Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Good News & Some Bad News  (Read 19639 times)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Some Good News & Some Bad News
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
Don't panic too much about the banks being closed if you are able to take English currency with you as you can still change English notes to TL in the usual shops in town, like the Jewellers / all of those places with the boards outside giving you the exchange rate. 

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
We are off tomorrow.  I assume that even though the banks are closed the cash machines will still be working - is that right.  We have some £ and a tiny bit of TL but not enough to last more than a couple of days

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Yes, cash machines are working ;)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »
We have found that they run out early as Bayram goes on so best to withdraw enough to last you just in case.

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Yes, don't rely on the cash machines as they will run out!  Take some English notes and change them when you get there is my advice.  Don't be caught short!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
We are here despite an hour delay at Gatwick due to late arrival of inbound plane.The lady pilot wasn't messing about once we go our slot she was out on the runway in the fog and upwe went. We are in a different Villa this time up a bit higher so it looks like get get a better wifi signal (unlucky readers 8), so good that with 3 bars I can get Film on Live app working so will be able to keep I touch with what's happening at home as TV only has snowy channels & no cable.
Been up since 2 so an a bit cream crackered so will try & write up a few notes in the morning not that we've done much since arriving.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »
 So many people going out around now......we'll be a week behind you!  :laugh:
Don't use up all the sunshine people.......have looked at the long range forecast and it's not so good!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
Sorry you were delayed Pompeyalbie, but glad your there now safe and sound, imagine you are more refreshed this morning, horrible feeling when your tired and arrive late at night, but you soon forget on waking up in Paradise the next morning don't you. I'm quite scared of flying, and when I read fog and a lady pilot not hanging around, I felt somewhat sick!  ::)

Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday, and Babs not long for you now either, bet your getting really excited, am sure the weather will be fine for you. 

Jayne

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
Just off to get some cash out of the hole in the wall ready for bag shopping!!  ;D ;D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
Guess what? Woke up to mountain to mountain sunshine after a good nights sleep. Back to yesterday, even though we were late arriving the Brave Tours man was there waiting with our car, amazed how they ask if you want to pay there or in resort. Anyway hit the D400 and made good time on empty roads, it was only as we passed Fethiye that we started noticing trucks or trailers with single goats in making their equivalent to "The Green Mile ". Got to town and picked up the keys to the villa which is 2 along from our usual one so a bit higher and thus a great view over the town & harbour. First job was off to Yali to stock up on essentials,you know bread,milk,soft toilet rolls, water and Efes. Ready for dinner we made our way down to town where I was nearly mugged 3 times due to carrying a bottle of Jim Beam for Ozay in MissSiver,it must be popular over here.We then made our way down through the streets saying hello to few old faces to take a roundabout route to Alternatif for dinner, Mustafa always gives you such a warm welcolme. We decided to forego starters and I went for the special Fish Casserole while Janet went for Ottoman Chicken which was chicken covered in mash potatoes and topped with cheese, both were a bit like a bottomless dish where it just went on & on, really yummy as the kids say.For sweets I had baked banana while Janet went for a fruit topped pancake. We sat chatting to the couple on the next table who also arrived the same day.I had another first, a Turkish coffee, I don't do coffee at all but was dared to try one and have to say I quite enjoyed it. After 2 wines & a Tonic & gin I had to help her up the hill again to get back to the car it's a good job she doesn't drive over here. Speaking of drivers there are some nutters about this weekend, first as we approach the turn off for Patara a car came towards us on the Wong side of the dual carriageway, luckily there were 2 lanes and then someone decided to go round the roundabout at the Kalamar Road the wrong way in front of us!!
Right Saturday morning we were up and down to the harbour to catch the Yildiz boys to try & book up but due to the festival it looks like not many boats were going out today so managed to get on with Osman for Wednesday,next stop was Images to get a nice pen for my sisters birthday.Due to my hat taking a battering in transit I needed a new Panama so found a nice one for a pittance.Time for a snack so down to Fener for a Turkish Breakfast and a cup of tea while we just sat and chilled for a while watching the world not go by. Seemed very quiet for a Saturday. On the way back to the car we stopped off to see Tumay and his son Ibrahim who was wearing his Pompey kit we sent over for him. Climbing back up the hill be dropped into ADDA Tours to book up a trip to Meis for Sunday. Next stop was out to Adem's to book up for Monday night for my birthday dinner, he was as welcoming as ever, we do love that place. The afternoon was spent by the pool chilling & with a decent wifi signal I found a nice Motown station in USA to listen to via Tunein App on the IPad. I'm off for a Turkish Bath before getting back to follow Pompey game via Twitter.
More tales tomorrow of our day in Meis and what  & where we ate, I thing Janet wants to go to Sade as the hints have been dropped. Right I'm getting warm so Ineed to get back in the pool.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
Lovely report! I hope you enjoy meis.  We stepped iff the ferry and spoke to a guy outside the Radio Cafe, cpt Costa, who offered to take us out to the blue caves, well worth it, but maybe read my trip report that includes day 9 or 10 for the full story!  We found it wuite expensive but had a good day never the less! Enjoy yildiz2.

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
You must go to Sade it really is a gastronomical delight - you won't be disappointed!
Lou :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
Oh Pompeyalbie, it's been wonderful reading your report on a rainy windy UK day. I can almost picture your Kalkan day! Keep your lovely reports coming and hi to Janet too! 8)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:03:35 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »
lovely report...keep them coming :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »
Saturday we did indeed go to Sade but until after I had stopped off for a shave & haircut at the shack. I only asked for a trim but there seemed to be a lot of snipping going on & now Janet informs me that most of my dark hair at the back has gone, no wonder he never put the mirror behind my head!! Glad I never had the massage at Atlantis after my Turkish bath as the barber really went to town on my back shoulders and arms, think I'll have another Thursday night. Right on to Sade, they just about squeezed us in up on the terrace but all the decent seats were gone so we sat at the top of the stairs. Once again we went without starters in favour of a main & sweet, Janet went straight for the stuffed Seabass with spinach,prawns & calamari, me I was stuck for choice, should I have the mixed grill or the steak I had last time? Then I saw the special chicken which was stuffed with spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms & feta cheese that sounded good so I went for that, good choice, both dishes were superbly plated and an explosion of taste, ( I must stop watching Masterchef) seriously it was really nice & tasty. For sweet there was only 1 choice for me, the sweet that gets my award for best sweet in Kalkan, Fried Ice Cream, a dollop of ice cream coated in breadcrumbs the quickly deep fried, comes coated in a caramel sauce, absolutely gorgeous, Janet went for a boring Creme caramel but she enjoyed it.
On to Sunday morning, we were up with the sparrows as we were booked to be picked up at 08:45 to go to Meis. At 9:15 the transport still hadn't arrived so that was out the window as we'd never make Kas in time for the ferry. Whether he missed us or just never turned up I don't know, we hedged our bets by me being down at reception & Janet stood outside the villa but when a minibus passed by he never stopped & asked if we were his pickups. We waited until 10 then went down to ADDA office to find out, but his English wasn't too good so we rebooked for Thursday. So what do you do then? Obvious really head for Fener for breakfast & watch the boats go out for the day, none evened very full but the sea was calm. After that we headed back to the villa where we were met by the resident cat ho made herself at home & feasted on a few treats we brought out. We decided to head for Kas to give it another go as we weren't impressed last time just as the dark clouds started to build on top of the mountain. I think we stayed an hour before heading back, still not impressed. Spent the afternoon lazing by the pool listening to Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio London, the sun came out and I had another dip in the pool to cool off.
We had no definite plans where to eat tonight so when we bumped into Ozay & Tumay we asked who's been getting the rave reviews & they said Sade but we went there last night so then suggested Gourmet. We'd been there last October & had a nice meal so thought we'd go again. Up on the middle terrace we had a nice table looking over the rooftops plenty of full terraces at Escudo & Kalamaki which is always nice to see. Once again no starters but a complimentary Meze of sushi, my that wasabi is hot, good job I had an Efes to hand. Janet went for Sole Veronique while I went for a Turkish dish with a weird name Walnut Kuzu or something which consisted of pieces of lamb cooked in saffron & other spices with walnuts in a pomegranate sauce so you had sweet & sour flavours again. I had a huge portion & Janet's fillet was quite thick & totally boneless, so we both thoroughly enjoyed it. For sweet we both went for the Chocolate pear with ice cream, I expected a pear dipped in melted chocolate but no this pear was in a delicious red sauce with melted chocolate in a tube so hen you lifted it up it merged with the sauce and a ramekin of ice cream on the side, very artistic & imaginative.
It's been a strange day as we had no backup plan and were at a loose end all day, I wanted to do something but didn't know what.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »
Oh Pompeyalbie, how awful not to have been picked up for your Meis trip :( I certainly would not be giving them a second chance. There are plenty of Tour companies in the village offering this excursion....its a pretty poor show to forget passengers at this time of year when the season isnt as busy.
We love Gourmet - glad you enjoyed it too :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:13:13 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
K4E isn't busy?? It's heaving considering it's October. Being the festival there are lots of people around, I saw 2 coaches pull up as we walked back to the car this morning. More tales of another eventful day later on

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
Pompeyablie another great report, but so sorry you didn't get to go to Meis, but at least you have rebooked for Thursday, and I can guarantee you will love it there. We went to Gourmet this year, our first time, and I had the marbled steak which was amazing!  By the way, many happy returns of the day, hope you are having a lovely time, and enjoy Adems tonight.  Look forward to hearing all about it. 

Jayne :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Happy birthday Pompeyalbie and enjoy your birthday meal tonight. Such a shame about Meis but I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much on thursday. Not very good customer service by the sounds of things though  :(

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Crikey...you're putting me off ever coming back in October. We've not come for the last few years as we had significant landmark celebrations so went off to pastures new. Couldnt get dates sorted between BH and I and our work commitments this year so in three seasons has it changed that much? I used to love the relaxed feel of the place and how quiet it felt compared to July and August....so gutted the place is heaving.
Have a lovely birthday meal in Adem's - look forward to your next report.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Good News/Bad News

Started by maryjane on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 06:10:21 PM
by misty
xx
Good news... or bad news?

Started by MartynE on Money & Finance

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 06:36:46 AM
by MartynE
xx
Really good news

Started by onelove on The Everything Else Area!

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:41:14 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Good news

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
by EK Moderator

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal