Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!  (Read 28437 times)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
Or maybe two?

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Friday morning we were awake very early and after a shower and a cup or two of coffee I decided that  I would go for a long walk. I really enjoy viewing Kalkan from different vantage points and the exercise is needed to work off some of the additional weight that I have gained; haven eaten far too much.
After a couple of hours I arrive at the harbour and take photographs of the mosque, the boats coming and going and other shots trying to capture the feel and ambience of this special place. Memories captured I slowly ascend the hill and arrive at Bezirgan's. I feel that I have earned an Efes after building up a sweat and my throat is dry. Any old excuse really!!
As I sit and chat to the barman I suddenly find that  I have agreed to have a massage from the elderly gentleman that frequents the barber shop. This hadn't been part of my plans but, in for a penny in for a pound? Whilst I must confess to feeling a bit self-conscious the massage did the trick and I headed back to the villa feeling suitably refreshed.
Luke had been carrying out some research on the watch that he is considering purchasing. The watch is a Uboat 1001 special addition and a genuine one retails for about £5000. We agree that we would walk into town to buy gifts and that I would demonstrate my haggling skills. We call in at the watch shop and I involve myself in friendly banter with the shop assistant while Luke has a good look around. His mind made up he wants the watch and I begin with a cheeky offer of £60 (they were asking £96). We negotiate for what seemed an age before settling at £82. Not a huge discount but we are all happy with the outcome.
We had booked a table at Nar for this evening and yet another enjoyable meal. The restaurant's roof terrace is the perfect place to get a view across the other restaurants as it sits in a fairly central location and provides an excellent panoramic view.
Evening over we head for home ready for a glass of wine on the roof terrace. I think that I could become accustomed to this lifestyle.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
Saturday was another relaxing day by the pool. Luke is definitely a water baby and is quite content floating around for hours at a time.....how does he do it? We venture into town early afternoon as we want to finish shopping for presents. We are aware that our holiday is coming to an end and want to make the most of every minute that we have left available to us. Shopping successfully completed we head to Bezirgan's for refreshments. As we sit discussing what a fabulous and relaxing holiday we have had Tracey spots someone out of the corner of her eye.......is it?....yes it is...... Dom from 'Don't get done get Dom'. Luke is flabbergasted as his brother had 'made up' that he would see Dom on his visit. I tried to tell him that Dom is a regular visitor but he doesn't believe me. I tell him that he should have a look at the Enjoykalkan forum as this will prove that I'm not making it up.
We finish our drinks and head back home for more pool time.
Alternatif's has been booked for tonight's meal as I want Luke to try their calamari. As we assemble downstairs Luke informed me that he had done a search on this forum and that he found a number of posts mentioning sightings of Dom. He had written a blog on his twitter account and low and behold Dom had replied to him. 
We enjoyed another excellent meal (I don't think that we've ever had a bad one) and are really amazed at the value for money that the restaurants deliver. There is so much choice and somewhere to cater for everyone's taste and budget. This is one of the major selling points for Kalkan and, even after five visits, there are still vast amounts of eating places that we haven't tried. This coupled with the fact that restaurants and their staff come and go means that you are very unlikely to ever exhaust your options.
Sunday will be our last day and so we ensure that we have a late night taking in the vista from the roof terrace and enjoying a glass or two of wine.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
We were desperate to make Sunday last for as long as possible and were on the balcony drinking coffee at 6.00am. We reconciled ourselves with the fact that this really was our last day and that it would soon be time to pack our suitcases. The two weeks have flown by and the only consolation is the fact that we have all enjoyed a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and are so much more relaxed than we were when we arrived........oh and a tad darker having endured two weeks of wall to wall blue skies and sunshine.
Kalkan has delivered (as it always does) and, whilst there have been some changes, I don't personally feel that it has had a serious detrimental affect on the overall holiday experience. Everyone is still so welcoming and friendly and I truly believe that this is my home from home. For anyone that is concerned about travelling to this part of the world, please don't be, as you will surely miss out on a truly wonderful and relaxing experience.
Before we knew it the day was nearly over and we had just one more culinary delight to savour. For our last meal we chose to eat at Mussakka as we didn't feel that we did it justice on our first night due to being quite exhausted from our journey. The food was up to its normal high standards and was made even more enjoyable by the very young lad that served our table (we guessed that he was about 12 years old). There was something quite charming in the way he said "you're welcome" every time we thanked him.
Final supper devoured we headed back to villa Kamelya for our last night on the roof terrace, taking in the views and enjoying a glass or two of wine. This really has been a fantastic holiday in a fantastic location.   

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Keith, thank you so much for taking the time to share your holiday with us all, it has been fab reading your daily reports.  I totally agree with what you say in that Kalkan certainly delivers, and it really did for us too this year as it always does.  So glad your son got to see Dom, and a really nice place to choose for your last supper (Mussakka).  We went this year too, and it was fabulous.   :D :D

Anyway until next time, and thank you once again.

Jayne

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
Hi Keith, really enjoyed sharing your holiday with you. So glad you had an amazing time, as we all do in Kalkan!

Thank you for taking the time to write your reports.

Jane

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
thank you for posting keith.
I've really enjoyed reading your reports - funny how we all love Kalkan but like our different places. I have never been in Berzigan's Pub in all the years we have been coming to Kalkan but I cant for the life of me tell you why :)
It made me laugh that you got to see Kalkan's resident celeb after talking about him beforehand...and then your son connecting with him on Twitter. It all adds to the experience ;)
So glad you had another magical holiday and safe trip home.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »
Thank you for your lovely reports. It brought me a little bit of Kalkan in the first year in ages we haven't been to Kalkan. We too had never been to Bezigrans until two or three years ago and it was the ideal place to meet our friends who were up on the Kalamar road and we were at the Nur apartments. They had the most delightful beagle puppy and we spent a little of our drinking time watching this delightful dog.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing your lovely relaxing holiday With us Keith......so glad you all enjoyed yourselves.
So who's next?!  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2015, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post Keith. I've really enjoyed your reports and you've certainly kept Kalkan alive in my mind and heart in this long week since we returned home.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
Glad you arrived home safe and sound after 2 glorious weeks in Kalkan. It was  nice of you to spend time keping us informed.

BarbH

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2015, 11:39:34 AM »
I am now back in work mode and have finished wading through the 432 emails that hit my in-tray over the past two weeks. The weather feels even colder than expected and I am struggling to accept the grey overcast sky.

Our transfer back to Dalaman was uneventful. We had chosen to set off earlier than was necessary as we wanted to avoid the mad rush and the long queues that tend to be part of the Dalaman experience. We arrived at the airport at 11.00am local time (a little over 3 hours before our flight).  We were quickly through the first security checks and pleased to see that the Thompson check-in desk was already open. Suitcases dropped off and through the second security scan into the departure area. There was ample time to stroll around the duty free shops and to enjoy breakfast. I’m sure that they’ve made further improvements to the food hall since last year although I was disappointed that there was nowhere that I could buy a newspaper. The only bookshop was shut?

Our flight departed on time and we touched down in Stansted at 16.26 hrs. Bags collected and we headed for passport control. Although the queues weren’t particularly long this proved to be the most tedious part of our journey as it was apparent that a lot of people weren’t familiar with how the automatic passport scanning equipment worked. This was compounded by the fact that there was only one airport supervisor who didn’t seem to want to help anyone!! That said we were soon safely through and sat in our car shortly thereafter. 17.50 hrs we were back indoors with a very happy Gus (our boxer dog).

On reflecting back over our holiday I would summarise as follows:

What can provide you with two weeks of total relaxation and fun?
What can make you forget about the stress and pressures of everyday life?
What can provide you with the most stunning views from every angle?
What can deliver an abundance of quality restaurants and mouth-watering food?
What can give you wall to wall sunshine and clear blue skies?
What can make you feel that you are genuinely welcomed and among friends?
What can deliver a romantic sunset and the perfect moon rise?
What can make you want to come back time and time again?

IF ANYTHING CAN…………….KALKAN CAN

That’s all folks. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and for sharing our holiday experience.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
Loved reading your blog and your summary was perfect!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
Your summary is just perfect! Thank you  :laugh:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
Welcome back to reality keith, and thanks for sharing a little peice of Kalkan with us .

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
Welcome home and thanks so much for sharing your holiday with us all. Not wishing to make you jealous but we have just packed our bags. We should arrive at our apartment at about midnight tomorrow for another six weeks in paradise (KK). Not promising any blogs of your standard but may make the odd contribution!!
Cheers
Tyros

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 01:57:30 AM »
Thanks Tyros.........I might just be a tiny bit envious!!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
This time last week we were having an Efes at Moonlights before heading down to Alternatifs. This week I'm looking forward to a homemade stir fry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

a misty day

Views: 1659
By: headroom
meis