Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Buying a Car?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Buying a Car?
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
I would be interested in anybody''s experience in buying a car.  Personally, I enjoy the walk from my place in Kalamar Bay over to the harbour but my guests have not been, so I ended up paying nearly £1000 on car rental last year.  When I discussed this with a Turkish friend, he pointed out the downside: cars are also very expensive to buy in Turkey. 

I thought about buying one in Europe and driving it over but he indicated that like non-residents it has to be taken out of the country and re-enter every three months.  However, is this different for those applying for residency? 

Does anybody know what import duties apply to cars (second-hand; I would not want to take a new car to my place in Kalamar Bay until the roads improve)?

Many thanks

Mark

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1286.0
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
Re: Buying a Car?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »
A car bought in Turkey will cost you about 180% of what you would pay for the same car in the UK.  The only economical car to run is one powered with gas, not petrol.  A gas tank in the boot.

It is correct that if you bring a car from outside, you must take it out of Turkey every 3 months, and in theory, wait 3 more months before bringing it back in.

We are residents, we do own a car bought in Turkey.  It has MA plates, signifying a foreign owner.  This kind of car can be kept as long as your residence permit is valid and not a day longer.  And you must have a semi-annual or annual inspection depending on the car type.

You might consider leasing a small car or negotiating a long-term rental.  I know a couple who have this arrangement with Adda Tours.  They get their car when they come, keep if for several months, give it back when they leave.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline cinbar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
The law changed in Turkey last year you no longer have to be a resident to buy a car in Turkey, I purchased one last year with ME number plates all I needed was my passport.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
That may be true for ME plates but it''s not so clear concerning the old MA plates.  We''ve gotten different answers from different people.  Just 2 weeks ago we received a letter from the gov enquiring about my residence permit in relation to furniture imported in 2003.  However, they didn''t mention the car so perhaps, as you say, it is no longer necessary even for the cars purchased under the old laws.

Offline cinbar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
It is very true we went to several different showrooms  Honda, Ford , Nissan and Toyota before we made our choice and was told that residency was no longer required in all of the above mentioned garages . As I said just a passport which is fantastic. Hopefully one day you will no longer have to be a resident to ship furniture and have a residential landline in Turkey.
We have shipped to other Countries and have a landline and we are not residents, so who knows it could happen in Turkey in the future.

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »
Cosetta and Cinbar

Thanks for your information.  It has been very helpful.  I will enquire further during my stay next month.

Mark

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
buying a car

Started by kim21 on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 09:26:55 PM
by kim21
xx
Buying a TV

Started by alantj on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 09:50:16 PM
by alantj
xx
Buying a Carpet

Started by gardengirl on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 01:19:33 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Buying a hammock

Started by baklavabuddy on Living In Kalkan

7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 08:00:46 AM
by baklavabuddy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour

Views: 3937
By: irfan
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal