Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!  (Read 28412 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
Great report Keith, keep them coming.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Sounds as if you've got into the swing of things....enjoy!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Sounds like a perfect couple of days already, keith....and why wouldn't it be..? You're in Kalkan 8) 8)
I think it takes a couple of days to wind down into Kalkan mode but once you're there, oh what a joy. Your holiday is all ahead of you at this time, how fabulous :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 05:08:52 AM »
Keith glad you have arrived in Paradise, and loving your reports.  :D

J&B

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 06:23:31 AM »
Really missing Kalkan today...keep up the reports Keith!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
.....after another very chilled out day we are both feeling totally relaxed and attuned to our surroundings. We had planned to eat at Ali Baba next to Kipa Express last night as we didn't want to venture too far into town. The walk from the villa is about as easy as it gets and within a couple of minutes we arrived at our intended destination........but......no sign of Ali Baba's and in its place what looks like an Indian restaurant?
It's funny how the brain works when your plans don't materialise..... what are we to do......where will we eat? Although there's an unlimited choice of great restaurants we suddenly found ourselves having to come up with a plan B.
We decided that we would have a cold Efes at the bar opposite the taxi rank (any excuse) to collect our thoughts and to mull over where we would eat. This is our preferred watering hole as we always get a warm welcome and its a good spot to people watch.
As we made our way down across the roundabout we couldn't help but notice Seaport restaurant and as we passed stopped to have a look at their menu. Nothing particularly caught our eye and we were about to move on when their greeter appeared. He was very persuasive (in a charming way) and before we knew it we had made a table reservation.
Nothing was going to keep me from my cold Efes and we continued down to the bar. As we sat sipping the cold refreshing beer under the grapevines we watched the young children trying to sell their trinkets. We couldn't help but smile at the cheekiness of some of the younger ones and I could see Tracey's maternal instincts coming to the fore. I know that before the end of our holiday she will have bought something from them.
Thirst quenched we made our way back to Seaport for dinner.
I would not normally choose to write a restaurant critique, mainly because food is very much down to personal taste but, on this occasion, I feel that it warrants it. Tracey chose cheese boraks for her starter followed by chicken skewers whilst I chose calamari followed by pepper steak. Before the starters were served the waiter brought us the largest, puffiest nan bread that I have ever seen along with a variety of dips. As we ripped into the bread warm steam escaped from its centre......it really tickled the taste buds. All of the food was really nicely presented and the portion sizes were spot on. Everything tasted terrific but, I have to give a special mention to the thick fillet steak and the rich pepper sauce. The steak was perfectly cooked and cut like butter....it was so tender and the rich sticky pepper sauce was bursting with flavour. How do these chefs cook such gourmet food in their tiny kitchens?
The waiting staff were extremely attentive without going overboard and genuinely nice people. Our experience was so positive that we have booked a table for next Monday evening; when our son arrives.
Tonight we are meeting up with my sister and her family. 7.30pm at Moonlights for a pre-dinner drink and then down to the Olive Tree.
I'm sure that we'll end up back on the roof terrace watching the world go by and enjoying a glass or two of wine.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Good to know you had a lovely meal in Seaport.  I wanted to go in when we were there in June and support them especially because of the impact the fire at the harbour had on them but I must admit I found the greeter a tad annoying and for this reason we didn't.  Maybe we will give it a try when we go back next month.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
Hi Charlie.....not the best views but plenty of space and a really good meal. I don't normally recommend restaurants as I am conscious of the fact that we all have different tastes and that one man's food is another man's poison.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »
.......I haven't seen my sister for over a year and so was really looking forward to our reunion in Kalkan. We set off earlier than normal as I wanted to ensure that we had a good table at Moonlights and preferably one that didn't sit at a precarious angle. Cold Efes in hand we sat and waited in anticipation....would they approach from the harbour or taxi rank? At 7.30pm on the dot I caught my first glimpse of them coming down the hill.......you can't miss Shirley's husband Dave as he is a giant of a man who towers above everyone else!! Hugs, kisses and handshakes over with we ordered a round of drinks and quickly caught up with what we had been up to since we last met.
Shirley and Dave were accompanied by their daughter Katherine (their son had flown back last Friday) and their two friends and their two sons. They are staying in a villa in Kisla and, although it is their first foray to Kalkan, it was apparent that they had fallen in love the place and the warm and welcoming Turkish people. I know that they will be back next year.
After our quick drink we set off down the hill to the. Olive Tree. Shirley had booked a table on the top terrace and we were soon seated and picking up on our conversation. I have to say that we didn't feel as though the food was up to its normal standard but this was more than offset by the warmth and laughter of our reunion.
After dinner we set off back up the hill to our favourite watering hole (I will try to member its name) and within seconds our friendly barman had rearranged tables and chairs to accommodate our party of nine. We sat chatting sharing antidotes and reminiscing until one in the morning before saying our goodbyes and setting off back to the villa. We sat and enjoyed a glass of wine on the balcony before falling into bed.
Quite unbelievably I awoke at 6.00am the next morning and we were out on the roof terrace drinking coffee by 6.30.......I can't understand why I don't have a sore head after the copious amount of alcohol consumed on the previous evening. We were shocked to read about the demise of Exclusive Escapes and can't help but to feel sorry for everyone affected by their collapse.
As we are up and about we decide that we'll walk down to the harbour, enjoy a peruse around the shops and stop off for lunch at Akins......another one of our regular eating places. We are reliably informed that it is less humid today and that the heat should become more bearable......I' m not convinced as we walk back up the hill for another well earned Efes.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
Great report! Why is it that the list of things you DIDN'T do gets longer than the things you DID do every time you visit Kalkan?

We were out for 3 weeks and only managed 5 new restaurants.  Really wanted to try Olive Garden but didnt make it! Oh well, next time!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
Sounds like you and Tracey are well into the swing of things now Keith. Sometimes less is more and it's great just to chill and relax. We love our roof terrace too. In face we will be heading up there in an hour or so no doubt  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
I think your watering hole is Berzigan's Pub...? And did you mean Olive Garden or is Olive Tree a new place..?
We really enjoyed Seaport - Deniz and his team are doing a sterling job after their unexpected relocation - hopeful they will get a harbour spot next year.
Your days and nights are just perfect and how lovely to meet up with your sister there...sounds like a great way to catch up with family to me :) Glad they are enjoying their stay in Kalkan too.
Keep them posts coming, keith. Love your reports

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
After another busy day lounging by the pool we are totally relaxed and surprised at how quickly the day passes. Before we know it we are in the shower preparing for yet another night out. It's so refreshing when the only decisions that need to be made concern.......where shall we eat this evening and what shirt should I wear? We decide that we will give Alternatif a try as we have read some glowing reports on the forum. Off we set stopping off at Bezirgan's pub for our pre-dinner drinks (you were right on both counts kalkan4eva) and then a gentle stroll down the hill to our chosen restaurant. I opted for the meat samosas with chilli dip for starters and boy was it hot

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
Did you sample the orange dressing they put  on the plates as decoration? That stuff is fire sauce and should come with a health warning! Great reports! Capture the essence of relaxing beautifully!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 03:38:51 PM »
I'm not too sure what happened to my last post but it appears to have only loaded a part of it???
........I opted for the samosas starter with chilli dip and boy was it hot. I finished the bottle of water and wine in record time as the heat of the chillies tingled the end of my tongue and my mouth felt as though it was on fire. I really enjoy a hot curry and spicey food but this dip was something else........at least it gave me an excuse to order more wine!! I think that the waiters were genuinely impressed that I manage to devour the whole lot. My only concern was what the after effect may be in the morning.
Having enjoyed yet another superb meal we set off to have a look around the shops and start to plan gifts for family and friends. Worked our way back up the hill to Bezirgan's where we stopped for a quick G&T.
Suitably cooled down we headed back to the villa and.......you've guessed it....a bottle of wine on the roof terrace.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
I awoke with a start fear and trepidation racing through my brain.........I needn't have worried as there was no afterburn from the chilli dip and samosas!!
We decided that we would enjoy yet another relaxing day by the pool (it seems a shame not to maximise its use ) and possibly a lunchtime trip into town to purchase a ring for our son's partner. We discuss the fact that we haven't watched any TV or read any newspapers during this holiday and we both agree that  we really don't need to know what's happening in the world.....we are blissfully happy in our own piece of paradise and in each other's company.Having celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in July we are still soul mates and enjoy being on our own without a care in the world.
The morning passed in a blink of the eye and we soon found ourselves meandering around the streets looking for the ideal ring for Jess. We eventually ended up in the silver shop opposite Baharat's and after some searching Tracey spotted the one. She has the same sized fingers as Jess and feeling like Cinderella tried on the silver ring........on know she exclaimed it doesn't fit the middle finger. The lady behind the counter stated, no problem, my husband will adjust it for you. Finger size checked we were told that it will be ready to collect this evening. I am pretty sure that you won't find this level of service back in the UK.
Shopping completed for the day we carry on up the hill to our favourite drinking den and enjoy an iced cold beer before returning to villa Kamelya.
We agree that we will try Adam & Eves tonight as it always seems to have people eating there when we walk pass. The restaurant has a more traditional feel to it and is quite rustic. We enjoy a hot mixed meze followed by main courses. The portions are far too big for our appetites and we feel guilty that we are unable to eat it all......we really don't like to see food wasted. We enjoyed our time chatting with Eve and whilst we probably won't go back there during this visit we did have an overall good experience.
We are both feeling hot and bloated so it will be straight back to the villa tonight and no doubt a bottle of wine on the roof terrace.
Our son will be joining us tomorrow afternoon and I can tell that Tracey is really excited by the prospect.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Already bank holiday Monday........where did our first week go? Considering that we haven't exerted ourselves the time has just flown by........it must be that Kalkan has the ability to make you totally chilled out with a feeling of belonging. It never ceases to amaze me how so many of the locals remember us even though we only visit once a year. Tracey says that it's because of my distinctive white hair!!
Our son is due to join us later today and so I decide to go to get my hair cut at Trend barbers. As I take my seat I watch in awe at how the Turkish barbers handle their cut throat razors as they delicately give a gentleman a Tele Savalos all over shaved head. Two locals are getting their beards trimmed and the care and precision of Edward Scissorhands is so skillful. Before long I am ushered into the chair and the first strands are cut. Once the haircut is complete I am treated to a hair wash, head massage, face mask followed by shoulder and arms massage.......all for the princely sum of 20TL....less than £5!!!!
Looking well groomed I call into Bezirgan's for a cooling Efes before strolling back to the villa. Tracey has heard from Luke to say that he is in the airport transfer and I can see that she is happy to know that he has landed and on his way to join us.
At 3.40pm a car pulled up and as I went to greet Luke I noticed that his driver was none other than Ahmet. We have become good friends with him and his family over the years and it is always nice when we get to see him.
We helped Luke to settle in and within half an hour he was having his first swim in the pool ☺☺

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
Keith, another fab post.  :D Yes those haircuts and shaves are something else aren't they? have watched Bob being shorn many a times, and as for the fire in the ears! well!

So glad your son arrived safely, I know how Tracey feels, I was the same waiting for Katie to arrive a couple of weeks ago.  Hope Luke has an amazing time too.

Look forward to reading all about it. 

Jayne

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
As I sit writing my update I feel that I am ploughing a lonely furrow.......I miss the daily reports that others have written and although lacking inspiration feel that I have to keep the flag flying for Kalkan.
We returned to Seaport for our son's first night and I think that you can guage the quality of a restaurant and its chef by the consistency of the food. I went for the peppered steak again as I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time around. I have to report that, whilst the fillet steak was succulent, it was not as tender as before and the peppered sauce lacked the depth of flavour and texture. I would still recommend this establishment for the overall quality of the food and service.
As Luke was struggling to stay awake we headed off home earlier than normal and headed for the roof terrace and the obligatory bottle of wine.
People are always rightly talking about the glorious sunsets that can be viewed across the bay (particularly from Kisla) but tonight we were going to experience a sight that is as spectacular in its own way. As we sat enjoying our wine and generally taking in the glorious views we suddenly noticed a white glow enveloping the mountain top........within minutes a bright light appeared.....it continued to increase in size and intensity before turning into a brilliant globe that is the moon rising.  We both sat in awe taking in how quickly the moon had risen over the mountain and how it was now bathing the sea with Moonlight.
Luke was up early the next morning and couldn't wait to get into the pool. He has an amazing ability to float without any movement and you would think that he was on a lilo. He can stay like that for hours and I do feel slightly envious as I am nowhere near as proficient.
We walked into town for pre-dinner drinks, pay for the airport transfers and to pick up Jess' ring. Tasks completed we chose to eat at Paprika. Once again another fabulous meal.........I can't recall ever having a bad one!!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »
Loving your reports Keith....keep the flag flying please

I have to agree about the moon rising over the mountain then the moonlight on the bay, it's stunning, I find it really moving, just makes you realise how lucky we are  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
new to kalkan

Started by izzy35 on General Discussion

18 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 04:44:37 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Kalkan anywhere else?

Started by shining-one on Other Resorts

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 11:37:00 PM
by kensarrived

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EnjoyKalkan meet

Views: 4252
By: Adrian
turkey 2010 061.jpg