Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: It's Grim in Kalkan  (Read 10396 times)

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: It's Grim in Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
Latest update!:

We never made it up for brekkie yesterday.   The new kitten at Pasha ended up in our room wanting cuddles all night so we were tired the next day.  Instead we had a Chillies delivery for lunch by the pool (yummy chicken wrap and lamacun).

After a good swim and many chapters of Lord of the Rings, we realised we hadn't booked anywhere for dinner.  We hatched a cunning plan to eat early and watch the sunset so headed to town at 6.30pm.
It was quiet and relaxed so we booked a few places to eat over the next few days. 

Kalamaki were fully booked but offered us a lovely table at 7pm if we finished before 9.  No problem there for us so we had a truly wonderful meal.  The cocktails were great and I loved the Kalamaki Special.  If you go, use the loo because it had a brilliant sink system! Haha geek.

We then ended up at Fener for a triple scoop ice cream and some people watching before getting a taxi back to pasha for an early night.

HURRAH. We got up today for brekkie at the Ada Pattiserie.  Hannah had a gigantic Turkish breakfast and I had eggs with Turkish sausage.  Mmm.  Service a bit slow but can't complain at the food.

It is overcast today but the much anticipated thunderstorm never came.  Not sure what to do tonight yet... either a takeaway here, Asian Garry or into town with no reservation

Choices choices

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the update, Bez - and now you have your own pet for your holiday, you lucky things!  And as for choice, what a fabulous choice you have in a fabulous location!!  Enjoy and we look forward to hearing what you choose....

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
If you don't fancy getting over dressed one night try Oz Adana at the top of the village on the roundabout by the taxi rank...(parade of shops include butchers ,sweenytodd the barber and brave tours..it is tucked away in the corner..excellent wholesome food, puffy bread etc..very reasonable and turks eat there which is always a good sign...pick up a menu they deliver and we found it the best of several tried(comes with extra bits too)...didn't sell alcohol when we were there in june but you can soon make up for it elsewhere ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
our favourite places vary each year. Gourmet is excellent and we also love Mussakka, Salt and Pepper and Sofra. So many restaurants...so little time. Look forward to reading your reports, Bez.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
Having visited Kalkan a number of times it's been really good to visit as many Restaurants as possible...

Our favourites - after extensive research (!) are:

Sade
Korsan Fish Terrace
Hunkar Ockabasi

These are all consistently good in our opinion. 

Really enjoyed Isos Kitchen on our first visit this year but were consequently underwhelmed on our 2nd which was a real shame :(

Not massively impressed by the harbour side restaurants, we've tried them at least once each time we've visited and have found then to be (relatively) expensive and the food not a patch on places away from the harbour. 

Some of the best food we've eaten has been on day trips on boats out of the harbour, particularly Pala Boat and Neptune; simple fresh home cooking and amazing value given the overall experience.
Lou :)

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting. Had a lovely few days so now update time.

Saturday night was rainy so we chose to hide away with a takeaway.  Unfortunately no where wanted to deliver in the drizzle... Our favourite Chillies laughed and said they don't come out when the road is wet.  In the end the only place I found to deliver was Kalkan Kebab but we had a terrible experience.  They forgot all the sauces and charged me 80TL instead of the 68TL the menu said it should be.  Really annoyed.

Sunday saw us return to Chillies for lunch as the tavuk durum is amazing (chicken wrap) with lime and coriander in it.  Sunday evening we had no reservation again but headed to Samphire and were given a lovely table.  The restaurant is nicely done up and we had great service.  The starter of apple and cheese was a tasty treat and Hannah had the fish delight which she liked.  My lamb was lovely but didn't come with almonds and prunes as described.  Still we enjoyed it!

Monday was the day my in-laws arrived but they had a 4 hour transfer after Diana travel messed things up.  They got in at 6 and had a nap before the best meal at Gourmet. They looked after us and everything was yummy especially my marble steak.  We rebooked for our last night.

The in-laws love Pasha so much they just booked for May 2015...

Today we went back for brekkie at Ada Pattiserie with a strong Turkish coffee and a maltepe! Heaven.  Then a day by the pool reading more lotr (frodo is heading into mordor as we speak...)
This evening we tried Korean Fish Terrace and had amazing fresh fish. Very good with live music which was a nice surprise.

Only issue was with Salt and Pepper. As we walked past the guy stood outside came over and asked me why we missed our reservation.  We hadn't made one but had spoken to him yesterday about coming later in the week... He wasn't joking and said he had waited for us.  He was pretty rude which put me off going there in future.

I then went down to see Ali on Zeus to confirm our private boat trip tomorrow.  He invited me for a beer and a chat with his friends which was lovely.  Can't wait for tomorrow at sea!

More tomorrow!

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »
What a fantastic few days we have had. 

Picking up where we left off:

Early Wednesday morning we headed to the harbour and boarded Zeus.  We had a private booking and spent a memorable and peaceful day at sea with Captain Ali.  He serves the best lunch and looked after us, even taught us all to fish!

That evening we popped to Kalamaki and had yet another lovely meal.  The food is our favourite here even if the service is slow.  The nicer restaurants seem very busy but the quality of food isn't reduced.

On Thursday we hit the market.  I love haggling but can't understand why the stall holders are so in your face.  Surely more people would browse and buy if they left you alone?! Also the prices start higher than town so haggle hard. I got a 90tl watch for 50tl and 5 olive soaps for 10tl.

After a pool relax we went to Paprika for a clay pot.  It was very nice but they squeeze too many people upstairs so it feels cramped.   I always promise Orlando I will eat here tho.

On Friday we rented a car and headed to the ruins of Patara.  Then we ate trout in the beautiful Yakapark Farm.  The drive is beautiful and it is so peaceful there.  4 people eating 3 courses came to 120tl.
Then we went to Saklikent in the freezing water before heading home.

That evening we started in Botanik for cocktails mmm! Before a cheeky smaller meal at Merkez Cafe.  They do really good stuff there. 
I won't lie,  after dinner we went SHOPPING!  I would like some t shirts but not sure which I like best.

Last night we had a relax day but us boys went to watch the footy and have a shave.  I love getting shaved here and will miss it when I'm back home doing it myself.
Later we went to Botanik again and tried Kosk.

I must rave about Kosk! He gave us free drinks and mezze but we had the best service there,   it is open spaced with police and attentive service.  Plus the food was great.  Try the château brand!  Best steak here!
The puddings were great too!

More to follow!

P.S does anyone know how much the fake Lacoste t shirts are?

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
Just been visited by the in laws! My mother in law treated herself to a lovely bag from Misty Mays.  The relaxed shopping in the Old Town is much better than the market and more to come tomorrow.

I'm already looking forward to my cocktail at Botanik.  The main guy is great and has been teaching me Turkish.  Arkadaşim is my latest word friend!

Just another note on Köşk.  I had preconceptions about the place being bad but I'm so happy how nice it was! Please do try it.

Has anyone been to Accessories which is near Belgins kitchen? Gorgeous shop with little trinkets too.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the repots Bez, sounds like you're having a fab time. We must give Kosk another try next  time we are out too.  :)

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:17:28 PM »
Sad to say I am home after an amazing holiday.

Blog to follow...

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »
Oh no....where did that time go? Sounds as though you had a great stay and looking forward to reading your blog. Thanks Bez :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Leaving the harbour

Views: 3769
By: cer
Bex & Tom in Sofra