loss. I think no rent for the 3 units might sharpen the Belydeye's mind and budgeting.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »
Not sure the Belediye will budge much, there is another restaurant on the outskirts of town that was/is used by local Turkish but has been seen to have more tourists using it so the landlords being the Belediye have put the rent up. Shouldnt think for a minute that if the tourist arent here to use it the rent will be reduced.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
Just looking forward to beyond the summer....

I fly to Dalaman from Manchester with Thomas Cook every year at the end of December to enjoy New Year in Kalkan.  However, I notice that this coming December, it doesn't look like any TC flights will be operating on that route. The only direct flight available is from Manchester to Antalya on 27th December. There are indirect flights to Dalaman via Istanbul with Turkish airlines, but these are around the same price as the Antalya flight, and there is a 12 hour stop over involved. I spoke to TC staff to ask if direct flight to Dalaman might be released at a later date, but they could not confirm this. In the light of the cancelled summer fights, it does not seem likely.

Many of my Kalkan ex-pat friends from the North of England spend Christmas in the UK, and are usually on the Manchester to Dalaman flight just prior to New Year..... I thought it might be useful for them to be aware of this in case the Antalya flight fills up quickly, or goes up in price due to demand. It is already £160 one-way.

Finally, in February this year I was booked on the last TC flight from Dalaman back to Manchester at the end of my New Year stay.  A few weeks before, I received an email from TC to advise that they had cancelled the flight due to 'business reasons'. They refunded my fare and I ended up flying home from Antalya.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
 >:( so now Monarch have cancelled our flight in June. have offered us another but at a horrible time . who wants to leave for the airport at 1am!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
Us too!! only they never told us until I asked why the flight details had gone from the website? they offered the early morning zombie flight .I would rather slide down an unplanned wooden handrail in just a mankini than book with Monarch again...ever!   I now have to pay more to find an equivalent flight which they have no interest in covering the cost of the difference for >:D >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
Monarch seem to have thinned out some flights , especially from Gatwick and Luton (I don't look much farther North than Birmingham, sorry! ::) ).

Since Monarch flights to Dalaman from down South have tended to occur at half-past-impossible, thus resulting in lost days of Kalkan time, we gave up on them a couple of years ago.

It's BA now (Gatwick), included luggage, and free drinks.  Careful selection of flights don't always mean it's more expensive either - just depends!

We added on a couple of days to this years break, the cheaper flights covered the increased accommodation, with some to spare.

A win-win situation, providing we avoid BSG....
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »
Sadly BA do not fly to Dalaman from Manchester (that's the dark miserable place past Birmingham called the North which houses the great unwashed....) otherwise I'd be tempted to try them out. To be honest, we've never had a problem with easyJet - good flights, rarely late, pleasant staff etc, but their flight times are rubbish. We've been arriving at silly o clock in Kalkan for the past 4 or 5 years and I really miss getting there mid-afternoon - seeing THAT view in the daylight :) So we paid more this year to fly with Monarch on a better flight schedule but I have been singularly unimpressed by them so far....and we haven't even got to the airport yet! I would never fly with Thomas Cook again, so our choices in flat cap and whippet land are pretty few and far between. We've flown with Jet 2 and their times are now as bad as easyJet and their flights much more expensive - shame really as they used to be quite reasonable.
Monarch have now withdrawn the hot meals we paid for in advance but wont refund as they can offer us a "suitable alternative" which is sandwiches and crisps for the princely sum of £9 each  :o :o. I am coeliac so not exactly a suitable alternative for me :P
Don't forget they have already cancelled our flight and moved us onto a "suitable alternative". How can they define what is actually suitable for a customer..? The sheer arrogance of it! We accepted because we felt the real alternative for declining the flight was the situation you find yourselves in now BL :( :(.
My countdown app has just flashed up Kalkan 3 months today so I'm going to ignore Monarch's attempts to spoil my happy build-up time and picture myself at Palm Beach for smiley happy thoughts.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
I am now back in the Easyjet fold ..I have booked our flight times again that we normally book..as K4E says it gets us to Kalkan late...midnightish if it's on time?(luckily only £40 more than monarch in total)  Today Monarch were kind enough to mail me that I could add hold luggage for my flight (which no longer exists....errrr! even though I already had it booked? )...are they taking the p**s on purpose? anyway once my refund is in my account I will send them an expletive laden sarcastic reply....it wont do any good but I will feel better  >:D >:D

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »
Due to a recent change in the T&C's at Thomas Cook they consider a flight change of less than 12 hours is not a 'significant' change so you can't get a refund if you don't accept the change. Now 12hrs to me is very significant, it can mean you need another night's accommodation or you lose a full day of holiday.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
We are late-comers to Easyjet - but have been pleasantly surprised.  Pleasant, professional staff, not constantly trying to sell you something, flights always on time and so far none
cancelled (fingers crossed)!   Monarch /T Cook are completely mercenary - it's just a shame there isn't more competition - going to look at BA for our Autumn flights. 

As you say it's not just the change of flight times etc - it's all the knock on inconvenience to all concerned that is a real pain. Good luck to all who have been affected by these unscrupulous airlines.  Perhaps we should set up our own?! ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
We are faithful easyjet passengers, for the past 8 or 9 years we've not had any problems......long may it continue, fingers crossed!
They keep to the same times year after year, mid afternoon leaving Gatwick which although it's dark when we arrive, we always have time to nip out for a drink before bed and then get to spend the day on the beach,Mohave a late lunch and fly back late......getting back at silly o'clock which is the only downside!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »
This sounds familiar to me Babs - must be the same flights, going out in April - can't wait😀
Enjoy whenever you go x

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 10:52:01 PM »
Flying out tomorrow from Stansted by Pegasus via Istanbul.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Cancelling our Sunday flight and putting us on one on a Saturday is a great inconvenience as we'd already secured accommodation, booked transfers, UK Airport taxi, fast track security and airport lounge - all of which had to be changed. Also, even though Saturday isn't a work day for me, normally, I'd arranged to be in that day due work pressures. It really was take it or leave it with Monarch and they dangled the carrot of all the added extras (which we'd paid for BTW..) would also transfer onto the flight of their choice. The thought of trying to get a flight, the extra leg room seats etc for our chosen date just filled me with dread.
We booked our flights with them for June 2016 last July and I can't help feeling we were duped by Monarch. I'm expecting more changes as the flight date approaches.....arriving at 1am on a lovely easyJet flight is suddenly appealing :( :(

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 06:51:06 AM »
Even Pegasus appear to be cutting back on flights. I was informed about 2 weeks ago that they were cancelling my return flight from Istanbul SAW to London LGW at 13.20 on 31 May. Originally it meant a 10.35 flight out of Dalaman but now it is 06.00!
At least it was less than £100 return but it still makes for an expensive trip to the dentist.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:33 AM »
So these flight cut backs by the airlines to Turkey are going to cause problems for those of us who live here need to get back to the UK for various reasons.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
There's a thread on a Facebook page called Friends of Kalkan which makes for uncomfortable reading if you have booked with either Thomas Cook or Monarch. Some people have had their flights changed four times, some are no longer leaving from and returning to the same airport (bit difficult for onsite parking that one!) some had not even been informed their flights had changed. It appears that Monarch in particular are cancelling weekend flights - which doesn't bode well for us moved from a Sunday to a Saturday >:(
People are advised to check online and see how full their flights are as an indicator of pending cancellation - ours is pretty empty but I'm hoping (straw-clutching) that people have chosen not to book their seats in advance because it costs extra..? Also, I'm pretty worried as our return flight - on a Monday - is VERY empty...assume they need an outward flight in order to offer the inward flight and that's also looking dire.
Why is it just Monarch and TC who are behaving this way? easyJet and Jet2 appear to be fine!
I will NEVER book with Monarch again as this uncertainty is giving me palpitations....good old easyJet, I will never desert you again!
The wider issue is, of course, people appear to be deserting Turkey in their droves...it is going to have a massive impact on their tourist season which is incredibly sad  :( :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:03:19 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
Keeping fingers crossed for you!...I have received my refund from Monarch so have sent them an expletive laden tirade.I was very imaginative with what they could do with flights and bookings :angel:.If they have a "Don't sell him a flight in future list" I think I might have just made it  :P

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
flying with Monarch     Leeds to Dalaman returns     in  April/May  and September/October  , so far no issues , hope it remains  that way !

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
flying with Monarch     Leeds to Dalaman returns     in  April/May  and September/October  , so far no issues , hope it remains  that way !

Same. Fingers and toes crossed!!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flight available

Started by Harry on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
by Harry
xx
TC flight time changes 19 may m/c .

Started by fidimax on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 01:52:35 PM
by fidimax
xx
flight seating

Started by clara 50 on Flights and Travel

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
by Skunk
xx
Flight prices

Started by Brooksie on Flights and Travel

65 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 08:29:52 PM
by RosiB

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kalkan

Views: 4351
By: irfan
Romantic Moutnains