Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'  (Read 47158 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
Ha nah! The secret is out, hope you and Shirl, and the others have a brilliant time!   :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »
Sunday 16th August.

Thanks Babs, we certainly intend to have a whale of a time, God willing.   :)

So as I said earlier. We were very tired and fuzzy on Friday morning after only a few hours sleep but the bed was extremely comfortable and rocked us gently into la la land so we slept well and of course we were all too excited to be here to kip for too long. The smell of bacon and sausages were wafting up from Shirl's and making our mouth's water. We peeped over the balcony and could see a pretty pair of shellac' toes wriggling away below, so I aimed a midget gem at them but sadly missed and the toes continued to wriggle away, unaware of my childish bid for attention.  :) Brunch was served at 11 am and Chef Bob and his sous Shirl did us proud. We had a full English and gorgeous nutty brown bread to mop up and make butties - bang goes the diet already! Oh how lovely it was to see our fab friends again, and how brilliant that we are on the floor above them.
We spent a lovely afternoon chilling out and catching up before setting off for our first night on the town. Bob and JAyne had kindly made reservations for us to eat at Marina restaurant and it was as tasty and delicious as ever. We had the set menu which is very good value for money, with extra calamari. Basically you get free puffy bread, tapenade, chilli butter and cheese, mezze, then any mains from the menu apart from salmon. We all had fillet steaks apart from our girls who had pasta and chicken sis and with a few rounds of drinks came to approx £270 TL. Fantastic food and company (the  extra chips that BOb and JAyne had were absolutely delicious - dare I say even better than vita's  :o) We decided to have a nightcap on the roof terrace when we got home and I cannot believe that we actually managed to stay up until 3am! Mind you, we had lots to catch up on.  :)

Yesterday was a very relaxing day spent dining a the Yelken bistro with RosiB and family and then an afternoon of cavorting in the pool and jacuzzi at the Yelken. The food is spot on there. I had a threesome of mini burgers which were fabulous. My eyes were bigger than my belly for sure but I managed to eat all except for half a burger bun, so I didn't  do too badly. I didn't realise at first but you can actually choose any of the burgers for your threesome, so I chose the num num (the best - with bacon and cheese), goats cheese ( which was halloumi) and the Mexican ( tender steak with fried onions and peppers). Oh my word they were amazing! I swilled them down with a lemonade that came in a jam jar with a handle type receptacle that seem to be fashionable this year. It was sooo good. I think it was called a Lynchburg lemonade which had a kick like a mule as it contained jack Daniels and triple sec. Oh it was good. We have stayed at the Yelken a few times and really like it there. That's where we first met Ros and BIll and their sweet and lovely granddaughter Mia. It was brilliant to catch up and we had a lovely afternoon. I also admired Rosi's willpower as while I was stuffing my face with burgers and wiping the melted cheese from my chin,she was elegantly eating a very healthy salad with roast vegetables that looked to die for and definitely what I'm having next time we go.

Last night we met up with haybo and her lovely family and Bob and Jayne for a delicious meal at Kaya. The boys did us proud and we enjoyed very good and reasonably priced food along with excellent company. We were all shattered though and apart from a quick stop at YAli for magnums, we went straight home to our beds. A quick game of cards with the family and a nightcap and we fell exhausted into out comfy bed.

My poor OH's having trouble with his shoulder this year. He blames my heavy case, I blame his age, but he's getting by on anti inflammatories and efes and so far so good. He's just nipped out for a few bits now but forgot the elegant tartan shopping trolley that Shirl very kindly lent us. I tried to run after him with it but he sprinted off like Usain Bolt! I wonder why???  ;D

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
So glad you are all enjoying yourselves. Sounds like a great bunch of friends you have to spend time with.

Liked the sound of those burgers, this is one meal I have never had in Kalkan but it always looks nice. I will have to try them next year.

We too like Marina restaurant, went twice this June, nver had a bad meal there. It is also very handy for me to get a taxi.

Still lots of days to enjoy so make the most of it....which I am sure you do not need telling.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
At long last you are there...and together with Bob and Jayne. I expect double the fun and.....double trouble!!  :-*
I love the sound of Yelkin Bistro and how trendy they are with their jam jar glasses...we are sorry we missed out on this place in June, but hopefully they will be there next June...in a mere 301 days :P
Marina is always spot on and lovely friendly staff - likewise Kaya. Two good choices already - although I do wish Kaya would expand their dessert menu.
Never mind the diet, its time to enjoy and hit the long flowing dresses and enjoy all that Kalkan has to offer.
Have a fabulous time!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Fab reports Lizzie.  :D

Yes definitely double trouble K4E, and that is just Automan and Bob! Lizilu and I are course behaving like sensible adults!!  ::)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »
Loving the report  Lizilu20. Only 8 days and counting!! Can't wait to be in Kalkan and enjoying the ambience and food. I can just imagine sitting on our balcony enjoying the views and wine.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
likewise Kaya. Two good choices already - although I do wish Kaya would expand their dessert menu.

When we were out in June Kaya chef was putting new desserts together..one was a Lemon posset with Bacardi...We were guinea pigs as it was Ramadan and they needed an opinion before selling it ...my god! how good was that? we will order it if he still does it ;)
Loving the posts....great everyone! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Sorry I am not there at the moment Lizilu.   Now I know where you are staying I could have waved to you from my roof terrace.  I know exactly where you are if you are above Shirl!   How lovely to be so near Bob and Jayne and to do things together.   Sounds like you are all having a lot of fun.   

I won't be in Kalkan again for another five weeks so you will all have left before my arrival.   I have never been there at the same time as Bob and Jayne but once chatted to a couple of their guests when I walked past.

Hope you all continue to have a wonderful holiday.   I am reading your blogs daily.

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
 :)Great post, really enjoy hearing about the fun you all have together. I had a similar experience with the fizz on the plane very enjoyable until I tipped half of it over me - what a waste.

Where is the Yelkin Bistro?

Carry on having fun.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Yelken Bistro is along the Kalamar road far end near Café Vita (RH side going toward Kalamar) ;)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
Monday 17th August.

Thanks for your replies Peeps. Glad you are enjoying reading about our hols. You're right about the dessert menu in Kaya K4E. There was only rice pud, chocolate banana something or other and baklava. Sadly no lemon posset BL - that sounds delicious. Not long to go now Keith  8) and TLady, yes, we have a birds eye view of your lovely villa, shame you aren't there to wave to.  :) Janeb, the Yelken bistro is on the kalamar road at the site of the old Yelken Hotel, on the opposite side of the road and a little bit further down than cafe vita.  :)

Yesterday was a fantastic day spent at the Asfiya sea view with Bob and Jayne. As Jayne has already mentioned in her blogs, the hotel is quite quiet at the moment and the management appear happy for people to spend the day there.
It looks so beautiful and serves reasonably priced food and drinks, but the best bit is the sun loungers.  Oh my word, talk about luxurious!  The cushions are so deep and comfy that you feel like you're floating on a feather bed. They even have pillows and a free towel service. They were so comfortable that I'm ashamed to say that I plonked myself down in the shade and didn't wake up for at least an hour and actually woke myself up snoring.  ::)
We had a giggle in the lift back up to the reception area. The boys went to pay our bills but no card machine in the bar area so off we set up to reception with one of the bartenders.We approached the lift, and the doors opened to reveal another staff member with the card
machine in his hands. He then gave it to the bartender who accompanied us back up in the lift while sorting out Bob's transaction. In all my life, I've never before witnessed someone paying their restaurant bill in a lift. 

It was a short but sweaty uphill walk home, a quick G and T then time to get ready for our night at Bodamya Tepe.
We had sundowners at Shirls then walked to the Emir where our chariot should have awaited us. Unfortunately, no chariot arrived. Bob contacted Hassan, who profusely apologised - thought our reservation was for the day after! All was not lost though as a taxi arrived within minutes and whisked us up to Hassans beautiful mountain oasis where our friends M and A were waiting for us.
We had a fab night. I had a selection of starters for my mains as I couldn't decide what to have, and they were delicious. Unfortunately they must have contained lots of garlic as I'm being ostracised by my family this morning - no one is getting too close and actually physically backing away from me if I get to within 10 inches of their personal space! It was bloody good though and well worth it. Ill just have to enjoy my own company today!
We made sure that we mossie sprayed ourselves but I have a few bites this morning as do the others. The wild life up there was amazing. It was like having a nature lesson. We saw bats flying above our heads, an odd wasp, a flock/paddling/brace whatever of ducks and a mean looking land crab among other things scuttling about around our table!
Home for a quick nightcap with our lovely friends and we rolled into bed about 2am, bellies full and content after another brilliant day in our version of Heaven.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
ah you are well into the swing of things now...totally got your Kalkan swag on :)
Oh those dreadful sweaty uphill walks in August..how could I forget :P They mostly ended with an impromptu lashing of myself in the pool - on more than one occasion, fully clothed. A G&T under air con is so much more civilised. BTW, are you availing yourself of the teeny tiny slimline tonics from Yali or going straight for the full fat variety? I meant to say when we were in Kalkan, we found the sugar free still lemonade quite nice with a vodka or gin...topped up with a bit of plain sparkling water. Look for sekersiz on the bottles - available in all good supermarkets and some not so good ;)
Enjoy!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:32 PM »
K4E were you a cocktail waitress in another lifetime?  :laugh:
Lizilu you are definitely into the way of things.....I seriously admire your staying power with all the late nights.....no wonder you were snoring!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
Loving your reports Lizzie, it's like I'm having my holiday twice!! :D :D :D :D

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
Enjoying your reports Lizilu. Can't believe you are staying above Bob and Jayne. I can imagine the raucous times ahead! Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy and please keep posting when you get the time in between eating, drinking,sun bathing, swimming and having "fun in the sun"  8) 8) 8) 8) 

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
Hi Lizilu....your trip up to Bodamya Tepe sounded really good although I'm not too sure about the land crab and other wild life!! As someone that enjoys to eat rather than to smell garlic I always insist that Tracey and I have similar meals.......that way we can still get to enjoy each others personal space.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »
Wednesday 19th August

And so the 'FUN IN THE SUN' continues, in fact I think we are having a little too much fun in the sun, missing a blog yesterday and rattling through the beroccas like they are going out of fashion! Shirl, you are a bad influence  >:D or is that me with you  ???  ;D

K4E - we have yet to spot the micro cans in Yali so full fat it is for now. Thanks for the tip re the lemon juice too.  :-*

Monday was spent in the lovely company of Bob and Jayne at Kalkan beach park. We were ferried over by the cute little wizened Captain in full 'love boat' captain's regalia. I believe he's actually not of pensionable age yet but a good advertisement for not slathering the factor 50 on the facial area.  8)
The beach club has been refurbished since last year and looks lovely, with extensive decking instead of the slimy slippery bit that extended to the sea. The decking seems a little precarious though and we watched quite a few people ( including the staff who maybe haven't got to grips with it yet ) trip over bits of stuck out planks and it wobbled quite a bit as people were walking  over it. Seemed sturdy enough though and fab for people watching. I was fascinated with an 'allo allo' policeman lookalike and was dying to hear him say "I was pissing by the door" but sadly it didn't happen  ;D
We stayed there all day and by the time we got home, sun frazzled and shattered, we could hardly be bothered to get ready again to go out, but we did and dragged ourselves round the town as we hadn't actually had a walk around the old town as yet. As Haybo mentioned, she found me in bag heaven, thankfully I hadn't reserved any as I had my sensible head on but I was very tempted. This was merely the start of my research for this holiday, much more perusing is needed before I commit.  :)
I didn't feel on top form and we decided to eat light, settling on somewhere we've never been before - the soup kitchen! We were shown to the kitchen for a visual guide and given a menu. I had meatballs, the others had wraps and a chicken casserole. The waiter was astounded when we shook our heads at his request for us to try the soup. Another time we promised him. With 2 rounds of drinks, the bill came to a ridiculous amount, approx 115 TL and the food was basic but really tasty. We had a drink in the moonlight bar , which was very quiet which enabled us to have a really good chat to Muhitdin, who confirmed that KAlkan is much quieter this summer.

Yesterday was our day out on sunset 3 with the gang. I didn't think I'd be able to make it as I awoke with the dreaded lurgy - I knew I felt off colour the previous evening, and didn't think I could be too far from a toilet, but things calmed down and seeing as I didn't actually feel sick we set off down cardiac hill, waving to suave cap'n Abdi from piña x on the way.
Like Haybo, I think I prefer a smaller boat but we had a fab day nonetheless and my tummy behaved itself enough for a little swim and some lunch.
Last night, Shirl and I and the rest of the gang decided to hit the town, and boy did we! I think this deserves a blog of its own so until tomorrow.....

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
 :)Hope you feel much better today. Talk about a cliff hanger! Can't wait until tomorrow blog. Enjoy today. 

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Sorry you're not feeling great, but you sound like you're having fun anyway! x

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
It must have been a big night 'cos I was at Shirls at about 11 and there was not a peep from upstairs!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tlos

Views: 3720
By: jofoss
view of kalkan