Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'  (Read 47504 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
Saturday 22nd August

Jayne is correct, we can be sensible and here's the proof  :D

Yesterday I awoke with a fresh crop of zits. I am now symmetrical in that I have a lovely pimply left chin to match the right hand side. Undeterred by my facial disfigurement we set off for brunch at chillies. We walked by the back roads, past the meldi and Korsan and it was so pretty, reminiscent of when we used to go to little Greek Islands. A previously for us, undiscovered part of Kalkan.

Brunch was amazing. I've heard that there is a new chef at chillies and certainly the presentation was immaculate but more importantly the food was delicious too. I can't comment on lunch or dinner but breakfast/brunch was spot on. We were already with Bob Jayne and Katie and met haybo and her family there for their last breakfast before departing later in the day.
We all had various themes of breakfast. I had a Turkish breakfast along with some of the others and some had full English and one menemen. The Turkish breakfast was huge - I could only make a small dent in it. Chillies have shared my pic on Facebook so if any of you are on there take a peek. It was lovely and everyone seemed to enjoy their choice too.

Poor Bob and Automan have been plagued with aches and pains this holiday but my magic pills have sorted them out. My knees have been a bit gyppy too but I put that down to all the exercise they are having. One thing about staying in town is that nowhere is too far away and it's great being able to stroll around without the need for taxis. As lovely as a villa up in the Gods is for the views, you can't beat being nearer town. It's a real novelty to us.

We spent the afternoon lounging around the apartments pool and boy was it hot yesterday. I'm pretty sure that yesterday was the hottest so far, the first time I've really felt the utter exhaustion that heat makes you feel. It was even an effort to slide into the pool and me and my Walter were inseparable. He kept gravitating toward Bob though - I think Walter is batting for the other team this holiday  :o

Last evening we spent a fabulous few hours with the gang on our moonlight cruise on the yildiz 2. It was fantastic. As usual Osman and his lovely family went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed ourselves and provided a spread to die for. We watched the sun, red as the fireball it is, slowly disappear, squashing down on the horizon until no more, then the unusual bright orange crescent moon became its replacement. We bobbed along in a soporific state of total relaxation, watching the stars above twinkling and the sea black as the night sky with tiny cusps of silver glinting in the moonlight. As a family we lay together and discussed our futures, hopes dreams and ambitions - our elder daughter making us giggle as she wants to open a shack on a Caribbean beach that will eventually become so popular she will own the island. Ahhh sweet teenage dreams  :)

All this and only 2 glasses of wine. See we can do sensible  ;D

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Quote "All this and only 2 glasses of wine. See we can be sensible"

Now now girls, be honest, was  it more of a case that you were both still  hungover and suffering from the effects of a bit of sea sickness!   >:D
You will laugh but I have been known on occasions ( when I have over indulged) to take my sea sickness tablets just so I can lay out on the floating rafts at the beach clubs!
Are you planning to go back again to Kalkan Beach club as I have a little photographic job for you or Jayne! Don't worry it doesn't involve pirates or trees  ;D ;D

Continue having fun in the sun! :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
Sounds like another great day was had by all.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
Sounds like another great day was had by all.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »
 :) Think the outbreak of spots you are getting is what I used to call Geriatric Acne ! when I was a "Woman of a Certain Age "  :) The good thing is that when you get to 60 they all clear up !!! ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Yep!!!! your zits will go ..then you will grow grey hairs on your chin the thickness of milk straws >:D :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2015, 03:52:56 PM »
Lizilu....another great post!! You almost turned into a romantic novelist as you described the evening on Yildiz 2. A very descriptive and captivating piece of writing.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2015, 06:48:40 AM »
BL...they're not grey hairs, they are strands of glitter......

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
Exactly what my grandson says, "Your hair's not grey - it's glittery!"

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
Sunday 23rd August

Oh dear, feeling a little 'fuzzy' this morning. 2 new zits and the start of a cold sore not helping matters as I gazed in the mirror this a.m. desperately trying to get my blurry eyes to focus. Thank you Keith for your lovely comment and sadly BL, I already have the whiskers and own various implements of torture to remove the blighters. Ladies, you are lucky that your chin hairs are glittery silver strands of wispiness. Mine are more Desperate Dan style sadly  :)

Yesterday we spent the day sunning ourselves around the pool in the apartments, breaking the day up with a stroll to yali for lunch provisions. We ate al fresco on the balcony, watching the world go by and happy that the little stroll to yali was much nicer than our usual Saturday 'big shop' at tesco/morrisons/asda. No trollies banging into my ankles and dodging pensioners as I whip around the aisles in a Lewis Hamilton fashion, desperate to get the shopping done so I can finish the housework and get 3 loads of washing laundered before work/school/college on Monday. Oh no, my Saturday was blissful in comparison to normal. I couldn't help myself and washed all the apartment towels though - it was Saturday after all!

Last night it was finally the last leg of my Golden Birthday Celebrations. I've stretched this birthday out as long as I possibly can but it has to come to an end soon and what better way than to end the celebrations in Kalkan, in one of our favourite restaurants with our lovely friends. So off we toddled to Mussakka, stopping off for a swift drink at Lime on the way.
Lime was very nice and we've heard that their burgers are pretty good too. The waiter looked at me a little oddly when I asked for raki and sprite, "really? oh okaaay" was his response. I guess it's not the traditional way to drink it but I love the taste combo.
We then made our slightly merry way to Mussakka and were given a huge welcome from Mehmet and his crew. The food as usual was delicious. I had my favourite creamy chicken livers to start followed by a summer steak and it was exceptional. Perfection on a plate.
No desert for me as I was stuffed but suddenly the gentle background music exploded into life and sparklers appeared, all the waiters gathered around me, sang happy birthday and presented me with a beautiful desert platter, the plate etched with chocolate, proclaiming 'happy birhtday' (sic)  :D apparently Jayne had a sneaky word earlier with Mehmet as although this was planned as the last of my birthday treats, I hadn't mentioned it when we booked.
Mehmet joined us for a chat and asked me if my birthday was today, I sheepishly muttered "actually it was in July" and hung my head in shame. He burst out laughing, shaking his head saying that in Turkey, birthdays were definitely not celebrated in such an elaborate fashion  :)
After a fabulous time in Mussakka we headed off to our new favourite haunt, black and gold.
A few vodkas and one shisha later, we staggered home, got as far as Bob and Jaynes balcony and we were so thirsty, we just had to sink another vodka or two.  ::)

I'm paying the price this morning  ::) :) ;)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
Hi Lizzie,

Sounds like the birthday celebrations have gone on pretty well, dread to think how the next BIG one will go down in 10 years time!!! :laugh:

Like you I always have leminade with Raki and get the same strange looks. Cannot drink it with water like the turks do.

Hope the spots clear up soon...probably the alcohol clearining the blood!!!! Enjoy the rest of the hold!

Barb

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
Some of us that use the Meldi as our base, refer to the walk into town along Nilüfer Sokak as "Bougainvillea Boulevard".

Strictly unofficially, of course!

Once you've used this route to Chillies and the town, you never use the Kalamar Road (Cumhuriyet Caddesi) again...

Quite apart from the unevenness of the footpath, the traffic's a lot safer, though the short cut through the old car park to the main town roundabout was not always open last year, alas.

15 days and counting...
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
I am all in favour of dragging birthday celebrations out.......especially the 'big' ones.....my golden birthday lasted a good 3/4 weeks......and now I'm building up to the 'diamond' birthday, much to my horror!  :o

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
Quite agree chris, trouble these days I have to go by taxi and they always turn into Kalkamar road :(

When we first  went to the Meldi we could not walk through as there was a wall across and so we used to walk along the coastal road which was also very pretty, have not managed this route for a few years now and I guess it is now built up a lot more,

Really envious of all those about to go on holiday. have a great time.

Hope the golden birthday continues Lizzie,

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
Sounds like Moussaka  turns out to be a good replacement for Odak and really glad Jayne arranged a fiery finish to the proceedings.  ;D
 Can't quite understand why that was the final fling for the Golden Birthday bash - are you planning to live like paupers for the rest of your holiday? Can't quite see it somehow! Only two weeks until we go ourselves so I'm just starting the usual process of preparation  :o :( 8). Let me know of any recommendations - including a few dance bars now that my hips are cured!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
Sounds like Moussaka  turns out to be a good replacement for Odak and really glad Jayne arranged a fiery finish to the proceedings.  ;D
 Can't quite understand why that was the final fling for the Golden Birthday bash - are you planning to live like paupers for the rest of your holiday? Can't quite see it somehow! Only two weeks until we go ourselves so I'm just starting the usual process of preparation  :o :( 8). Let me know of any recommendations - including a few dance bars now that my hips are cured!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »
Oh Lizilu sorry to hear you were suffering a bit this morning, but I'm sure you are back out there again enjoying another great night in Kalkan. Hair of the dog and all that!

