Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Well We Are Here  (Read 21955 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Well We Are Here
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
Great reports, keep them coming cheers up my day. Been fortunate enough to visit Kalkan twelve times since 2008. Hoped to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary there this year but as yet haven't booked. Unfortunately my Mum who just celebrated her 92nd birthday's health seems to be failing slightly so of course am apprehensive about booking. Please everyone keep up the reports so at least for the moment we can enjoy everyone else's fantastic experience of in my opinion the most wonderful place to spend precious time..

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
Oh clara 50, what a terrible dilemma for you - understand your reluctance to commit to anything too far away.

Chris-S - to be honest I dont think there is anything on a par with what Merkez offered in terms of food. Cheap and cheerful with a big range of choice of an evening. Fener had a similar extensive menu offering with very reasonable prices - and the food was lovely. Not sure with all the changes if that's still happening. Foto's is a good post boat stop for us although for the past few years we've picked up a hot chicken from the deli and stayed home...getting on you see ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
We had lunch at Fener and the menu and food seemed the same as usual. We both had pasta and it was excellent. I think people feel it's not the same as the Turkish seating has gone and some of the staff have changed.

Offline mitch

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
As an alternative to Merkez for food I would definitely recommend Cafe Leon- varied menu with lots of light, snack type options. They also do a range of great homemade cakes. Great chilled out atmosphere and always playing good music in the background.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
Although not quite as chic, Cafe Orange across from Merkez does a good range of snacks on its pavement terrace. Also, Cafe Leon, which offers cool leafy shade down by the mosque on a hot afternoon, offers snacks, kids meals and home-style Turkish cooking by the lovely Hamide.

I had the penne arabiatta at Fener last week - which was always one of my favourites. I may be mistaken, but the sauce looked and tasted like it had come from a jar, and instead of the usual Parmesan accompaniment, it had some tasteless grated yellow cheese on top. Sadly, service was poor at Fener too - half a dozen young lads all clustered round the bar area - laughing, shooting the breeze with the till girl and checking their mobile phones. I had to keep getting up ask for my drinks and bill. I'd like to see them do well again but they are not really helping themselves.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:09 PM »
Great minds think alike Mitch! Our posts crossed.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
Yes Fener is not the same.Suleyman and the other guy have left and left a bunch of youngsters in charge.The food is ok but not great.The only redeeming factor has to be the view,whilst eating and drinking.

My no. 1 choice for lunch has to be cafΓ© vita,on the kalamar road.Home made burgers and world famous chips,omlettes etc and really good quality.

Only downside is the view is not so good and without a car is a little further to access......superb though

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
Chris_S, I know you were looking for evening options similar to Merkez but dont forget you dont have to replicate Merkez for lunch as it is still offering its full menu (I understand) up until 6pm.
Yes love Cafe Leon, but mostly for tea and cake for me - which are DIVINE!
We will give Fener a go as its one of our Kalkan favourites...please tell me the ice cream is till there!

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
Have to say a fantastic burger (with all the trimmings) or a fantastic pizza for lunch (plus complimentary breads and dips) in Aubergine for 19.50 lira is hard to beat.  Such a beautiful place to sit and watch the world go by.  Usually love Fener but Aubergine definitely was our fav for lunch this year. Unbelievable value.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »
Will definitely be giving the burger a try at Aubergine Charlie, thank you for the burger lunch tip! happens to be a definite favourite of mine! 19.50TL seems a real bargain with a beautiful harbour setting.  Only had drinks in Aubergine up until now.

Does anyone know if Vanilla Bistro is open, we heard really good reports about it and wanted to try it at Easter, but sadly it was closed with the curtains drawn across the doors!

J

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
Walked past Vanilla two nights ago and it was open.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
Yesterday was market day. I think because of the current exchange rate the stallholders have taken the opportunity to hike their prices. 2 shirts last year were 50tl yesterday we were asked for 120tl. We walked away from that. Eventually paid 70tl.

We have eaten a couple of times in Rose enjoying the football with Hakim last night as were the only ones in until 9.30. I think they had packed up for the night and had to get it all back out again.

Ate at Fez two nights ago and had the best vegetarian meal so far this holiday. The call it Gormet Garden Burger, but they were vegetable patties. Very tasty. A little chilly on the terrace but very pleasant evening.

Still missing Merkez not serving food in the evening but used to stop in for drinks as well, so can still do that.

Weather still great.

Jo

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Chillies is our lunchtime choice, because it's only a short walk, and Ewan and Mr Happy would kill us if we walked past too often!

Cafe Vita is too much of a walk, especially with one customer carrying loads of Stainless Steel in the leg!

Fener we never had a good meal - lovely view, appalling service and an Avocado salad that could break your teeth as it was so unripe!

Leon and Orange may be looking the best bets so far, but keep the suggestions coming - I suspect that Merkez may have made a more than small blunder with the evening strategy.  Or may be an opportunity for some entrepreneur to fill the gap?

Just trying to stay away from Burgers, Pizzas, etc is the goal - I have to maintain my racing snake physique somehow (I wish) with Kalkan's temptations.

Somehow I suspect this one could run and run... 8)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
Just saying, but Ewan at Chillies is actually spelled Guven (with 2 dots over the u that I can't put on due to this Yankee keyboard!!!)

;D :) ;) :D :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
Merkez could still change back to food after 6pm, Chris_S, who knows...? We ate in Han one night last year and that has a more traditional Turkish menu than Merkez but still very reasonable. Merkez was just great if you didnt want to think too hard about what to eat and you knew the service would be fast and courteous and the food nice quality. One year our girls, who were in the late teens/early 20's, ate there almost every night as they preferred it over other places we wanted to go to. C'est la vie :)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
You beat me to it k4e I ws also going to mention Han, only eaten there couple of times but very pleasant and cheap with excellent friendly service and a very extensive menu, also good for lunch

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
Vanilla Bistro is closed on Mondays ..When i was there last month they told me they will close on Mondays to re energize for the week.. food is lovely  :)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 07:59:47 AM »
The Han is just in front of my apartment, and I pass through the terrace most days. It has recently had a makeover and Suleyman announced a few days ago that it has now been re-branded as 'La Pazz - Bistro Cafe Bar'.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
Noted Lizilu, I spelt it as he showed us it was spelt!  I suspect he was anglicizing it to be helpful!

As for the ΓΌ character (the two dots are umlaut in German or diaeresis in Latin), if you have Windows, you can find them all in CharacterMap (charmap.exe), or alternatively hold the Alt key down and put in 0252 with the numeric keys, then release Alt.

If you're on a tablet, I have no idea, and if you;re on an A**le, I have even less idea - they are supposed to be so-o-o-o-o easy to use, I'm told....

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
and while we're on subject, Mr Happy is spelt Ufuk.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kalkan

Views: 4351
By: irfan
My dream place