Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And relax.....  (Read 15348 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
And relax.....
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
A quick update - day three of our holiday. One of the many, many things I love about Kalkan is that as soon as we arrive all the stress and worry from our busy working lives melts away immediately. No need to gradually wind down...as soon as we glimpse that view from the D400 we are totally chilled. There is some magic in the Kalkan air.
We're in our Kalkan routine, starting each evening with an Efes (or two) at Yali Bar. Çimırık has been very busy over the winter and the loos are all redone and so much better than before. Our first night is always at Gourmet. We've known Şakir  since our very first evening here 11 years ago when he was chef at Coast when it was where Kalamaki now is.  Fantastic evening - Halil is back after a year away from Kalkan, so with him, Ibrahim and Hasan they really have a dream team. We also got to meet Şakir's new baby boy Mirza Ali. Reyhan brought him along for us to meet - he was fast asleep but so cute.
Yesterday was cloudy at first so we meandered into the village and picked up a couple of watches from Oscar's. He has tons of new and tempting stock. We had lunch at Seaport which was very good. Last night we went to Avalon, owned by the Salt and Pepper guys. Ibrahim such a lovely guy and the food excellent - garlic bread and a cheese borek complementary pre starter. Then veg borek and hunter borek, followed by steak for OH and sea bass for me.  They're hoping to reopen Salt and Pepper in 10 days or so - getting the place ready as soon as the retaining wall is completed and they're given the go ahead.
This morning it's glorious sunshine. Again.

It's a hard life....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12770.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: And relax.....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
Glad you arrived safely Rachey and are well and truly in Kalkan relaxation mode. I know exactly what you mean by that feeling as you glimpse the view from the D400.

I'm really looking forward to Gourmet too this year, I can't believe we never made it there last year. Hope they still have "who let the chickens out" on the menu. All our youngest wanted was a choclolate avalanche at Gourmet and we promised we would go, but somehow the days ran away with us. Definitely on our to do list this year.

I love how easy it is to settle into a Kalkan routine too. Both OH and myself were only just talking and planning what we are going to do this year and we still have 79 days to go!

Have a lovely holiday and good news about S&P. There is a report on KTLN this morning too about work on the retaining wall. It's sounding promising.  :)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
Happy to confirm 'who let the chickens out' is still on the menu!  We'll wander down to the harbour soon, we're going to have a drink with Ali on Zeus.  Booked to go on the boat trip with him next week. Magical day always.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
Thanks Rachey, that's fab - my mouth is watering in anticipation!

Enjoy your drink with Ali.  :-* :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
Glad your in your Kalkan routine Rachey, know exactly what you mean. Such a lovely feeling isn't it? Enjoy your holiday, sounds fab already! Thanks for posting.  :D

J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Hello Rachey, sooooohhh wish we were there with you.
Keep the place tidy for us, won't you? Look forward to hearing more about your stay as time goes on, thanks for posting. I think folk would appreciate the wonderful food pics on here too...
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
ooh yes, I often say, wish it was as easy as facebook or whatsapp to add photos!  ;)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
Not a clue how to upload pics using my iPad....beyond my very limited tech knowledge. It was - as others here and on the forum have posted - blowing a hoolie earlier. A large umbrella from the apartment above us was wrenched from its concrete base - the thick metal pole sheared and twisted. It landed on our balcony with a huge thump - thought the place was collapsing!  All is calm now - still and warm and quite humid.
Had a wonderful meal at Smyrna last night - next door to Belgins Kitchen and run by Rami.  He's such a lovely man.  His brother in law Mustafa is looking after guests upstairs and Rami on the door.  Delicious Turkish food very reasonably priced. The tavuk kavurma was especially delicious!
About to get ready to head to Yali Bar for our pre dinner libation...where to dine tonight...choices...choices.  Love it ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
I've posted some help on pictures under the title "Posting Pictures" that may be useful.

It's a bit involved, because you have to upload the pictures somewhere else and then put the address in.  The forum doesn't host pictures, it appears.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
And then there was me...with our other far more eloquent bloggers now back home (loved your blogs), I'll try and post until someone else takes up the baton!
Yesterday it was cloudy and rained most of the day - more like early May weather.  But it wasn't cold.  Perfect day for relaxing and reading and relaxing.  The garden looks fresh, the Pomegranate tree in flower, but not as many as last year.  I hope there'll lots of fruit for us to pick when we're back in October. 
Town is very busy one night, then quiet the next, no rhyme or reason to it that I can gather.  Lots and lots of families over for half term - more than I can remember seeing before.  The rain eased up around 18:30, so off we went to Yali Bar to get a seat before the FA cup began.  Wandering down we noticed that, again, Moonlight was nowhere near as busy as it's been on every previous visit.  Not a bar we go to, but with the sadness they've had over the winter I hope all is good with them.  It's better now that Mojito bar is no more so no thumping loud music or search beams for them to compete with, just Utopia as ever. 
Went to Iso's Kitchen last night - we felt it had lost its sparkle a bit.  Lovely meal, but something lacking. 
Today there's been cloud, but wall to wall sun since lunchtime and really quite warm.  Lots of floating in the pool to cool down my Scottish skin!  The clouds are hanging over the mountains again...hoping they'll fade away.
Last night around 10pm there was much hooting of car horns and fireworks going off at the roundabout by the taxi rank.  This was the Galatasary fans celebrating their league win.  The long faces were the Fenerbahce supporters.  Great fun to see.  The cats and dogs seemed ok and not phased by all the bangs. 
Looking forward to the food festival on Wednesday...hopefully the wall will be finished and the area tidied up.  It's a solid job they're doing.  But I can't imagine we'll be dining at Salt and Pepper this visit, although Ibrahim was hoping to open later this week.  Mind you, we all know how amazingly quickly the Kalkan folk can turn things around...
Will try and post again in a day or so....

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
Glad the sun is bck for you Rachey......let's hope those clouds stay over the mountains!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about the Food Festival on Wednesday, Rachey....!

Enjoy every moment of the sunshine -  I think we struggled to get above 13C here today....

Cheers,  and thanks for posting!

Antler

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10:52 AM »
Hey Rachey, thanks for keeping up the blog...its all on you - no pressure :-*
Lets hope the harbour work is completed in time for the Festival on Wednesday and in time for Salt and Pepper to open before you go home. Sometimes the bars are quiet and then the next day busy, and you're right there's no real pattern to it - in Moonlight if its quiet, Muhitidin will tell you it a changeover day :)....even if its not! I don't want to be happy that a business has closed but I wont mourn the loss of Mojito....the laser lights and very LOUD music were at odds with the rest of Kalkan. The other bars felt they needed to crank up the volume to compete which isn't good for anyone.
They sure love their football in Turkey...!
Look forward to hearing from you again, enjoy the rest of your stay and fingers crossed the clouds jog on.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Yes thanks so much rachey for the continuing reports, I'm really enjoying reading about your holiday and kalkan updates. We never ventured to mojito bar in any of our visits so it's no loss to us either.
Hope the weather keeps fine for you and look forward to your next instalment.  :)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 10:18:24 AM »
More great reports. Thank you so much.  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
We were there a couple of years ago when Galatasary won the league, the celebrations were wild all over the town, hanging out car windows and flags etc, great fun. Gave them a burst of "Blue Army" like you do. ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
Thanks Rachey, hope the sun is shining for you today, and look forward to hearing about the Food Festival, wish we were there to see it  :D :D :D

J

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
Love hearing about Kalkan.Thankyou. We're sat on our narrow boat on the Trent and Mersey June 1st and it's blowing a gale. We have put an extra rope on but to no avail
. Have booked our Kalkan holiday for2016 just waiting for the flights. So all you lucky people think of me bouncing up and down on the cut. Liverpool here we com.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
A very quick update as we've done very little other than relax!  Yesterday was very warm, Hasim at Yali told us it hit 30 degrees and I can believe it.  Town was very quiet last night - very few folk around and all the restaurants struggling to fill more than two or three tables. Quietest night since we've been here.  We went to Belgin's Kitchen and it was lovely as always.  The three ladies who cook were chatting away - good simple home cooking of the highest quality. Two courses and an Efes each was £12 each. Incredible.
Today it is hot. Blue sky and not a cloud in sight. Did I mention it's hot?  I can't imagine the heat of July and August, I'd melt. 
Ramadan is about to begin and my thoughts are with all my Muslim friends who will be fasting - and not even drinking water from sunrise to sunset.  Hard enough for my Musim pals in Scotland, but here, in this heat?  Amazing. So I'll be wishing them all Ramadan Mubarak when it begins. 

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »
Thank you Rachey for continuing to keep us up to date.   Happy for you that the weather is improving.   

It is good to have reviews of the restaurants.   I am trying not to compile my usual list of where to go to eat because it never quite works out like that.   Anyone else who starts with a plan and then it all changes when you actually get to Kalkan?   Old favourites have to be visited but then it is good to try new places, so much choice!   It is a long time since we went to Belgin's kitchen so time for another visit there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
......and relax! Day 1

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2013, 11:43:42 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
......and relax Day 2

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Relax Shmelax . . . our holiday report!

Started by Baggy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 01:47:14 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Happy Days

Views: 2822
By: LancashireLass
Capadocia