Sounds like you had another wonderful birthday celebration. Personally I would milk it for all it's worth. As far as I'm concerned the year doesn't finish until 31st December so keep going girl!

Thanks for passing my message to Shirl yesterday.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Sometimes its the combination of thick high factor sunscreen and, in that heat, sweat that blocks the pores and causes spots. I keep a clean towel by my sunbed for ladylike dabbing of the sweat that sometimes comes over all manly and drips on my book  :o Most unladylike. The sun should dry them up...although I would be venturing along to my best friend the pharmacist for something to help them on their merry way.
Loving your reports and glad you enjoyed Mussakka - always a favourite and despite the smaller venue still delivering some of the best steaks in Kalkan. I was having a clear-out at the weekend and came across a picture of BH and I in the first Mussakka in 2009. In that first year Mehmet took a photo of diners at their table then printed it super-quick and included it with the bill - signing the back with the date. It was our second trip of the year late on in October and you can see the delight on our faces that he was still doing this right at the end of the season. We also look young and considerably slimmer :'(
I think if the queen can have a jubilee year the queen of Kalkan can too. Keep going until someone says otherwise :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
Tuesday 25th August

How I love my mornings in kalkan. Every day we are woken up to a cafetière of ground coffee left outside our front door by Shirl. In fact bit of a routine going on now and it's very much appreciated.

One new neck boil and only 2 chin zits this morning so hopefully the peri-menopausal acne is starting to calm down a bit!

So where were we? Sorry for not posting yesterday but it was a busy one. Sunday was spent at the lovely Asfiya again after a very nice breakfast at bread and more. It was the first time we had been there but definitely not the last. Not sure if I'd like to go for dinner as there are so many other restaurants to choose from, but my menemen was absolutely delicious and a good 9 on my menemen score card.
Sunday evening was spent at Asian Garry with the gang. The food was delicious as usual but the atmosphere was not quite the same as last year. Jawad and Emine his wife are a lovely couple who have just had another baby, so the lovely bubbly Emine of course wasn't there to greet us. I'm not sure of the politics there, but I believe that jawad has been let down by some of his staff and is having to do all of the cooking himself. He is a very good chef and as I said earlier, my dinner was delicious. I had a chicken shashlik with butter chicken sauce and it was really lovely. The meal unfortunately was marred by the arrival of a very rude customer.  This man and his lady companion were extremely rude to the waiters so jawad came out to speak to them and we overheard him tell poor jawad to F off!!! This was preceded by the rude man asking if the chef was Indian as they wanted authentic curry. His lady (and I use that term loosely) then said she wouldn't be staying if it wasn't a 'proper curry' and in the same breath asked if they did chips! Enough said!!!
We made our excuses and left, aghast at how some people can be so downright arrogant and feel as though they have the right to treat others so shabbily. I realised that I'd lost an earring at some point that evening and messaged Jawad. Despite the upset that had happened, he and his staff got on their hands and knees and looked for my earring, not only that night, but in the morning too. Sadly my earring could not be found, just like the rude mans manners.   :(

Yesterday was spent on the ocean wave with the suave captain Abdi on the lovely piña x. We had a fabulous day with the gang and I have to say that I think this is my favourite boat. It's really luxurious and really cannot be faulted in my eyes.
Shirl and I bobbed around like 2 little ducks with our noodles ( or woggles as Jayne calls them - it's a norf sahth thing  :) ), watching our daughters do daring jumps and dives from the side of the boat.
The evening culminated in a meal with the gang up on our roof terrace. Chef Bob made the most marvellous chicken, which we had with sausages, home made scrummy humous and various salads,  cheese and crusty bread. It was delicious. We were all shattered after our boat trip and were in bed by midnight.

Today we have wheels so watch out Kalkan and surrounding areas, it's road trip day!  ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
Loving your holiday reports Lizilu20, sounds, as usual, that your all having a fantastic time in Kalkan.

Sad to read about that mans dreadful behaviour, why do people think they can treat others like that ? I mean what did he want....authentic 'chips & curry sauce'    I have spoken to Jawad & know he is very upset about the incident :-(((

Keep the reports coming, can't get enough :-)))
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal