Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: IN SEASON UPDATES.  (Read 43251 times)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: IN SEASON UPDATES.
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »
Yes kalkanregular but that wicked person has been encouraged by those on this form and Other forums who bleat on constantly about Kalkan's street animals and the damage they do to the tourism industry in Kalkan.  They may not have laid poison but they may have planted a seed in the perpetrators mind. My point was why raise the subject of cats and dogs at such a sensitive time.  Those who are worried about their rental income may just see it nose dive a little more.  Nothing worse than seeing dead animals lying on a street, good for tourism, yeah right!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 10:54:28 PM »
Couldn't agree more. People moan about dogs  constantly and someone acts in a cowardly evil fashion to try to remove them. Word has got round regarding the two attacks this week and will absolutely do more damage to tourism than any barking.  I feel sick to my stomach that in a couple of weeks time I will be breathing the same air as these despicable evil cowards

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
Absolutely shocked by this terrible act.  But, what are the Jandarma going to do about it - NOTHING! - their track record is appalling - nobody charged over similar incidents in the past and rat poison is readily available in the shops - it's so shocking, I am lost for words.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:31 PM »
Irene there are posters going up all around Kalkan about this.  KAPSA, backed by the Kas Belediye is offering a reward to find this evil coward.  Word about this heinous act will spread throughout Kalkan.  Shame on those responsible.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:15 PM »
Charlie, I have full faith in Kapsa but unfortunately not the Jandarma - surely,  with all the technology & evidence available today, one would hope charges would be forthcoming?  The track record of the Jandarma in capturing these evil perpetrators has not been outstanding I am afraid - I sincerely hope someone is locked up for a very long time for this heinous crime.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:29 PM »
Not sure why people who would rather not see so many dogs on the street are being indirectly blamed for a twisted person poisoning them. You could just as easily blame people who want them on the street for indirectly leading to this heinous act. At the end of the day the street animal subject has been highlighted and we all know how that ends up. Best deal with it with the authorities and continue to enjoy kalkan as best we can.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »
It's quite simple to make the link
 People complaining about dogs, people taking the removal of said dogs into their own hands. What they fail to realise is that indiscriminate poisoning can only lead to negative press for Kalkan and it's businesses. I for one would not bring a child there who may pick up randomly thrown poison. Evil stupid people

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
Charlie, we sit and see these animals lost & totally uncertain it is really very sad, as for mentioning animals on this forum or anywhere else in Kalkan is always a dangerous action & there is never a good time.

I am an animal lover, some more than others & also the owner of a dog for 19yrs until her death.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »
Clearly a very emotive subject. But some responses here are totally out of proportion and context with the comments/sentiments of the OP. Shame a perfectly good and informative thread has been ruined.

Incidentally, I wouldn't wish any harm to any of the animals in Kalkan (or anywhere else) but here I sit being accused of vicariously killing these dogs. Quite unbelievable really.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
CAN I JUST REMIND MEMBERS THAT THIS WAS A CONCERNING POST ABOUT FEEDING ANIMALS IN HOLIDAY PROPERTIES & NOT AN ANTI STREET ANIMAL/DOG OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH KAPSA ISSUE.  THANK YOU.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
The posts from some people just shows how unrational the pro dog people are, not one of you answered the question, quite staggering really.  ::) ??? ::)

It just goes to show (sadly) that a lot of people flatly refuse to see or acknowledge that there is a problem.

Posters.......please, get a grip.

For the record I would Never hurt a dog, cat or any animal and I think that the poisoning is wrong.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
posters, get a grip please?? These posters are up with the full backing of the people who run and manage Kalkan, the Kas  Belediye.  I suggest one love if you have a problem with them speak to the Turkish people in charge. 

As a KAPSA supporter I certainly acknowledge there is a problem with street animals in Turkey and too many of them, but what am I expected to do?  Sit back, let them starve, die slow, painful deaths? No I chose to get involved with an organisation who follows global findings that trap, neutering and return over a long period of time is the only way to control this problem.  Until someone comes along with a proven, better way then I will continue to do so.

DRBD in no way was this directed at you and I apologise if it sounded like that.  I think everyone needs to think about the repercussions that can happen when people start/contribute to threads that threaten Kalkan as a holiday destination.  Emotions are running very high this week and there is an awful sadness in Kalkan at this time. 

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
Charlie I'm sorry re my 'get a grip' comment, it was uncalled for & on reflection I should keep those sorts of thoughts to myself.

Please let's not let this thread get out of order and accept that we all are entitled to our opinions.

Yes I agree there is a street dog problem all over Turkey & the Med in general, it's just that all the places I have visited in Turkey, which is many, I have never seen as many dogs as I see in Kalkan, do you have any idea why this is Charlie  ??? As an example, Kalkans 2 closest towns of Kas & Fethiye don't have anyway near as many dogs on the streets.

I still don't know your ( and other pro dog people ) thoughts re the feeding of dogs & cats as per DRBD's post  ???

'Pro dog' is not meant to offend  :angel:

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »
One Love, Kas does have  a problem and it also has a shelter bursting full with over 400 dogs all confined in one place. The dedicated volunteers do their best but the situation is heartbreaking. I'm sure they would welcome you to go and see for yourself and then you can make a fully informed decision as to who has the worst problem. Feelings are indeed running very high and I know that KAPSA as always are working with local people and authorities in an attempt to find this evil individual who has no concern for life animal or human.
As for the original question KAPSA gives advice to any tourists about being responsible regarding any feeding of street animals.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
As DRDB stated earlier. This is not a thread about KAPSA so maybe we should not have it rammed down our throats all the time. There is a clear division between pro and con. We have to accept that and move on to better things.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
When something bad happens one of the first things you/we must do is to find out 'why did it happen' ?

So I ask......Why do you think this person decided to poison these dogs ?

I fully agree it's wrong to kill these dogs and I don't agree with it, but if we can find out 'why' then maybe we can work backwards from there to find a solution to the problem ?

I don't think it's because there is someone out there who just enjoys/likes killing dogs, as if that were the case it would surely be happening all the time, albeit, I could be wrong.

itstime, I didn't realise that KAPSA offer advise to holiday makers on feeding dogs & cats at private villas / aparts after the owners of these property's have asked their guests to please not feed them in or near their propertys for reasons stated in DRDB's post. Out of interest what advise do KAPSA offer rental guests on this subject ?

I was rather hoping you would share 'your view' on this matter ?

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »
Their advice to everyone is what any decent person would expect ie don't feed animals in any villa/apartment or adjoining ground. If feeding at all do it well away from properties possibly waste ground and also never feed in restaurants /cafes.  I'm paraphrasing as don't have exact wording handy but can assure you that they do not condone or encourage feeding of animals n property

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
To answer your question.  I do have a villa in Kalkan I rent.  I encourage guests not to feed street cats or dogs in the grounds of the property.  As has been clearly stated it is unfair on the animals and following guests.  It is also unfair on my maintenance team and would make their work (and mine) much more.  I do ask guests if they wish to feed animals to do so on waste ground away from my villa and that of others. I also ask them not to encourage animals to come in to the property, again for the same reasons outlined above. I always leave a bowl of water at the gate of the villa on the road as it is very important there is fresh water available.  I do not feed animals in restaurants.  I believe I am a responsible person who is only trying to make life a little easier to fellow creatures who share this planet with me. If I didn't think that over years with a TNR policy and an education programme in place for young children in school that things would get better I would probably pack up and move from Kalkan as i could only see the situation getting worse.  I don't want to holiday where there are starving, sick, cats and dogs.  I've been to these places before and for this reason chose not to return.  Having visited Kalkan for 16 years I can only say that in my opinion I have seen an enormous progress with street animals.  When a new programme is put in place sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.  I honestly believe we are now out of the worse and in the next few years all of us will see a better management of street animals.  The more people to help and support KAPSA, the faster we will get there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Out of Season updates

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

271 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 07:37:59 AM
by DRBD
smiley
SEASON'S GREETINGS

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Kalkan Out of Season

Started by Firecat on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 06:52:32 PM
by Em1
grin
This Season's Highlights

Started by SarahS on Holiday Reports and Reviews

17 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 06:21:55 PM
by Chris18648

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Samira Turkish BBQ

Views: 4579
By: antler
Patara Beach