Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How to apply for a Resident visa?  (Read 7722 times)

Offline KingArthur

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
How to apply for a Resident visa?
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
I have tried to find out from the Turkish Embassy in London how to apply for a Turkish Resident visa, but with no success. I understand the law changed in April 2014 whereby new applications will have be submitted to the Turkish Embassy in the country of residence. But until this actually comes into force, apparently new applications need to be made at the nearest police station in Turkey (Kas?).

My wife and I are coming out to Kalkan in January 2015 on a tourist visa with a view to applying for our first resident visas. But we are extremely worried that the rules will suddenly change whilst we are in transit and we turn up in Kas with all our our documents, application forms, etc, just to be told something like "the rules changed yesterday and so you must go back to the UK and apply at the Turkish Embassy London"!

The Turkish Embassy in London don't have a clue, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Ankara are impossible to get through to by phone or email. So I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the latest on this or if you know who I can contact to get a definitive answer?

Many thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12527.0

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: How to apply for a Resident visa?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Hi KingArthur,

I would think the best place for the up-to-date info on this & your other questions would be KTLN (Kalkan Turkish Local News).  I only read it as a guest but they have quite extensive archives that you may have to register to get access to, bit like this forum.  I think it's written by expat residents in Kalkan though I might be wrong about that.

They do cover lots of 'official' & 'legal' issues & update fairly regularly.

Hope that helps,

Good luck,

Lucy Lou

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
I successfully applied for residency last April. It took me three separate visits to the Kas Jandarma over a 4 week period as it was a time of transition and the rules were changing from day to day. Even the police seemed confused and frustrated as they were receiving new directives each day. I found the experience quite stressful but I got there in the end thanks to the comprehensive guide published in the KTLN website: http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/component/content/article/67-residency-and-visas/373887-the-ktln-guide-to-obtaining-turkish-residency

The key points to note are:

Residency only lasts for 12 months then you have to re-apply.
You will need private health insurance. You cannot get SGK insurance without obtaining residency status first. The rules about age restrictions for SGK applicants have also changed recently.
You cannot be out of the country (Turkey) for more than 120 days.
Any supporting documentation in English has to be translated and notarised.
Once granted and issued, your residency card will be posted out from Ankara to your Turkish address.
The Kas Jandarma also mentioned that biometric photos might be required in the future, so it's worth checking this one out.

I'm sure things have settled down now, and there are less likely to be any further sudden changes to the process. Good luck.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
I know KTLN have a very comprenhenive update on the new residency permit rules which changed last month but I found this article interesting. Also there is a link to a Facebook "surgery" page for expats and frequent visitors who are understandably keen to undertand how the changes affect them.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/11383927/Britons-with-homes-in-Turkey-could-have-residency-cancelled.html
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »
Trying to get  info from the Turkish Embassy in London is like pulling teeth, we had a horrible time when we attended, they were so rude & unhelpful, a Turkish friend who came with us for support was very ashamed & angry at the way we were treated. Since then she also has had unhelpful treatment. We both had booked appointments too via the website.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Well, thanks to the changes (especially the "new" 120-day rule) we have decided that we will just have to let our residency lapse when it expires in June this year. It's just going to be too complicated juggling time in and out of the country, when I frequently have to go back to the UK for work. We will then just rely on tourist visas. It's a shame, and talking to other expats it appears we are not alone.

Maybe this is actually what they (the Turkish government) want?

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:48 PM »
I am also beginning to think that the Turkish gov does not really want foreign residents, only foreign tourists who maybe spend more, come and go and don't ask for things.  The DGMM rep who recently met with foreigners in Kas said some BS.  He stated that the new laws "are in line with those of the EU".  Absolutely untrue.  Spain, France, Italy, Portugal ... residency requires 183 days/year presence in the country and there are no stifling restrictions like the Turkish gov is imposing (example, 5 year rule).  All EU countries, however, require that the applicant has health insurance before residency will be granted.

RE SGK, some folks have recommended that those who already have it continue to pay because it will resume as soon as the new RP is granted so we are continuing our payments until this point is clarified.  It all remains to be seen.

As for a notarized translation of a health insurance policy, we have private health insurance from a Spanish company, but where would we ever find a Turkish notary able to translate from Spanish to Turkish?  Turkish embassy in Madrid??  hahaha , wait and hope .... keep waiting forever !  And the Spanish company will not give us a proof of coverage in English because it would not be *official*.

DRBD ... bureaucrats everywhere seem to be afflicted with the same illness. Symptoms:  boorishness, arrogance, intransigence, incompetence, laziness, delight at frustrating others. Schadenfreude. US Embassy personnel suffer from this same illness in at least 3 countries where I've had to contact the embassy.  Now I rely on the good offices of the UK embassy in Turkey to negotiate because what comes to the Brits is likewise accorded to Americans in Turkey.

Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »
Cosetta. .. good to hear your comments re the UK Embassy.  Re SGK,  we have been informed that you are unable to cancel this even if your RD is cancelled, if you just go for the visa option if retuning to Turkey any outstanding SGK payment will still have to be paid. Life just gets more complicated especially if you try to do the right things at the right times.   

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
I think they will re consider the 120 day  rule   once  the full consequences  are diluted   and feedback from the UK Gov is fully taken into account, then again if Turkey get EU status, it will not matter!!,    albeit still a few years away,  but maybe not as many years away as everyone thinks!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »
brian j p,

We have enough trouble the Turkish law makers at the moment....So Please Please not them faceless, unelected, undemocratic cronies from the EU as well :-((((((

Let's hope the rules are changed very soon, as at the moment this is a right mess for so many of us.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
It's a not a mess, it's a mucking fuddle, as my dad would say.....

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
OneLove   : are you trying to say the EU is not fit for purpose   ha ha ,  agree entirely       

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »
;-)))

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Can any resident help us ?

Started by katmanjock on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 08:40:01 PM
by katmanjock
xx
Ready or Not..here I come - new resident

Started by Lynnecurtis on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
by Chucky
thumbdown
Selling moped - non resident

Started by Sivadmv on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 09:06:44 PM
by kevincat99
smiley
New permanant Kalkan resident looking for some tech support

Started by Leo. on Living In Kalkan

1 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal