Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'  (Read 47139 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »
Wednesday 2ND September...post holiday blues  :'(

I'm really sorry for dragging this on but I've been ever so busy since returning home. Cases are empty, washer has been on virtually 48 hours non stop as has the dryer as it's been tipping it down since we got home. Even hailstones and thunder yesterday. Work has been manic and only now am I able to sit down and transport myself back to Kalkan and relive our final couple of days...

So here goes...Sunday evening and it was time to say our goodbyes to Bob, Jayne and Katie. Saying goodbye is always hard, especially when you know it's going to be a long time until you see your friends again and this goes for our friends in Kalkan too. Sunday seemed to be a day of goodbyes all round and it was horrible. It's not just about going back to work and the daily grindstone, but about having to leave special people and knowing that life in Kalkan still goes on as tourists/seasons come and go but you're not part of it, only in memories and daydreams. I hate last days, I torture myself with "this time last week we were at the beach club" etc. Not good.  :( So after drinks and hugs and tears with the gang, we moved on to drinks and hugs and tears at our various favourite haunts in town. I was a wreck by the time we'd made it to sweet dreams to say goodbye to Ibo and his lovely wife Paula and had to make sure I didn't contaminate their delicious Turkish delight with my tears  :'(
We had no plans on where to eat dinner, preferring to see where the night and our mood took us. The girls did a bit of shopping for souvenirs and we mooched aimlessly. As we were in the vicinity and had never eaten there before, we decided to try the Old Trading House. I don't think I've seen it mentioned on the forum much so in for a penny and all that. It was actually quite nice. I didn't realise that it was a hotel too and it was lovely and quirky inside. Seeing as wild boar was a speciality, Automan and I decided to opt for that and the girls had lamb shank and a garlic chicken dish. Previous to our mains were freebies of garlic bread and mezes and chocolate fondant pud for afters was enjoyed by our youngest. We also got complimentary liqueurs and delicious Turkish coffee served in traditional, ornate little porcelain cups with silver lids. A final cocktail in Black and Gold and that was us done for the night and for this year.

Monday was home time and luckily we had an early start so at 9.20am we were off, climbing the D400 and silently saying our own personal goodbyes to Kalkan until next year. The journey home was uneventful, apart from younger daughter making good use of the sick bags and me losing a perfect square of my full big toe nail varnish on the aisle and unable to reach it,  watched everyone crunch their way over it until all that remained was little sparkles of  glitter over the cabin floor and and me trying to tuck my left foot under my right to hide offending nude yellowing nail. It could have been worse though. Last year there was a woman with unfortunate blue tattooed eyebrows on our flight home, I do hope she got them sorted out as she looked very odd. The flight was fortunately on time and for the first time ever we flew into Leeds Bradford's little airport. It reminded me a bit of Blackpool airport,  only small and we seemed to wait an age for our luggage. It was a lovely journey home over the Peninnes and certainly beat the M60 ring road for views. The many shades of the green winding windy moors of Keighley, Skipton, Burnley and finally our home on Deerplay moor looked almost luminous in comparison to the colours of the Turkish landscape we had left behind only a few hours before.

And so ends our FUN IN THE SUN for 2015 and my Golden Birthday Tour is all but wrapped up. Just a few thoughts and reflections about our holiday though.

Exchange rate - we got as high as 4.60 to the pound but dropped to around 4.41 on our last exchange.

What happened to our early morning walks and swims Jayne  ??? I'm ashamed that I didn't manage any  ::)

Awesome sight on Sunday as Kalkan celebrated Victory day, to see the huge Turkish flag flying as high as a double story building in town.

Pack Clearasil if you are peri-menopausal - update, the spots are finally clearing up thank goodness!  :)

To all you gents  - Don't visit a barber who appears to have the morning after shakes as Automan found to his horror, as the cut throat wobbled precariously in front of him. It saves you having to bypass the shop that you did a runner from, promising that you'd be back in five, but never returning.  ::)

Don't book a boat trip without checking if it's any other passengers real birthday on there as it certainly overshadows you own fake one, when their cake is presented and everyone sings happy birthday to them not you and you have to refrain from blowing their candles out and exclaiming "it should have been me"!!!!

And finally, why on earth did we think that there was a double bed during the daytime next to Yakamoz's bar for days, when really it was quite obvious that it was the cover for the stalls that were set out every night on the fire ravaged area of the harbour  ::)

See you next year. Over and out  ;D O0 8) :)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:56:48 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
Lizzie it has been a real pleasure reading your posts. Huge thanks for sharing your holiday with us other forum members and visitors. I'm sure that any newby will definitely be wanting to visit Kalkan based on your positive feedback. Here's looking to your next 'Fun in the Sun' excursion to Kalkan and, who knows, we may get to meet.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
Its been a real pleasure sharing your "Fun in the Sun" holiday this year, Lizilu. Loved reading your reports - making me laugh whilst at the same time pretty melancholic. Although we are still in Corfu, which is beautiful and we would definitely come back here, we are still missing Kalkan. Thanks for taking time to post - we've really appreciated it :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Already looking forward to "fun in the sun 2016!"  :laugh:

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
Fabulous reports Lizilu. Shame we weren't there at the same time.

We are there at the end of September and through October so I might be able to do a couple of reports - I failed dismally to keep it up last time - but even if I do, I'm sure they won't match up to yours in terms of the sheer joy and "kalkanlove" that you managed to cram into each and every episode.

Looking forward to your reports next year!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
Loved all the reports Lizzie, there  definitely is a budding novelist in our forum :laugh: You certainly have the knack to make them so interesting and funny. Well done.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
Lizzie you did us proud, what a fabulous finale, all I can say is roll on 2016!!!!  :D :D :D

Sx

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Your reports were fabulous and kept me thinking of my beloved Kalkan and how much I missed not going this year. My flights and accommodation are booked for next year so I am now on countdown too. Hopefully a blog may be in the offing in September 2016 .

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
Well done Lizzie - a triumph of a blog which will definitely put me to shame next week when we are there.  :D :D :D. It has really made us excited to get going and we are half packed already.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
Wow! Thanks so much for your lovely comments guys and for taking the time to read my blog. It's honestly been an absolute pleasure and I  appreciate all your contributions and kind words. I've loved sharing our holiday with you and glad you've enjoyed it too.  :-* :-*

I forgot to mention that captain Jack sparrow disappeared from the yali just before we came home. I promise you all that his disappearance had nothing to do with Shirl and me!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:07:26 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
Are you sure....i bet when Shirl gets out there next year, poor Jack will be resident in her garden!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
Fantastic reports Lizzy. Have just caught up on your last days. Can't believe you are home and it's all over for another year.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful holiday with us. It certainly was "fun in the sun"  :) :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
Hey, you never know Haybo  ;) ;) ;)

Thanks Suzyq1 and roll on 2016 so we can do it all again.  :) 8) :-*

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
Ha ha Haybo! Lizzie, I wouldn't have been able to get Captain Jack in my handbag, he was far too big!!!

Sx

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
But how about the tartan shopping bag???  :P :P :P

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2015, 05:13:06 PM »
The tartan trolley is just for the Yali and Migros runs Caroline, and very useful it was too I can tell you!  :D :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
I have fond memories of bonding with that tartan trolley  ;)

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
I've loved reading your posts - inspiration for my 'Golden Birthday Tour' in Kalkan this time next year! Thank you :)
Lou :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
Thanks Lou. I hope you enjoy your "golden birthday tour" too. Mine was amazing.  :-*

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
:)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal