Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shirley's back for 2015 Finally!!!!  (Read 44109 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Shirley's back for 2015 Finally!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
No wonder you haven't had time to blog with all that you've  you've  been up to! Sounds like you're having a lovely time.
Black and gold bar sounds fab! I can't wait to try it.
So glad you are blogging Shirley, it's been a delight reading your adventures and like Babs said, so nice to see our fellow forum members saying hello too. I've missed you lot - where've you been over the winter?  ;) ;D
Yesterday, I picked my phone up and the blasted thing took great delight in reminding me that 1 year ago, at that exact time, we were sitting in manchester airport awaiting out flight to Kalkan   >:( >:( I won't repeat what I said!!!
We are really missing Kalkan but your blog is helping August to feel a little bit closer.  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Great to hear from you again! It sounds as though you are having a great time.  I think the family are ready to ban me from discussing Kalkan...its still 3 and a bit months til our holidays!
I am already scoping out designer bags so that i know which styles to look for. - my gorgeous Louis Vuitton was stolen in the burglary.  Nearly wept last night when a character on tv was carrying MY bag! Set me off on a project to find a new one.
Looking forward to next installment.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post, Jayne. Really enjoying reading what you are getting up to - a week has gone by already :(. We have a theory about time passing by faster in Kalkan than anywhere else in the universe....So pleased that your hot water is finally fixed. I don't know how you've managed having cold showers - the thought makes me shiver.
I'm glad you have been to Black and Gold, I hope Burak does really well here - cant wait to try it out in June.
Keep the reports coming, whenever you can squeeze them in :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
Hot showers....hooray! Glad to hear Black and Gold is looking good, it'll be our local in the absence of Kleo this year.
Cry on having fun, can't wait to hear the next installment  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
 It's Tuesday of our second week already, and where has the time gone! 16 days when we arrived seemed like an eternity and now we only have 5 days left, but we are definitely going to make the most of them!!

Where did I get up to? oh yes Sunday.  We went down to the harbour to the Kapsa Charity event, they had taken over Marina Restaurant for this and it was lovely.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous the hottest day so far since we arrived.  We met lots of lovely people and bought some homemade marmalade and home made cakes (one of which was my favourite Lemon Drizzle). 
Julie and Paul from EK (Kalkan Gems) and Christina were there to name but a few, we had a fabulous lunch consisting of their famous puffy read, well in actual fact we had 3 of those, between the 5 of us on our table, served with tapanade, chilli butter and salsa.  We all tucked in, and I was thinking this was the starter, but then a huge mixed mezee arrived! OMG I was getting full by this time, thinking how am I going to manage my main course.  There were several choices for main, but we had all opted for the fish and chips on the recommendation from someone who went last year.  Never had fish and chips in Kalkan, so thought would give it a go and boy am I glad we did, it was absolutely gorgeous and would recommend trying it if you go to Marina Restaurant.  It was red mullet in the most delightful light batter served with home made chips and tartar sauce, dreading getting on those scales next week! After lunch we sat in the beautiful sunshine and then went along to the beach for some more rays before heading back home around 6pm. 

We were on a mission tonight, we were moving the washing machine from the utility room into the kitchen. It wasn't the easiest of tasks, lots of pulling, pushing and shoving, but finally between Bob and I, we had managed to do it, although the plinth along the bottom needed to be cut to size, but that would have to wait until another day, we were done in.

By 9pm we were getting a little hungry! that sounds terrible after our huge lunch! but we tucked into a fab tomatoe and goats cheese one which we cooked in our electric multicooker, and if you have one of these would definitely recommend getting one, the best omelette I have ever tasted, cooked perfectly in it.

It was midnight again and off to bed we went, a lovely day, albeit exhausted now!

Monday - Where has the sun gone, started off sunny, but then the wind picked up and the clouds were gathering.  We called in at Patara just to see what it was like today, but it was very cold, although some crazy person was swimming in the sea.  We didn't stay very long and decided to go for a nice drive around.  On the way out, we stopped by the ruins where a lady and her husband were picking broad beans in their field, she was lovely, she came over and we bought some from  her, she told us how to cook them with with tomatoes, onions garlic and olive oil, so OH will be making that dish for certain very soon.

We drove through a few little villages including Kumluova and Karadere towards Xanthos so very different from Kalkan, somehow lovely in a funny sort of way. There were lemon trees everywhere along the road, we stopped to pick a couple, they smelt amazing. By mid afternoon it started to rain, so we headed back to Kalkan.  We wanted to finish off the plinth in the kitchen, so thought we would do that as the weather seemed to be closing in.  By 4.30pm mission accomplished, well done that man! it looked fab!

We were off to Adem's tonight with Julie and Paul, we were going to theirs for a pre dinner drink, so time for a quick shower and off we went. We had such a lovely evening, laughed, drank, ate (you get the picture).  We were the only ones in the restaurant, but as usual he pulled out all the stops, and we had a fab meal, we had a selection of starters to share, including liver, borek, calamari, haloumi cheese, always I go for the Shrimp Casserole, and it certainly didn't disappoint, along with homemade chips! He brought the guest book over for us to sign, and sure enough we looked back through and there were our comments from last year, together with Lizilu's and Automan's when we visited this time last year, reminiscing as you do, we said we wished they were here with us too! roll on August when we all meet up again.  :) :) Time for Adem to take us back, and he arrived at our table with a complimentary liquer and more lemons for us all! A true gentleman. Back we sped in his car to our apartment for a nightcap, it was getting on for 1am! Julie was ready to party, but Paul was in need of some shuteye as they had decorating to do in the morning! We said goodnight to them, and we hit the pillow in no time at all.

Tuesday - 8am and the sun is shining with clear blue sky.  We are thinking of driving to Saklikent, Tlos and Yakapark today, so will report back very soon.

S x  8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
Shirl......thanks for making time in your hectic schedule to share with us!  :laugh: really sounds as if you are making the most of your time in kalkan and you've certainly gone past your bedtime a few times!  :laugh: :laugh:
In all our visits to Kalkan we've only been to Adem's once.....we went for lunch and it was all a bit of a disaster! My daughter has a bit of a phobia about chickens and spent the entire time jumping and sitting on her feet and then Adem's daughter cut her arm badly and had to be rushed off for treatment. Every time I hear someone's lovely description of their time there it makes me think we should give it another go!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
Oh Shirl, I wish we were in Kalkan too but at least the sun has been shining for us this weekend and we toasted you and Bob with a glass of wine sat out in the garden yesterday afternoon. It wasn't quite the same though.  :(

I cant believe that you are into your final week, it's gone so quickly. I bet you were ready for a relax after all that pushing and shoving with the washer, and all the partying you are doing!

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time - I'm salivating at the sound of that fish and chips!  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Seems like you are having a great stay, Jayne. It doesn't sound like you are getting much time for jobs around your apartment - washing machine shifting aside :o I imagine its lovely visiting all those places that are normally teaming with tourists and under the glare of intense sunlight - very different out of season.
Can't wait to catch-up with your next installment - love it !!!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
Another wonderful report Jayne.  You are setting the bar very high for the next blogger!   good to see that you have a touch of the Joycies!

I love, love, love Kalkan, but it must be lovely to do things without lots of people and it being raging hot!

Your trip has properly motivated me, 2 cozzies, a pair of shorts, cover-all and sun cream purchased and in the "bits n bobs" drawer already!  So looking forward to August to catch up and meed Lizilu!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
Me too Haybo  :-*

I haven't improved on my preparations though - Automan and I are on our "romantic" childless holiday to Mauritius and Dubai 4 weeks tomorrow and I still haven't even had a rummage through my drawers yet. You put me to shame  :( I had to nip down to the shop yesterday to buy some sunblock for Automan's glowing bonce as I don't even have any suncream bought yet. Trouble is it's like starting from scratch as all our essentials (including rogue bottles of pimms, gin, beach bags, sun creams, beach shoes etc) are all keeping Bob and Jayne company ready for our August Kalkan holiday.   ;D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
Great to follow your blog Jayne.   Getting me into the mood for our next visit - should I start my list of places to eat already?   Trouble is when we get there the list gets rather forgotten.

We love our visits to Adem's, can certainly recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet tried it.  Seem to be a few new places worth trying.

It doesn't sound as if you are getting much sleep with your late nights.   I don't think I have the stamina!

Enjoy the remainder of your visit and I will continue to follow your  blog - who will be the next to take up the baton?

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about mauritius...... Good plan to stash stuff chez shirl!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
I think I may have to stop buying those "coverall" thingys...I have about 10 in the Kalkan bag without counting the...erm small(ish) collection I have in the case :-[ :-[
BH just asked if I am taking a different one for everyday! And so it begins...
Exactly 2 months today we will be in Kalkan (with my 47 "coveralls")

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »
Coveralls? Doesn't sound quite as glamorous as kaftans or kimonos!  :laugh: :laugh:
How long are you going for K4E, I'm just trying to work out how many changes you'll need to wear all 47!
Although I've bought others over the years I have a favourite.....it features two years on the run in photos on the wall at Kalamar beach club from 8/9 years ago and it's still going strong!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 07:19:18 AM »
Thank you for all your kind comments and here unfolds Tuesday.

After a leisurely breakfast, yes more eggs, oh how we love them, not clucking yet, but imagine we will be by the end of the week.  We left Kalkan en route to Saklikent, we had forgotten how lovely the drive is, so different in April than the boiling hot organised day trips in August in a mini bus, we have decided when we go in the summer, we will drive independently, much more relaxing. We arrived around midday, the ottoman seating in all the restaurants was dismantled except a couple of them. 
The bridge was no longer there, apparently they had removed it as they had been flooded. We crossed the river on the little bridge at the far end, it was so rickety and wasn't sure it would take my weight let alone both of us! Bob said just keep walking and don't look down, oh how I hate heights, the guy in the cafe said no we have in excess of 5000 visitors a day in the summer and the bridge will hold everyone! We got to the other side, the gorge was open but not for walking in the water, you were just allowed to go in along the walkway for 250 metres or so, we decided the bridge to cross the river was enough, so we made our way back.  Had a lovely chat to the new guy running the plastic shoe stall, told us there were new toilets, new chalets for camping, and the bridge would be back in place. He told us the ringos were open, and now is the best time to go as the river was running fast and we would get a speedier trip than when we return in August! He really thought that I wanted to go and he insisted he take me on them, I thanked him for his kindness!! but said that we would be back in August to do the Ringos, and that my dear friend Lizilu has promised to accompany me!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Next stop Tlos, it was so beautiful driving up the mountain, there was so much snow still on the top, and we took some amazing photos, I wish I could post them on here. The weather was beautiful today, and you couldn't have wished to be anywere else. We stopped to look at the ruins, they have fenced some of them off as they are excavating them, such an amazing historical area.  The sun shone down and it looked fabulous.  Onto Yakapark now, they were still getting ready for the season, but they were open and a lovely Turkish man showed us around and we sat on the Ottoman seating in the new roof terrace above the bar where you select your trout in the summer.  Fabulous! Made us think we must revisit in the summer.

On our drive here today, we have seen so many wild animals roaming around, whether in the middle of the road or just in the fields, mountains or somebody's restaurant, we have seen cows, sheep, horses, donkeys, goats, ducks, some beautiful birds in the mountain, turkeys, lots of trout! and some lovely geese roaming free at Yakapark, who decided to peck at Bob's legs!

Slowly we drove back down and and stopped off for a late lunch, which comprised of a lovely chicken shish with salad, we weren't even sure where we were but it was delicious. We set the satnav (can't believe how helpful this has been out here) and made our way back to Kalkan, stopping off at Patara.  It was really sunny but boy when we got on that beach was it windy, more so than ever I can remember.  We tried to shelter behind the Cafe, but it was like we were in a sandstorm.  Still there were people in the sea, not sure why, it must have been freezing!

Back to Kalkan, stopping off at Migros for some chicken for dinner, we have found the butchers in there to be brilliant.  We bought 4 chicken breasts, a kilo in weight for the grand sum of 6.99 tl, worked out at around £1.80 a kilo! wow! it just seems to be getting cheaper every time we go in.  It was 10 Tl in the market and we thought that was good. We bought some cheese, we had tasted this amazing aged hard cheese in the market at Kas last week, and they had it in Migros today.  We are a bit confused re the cheese this year, we have always only known yellow or white cheese, that is what they tell you, this year you ask, and they say beef or sheep cheese! we did find some lovely goats cheese in Carrefour the other day though.
Talking of which, this is now fully up and running and is a really good supermarket.  Next stop was the Bakery for a loaf of bread, I shut my eyes at the savoury pastries that are always staring you in the face at the counter today, they smelt bread, I managed to shut my eyes standing at the counter, as they have their fantastic savoury pastries staring you in the face!
Then Yali for some wine, Bob's found a lovely red called Tilsim recommended by Christina to us, they had it on offer today in all 3 colours for 13.99 TL, normally 25TL.  Back home, a quick shower and we were done! The sofa beckoned, music on, glass of wine in hand, a lovely facetime chat with my daughter, what more could we ask for. 

Chris the Spark messaged to ask if we wanted to go to Black and Gold Bar, and as much as we would have loved to have joined them, we found ourselves declining their lovely offer, our energy was exhausted, so have arranged for another evening now.

Chef Bob cooked dinner, chicken arrabbiata in a lovely spicy fresh tomato and pepper sauce with tagliatelle, it was so yummy.

Our aim for this evening was to be in bed by 11pm, the earliest this holiday, and we almost made it! it was 11.28 when we switched the lights out.

Wednesday, 4 more days! Going to book my Kalkan pedicure for Friday today, always go to the Pirat, but this year will just have  the pedicure and not the nails as had Shellac on a Groupon deal before I came out, and I can't believe how good they are, still as shiny and in tact as almost 3 weeks ago! Bob's having a haircut although doesn't really need one, but he goes for the upper body massage if nothing else! and he needs that at the moment after shifting that dishwasher and washing machine the other day!

S x  8)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
What a fab day you had yesterday, it's so great to be able to explore and not have to fight the crowds, and the sweat dripping into your eyes in the heat of summer.  :)

Well, me and you on those ringo's just doesn't bear thinking about! It's a disaster waiting to happen  ;D ;D ;D

Hope we don't wash up on Patara as knowing our luck, we will have a tale to tell about that escapade!!!

Enjoy your day today and look I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's report.  :) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
What a perfect day, Jayne....sounds heavenly.
We've bought fillet steak from the butcher in Migros - it was amazing. They dont always have it but if they do we snap it up as its really cheap and lovely quality.
Only 4 days left....where has the time gone?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:51:28 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
Oh and I meant to say K4E, re the coverall thingys. I only have a handful, cannot compete with you at all, but they religiously accompany me on every holiday, and down to the beach, then usually accompany me back home again usually unworn. I love the idea of them and they look so pretty on the hangers and on other people, but when I put them on, I feel (and look) like a sack of spuds! They seem to cling to sunburnt skin and cause me no end of discomfort after a day of sunworshipping. I still persevere though!  :) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
I dont think Debenhams can compete with me, Lizilu :-*

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D :o 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Finally - it's arrived........

Started by happy days on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Finally joined

Started by Mick the Loiner on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 06:55:33 AM
by kim21
xx
Can it finally be true?

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 11:42:25 PM
by itstime
xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal