Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: English TV  (Read 19488 times)

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: English TV
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
Certainly a few options there to research. 

Thanks to all for your tips and experiences! 

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »
Oh, but if you are one of the 86% of smartphone users who don't use an iPhone, then you're a bit stuffed if you try to use AppleTV, aren't you? >:D >:D :angel:

Whatever happened to the wet string and milk bottle tops?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
Yea  Chris, i was aware of that.

The best thing is to keep things as simple as possible to use - especially for rental guests! As i say i will try the Amazon Firestick (preloaded with Kodi) first before i consider signing up to more services. 

I have a Netflix account in UK and i think you can use in Turkey under the same subscription ( 2 devices can stream at same time on my plan) - but i need to try it for myself when i get out there. 

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
Oh, but if you are one of the 86% of smartphone users who don't use an iPhone, then you're a bit stuffed if you try to use AppleTV, aren't you? >:D >:D :angel:

Whatever happened to the wet string and milk bottle tops?

Amazing stat, I really shocked 😳
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Mike, your UK subscription for Netflix doesn't work in Turkey....sorry :( We try every year without success - although it has worked abroad for us in other areas, we've never managed to get it working when we are in Kalkan. We have watched films via YouTube but their quality isn't always the best, depending on who uploaded them.
We took the Firestick last year - which was loaded with Kodi - but the TV didn't have the correct port to connect it - it wasn't the most up to date model, to be fair ::)
Let us know if you get it working - Pompeyalbie seemed to manage it ok.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
 K4E....If its an older TV I assume it had scart connectors..would a Firestick work with an HDMI to scart adaptor? (About £10 on e bay)I have Kodi on my Firestick (sounds painful! :o ) but it is a bit hit and miss in the UK so I don't know if mine would work in Turkey...thinks I may have to erase it and load it again :-*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:24:27 PM by Blue Lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Will do K4E!  Yep you need an HDMI socket on the TV.  Shame about Netflix - I read in some other forum (Dalyan I think) that they managed to view Netflix using their UK sign on - perhaps there is a location setting to change on your Netflix profile - don't honestly know but not a major issue.

I must say I am impressed with a trial run of Kodi for free access of up-to-date movies - most are reasonable HD quality but you need to install one of the video addons which took a few minutes - it certainly opened up a new world of movies.

Hopefully one of the above options  will yield something .. and sort some wintery nights in Kalkan.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
We have IPTV, it works very well and has loads of channels.  I also have Kodi loaded on my PC, no need for the box unless you want to keep the box connected permanently to your TV. 

If you have a newish Android smart phone with Smart Mirror, you can also cast the film to your TV if the TV also has the ability to mirror.  I think the new Samsung TVs all have this.  This works very well too.

Kodi does not have catch-up.  Re Kodi and Exodus, you can download many of the movies onto your computer or a USB drive (flash drive), then stick that into a TV with a USB connection.

But Netflix UK does not work in Turkey.  Your TV model has to be bought in the UK and you would need to be using a VPN to make it appear that you are in the UK.

For iPlayer, you need your UK TV licence number and a VPN.  We use both IPVanish (very quick and stable) and HMA which has the most servers of any VPN.  You can also use Smart DNS which gives you access to Netflix, Amazon movies, Hulu and other streaming programs in the UK and the US.  I used to use this to watch iPlayer but recently they ask for a TV licence number to verify that you are an authorised user.

Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 08:24:54 AM »
You can also just Google putlocker.ch and all movies and TV series are on there. Also, I have just used iPlayer and wasn't asked for any TV licence number.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
OneLove

True stat, I'm afraid.

It's about the same for both the iPhone and the iPad, principally because of marketing and the media which believes its the only thing that works (watch the news, dramas, etc-  they all use Apple on-screen - it's called product placement). [I had a colleague who told me he only used an iPad because Photoshop ran on it - he couldn't believe my Windows machine did as well!]

What skews the figures are the 86% of non-IoS users are spread over numerous vendors, Samsung, LG, HTC etc., etc., which reduces the headline market share of individual manufacturers and are thus ignored by the media as inconvenient.  They only get mentioned when they have battery issues (unforgivable, but as an engineer, it's going to happen at some point in time, as Boeing demonstrated on the 787), whereas Apple's woes rarely get mentioned, like losing multi-billion dollar patent cases.

Apple monopolise their entire product line which prevents this dilution, and disguises the unpalatable truth, whereas the Android market is 'free' and used by the vast majority who merely pay the relatively low licence fee to Android (or Google, who own it).  (And before anyone says the Android store is full of rogue software, this is not the case - all new apps are vetted by Android - even free ones).

The remainder of the usage is taken by Windows phones (but not PCs - still the biggest share by some enormous margin), and finally by Blackberry, both of which appear to be declining in popularity; plus some even less-used systems (often Governmental run secure systems).

At the end of the day, what works for you is fine - enjoy!  But it's not a good idea to assume that everyone else uses the same equipment (as this link demonstrates with the multitude of solutions).

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
I just now got some programs on iPlayer via Kodi.  But if I use a VPN to logon with a UK ip address, then go directly to iPlayer, it always asks me for a TV licence.  Even the Kodi addon says the viewer should have a licence, but plays the selected program anyway.

Note: putlocker.ch seems to be dead and gone.  No top page.  Reported that it stopped working on Oct 23.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:55:17 PM by Cosetta »

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
I use a different VPN on my tablet and Chromebook and both allow my to use iPlayer at the moment. It should have been putlockers.ch.  I have been using over last 6 months no problem.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
The latest release of the Opera browser comes with a built in (free) VPN, that seems to work a lot better and is probably more secure than the free options out there.

I haven't tried it in Turkey yet but will do in April.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
phutlockers.ch does close down periodically then starts up again, we've found. We do use that at home now and again, working for us at the moment.
BL that TV was from the Ark...! It had a built in DVD player so no scart and the back of the TV was 10 times the size of the screen! A first generation digital tv and no mistake! We are in different accomodation next year and it appears to have a flat screen tv, so fingers crossed there's a port for connection. Its only for the nights we stay in, I'm not interested in catch-up TV, I can catch up when I'm home.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
If you use Kaspersky - it has numerous VPNs - the nearest is free, more costs you - probably a secure bet with a company that size!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:32 PM »
Hello again, long time no post. Re Kodi & catch up TV, on my Firestick I put what is known as a build, this is a suite of addons built by clever people which contains addons for everything, live TV ( both UK & worldwide), sport, tv shows, movies, music, you name it & it's out there to stream. Google Areswizard to find out how to install it on Kodi, I use Duggzbuild for my streaming. No need to pay for Netflix.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 08:30:09 AM »
Our kodi has the same package of add ons....bt sport sky sport classic tv.100's of films and lots more......however,even streaming a football match here,in the uk,with fibre optic broadband continually freezes ( all other stuff works....just not sport......so I'm sure it wouldn't work in kalkan where the internet speeds are generally lower.

I have tried the firestick/kodi on our tv (a technica flatscreen from Tesco and taken over to kalkan) and it doesn't work......with the exception of you tube videos,that do work.

I have been told that by changing the time zone settings to turkey,it may work....that is not really possible either (  as there isn't a time zone setting;on kodi, that specifically matches turkey ).......and lastly,i think you require a VPN to block/mask the ip address of your computer so it doesn't know where you are in the world.........I haven't tried this yet and don't really know how to attempt it.......but I will try to find out before our april kalkan visit

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
Yes, you need a VPN.  I use Kodi and various add-ons directly on my laptop, no Firestick.  Some movies and BBC documentaries are streamed in poor quality, others great.  Seems to depend on the source of the stream.

Offline Mike

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »
Hi Pompeyalbie,

you seem to have found the holy grail ! Is that without VPN and just Kodi with a build & straight Internet on your TV firestick or am I missing something here?

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
Yes, used it in Kisla last May & in Corfu in October, a friend took one to France & just plugged & played, no VPN or anything.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
TV in English

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
by Cosetta
xx
ATM English money

Started by ladyliz on Money & Finance

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 05:25:29 AM
by amber
xx
English summer

Started by MartynE on The Everything Else Area!

12 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 11:00:23 PM
by clara 50
xx
English weather !

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on Weather

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 08:18:00 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal