Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: We're here!....  (Read 18841 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: We're here!....
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
all holiday reports, retrospective or otherwise are most welcome :) They give you ideas of things to do whether you are a first timer or multi trip seasoned visitor.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
Sad to say our experiences with Sade have not been so good.

Our first visit we were bumped out onto the balcony - "very romantic" - only to be largely ignored, with the curtain on the door occasionally being pulled back to ensure we hadn't thrown ourselves off, or died.  Trying to get a fresh drink was a nightmare.  This was compounded by Lamb Chops which were so awful, the lambs must have been born just before Gallipoli.

Our second visit, on the terrace, was better, from an ambience point of view - the Sea Bass fillets being 'nice', with nice vegetables; the chicken special, was however, dry, hard and unpleasant - not to be recommended, and made one wishing something else had been chosen.

Our third visit (we like to give these places a fair chance) was odd from the start.  We arrived on the terrace to see a couple we keep bumping into this year.  We stood there chatting for a few minutes, being pretty obvious we knew each other, so they put us at a table - not the empty one next to them, but the next one along!  We therefore spent the evening talking across the bemused couple in between us (who were compelled to join in)!  Once again the lamb chops were dire.   So much so that they become less of the dish of choice to avoid at all costs for the rest of the holiday (unfairly to other restaurants).  A complaint on this resulted in a free ice-cream (for one).  The other choice was the lamb shank, which although cooked nicely had an insipid sauce that was beyond description and really spoilt the lamb's flavour.

Shame really, because Sade was great when it opened, but I wonder if they are a victim of their own success - personally we'd rather go to Erhan's(?) brother's place (Alternatif), where Mustafa has never failed us.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
That poor couple, Chris_s, having you talk across them all evening. Maybe the lamb chops were deliberately bad to stop you visiting ever again and ruining the ambience of the restaurant for other diners?!

Surprised you gave it a third chance if it was as awful  as you say on your second visit.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
Loving the reports Babs. I've had an odd chuckle at your antics.  ;D
We have only ever been to Sade once a couple of years ago and it was so good that I took a photo of my food as it was so beautifully presented. After we had all finished, we were chatting and OH asked to have a look at my photo. I was enthusing how good it had been and pretended to lick my phone screen, saying "yum yum" - like an idiot - and there was an awkward silence - then splutters of laughter from my family as I hadn't realised that the waiter was behind me, about to clear my plate and witnessed my numpty moment. I'm not sure who was most embarrassed. Needless to say that's another place I have to hang my head in shame and look the other way as we pass! Maybe they've forgotton by now and it's time to go back. Our food was awesome, shame you've had bad experinces Chris_S.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
It's a shame you had not one but three bad experiences Chris_s.......I've already decided that this is where I will celebrate my birthday next year.......assuming tonight's experience is as good as a couple of nights ago. We sat on one of the little balconies last year and I'm not sure they mean to ignore you I think they think they will give you some privacy as it's "romantic" personally I'm at an age where I prefer the terrace!  :laugh:
So last night we returned to an old favourite....Belgins Kitchen.....we have to pop in there while we can still manage to eat sitting on cushions. Although the food is very simple we've always enjoyed it.
OH's birthday today and we were alarmed to wake up to grey skies as we had a boat trip booked. Breakfast at Ada.....our confirmed favourite breakfast and soon the breeze blew the clouds away. We've had a lovely day on Moby Dick....always lovely to see Denis and Kamal.....Kamal is such an interesting man.....he was showing us photos of the amazing wooden model boats he makes in the winter and the incredible wooden chests that he carves. The usual mix of ex pats, habitual holiday makers and first timers made it a great day. The stiff breeze kept up throughout the day and as I forgot to take anything to keep my hair in check I have arrived back looking....interesting!! ;D I also managed to fall over twice on the boat......I'm not at all embarrassing to be with!!
When we got back to the apartment the lovely korsan cleaners here have put a little vase of flowers alongside the collection of birthday cards.....very sweet.
Lovely evening of drinks at Botanik followed by Sade planned.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
What a lovely birthday OH has had Babs, we've never been to Sade or on Moby Dick, but have heard good reports before on both, so on our list for next year now.  Botanik really is the place to go this year isn't it, we loved it there in the summer.

Jx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
It all sounds lovely, Babs. so glad the clouds blew away to reveal the sun for your boat trip. Haha...Kalkan Boat Hair :) :) The salt air, wind, sea, sun and mud combo does not make a good hairstyle - particularly if you hair isnt long enough to stick it all up out of the way. I share your pain :laugh:
So pleased for Botanik's owners who found themselves ousted from the bar they had started the year before - Fountain Bar. They deserve to do well and have created a vibrant bar in a space that others had tried to make work but hadn't succeeded - its a bit off the beaten track. Have to say it had only just opened when we were there in June but we absolutely loved it. Good luck to them.
Hope you had a fantastic evening!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Well we had a lovely evening for OHs birthday and I have decided that I'd like to celebrate my birthday in just the same way next May.....have decided to officially move the date by a couple of days!  :laugh:
Have spent the day a Mahal beach club today. Haven't been there since we used to go for the odd day's escape from kids when we used to have to go to Kalkan in August. It is undoubtably in a beautiful position and the facilities are spotless however we found the staff to be bordering on disinterested and if the food we had for lunch is the same as in the swish hotel section then I would question the extortionate prices......it was expensive and without a doubt the worst food I have eaten in Kalkan!
Back to Kleo for a happy hour Mojito and the world, well Kalkan, is our cockle for this evening!  ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
Antler - Well it wasn't non -stop conversation all night - we're not that rude!  They did join in a bit, but Erhan wasn't around that much that evening, so perhaps it was a lack of attention by the staff?

As for the third visit - we do try, and don't write off a place on one visit - we know that things can go wrong, and will always give them another chance, and if we do whinge, we try to do it discreetly and constructively, that way we try to help avoid things going wrong again.  Most times it's (apparently) appreciated.  We never, ever never go back unless it's obvious the place it irretrievable, or they are so rude you wouldn't want to go back - fortunately we've only come across one place like that in Kalkan.

It's even more painful as we've known Erhan since he was working at Alternatif (as a lad), and we have, like most of you, more good places and people than you can list - it would be like the credits at the end of a Bond film ;D

Then again, we've never experienced your undoubtable gastronomic skills either... :angel:

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Well, that was.....interesting! Waking up to strong winds, the weather variety,  :laugh:, we assumed our planned boat trip would be cancelled. But no, Denis battened down the hatches and Moby Dick was one of the two boats that left the harbour today. After an exhilarating start we nestled into the first bay after Kalamar, Firnez? We styled there all day and it was lovely, more or less the same group of people we'd been out with on the boat on Friday. Sheltered from the wind it was beautiful. Then round about tea time the wind was really strong, there was a mini typhoon/water spout and Denis had to dive in to save a bean bag and a seat cushion that had flown out of the boat. So tea and chocolate biscuits eaten we set off back to the harbour and then sat on the beach until sunset.....bizarrely it was really sheltered on the beach!
No firm plans of where to eat tonight.....going to do the last bit of shopping and see where we end up!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »
Glad your winds are of the weather variety, Babs!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
So envious, we have the wind in Wetherby, too.... but the view just ain't the same!
Hope you enjoy every minute...

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
So here we go....a final holiday report post! We arrived back in the early hours of Wednesday morning and jumped straight back on to the hamster wheel that is work :(
Our last couple of days were as lovely as the rest.....we spent our days on the town beach with not a cloud in the sky.....the beach is totally transformed for me this year by the addition of sun bed cushions!  :laugh:
We decided to give Olive Garden a second try after a bad experience a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised......although it was nippy noodles up on the top terrace. Our last night, and 35th wedding anniversary was spent at the Fish Terrace, a perennial favourite of ours.....lovely as ever.
So final thoughts........another lovely relaxed holiday in a place that still feels very special. Great to see people we've known for years and to meet new people. The scenery is always beautiful, Kalkan was looking lovely and it's so sad to see the devastation caused by the rain today. We had some amazing food ranging from very simple pancakes on Kaputas beach and at the market to delicious meals at top end restaurants all at prices way below what we would pay here.
Now counting down the months and weeks till next May..............

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
Glad you're back safely. It's been lovely to read your reports (sounds very formal) Kalkan seems a million miles away. Such a wonderful place it will always have a special place in my heart. Don't know whether we'll be back next year because of different things happening including a wedding in Colorado but as the Terminatorr somebody like that says WE'LL BE BACK!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks so much for posting Babs....although you've neglected to tell us how bag shopping went??? Interested to hear what you bought this year and where you went for your purchases. I think the town beach really comes into its own late season....the sea is warm, its not so packed and its just a perfect way to spend the day. Did you get to Palm Beach and take up occupation of "our" sunbed this year?
Get that countdown app going pronto for May...you will be back in Kalkan before us this year so I'll be relying on your reports.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:42:06 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
I must try nippy noodles on the Olive Garden top terrace .....they sound delicious ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »
Ha ha BL!  :laugh: :laugh:
K4E......bag shopping was quite restrained......2 Longchamps over night bags and one smaller bag and 2 Mulberry clutch bags all from BSG, oh and a Mulberry purse!
We didn't get a chance to go to Palm Beach to lay on any sun bed as they closed on our second day.....very odd I thought as that was two weeks before the half term holiday and the date that most restaurants were working to! When we asked around places seemed to be aiming for 1 November......although I wonder if some may have closed earlier due to the rain at the end of this week?
The count down is going on in my head......I'm just packing away summer clothes thinking that next time I see them I'll be getting ready for Kalkan 2015!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
Lovely reading your coming home post and all your holiday ones Babs, thank you.  So glad you had a fabulous time, and as K4E says, definitely get that count down app going! We certainly have ours all set for next Easter  :D Well done on your Longchamp purchases, I use my little Longchamp bag every day, and have 2 weekender Longchamps put away for Christmas for our daughters.   :D

Jx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
Glad you arrived home safely Babs and a big thank you from me too. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts and greedily lapped them up!  :)
Good choice on the bag purchases. I'm already thinking of what next years purchase(s) will be!
You'll be back before you know it!  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal