Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New home in Kalkan Part 2  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
New home in Kalkan Part 2
« on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:55 AM »
Thanks DRBD, Philips, Cosetta and MartynE!   
Its really helpful to get honest views and opinions from owners themselves.

Yes, as you would expect still lots of questions - ie if we need a surveyor, typical running costs & taxes... to the necessary maintenance required if we are away for a few months (eg what do you do with a pool?). We now appreciate the need for some form of winter heating as we would probably expect to visit Kalkan at various times of the year. 

It seems like a fair number of UK owner residents live all year round in Kalkan - so just wondered when the pace slows down (from Nov+) can we expect any activities or at least a few decent restaurants in the town to remain open or is it just a case of hibernating through those winter months?  I guess a car would also be useful. 

Another question is medical care in Kalkan eg Doctors/Hospital treatment or do you have to travel elsewhere?   

Re our property search - i will probably look at some established villas or apartment perhaps in a quieter residential area but not far from town -  eg Kalamar bay - does anyone have any experience of that area?  In any case will see whats available and keep an open mind.

thanks again
Mike

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13041.0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:11:38 PM by EK Moderator »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: New home in Kalkan Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »
Mike, there are no surveyors reports made here, constructual engineers yes, but from our experience they will conduct reports on size of plots concrete testing etc. Council tax is much cheaper than the UK for example ( obviously not sure where you are from)  water Is relatively cheap electric is getting more expensive & you do not get rebates for water shortages/cut offs or long term electrical cuts .

Pool maintenance you can either do yourself as quite a few do or employ a good pool person to deal. Again a lot of this sort of thing is down to what & where you purchase. If you purchase an apartment in a block you may have to share, a villa you can opt for what you want.

You really do need to have a good idea of what you really wish to purchase & then have a question list. MartynE came up with a good suggestion re renting, that would really give you a good insight od what you really want/require.

Social life... There is one in the winter, quiz evenings art classes,  keep fit,walking groups,  or you can do your own thing, all personal choices,.   

Medical care, there is a health clinic here, the nearest hospital that covers everything is Fethiye, there is a new one in Kas but not quite sure if it's running  full time,  again don't know your ages so yet another thing for you to enquire about .

Have you made enquiries re visa/residency another thing for you to consider.

Hope this helps just a little.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Hi

What people have already written is true in many respects

Having lived here for quite a number of years I have probably witnessed both the good and the bad about buying property

But if you are considering living her please consider the following.....................

Preferably buy a re-sale property that has been lived in all year and for a good number of years by the owner,,,, don't take one where they have only been there parts of the year and now want to sell maybe because of problems

As Cosetta says but one that has a TAPU and building permission [ ideally employ a lawyer not from Kalkan to do this ] Also check that what you think that you are buying is actually that shown on the TAPU, do not just assume that areas around the property e.g pools, terraces etc. and look to be included are actually being bought- employ an architect to verify this

If the property has empty land in front of it beware if anyone says it will never ever be built on to obstruct any views you might have [ as invariably it will be ]

Never buy anywhere where anything is shared [e.g pool, gardens even a semi-detached house / apartment ]  as this invariably leads to problems

Buy one that has heating included - wood burning stoves and also air conditioning for use in the winter and summer

Beware being induced to buy a new property [ as some may have been built for a number of years and never sold ] and the agent may also be the builder or a partner and will make a much larger profit on it than on a re-sale - so may push it harder

Make sure it has a good water reserve tank where the supply will last a week or so and also has adequate indoor storage areas for all the bits and pieces you will acquire and to store your outside summer furniture in during the winter

Finally there is a Turkish saying which is .......never buy just a property buy a neighbour

Having said all that Kalkan is still a great place to live but like anywhere just be sensible and seek advice - it is much better in the long run

Good luck

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
thanks again Kevincat99 & DRBD &.. everyone else,

Good points and info for my visit .. and i have noted them down.  Still keen though!! 

In Kalkan -
i am guessing central heating of the electric form?
What is the purpose of the water reserve tank - is that for drought periods/water cuts ?
Also is the sewerage system mains or are septic tanks the norm? 

I think still one of my main concerns is if i leave the property for lengthy void periods - which i will probably have to do initially during certain times of the year - is to keep everything ticking over. So i will need look into some form of property management or until i find a good neighbour - does anyone know of a good pool man/gardener ? 

thanks again - keep it coming!
Mike     

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:20:47 AM »
Mike.... we don't personally have central heating so will leave that to others or advise, we have a wood burner ( British made) suits our house & needs, we some times use oil filled heaters or the AC units for a boost depending on how cold it is..

We do suffer water shortages here for various reasons, so reserve tanks are really a necessity,  some of these  cuts can go on for days.

Drainage is both main & septic, hopefully the new properties are mains but wouldn't swear by that.

Maintenence. ... well that really is something you would need to do homework on.  Do not for one minute think that whilst you are absent from your property especially in the winter that someone is checking it every day, daresay  in some cases they are but we know that it's not always the case.  Good neighbours are very valuable
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:11:45 PM by DRBD »

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
Mike,

Take MartynE's advise  and rent  for  a while,  so as to get a real feel  and if you can  do it in and out of season    , it is superb advise   

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:49 AM »
Agreed with that,  just make sure though it has reserve water tanks.  ;)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
Following up on some of the above:

Buying an apartment in a block, with a shared pool, can be tricky (we have bought five, so know the ropes by now ;) )  but it's not out of the question... there are advantages - eg, pool costs are shared, and so are the costs of painting the building etc. However..you need to be doubly careful about what's on the TAPU (eg what is yours exclusively and what is communal?) and you DEFINITELY need to make sure there is a management committee in place regarding the maintenance and upkeep of the communal areas. Make sure that this is not just the guy who is trying to sell you the apartment - or his son, brother, or uncle, or nephew etc... it happens!...and make sure all the other owners are fully engaged and responsive.

All the other advice above is very sound. Heating in winter is essential but full central heating is not very common in the South of Turkey (although it is starting to catch on). Mostly, it's provided by wood burners and electric standalone radiators and fan heaters, which can work out rather expensive to run. In theory, air con units can act as heaters - but they are generally not very efficient.

If it sounds like we are trying to put you off, we are not! Kalkan can be a really great place to live, as long as you understand the pros and cons. There is an all-year-round expat community... it can be a bit clique-ey, but you can dip in and dip out of that when it suits you.

Overall, we had a lot of fun there, winter and summer :) But do bring some wellies...and take a long term let first.

Incidentally, we will be in Kalkan from this Sunday for six weeks, so if you'd like to meet up to exchange notes/pick our brains, you are more than welcome!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:33:16 PM by MartynE »

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
Hi MartynE,

meet uo next week sounds good - just sent you a PM! 

Mike

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:23 PM »
Hi Mike,

Everyone so far has given very sound advice, and as you seem unfamiliar with the town you are planning to make your new home, it would definitely be useful for you to take a long term let before taking the plunge. Kalkan is a fantastic place, but although I enjoy being there out of season, it is not always all rainbows and lollipops in the winter.

As DRBD points out, depending on how many months a year you plan on spending in Turkey, you need to be aware of the changes to visa/residency rules which were introduced earlier this year. If you plan to stay for more than 90 days out of every 180 days on a rolling calendar - which is the current limit on a standard tourist visa, you will need to apply for residency status. This is not too difficult to achieve, but depending on your age you will need to purchase private medical insurance. However the new rules state that residents cannot be out of Turkey for more than 120 days a year, otherwise your residency will be cancelled when you arrive back in Turkey after a cumulative absence of 120 days, meaning you will have to resort to a tourist visa (with the restrictions that it brings) and perhaps start the residency application process again.

Many British owners (myself included) used to enjoy spending 6 months in Kalkan and 6 months in the UK/travelling elsewhere, but this is now no longer possible. The new law has had a major impact of the lifestyles of many retirees, who having enjoyed residency status for a number of years and being used to coming and going as they pleased, arrived back in Kalkan early this year after spending some months with family back in the UK to find their residency cancelled. Some owners have actually sold up and either gone back to the UK or bought elsewhere in Europe because the new restrictions made it impossible to continue the retirement lifestyle they had planned. Personally, I work around the visa restrictions, and this year will have managed 5 staggered trips which brought me in at just under the 90 days on both visas.  All the information you need to know about visas/residency can be found on the KTLN (Kalkan Turkish Local News) website.

Good luck with everything.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New home in Kalkan

Started by Mike on Introduce Yourself

10 Replies
Last post September 17, 2015, 10:32:23 AM
by EK Moderator
xx
What do you bring home from Kalkan?

Started by teke on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 11:34:50 AM
by Enişte
xx
Insuring our Kalkan home

Started by Polarcat on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 08:22:37 AM
by rat2
xx
Back home now and missing Kalkan so much!

Started by elcee on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 12:20:04 PM
by clara48

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal