Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Three Hundred 10 lira notes!  (Read 10313 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Three Hundred 10 lira notes!
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
With the last of my pre-holiday business flights behind me, well psyched up by the recent reports from Babs & Rachey (let alone the imminent take off of BL, Tortoise Lady, K4E and more), it was time to spend a weekend of preparation for Kalkan 2015, in glorious anticipation.
Diving into an outlet somewhere off the A650 near Bradford, NEXT came up trumps first. The perfect colourful shirts, right inside the door, were on the NEXT card 3 minutes after my entering the shop.
Well made up with that purchase, I was happier still to see the Jack Jones CORE shorts staring at me in TK Maxx next door – AND then, they had my size!  So on trend (last season) they had to be mine. Not quite so tight as to give away my religion, but groin huggingly comfortable just the same.  With a box of Jeff Banks underwear in the basket as well, I was on a roll….
And then to my delight, the ultra-lightweight cocktail shaker I had been spying for some time was further discounted to south of ten quid – perfect for the villa, in case there wasn’t one. I just love TK Maxx!
(No luck finding a summery backpack cool bag, as requested by Mrs A, but Google helped us with that purchase later and hopefully, will arrive by post from Berlin some hours before Jet 2 takes off from Leeds).
Ah yes, the holiday currency to start us off. Pre-ordered from Sainsbury’s, I dipped into the store just before they closed to be greeted at Travel Money by a smiling assistant, asking had I read her email. No, I hadn’t, maybe it was in spam, but what’s the problem? The bank had sent only 10 lira notes and was it an issue for me?  300 of them. There on the desk was this stack of crisp, new notes several inches high. My immediate reaction was, did she seriously think I would want to check that?!  Well, there were several options and I opted to keep them and the counting machine re-confirmed they were all there a few seconds later. If only my pocket was large enough.
Mrs A says we have more beach towels than we can poke a stick at, so I’m not to buy any more. But good ol’ TK Maxx have a range of brightly coloured BOSS towels, big enough (for me) to roll up in, going for a song at seven quid. It would almost be rude not to?  Maybe something for next weekend – if I keep it quiet.
Happy Monday!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12785.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: Three Hundred 10 lira notes!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
Ooh not long to go now  :o the anticipation and  run up to the holiday is almost as much fun as the holiday itself. I get a perverse pleasure from the butterflies and stress that builds and builds until I'm nearly gagging on ny toothbrush the morning of the flight.  I think I've got butterflies by proxy for you!  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
Yep..good old next! nice pair of denim shorts(Deneeem if your posh) from there but a little to big(between sizes!) so the tailors in Kalkan it will be the day after we arrive you ....funny how  you know your on the way downhill when River island things don't fit and look like they are for twig people..I have next holiday pants too wouldn't want to the let team GB down by hanging out my old kecks on the line!!.(mind you burglars might think I'm skint if I did >:D)
Well at least with a wad of 300 10L notes it will look like you are a man of means!! ;D   maybe run into you again ? ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:10:30 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
Brilliant post, so looking forward to more. Enjoy the build up it's fab. Can't wait for more tales from Kalkan. Only 5 weeks for us now. Yippee! :D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Thanks, Jane!

Mrs A and I were sat in the conservatory last evening, both on laptops - as you do! - and suddenly the sound from this youtube clip came put into the room; both of us dreaming of where we would be staying and thinking the same...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPVF56kbqg

Cheers

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Only you could make a trip to the shops sound like Keats...pure poetry!
We are TK Maxx fans too.....love that place for deals. But you gotta root - that's the motto. If you can't root, don't go there. I have the all seeing eye and the faster than light hand speed that you need to get through their endless rails. Oh and Clearance....? Now you're talking.
Looking forward to catching up with you and all the Antlers later this month. BL, I'll be looking out for the deneeem shorts, although if I spot a whiff of double deneeem, I may just walk on by....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:46:56 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
I thank you all for brightening up what has been a horrible day back to work after half term! Please keep the pre holiday posts coming and of course your holiday blogs! Fab!  :D :D :D

J

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
When we went to the Caribbean in January I'd asked the bank to get me some US$ and asked for some of them to be in small denominations for tips. When I went to pick the money up the day before we travelled the whole lot was in brand new $1 bills. It was too late to go anywhere else.

I was sure that customs would pull us over thinking we were carrying a fortune in dollars. It was hilarious paying bills when we were there all in $1 bills with comments such as 'well we wont be short of change today will we'. It filled the safe.

Have a great time in Kalkan Antler.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
You sound as if you are getting properly organised for your holiday Antler.   The anticipation is indeed a large part of a holiday.   What to take, where to go, where and what to eat.

I hope I find time to buy new shorts - some may look wonderful on tall willowy ladies but no tortoise ever came into that category.  Just hoping I still fit the bathing costume I left in Kalkan last September.   I will probably only swim in the privacy of the pool so maybe it will be OK......

I look forward to your blog Antler and what you will be cooking and where you will be eating.    I believe you have Kazim coming to cook for you and the family on Father's Day just after you get to Kalkan.   That should be wonderful.   We haven't yet got round to booking him.

You arrive just after we leave so we won't see you in Kalkan but have a wonderful time with your family

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
Thank you, Tortoise Lady!

Yes, we are so lucky to have booked Kazim such a long time ago - a real Father's Day treat!

I have some old and some new recipes to try this time, including the Israeli Breakfast of Kings!  Oh, how I enjoy a good Shakshuka late morning!!

Have a lovely time - and don't worry over your shorts! :-)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:38:54 PM »
It promises to be a magical Father's Day in Kalkan for you this year, Antler :) Let's hope the Scouser and the Taffy don't ruin things for you.... ;)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »
I am sure it won't be ruined, K4E - only enhanced by a Scouser & a Taff, lol!

Have a safe journey this weekend and we shall be watching out for your report back!

All the best.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
And last Sunday's online purchase arrived on Thursday:  bought from Amazon, order acknowledged from an email address in Poland, written in German, dispatched by DHL from Berlin. 4 days later arrived in Scunthorpe!

Perfect for the bottles of pop watching sunset on Patara?

A cool coolbag?!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »
I love it.......a post about shopping started by a man! well done Antler! :laugh:
My OH is one of those irritating men who say" I need to lose a few pounds" and then a few weeks later is slim! So new trousers were needed. He found two,pairs of slim cut trousers in Gap......a shop not isusally frequented by men of his great age obviously. When paying the assistant asked if he wanted a gift receipt!
Have a great holiday Antler......really looking forward to your lyricalpsts.......and yours J4E and BL......getting excited for you all! :laugh:

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
Better pack a few pairs of the bigger trousers Babs for the end of his Kalkan eating holiday.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
It's the Buyer in me, Babs, after 40 hours a week of doing it, I just can't stop at the weekend - and TK Maxx offers such incredible value for money  (but Home Bargains are cheaper for Garnier and Piz Buin SPF30!)

Value For Money = Just what a Buyer needs!!

A week next Friday....bring it on!

:-)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
Shame the VAT ended up in Luxembourg!

Men shop prudently - decide what they want and buy it.  No trolling around endless shops looking at the same thing time and time again...

The proximity of a glass of something near the keyboard just makes it a more attractive form of retail therapy...
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »
Loving the cool coolbag....!!
All packed, cases in the hall....almost sick with excitment  ;)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
Well, that was it. The last weekend in the UK for a while....

A quick trip to Bristol to check the folks were OK, then the next 3 weekends are to be in Kalkan; how good is that?!

Oli came up trumps with an early Fathers Day present, knowing luggage weight could be an issue - and acknowledging my recent leap of faith into cyber music. (What can I stream for you?!)

This should be perfect for me to strut my stuff as we cook the Kofte on the roof terrace BBQ of Yellow Villa.

See you there, shortly....

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »
Hi Antler
Guessing you are off on Friday so just wishing you a safe journey and a fantastic holiday.
Kind of hoping you can set up a little business on the beach and sell double chocolate cake from your cool bag?  :)

Looking forward to your posts.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old notes and coins

Started by sidari on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 01:00:46 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
scottish notes

Started by anne41 on Money & Finance

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 05:54:45 PM
by itstime
xx
Notes and coins

Started by sidari on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 08:42:52 PM
by sidari
xx
Scottish bank notes

Started by Enişte on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 07:33:13 PM
by yardan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Cute Kalkan Dog

Views: 4767
By: janeywhit
Kalkan Day