Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And relax.....  (Read 15461 times)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: And relax.....
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
Interesting to note that Ramadan does not exclude drinking during the day - in fact it, the Qu'ran specifically states that abstinence can be excused for health reasons.

Similarly, those doing physical work, and need to eat to maintain energy, are also allowed to eat.

The impression of otherwise, is down to the teachings.

At least this is what I was told by my Muslim friends!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »
Isn't that true of all faiths...? Its down to interpretation and teaching.
Where in the Bible does it say not to eat meat on a Friday or if you say four hail mary's your sin will be forgiven? That is still common pratice in UK.

Back to Rachey's blog. We have often looked at Belgin's menu but never been in becuase I'm not sure I would enjoy eating my food on a cushion on the floor - and by that I mean I would probably spill it all over me. Let alone the trauma of trying to get up once I'm down there :o Do they have tables or is it all ottaman style?
We are determined to try new (for us) places this year. The weather sounds amazing although the forecast doesn't look too clever on EK :( Quite a few friends arriving this week, so perhaps it will pick up in the village. A lot of people do like to leave it until after half term, particularly if their children are grown up and they are not tied to certain holidays...no..? just us?
In terms of sleeps, just 5 for us now...well 4.5 as we are going to a wedding this weekend. I want the next few days to fly by....but I know you won't, Rachey :( Looking forward to heaing about the Food Festival tomorrow.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
Belgin has tables as well as Ottoman seating on the roof terrace I believe.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 04:50:52 PM »
Definitely tables at a higher level but sitting on cushions is all part of the fun and most are set up with something to lean back on so quite comfortable......just don't wear heels and a tight/short dress!  ;D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »

Hey, Rachey, as you can hear, we are loving these updates and waiting for the feedback on Weds nights' festival?!

I know I am sad, but I am not sure where Belgin's Kitchen is? Is it on that road that leads from Sofra, along towards Villa Kismet?

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
It's just off the main street in the old town. You walk down to where there's a little 'amphitheatre' on your right and Just Silver on the left. You turn right to go directly down to the harbour. It's on the left on the corner as you walk down. My daughter, son in law and grandson love the atmosphere there. They like to have a pre dinner drink on Ottoman seating on the roof terrace and then move onto a table to eat.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »
I think you are referring to Iso's Kitchen, Antler  :-*

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
Oh yes, so I am, K4E!

Kalkan regular - yes, I've got it. We ate in the restaurant next door, up the hill, and I remember looking slightly down onto their roof terrace and this amazing seating area, which looked very chilled....

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »
Yes, Belgin's does have tables too.  But if I can manage not to spill stuff all over me when sitting on the cushions, I reckon anyone can!  I always wear shorts or trousers when we dine there as I am far from elegant plonking myself down and even worse hauling myself back to my feet!
Last night we went back to Ramis new place Smyrna, which is next door to Belgin's.  Another wonderful meal - two courses, bottle of rose,  and a complementary pudding of creme caramel, ice cream and fruit all for £21 each. OH loved his fillet steak and I had a delicious grilled chicken. So good.  As we were dining the near-full moon started to peek out from behind the mountains.  All the diners put knife and forks down and starting snapping away with iphones!  It was a warm, still evening.  As the sun set the sky turned that amazing deep peach fading to lilac then deepest purple...and then the pure midnight blue.  Venus and Saturn twinkling away.  Magical.
This morning a huge back of heavy clouds is threatening to roll down the mountains, it's almost touching Kordere ( if that's the right name, the highest houses above the D400).  Cooler today, so only 23/24. Perfect for the food festival which we'll wander down to in a bit. Blue skies over Kisla and kizitlas so all is good.
K4E, much as I am happy that you'll soon be here, I want the days to lengthen and last cos that means we'll be heading home and counting down the next 3 1/2 months until we come back! 
Will post about the food festival later today or tomorrow morning. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:19:07 AM by Rachey »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Rachey, your holiday sounds truly fabulous.  Just found myself smiling as I am reading your post, and getting a few strange looks through my office window! Looking forward to hearing about the Food Festival, wish we were there!!  :) :)

J

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Smyrna sounds lovely and reasonable too. I'll bear that in mind. There seems to be so many new places to visit this year so hope we manage to check a few out.

That sunset sounded amazing, I can't wait be be back to see it for myself again. Really looking forward to hearing about the food festival too.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
LOVED your photos on FB of the moon rising - absolutley amazing! What a special moment for everyone who saw it for real - where your pics taken with an iphone? They were so beautiful.
I have real food envy...your choices appear to have all been good ones this trip. The meals have sounded delicious and perfect and I sooooohhh want to be there. I'm like a child waiting for Christmas just now.
Thank you for keeping us updated, your days are so relaxed and chilled and your evenings filled with good food and wine - my perfect Kalkan.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the lovely comments.  I avidly read all the blogs when I'm home, so trying to pay back a bit with my witterings!  K4E, the moon shots were taken on OH's posh Nikon.  My iPhone couldn't capture it well enough.  Hoping for a clear night as it should be full moon tonight.  We're going to Avalon seeing as Salt and Pepper isn't able to open yet.  Should get some fab pics from their terrace.

So, the food festival.  Today was overcast but muggy and very warm.  We were thankful for the cloud cover as it would have been unbearable in full sun. (skies are blue again now, with just a few clouds behind the mountain). We meandered down about 11:30 ish.  Loud sound system playing Turkish tunes and an enthusiastic announcer keeping everyone informed in Turkish and English.  Well, he tried to keep everyone informed, but it was rather chaotic and disorganised.  Great fun though.  Lots of food stalls with all manner of food to try from lots of meze, to whole roast lamb - very popular!  The chef from Cafe Vita had intricately carved a watermelon to look like a flower.  There were several dancing groups.  The first four young lasses and two young lads in traditional garb did a rather sweet sedate dance.  Then a group of young kids came out.  Girls in peach ballerina length tulle dresses and boys in smart blue trousers and white shirts.  They did a couple of dances.  I think they were only supposed to do one, but their mothers insisted that they did two.  Stage moms the same the world over. Bursting with pride.  Quite right too.  Then an adult troupe of 8 or so men and same number women.  I think they were from Fethiye but not sure.  The men were dressed as Ottoman pirates and looked tremendous.  Girls in beautiful harem trousers. Stunning.  They danced a story which, as far as I could tell ran thus: magnificent pirate men full of bravado and courage,  showing off to the women and each other how fabulous and manly they were; girls all quite taken with these macho men; one girl in particular likes one pirate with a rather fabulous (false) moustache; they fall in love and he gives her his dagger as a token of his affection.  The girls dance, I assume the Pirates go away.  Then, oh no, another pirate  hits on the heroine, and worse still, her beloved sees this and thinks she's returning the bounder's affection!  She pleads with him, offers his dagger back to him but he rejects her, and forgives his brother, as pirate brothers are brothers forever.  Heartbroken...get the tissues ready...our tragic heroine stabs herself to death with her lover's dagger.  He sees, but is too late to stop her.  Weeping he picks her up and carries her lifeless body away. 
It was brilliant and quite moving.  The dancing was gorgeous.
After that it all lost its way a bit.  The food judging took ages as the jury were presented with each chef's dishes.  They must have been bursting at the seams by the time they'd tasted everything!  I was surprised it wasn't a blind tasting to ensure no bias or favouritism, but as I said, it was chaotic.  The worthy winners were 1st Coriander (chef who was at Ilyada last year also won last year), 2nd Paprika and 3rd Alternatif.
After the medals were handed out we wandered up to Foto Pizza for a cooling Efes at about 3pm.  Once we got home it was straight into swimmers and into the pool for a refreshing swim.
We loved the festival, and if you can ever go along to it, do go.  More Turkish than tourists wandering about, and visitors from Kas and Fethiye too.  Despite my event managing hat getting twitchy ( as there was no event management, for examples, no rubbish bins or bags etc) it was thoroughly enjoyable and a great atmosphere. 
Tomorrow, out on Zeus with Ali, weather permitting!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
Great to hear about the Food Festival - sorry not to have been there.    Maybe another year ..............

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Thanks Rachey I've been waiting with bated breath for that food festival post and what a fab one it was too. You really captured the essence of Kalkan and I felt like I was there too. That pirate story was brilliant.
Definitely have to try coriander now!  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
Well that was the post of all posts Rachey, thank you so much, enjoyed reading every word.  Sounds like a fabulous day, hopefully one day, we will be in Kalkan to go to the Food Festival too in June.  Enjoy the rest of your holiday.  :) :D

J

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »
Oh, wow, Rachey, what a treat!!!  Amazing. I was like, on a stage of Shakespeare, and then the line: "After that it all lost its way a bit.." and I was brought down to reality once more....

Thank you so much!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and enjoy even more fantastic photo shots.

All the the best!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I've no idea if my interpretation was accurate, but it did remind me of Romeo and Juliet...

One thing I meant to mention - Mojito is back up and running...so far not so loud.  We had a fab night at Avalon chatting to couples either side of us and comparing notes...we've all been coming here for years.
We talked about our favourite restaurants and although we had some similar favourites, there were some we didn't agree on.   Not that we thought any were bad, just personal preferences.  We all agreed that's a good thing!  Lovely company on a lovely evening. 
The moon didn't rise until quite late on, so no photos tonight.  Mind you, we were all too busy chatting!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »
Then old festival sounds fab! We were hoping it would have been on while we were there......mind you probably just as well as knowing us we would have done even more damage to our waistlines!!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
I notice the festival was held down the other end of the harbour near Pirat...I take it the work continues at the beach end?

The event manager thing made me smile, dont think I've enjoyed an event for about 20 years for the same reason....gave me palpitations just looking at the photos. But hey, that's Turkey - there's no real H&S with building works, so an event is way down the pecking order. The story was rather beautiful...and sad. But if you give someone a dagger as a gift what can you expect..?
Is Avalon where Escudo used to be...? Trying to work it out. That's what I love abut Kalkan, getting chatting to people on the next table and listening to their Kalkan and comparing it to our Kalkan...good times indeed.

Looking forward to reading your next post, thanks for keeping us up to date

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
......and relax Day 2

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
......and relax! Day 1

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2013, 11:43:42 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Relax Shmelax . . . our holiday report!

Started by Baggy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 01:47:14 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Yildiz 1.JPG

Views: 3024
By: Lindy
Kalkan harbour