Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 6 go to Kalkan  (Read 15000 times)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
6 go to Kalkan
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
Getting ready to post. Thought I'd warm up by trying to relay how excited we're getting in the few days leading up to our next visit to Kalkan. Today was our last day at work - hurrah. Everything ready to go, well almost - pedicure and highlights tomorrow. That's me not my OH!

A little background of the six of us. There's Richard, my much better other half! Richard and I have been to Kalkan many times over the last 10 years. Our friends - Dina her husband George - it's their 2nd visit. Finally - Jimmi, and his very beautiful wife Rachael. Dina loves althings ancient. George will be the one that everyone remembers - he's in marketing and promotions so loves talking to everyone - but he loves a traditional English breakfast, help, recommendations anyone? We're staying in the Old Town.  Finally Rachael and Jimmi , Kalkan newbies, they are a very glamorous couple and will love the eclectic vibe of Kalkan. We all love food, wine - me a little too much - hic.

Well all the packing's done. That sounds so straightfoward but deciding on the perfect dress for each evening hasn't been easy. Sorry no orange, boring black and navy.  Making sure the OH has remembered his essentials - he has a record of forgeting something critical! No swim shorts one year and the entire washbag (it was the only thing he had to pack!) in May this year which included his contact lenses.

It's my birthday when we're there so hopefully handbag shopping here I come!! 

Looking forward to meeting up again with Mendares at the Oasis, Adem at the Asfiya and Yousef at  Yeni Korsan.

Could someone remind me of the lovely nut man's name?

Only 3 more sleeps.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12418.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: 6 go to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:32:01 PM »
The lovely man selling the nuts is Kenan and he's in Kalkan every evening.
Enjoy your holiday.  The weather is beautiful here at the moment.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
This looks promising! Cant wait to hear what you get up to!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
Chillies for a great English breakfast. But please don't think of Chillies as just a breakfast joint, try them for lunch and dinner . You won't be disappointed.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:45:50 AM »
Thank you janeb, can't wait to hear about your holiday, 3 more sleeps how exciting.  Another place is Fener down at the Harbour for a full English, and they also serve a lovely Turkish breakfast too.  Have a fab time, and please keep us posted?  :D

Jayne

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
...and Cafe Ev, opposite The Market, is great for their Full English. It's so straight forward and clean in there. I used to love their Liver with Grilled Vegetables - and chips (although, not for breakfast!!).   Hope you have a fabulous holiday.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
Cafe Ev best chips in Kalkan.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
Hi janeb - loving your reports already and you're not even there yet! I've just asked OH where best place for English breakfast is and he reckons either chillies, Fener or cafe vita on the Kalamar road. Cafe Leon in the old town is a fab place for breakfast but never sampled a full English there. Our friends swear by Merkez but again we've never sampled them. I can recommend turkish breakfasts at chillies, Fener and cafe vita too. Chillies do a fab menemen and omelettes too.  :)

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
The Doy Doy did a lovely English breakfast for our group of six, when we were in Kalkan in May.
We're heading out to Kalkan again on the 6th October for two weeks. Can't wait! Not long now!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »
My vote for best Full English in Kalkan is Cafe Orange - opposite Merkez Cafe. It is underneath Paprika (ex Ozalp). I'm off on Thursday for a month - see you there!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
That looks good Christina but not sure my OH would want all that salad on his full English. Looks a bit like a BLT on a plate. Similar to my Turkish breakfast at Merkez! An English Turkish food fusion!  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 12:41:03 PM »
That really does look good Christina, but I agree with Lizzie about the salad, can you imagine serving cucumber at home with a fried egg! Talking of which, I've just had 2 lovely boiled eggs, cooked to perfection!!! 4 minutes as Automan recommended!  ;D ;D

Have a fab holiday and if you get time, a post or 2 would be nice  :D :D :D

Jayne

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »
A whole month Christina, how lovely.  Hope your wrist is better.
Haybo

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
We're here. Arrived yesterday afternoon. Our friends fell in love with Klalkan as soon as we turned the corner and saw Kalkan in our its glory. The taxi transfer was great. Yousef driving for Abi tours was so friendly. Supplied us with lovely chilled water. Our friend George commented that he would rather have a cold Efes! An indication of things to come I think. Anyway off we set off only to stop on the outskirts of Dalaman where Yousef dashed out and left us sitting feeling slightly abandoned and a little bewildered. Don't panic! He was soon back with a six pack of cold Efes for us, what a star.

We were all very tired having set off at 3:00 am so decided to settle into to our house in the Old Town which is beautiful with views of the Town beach 2 minutes walk away and the harbour just as close. We unpack and walk the short distance to a small supermarket for some essentials - Wine, beer, crisps etc!!  That was followed by drinks on one of our 3 terraces, then a quick shower and then off to the Moonlight bar for some people watching. We concluded our night with a fantastic meal at the Olive Garden. The food was amazing, I had the Goat casserole wow it was wonderful. The bill, for 2 starters, 2 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of water, 6 mains was 345 Tl. Bumped into Kennan, the nut man, stocked up on some lovely almonds and made our weary way back to our house.

Today will be spent lazying around enjoying the sun. George has set off in search of Fenners for his breakfast. Rachael and Jimmi have ventured out a a walk to explore Kalkan. Dina and I are just relaxing and unfortunately my OH Richard is in bed with a sore throat. Hopefully he will feel better soon, he probably needs something medicinal.

Bye for now.  :)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Hi janeb,

All sounds perfectly normal, acceptable behaviour for a Kalkan first day!  Sounds just lovely.  I went out to Kalkan 2 weeks ago and had a sore throat before I left, so I stocked up on throat lozenges and sprays at the airport and tried to drink lots but it just never left me the whole time I was there.  I even got antibiotics from the pharmacy on Kalamar Road but nothing helped.  I came back with it and eventually got rid of it after nearly 2 weeks!   ??? Never had anything like it before.  It never developed into a cold as it normally does, just hung around for ever!  So I do hope your OH gets shot of his....I tried plenty of alcohol for lubrication but this proved only temporary and the demon virus was back again during the heat of the night.

Hope he gets better soon and look forward to following your lovely reports!

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
Hi Jane,

It sounds as though your friends have caught the Kalkan bug...........which causes you no harm,but just an awful lot of good !
I hope Richard is feeling better very soon.It is not nice feeling like that on holiday.I hope George found Fenner bar for a yummie breakfast...Great spot for people and boat watching.

Great first day and I look forward to catching up with your reports hopefully very soon.

holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407
o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Yay you're in Kalkan  8) 8)

Hope Richard feels better soon, bad luck developing a virus just as you arrive but the pharmacies are fab and I'm sure will sort him out in no time if he pays one of them a visit. Goat casserole  - wow! I've only had goat once (that I know of) and that was in Antigua and was in the form of a yummy curry. I really enjoyed it so I will have to try that next time we are in Kalkan. The Olive Garden seems to be having some very good reviews on here at the mo. Dare I ask where it is? I must have walked past that restaurant with blinkers on!  :D

Enjoy your holiday and I'm very much looking forward to the next installment.  :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
Lizilu - don't know about blinkers but maybe you've been distracted by BSG opposite!

Olive Garden is above Merkez, access through the cafe down the side.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »
Ah - yes! I know where you mean now and you're right! BSG does tempt me to look the other way!!  ;D Thanks Chris-S

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
Hurrah, janeb and party...you're there. Really looking forward to your reports and enjoying your holiday with you. You could always make your own Full English...we do. Try Gourmet Pork on Kalamar Road for your bacon, sausages and black pudding and the supermarkets for the rest. Enjoy!!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
New To Kalkan

Started by Ron on Introduce Yourself

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 09:32:03 AM
by Ron
xx
Kalkan Bay

Started by tigertim on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 11:10:29 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Villa Safran

Views: 6381
By: skauser
Jane