Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Watch out, watch out, there's a Haybo about!  (Read 26942 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Watch out, watch out, there's a Haybo about!
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:23:28 AM »
Morning folks,

Sitting by our backdoor at home, and i can honestly say it's freezing! Hard to beleive that in less than 24 hours I will be sipping my coffee looking down onto that wonderful, heart, body and soul warming view.....KALKAN!

Just a few jobs to do around the house - we are having a house sitter as we were burgled again 2 weeks ago for the 2nd time in 4 months.  So, any potential burglars reading this.....there are no motorbikes left at Chez Haybo to get your ever-so grubby hands on! Thus means i have to leave the place super tidy!

Then we need to drop the dog off...we have some lovely friends who literally fight over having him. we are very blessed!

So, we are in town the same time as Bob & Jayne, Kalkan Gems, Lizilu20 and many other regulars, so no doubt some of our antics will be in cahoots with them! I will tell you the true version of events as I don't really drink!  watch this space....

See you on the other side xx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12938.0

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Watch out, watch out, there's a Haybo about!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »
Morning Haybo,

I do hope they leave your house alone, what a rotten thing to happen.

Sounds like there will be quite a big party going on when you all meet up, all of them sound a real good bunch to holiday with. Have a great time.

Not stepped out of the door yet but looks nice and sunny here in London, off to a BBQ later for my sons birthday.

Have a safe flight and a great holiday.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:32 PM »
Hi Haybo, so sorry to hear about you burglaries, that's awful. Good idea to get a house sitter, it should help ease the worry.

So, off to Kalkan you go  8) 8) 8) 8)

Very much looking forward to hearing all about it and hopefully joining in with some of it very soon!  :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
Hi Haybo

How awful for you. I hope the worry won't spoil your holiday.

Well all being well I'm guessing you have arrived? Have a fab holiday and I'll look forward to reading all about it.

It's actually a glorious day here so maybe summer has finally arrived. Perfect for topping up my fading Kalkan tan, but I know where I'd rather be!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »
We have made it! After 51 weeks of Daily visits to the forum and the webcams, we are really here in person!

We had a decent flight from the UK, were off the flight in record time...about 9 minutes from touchdown to being inside the building, but then the visa hall......what a joke! We got in a queue which just didn't seem to move, others were moving really fast...do we jump queue or stick where we were so we did the British thing and just politely stayed there.  After nearly 40 minutes we got to about 3 parties from the front and the chap in the box just picked up his butty box and left! No replacement, shutters down...gone!   

Into another queue and thus guy tried to do the same! We were not happy campers.  Still, once we were through there was no waiting for our bags as they were the only 3 left on the carousel! Can you believe that Shirl! How funny!

Another great transfer down and we arrived at the apt around 11:45.  Quick loo stop then off to get some tea.  I have been in contact with Ata Mezze and they knew we were coming, so yet again they guys there really looked after us! Home at last !

Got to bed at around 2am so what a surprise when everyone was up and about at 7am.  Very lazy day spent doing a spot of shopping, pool time and catching up with Facebook friends, plus folks that were here last year too!
As expected the gang were dropping to bits late afternoon so we pulled ourselves together early doors and headed out around 7 to a family fave hunkars! I had been dreaming Of doner betyi for a year!  Great food at a great price.

Quick mooch along to Lucky to change a bit if cash, the bank wouldn't accept our £20's in the cashpoint and get an icecream from romantica.  Not sure about the stalls etc along that stretch....its maybe busier because of seaport and mussaka, but it felt a bit like a german market....sorry!

Early to bed for us ....days of excitement ahead...boat trips, Ephesus, jeep hire,more boat trips and beach clubs..... Oh and most important of all..BAG SHOPS

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:57:18 AM »
Glad you are there in paradise safe and sound.I hope your holiday goes brilliantly.I know what you mean about the " German market " stalls.Also the young children trying to sell you little trinkets and bracelets etc.It is getting a little like Marmaris just there.It is not for me at all.

Look forward to hearing about your many adventures to come.Have a fabulous day.

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »
Hey you finally made it! Sounds like a nightmare through the visa check. I didn't realise that you could still get them at the airport - just glad we've done ours online, although the queue at passport control will probably be the same. It's brilliant in April when you can walk atrIdht through.
Well we spotted you all tonight on the webcam!!! Hope your meal went well and looking forward to hearing all about it.  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
Lizilu- that was with the visa already! It was a shambles. Glad you saw ys, passersby thought we were bonkers!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Hi all, sorry have been a bit tardy, but we have been taking it easy and internet acess has been a bit hit and miss.  So, what have we been up to?

Sunday moring saw hubby and I walking along to Enes to pay for the car hire later in the week, but guess what, they didn,t want our money until we were finished, when you live in a society where they want all your personal data and a hefty deposit to borrow some armbands at the leisure. Centre, its seems amazing that someone will let you drive off with a valuable asset like a car! Humbling to say the least! Anyway, we got to see Antlers Yellow Villa so that looks a prospect for the big 5 0 holiday!

Rest of the day spent chilling out before a meal with Bob &Jayne and kalkan Gems in Symrna, run by Rami.  Excellent meal.  I had parmeasan chicken and it was lovely. 

Monday was spent on the fab Yildiz 3. Nothing more to add really, except those kids are golden.  What a fabulous work ethic. 

Tuesday we got the car, so a bit of 'heavy stuff' shopping from Yali and a trip to simply chic just to get the feel of the car, then a quiet afternoon before heading up into the hills to find Bodamye Tepe.  What a lovely spot up there! Sadly it was a bit hazy so not a lot to see.  Great food but ruined by the wasps up there.  We had to move inside in the end as we had gone early and it wasnt yet dark.  Top tip - go in the dark! Early night for us as we were off on our big road trip on Wednesday!

So, alarm went of at 04:30 and the Haybo clan gladly and willingly (!) leapt out of bed......quick coffees, gathering together essentials etc and we were off at about 05:20! Googlemaps said the journey to Ephesus would take about 4:22' but the satnav said 5hrs! I was not happy, but off we set.....hardly saw a car at all! Stopped in a shell garage with the most amazing toilets ever...stop at one! Made great progress and hit the nearby town in 3:30! Had breakfast and then hit Ephesus.  It was already very hot and very busy with tours and stuff. 

Tom bought me an umbrella to shade me...i dont think i would have coped without.  Ephesus is a magnificent place.  I have recently become a Christian and to think that this place is mentioned in the Bible and that Paul wrote a letter that became a whole book in the Bible was quite something for me.  A special day!

Journey back was almost as quick, we got home just before 18:00, planned an early tea, but didnt actually eat until 9.  We went to Bread & More on the stength (not recommendation!) of Antler, and had a lovely meal.  I had bread and more meatballs - what a huge meal! Delicious.  Sadly, we were their only customers.....if you fancy a night away from the hustle and bustle...give them a try! Jut up the Kalamar Road. 

Late start for me today, but we should be heading to a beach club late via the opticians to get my new specs. 
Oh my epic fail for today is buying coffee beans instead of grounds...need to ask all the neighbours ifthey have a grinder they can lend us!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
Good to hear from you again haybo.

I admire your stamina re that trip to Ephesus. I think we'd have probably stayed somewhere overnight and done it in 2 days. Many, many years ago, a friend and I did a road trip from Izmir to fethiye and it was a long drive if I remember rightly.

We stopped off at Ephesus and it was amazing. I know exactly what rosiB meant when she said about the feelings that overcame her at the ruins in patara because even after all these years, I remember that overwhelming feeling of awe and wonder in Ephesus. Somewhere I'd love to go again.

So, I bet it feels good having another couple of weeks left doesn't it? This time next week we will be very excited as its our K day!!! Can't wait!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:01:36 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
We had a trip to Ephesus last October and it was amazing...but we broke the journey up with an overnight stay in Bodrum (which was ok, I guess, if you like that sort of thing - I think Kalkan has spoilt us for other seaside resorts in Turkey ;) ).

Not sure I would have fancied doing that journey all in one go, but Ephesus is just spellbinding and, yes, quite overwhelming when you think about the two thousand years that has passed since its construction. Definitely worth the effort of making that trip. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
We went to Ephesus many years ago while staying in Kusadasi...we got a dolmus from the town and went by horse and cart to the village of Selcuk nearby to the museum which houses much of the stuff from Ephesus very interesting..it was quite strange to see the History of all those years and imagine all that had happened in Ephesus to learn that the repairs that were being carried out to the main Amphitheatre at Ephesus was to repair damage caused by the sound equipment of the Pop band "Police" (they held concerts in there) ...naughty Mr Sting!!  ;D
(Paul Young did a concert too but the earth didn't move ..apparently ;D)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:31:26 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »
Oh that does bring memories back - we also did Ephesus whilst staying in Kusadasi in the 80's and likewise did the horse and cart thing. I think this place is truly remarkable - and the fact that you could walk down streets and look into houses and really feel as though you have been transported back 2000 years...its incredibly well excavated....and the site is huge! Oh Haybo, what a brave lot you are tackling that trip in one day - I would have been exhausted but 3hrs30 to Kusadasi is good going - it can take that long to get to to The Lakes from where we live and we've often done that in a day.
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »

What an amazing trip.We have been to Euphesus in May but also stayed over at a lovely hotel just outside Bodrum,in Bardaci bay at The Azca hotel.You are so brave to have done it in one trip.I think Sting loves this type of arena but damage is being done,but an amazing venue to see a concert.Glad you are having an amazing holiday and love reading all about the reports..please keep them coming

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 04:56:09 AM »
Haybo your trip sounds amazing, we have never been, you must have had a fabulous day, look forward to hearing all about it later.   :D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 06:02:35 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I couldn't bear to be away from Kalkan for any longer than was absolutely necessary hence the big trip in a day.

As it was market day yesterday we headed in the opposite direction and went into town! First we walked over to enes to pay for the car hire.  Those guys are the best.  They werent fussed about being paid, bought us cold water, offered us a lift into town and have undertaken to get Tom back to the airport next Friday by either putting him in a car with another party if they agree, or sending him in one of the cars that was due to go empty. 

So we walked into town from there, waved frantically to my Mum and Dad at the Mavi webcam which they loved, and then went in a few bag shops, had a drink in Merkez, booked a table at Alternatif and then went to Goz opticians as i have a completely new prescription and need new specs and the lenses changed in my sunnies. 

Back home for some sunbathing and watching the kids at Emir being  given a diving lesson by anothe guest.  Great fun...they all really improved!

Out to Alternatif for dinner, where the boys had the best steak they've ever eaten and i had a lovely prawn dish.  They had sorted out a bitrthday cake for me so we had all the flares and fireworks too! It was great!   The kids that had been diving in the afternoon were in the restaurant too so we shared the cake with them.  They were so pleased and polite.  A true credit to their parents!

All in all a simple, but great day!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
Happy belated birthday wishes :)
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip to Ephesus! Like Lizilu20 I think I would have needed 2 days as it must have been very tiring, but hey, just think, you have another 2 weeks to recover  :) :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Sounds like a lovely relaxing day after your mammoth road trip.

Happy belated birthday - I know all about birthday celebrations this year, as I'm having an official birthyear, rather than birthday, so you can join in my kalkan birthyear celebrations too soon  ;) ;)  :).

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Happy Birthday!
What a trip, when you asked for suggestions no one thought you planned to tKe on something so huge!
Glad you had an amazing time  :laugh:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes.  It was actually my birthday on 19 july but i was away looking after my Mum who has broken her wrist and ankle, so the boys arranged the special surprise for me last night!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another scam to watch out for

Started by onelove on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 09:42:22 AM
by tortoise lady
xx
Watch Repair

Started by kalkan4eva on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 11:06:39 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
fake watch. help please

Started by helzbelzz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

23 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 11:09:10 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Efes watch

Started by pw on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 04:00:04 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan shopping.JPG

Views: 3123
By: Lindy
Kalkan cat