Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ........  (Read 33355 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ........
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
PW, there is nothing in what I wrote that even slightly suggested that Chillies was to blame, and that was never my intention. I feel you're being oversensitive and presumptuous in assuming that's what I meant.

No, I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest Chillies were to blame but others picked up on the fact that the 2 members of your family that were, unfortunately, ill both ate chicken there. I felt one post in particular needed a response.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:39:02 PM by pw »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
I apologise if my post caused any offence. I'm fairly new at posting to the forum and was just looking to apply the same logic as I would at home if one of the family went down with sickness and diarrhoea. From reading the update on KTLN it would appear that the quality of water may be causing the problem.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:34 AM »
Our boat trip was great, despite my misgivings. Part of my problem with them is that I feel trapped and that leads to me being restless - I do like to keep busy! Today, however, I managed to relax and enjoy the experience. The sea was very calm all day, and the boat were on wasn't too crowded. By the end of the day, Mia even felt brave enough to go into the water without a noodle - I didn't! Lunch was delicious - fish, mixed salad, beans, pasta, couscous, carrot and yogurt salad, a spicy tomato salad and lots of bread. Even though we've been coming to Kalkan for years, I've never been lucky enough to see any turtles, but at our last stop in Firnaz Bay we saw two; I was so excited I couldn't even take a photo!

It's strange how a day out at sea, doing nothing but relaxing, can make you tired, but by the time we'd all showered no one felt like doing very much. Bill suggested that we just go down to the Yelken Bistro to save me having to cook, so that's what we did. Bill had halloumi followed by lamb's liver, Mia had chicken fajitas and I had mucver and delicious grilled sea bass. No one had room for a dessert - until Mia spotted lemon cheesecake on the menu! She and Bill both have an incredibly sweet tooth which is usually quite well controlled (!) But they decided to share a portion between them. Then it was back up to the apartment. It was only just after nine and no one was quite ready to go to bed so out came the cards. My family is Italian, and if you know Italians you'll know how much they love a game of cards, and this is a tradition we've continued with Mia. She gets very competitive and loves winning, but last night it was my turn!

Well, that was our day - not dramatic but fun. Bring on the next one!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
You don't always want "dramatic" days when on holiday anyway.  Sounds like you had a most wonderful day to me.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Jo

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
Hi RosiB.. Hope to see you soon.. I arrive on Friday night.. Looking forward to catching up with Bill and having a beer rather than a quick chat in the queue to pay the electricity bill like last year... Heard great things about the Elkin Bistro as well... Best wishes and hope you are all feeling better... My lot have had something too... Coco  ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Oh I do love a boat trip!

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:06 AM »
Hi, Coco! Bill says he's looking forward to that beer!

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:34 AM »
Honest, your Honour, I didn't mean to do it! They made me!

I promised not to buy another bag this year, but on Monday evening, we made the fundamental error of going into BSG with Mia and Lara and going upstairs where the sale bags are. I've tried to be practical this year and have been using a backpack but I was getting fed up with it as the others seem to think it's ok to put all their stuff in it too and I'd carry it for them. I thought I might get myself a smaller, practical bag, but the girls spotted "the one" and I walked out of there with a lovely red Mulberry. I did wrestle with my conscience a bit - for all of ten seconds - but I'm a weak woman and the girls were VERY convincing!  It's not like I won't use it, though. My second treat of the day was an iced coffee in Cafe del Mar - the best in Kalkan, I think. I MUST get back on track tomorrow!

Yesterday was the day of our cookery lesson at Guru's; I'd had a feeling that Bill might chicken out of it, and sure enough he thought that he'd better not go with us as he didn't think he was completely over the lurgy. I decided not to put up an argument - after all, he didn't complain about the bag too much!- and Mia and I had a great morning shopping and cooking with Huseyin. We even brought back some of our borek for Bill to try - and delicious they were!

Today is going to be a pool day - how very unusual - NOT!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
ha ha ha, I'm hoping I'm going to be in your shoes too Ros re the bag, I've been squirreling away my birthday money for the very same reason. I'm fed up of being Mum the pack horse  :)

I bet the cookery lesson was really good and I bet those borek were amazing. Yum Yum. :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
First of all..excellent shopping! Straight to the BSG sale upstairs has to be everyone's first point of call when bag shopping this year....the bags are incredible value. Go with an open mind and you may pick up a bargain. We bought so many things off them this year that I even got a discount on top of the cash discount - absolutely unheard of :) Well done RosiB you make me proud!
Loved the cookery lessons with Huseyin at Guru's - does his Mum still do all the work..?
Hey you're on holiday so a bag, an iced coffee and a cookery lesson is par for the course.
Love these reports, so keep them coming...
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »
RosiB, so glad that you enjoyed your boat trip, it certainly is one of the best days for us when in Kalkan, and as K4E says well done on your bag purchase, and even better from the sale at BSG, so glad that you only wasted 10 seconds wrestling with your conscience, where ladies and bags are concerned, it just has to be done!  I love going in that shop, and even more so, if you manage to bag a bargain!! I already have a list to bring home 2 x hermes belts, a Mulberry clutch bag and a Mulberry messenger bag for friends before I can even think about what I might like!  :D :D

Your cookery course sounded fab, and we hope that Bill has now fully recovered and that you are having a lovely relaxing day round your pool. 

1 more sleep for us, am so excited, this time tomorrow we'll be on our way to the Airport! I may join you in a doing a blog or 2 or 3!!!!

:D 8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
Why oh why did I not know that BSG has sale bags upstairs, goodness knows I spend enough time, and money, in there! The first I heard of it was K4Es blog.........now I'll have to wait I till next year!  :(

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
I'll tell you all about it Babs  ;)
And I'll make sure there's plenty left for you!
2 weeks tomorrow... 8) 8)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »
Son't keep rubbing it in Lizzie!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
Hi RosiB, have just spent an enjoyable 10 minutes reading all your reports. Thanks for taking the time to post . It must be the year of the Turtle as we also saw them this year for the first time.  :)

I'm beginning to think I'm not normal? Am I the only woman that goes to Kalkan and doesn't buy a handbag?

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »
Well Suzyq1 if it makes you feel any better I too didn't buy a Handbag last year (did the previous 2 years though)! Concentrated on bits for our new house in deepest darkest Hampshire last year :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:10:35 PM by loumason »
Lou :)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2015, 04:46:28 AM »
The weather over the last couple of days has been VERY hot and humid - the sort that drains all your energy - so we haven't done much at all. I'm sitting on the balcony at the moment and there's a bit of a breeze, so maybe today will feel a bit better.
On Wednesday, I was a bit like Old Mother Hubbard - all the cupboards were bare - so we went out to eat. We ended up going to Begonvil, where the sea bass baked in a foil parcel was great; I should be more adventurous I suppose, but I do love fish! That little street is so pretty now, with the lights strung across and music playing. We were going to wander for a while, but it was so hot and sticky that we decided a night time swim was a better option, so that's what we did. Yesterday we went to Kalkan Beach Park for the day and it felt much fresher by the sea - at least, it did to start with! We went quite early so managed to get sunbeds in a good position, but before long, it was pretty crowded. Mia managed - eventually! - to be brave enough to go down the slide but only after Bill showed her how NOT to do it, by getting stuck half way! She was also very excited to see turtles, only ever having seen them in a tank before. We had lunch there - the biggest fruit platter I've ever had! - but by then the day was just getting too hot, so by 2:30, we decided to go back via a stop at Migros to restock the larder and fridge. Shopping put away, it was straight into the pool to cool off! A quiet evening in, watching a DVD after dinner and we're ready for what ever comes next! We're halfway through our holiday now, and there's still so many things on our to do list that we haven't done; it's a good thing we didn't just come for two weeks!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
Great hearing your reports RosiB even if yesterday seemed rather a sticky hot day.   A good time to have all that lovely fresh fruit and be able to have a dip in sea or pool.

Susyq1 - I have NEVER purchased a bag in Kalkan, don't even take one with me.   I put all my "stuff" in an ancient canvas tote bag which can hold book, camera, torch at night, sunglasses, comb, someone else's book (you know who you are), sunlotion, coolspray etc etc.   To be honest I normally only use one handbag in UK - I do have another bag but the last time I used it I forgot to put very important things back in my normal handbag.   I don't know how ladies can keep changing their bags.

I realise I must be a real oddity for all you bag loving ladies who enjoy bag shopping in Kalkan.   I admire your perseverance in search of lovely bags.

Keep the reports coming, I envy your longer stay in Kalkan.   My next visit is only for 12 days and that will have to include discussion of any winter works to be done.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »
I don't enjoy the bag shopping either.  I did by a little cheap one on the market last time I was in Kalkan but that is it.

I too use only one handbag at home, changing when it starts to look tatty.  I have the smaller one to use when I go for a walk and only want to put purse, phone and keys in it.

Glad you are now having a nice time Rosi after to tummy upsets.  Continue to keep up informed as we are much enjoying reading your posts.

Jo

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
I'm with Tortoise Lady and Jo on the issue of bags. I too have NEVER bought a bag in Kalkan. I have a mini leather rucksack that I use day and evenings when I'm there. In the UK I use the same bag all the time, until it falls to bits, whereupon I buy another. I can't understand why anyone would want more than one bag, as it's such a faff changing all the contents over.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Almost Ready!

Started by macrefield mom on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:37:51 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Ready or Not..here I come - new resident

Started by Lynnecurtis on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
by Chucky
xx
Getting ready for the season

Started by alantj on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM
by alantj
thumbup
Getting ready for Kalkan

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

32 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pinara

Views: 3213
By: Alfaman
Pebble and Mr.Pebble