Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: kalkan Changes  (Read 18010 times)

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
kalkan Changes
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »
Just returned from another great holiday to Kalkan wishing we were still there. :(
Seen a few changes even since May. Price increases in many places, 10 TL for an Efes in a few bars and 54 TL for a fillet steak.
The most disappointing thing though, was the opening of a new T shirt/bag and trainer stall opposite Limos restaurant. Very aggressive selling techniques by the traders including looking in peoples carrier bags and telling tourists they should have bought from them as their products were better and cheaper than other traders. My friend asked to try on a pair of shoes and was told only if he was prepared to buy. When he declined the offer, a load of Turkish expletives were burbled out accompanied by a lot of arm waiving by the very rude and unpleasant trader, not the behaviour you would expect in Kalkan.
On the plus side though, the same warm welcome you receive from other shop owners and restaurant staff etc, is still as overwhelming as ever. Had some great food at Sade, Kosk, Fez, Hunkar and Rose but disappointed at Limos. Merkez still our favourite place to sit, chill, have a drink and watch the world go by. We were also impressed with the new Botanic Gardens bar which is something different.
Still love Kalkan but hope the standards you expect from the fabulous people of the town don't diminish.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12425.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: kalkan Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
Glad you had a good holiday hodstar but shame about the pushy trainer stall guy. Is this the new stall just down from the taxi rank and does he sell towels as well? If so I have had dealings with him too on our last day and although he wasn't rude - he was very pushy indeed. I was looking at buying some beach towels for my mother in law but I wasn't impressed with the quality or the price. He just would not let me go and ended up shouting after me as I walked off - 'I'll remember you'! He wasn't threatening; I think he thought it was banter but I thought he was plain cheeky and OH was not impressed either and we both mentioned that we would give this stall a wide berth in the future.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
After so many years of walking past this as a derelict shell, it was good to see it being used but we were a liitle saddened it wasnt a restaurant or bar. This used to be a lovely restaurant with gorgeous views. The market-stall type place with strip lighting is a backward step in our view irrespective of how rude the traders were >:(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
Didn't like the derelict shell....but definitely better than tacky market stall that's there now!

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
Yep, I went out with friends in September and what used to be a lovely traditional pancake restaurant opposite Ali Babas is now a tacky horrible shoe / clothing market which to be perfectly honest is embarrassing for new visitors who look forward to the Kalkan hospitality we have enjoyed.  I can only assume the Council have sold off a short lease until the end of the season but it is really not very nice.

I can only assume that it will not be there next season, thank goodness!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
I dont remember a pancake place there...? I do remember a lovely restaurant with a terrace at the back - cant remember the name of it now. Think there was a travel agents...barbers...? They had to move as the Belediye had plans for the area...then as we know, nothing for years and years until this eyesore :(

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
We also had a very bad experience with these horible people at this stall, they were very rude to my 10 year old grandaughter and at one point actually smacked our 2 year old grandson hard on his bottom and made him cry, I made a pont of telling them they were so rude and they were very confrontational.Not the sort of people you expect in Kalkan and so not the kind of impression Kalkan would want to give to people especially as it is the 1st point of call on the walk into town, I really hope the tacky stall is not there next year. This is the first and only negative comment i have ever made about kalkan as other than this it is a magical place with fantastic local people who are always so friendly and welcoming.

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Kalkan4Ever, you are right it was never a pancake restaurant but there was a Turkish lady at the front of the restaurant who used to sit and make the big puffy bread and maybe pancakes too, so I have always called it the pancake shop!  I am going back a bit mind......we have been going out now for over 20 years and owned for 12 now!  Certainly seen some changes that's for sure, but  the heart of the village is still preserved and still a of of the lovely faces in the local shops who have been around since we have been going out. 

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
I believe the restaurant was called Ilban.  We once met some first time visitors to Kalkan who ate there every one of their 14 nights holiday!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Your right it was Ilban fish terrace that later moved into the place that keeps changing 100 yards up from Kaya that has been a tea and cakes room also a Chinese and Alis fish restaurant to name just a few ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
yes it was Ilban. Arif our neighbour used to own it and his family used to make pancakes in the attatched building. there was talk at one time of becoming a small hotel.  and yes it has to be the eyesore of kalkan now! :(

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »
Ilban....of course. Lovely fish there, I recall, although I'm ashamed to say we never went when it moved up the road  :(
I do remember the puffy bread though, macrefield mom :D

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
I agree, 1 rotton apple though, that's the worry.

We also had a very bad experience with these horible people at this stall, they were very rude to my 10 year old grandaughter and at one point actually smacked our 2 year old grandson hard on his bottom and made him cry, I made a pont of telling them they were so rude and they were very confrontational.Not the sort of people you expect in Kalkan and so not the kind of impression Kalkan would want to give to people especially as it is the 1st point of call on the walk into town, I really hope the tacky stall is not there next year. This is the first and only negative comment i have ever made about kalkan as other than this it is a magical place with fantastic local people who are always so friendly and welcoming.

Offline Darcy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
I remember it as a pancake shop ,A very beautiful Turkish Woman who always had a fresh flower in her hair.She cooked pancakes at the front of the shop.Behind her ,mixing and preparing sat a very elderly lady ...... Mum or Mum in Law I suspect ... .The pancakes were delicious . She was there for a couple of seasons ,must have been eight or nine years ago.
Prior to that,as you say B.L. And K4E. It was a wonderful restaurant.
Two special memories of that ....apart from the food,views and hospitality !! .
It was the first and only place that I have ever heard Willie Nelson played in Turkey  :o...... Lovely . And a young couple eating next to us had just won 3.2 million on the national Lottery  !!!   :o :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
Willie Nelson???.............. isn't that a wrestling hold??? ;D

Offline lindyloubluecat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
Oh God I thouht it was just my imagination. I had the same experience the other day. I dont live here full time but am here a lot and this attitude they have just doesnt go with Kalkan. Best way to get rid of them is just not buy anything.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
Darcy, the lady you are referring to is Hatice, sister of Arif who ran the restaurant. Their mother was the elderly lady.
Their business premises were situated on top of their parents home, which was once a pansyon, the first in Kalkan. It was built onto the side of the hill.
For me, the nighttime view from that terrace restaurant typified Kalkan. It was always so fabulous and very romantic, especially with the moon just hanging over the islands. Sigh.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Darcy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
Thankyou Cuddles. It's always good to find out some history .
We are in Kalkan at the moment ......... I have avoided the stall referred to by always crossing at the top of the road .

Offline Darcy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
Thankyou Cuddles. It's always good to find out some history .
We are in Kalkan at the moment ......... I have avoided the stall referred to by always crossing at the top of the road .

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
Darcy......I am seeing double !! It must be the strong Efes.Having an excellent time in Kalkan at the moment,avoiding the stall and the rain !!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
recycled
I'm going to Kalkan!

Started by dave99 on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 01:33:05 PM
by felicity
xx
Could someone in Kalkan help me please?

Started by Haybo on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 08:11:01 AM
by littlebrowndog

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal