Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Nationwide Flex Account  (Read 7383 times)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Nationwide Flex Account
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »
I know that lots of you have one of these that you use whilst on holiday in Kalakn & I am thinking of opening one but have two questions for you:

1. Do you get a good rate of exchange?

2. Has anyone used one in the USA and do they work there (am thinking specifically of California & West Coast).

I did ask the latter question in Nationwide this morning but didn''t get a satisfactory answer & can''t face the inevitable hold/pushbuttons that''ll happen if I phone.

Thanks in advance!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1282.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Nationwide Flex Account
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »
can''t answer about the USA.But we have used our flex account for Kalkan Holidays for a few years now.The exchange rate we got last year was as good if not better than many of the shops were giving!!We take enough turkish currency with us for a day or two,and use the account to draw money we have paid in. There are enough ATM''s and we have never had a problem getting money out...much the same as my mrs never has a problem spending it!! ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Davs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
Hi Sally
I have one of these accounts and whilst I have never used it in the USA, I  have used it to withdraw cash on a number of occasions both in Turkey last year and during a very recent city break in Krakow, Poland.

The rate of exchange has been consistently good every time and unless the terms and conditions radically change, I have no intention of using an alternative such as travellers cheques again. This seems to be a cheaper means of obtaining your cash abroad with the bonus of being a safer option too.

Offline doug46b

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
I use my Flex Card everywhere be it USA Africa Far East or at home in Kalkan .It is really the best. You do have  a limit of £300 per day but in Kalkan who needs that!!
 :) :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
I believe I''m correct in saying that, with the Flex account VISA card, you get the VISA bulk rate and not the ordinary tourist exchange rate. In my experience this always equates to a slightly better rate.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »
Many thanks to al lof you for your replies - off to set up an account tomorrow!
Sally x

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »
Sally, the sooner you start the process of opening a flex account the better. It takes ages to open a new bank account these days with all the regulations they have put in place to counteract money laundering. Some banks even require your passport - not a copy and it can take a few weeks to get everything sorted so it''s best to check in advance if you''re travelling sooner rather than later.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
I am interested in opening one of these accounts and I had a look on the website. Does the flex account differ to what the Nationwide credit card offers?

Offline Davs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »
Hi Jayne,

The flex account is, in essence, a current account. I operate a current account elsewhere but deposit cash into the flex account before I travel abroad.

I then use the Nationwide visa debit card which comes with the account to withdraw cash from the foreign bank ATM. In the case of Turkey this will usually be in YTL or there is an option to withdraw in Euro if you wish.

Nationwide do not apply any charges for this facility which is why it is so popular. If a certain amount is deposited monthly into this account, they pay some interest too (current minimum £1000 @3.75%)

Regards

David

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Nationwide Flex Account

Started by doug46b on Money & Finance

21 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 01:21:13 PM
by helen1
xx
Nationwide Flex Account

Started by FrancisDonald on Money & Finance

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 11:08:57 PM
by PACHSU
xx
nationwide flex account

Started by julieport on Money & Finance

9 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 01:39:24 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
nationwide flex account or sterling?

Started by lornaboon on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 08:48:13 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal