Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Like Father, Like Son...  (Read 1941 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Like Father, Like Son...
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
We pulled up outside of Manchester Terminal 2, Door 2: Departures Monarch. The delight on Oli’s face was just so amazing, heart-warming and uplifting. Beth’s too, plus a couple of friends, going away for 2 weeks R&R to a place that has meant so much.
I hadn’t been here before; no, not the Airport, but wishing “Goodbye, have a fantastic holiday!” to your son, going to stay in your piece of paradise without you. But it had been a tough decision and at the end of the day, it would be really good for him to have that 1st serious holiday without Mum & Dad – albeit in the best place they had ever stayed (and one year to the day they had got back from their last, family, holiday there).
I smiled (I think) and said all the right things and pulled away as the revolving doors engulfed 4 friends on a well-deserved break. I saw the signs Exit, M60, turned up the stereo and swallowed hard to Sam Smith.
It was weird at home, following Flight Tracker, “go to gate, boarding, last call”. Then the final text “On our way – love you!”
The last few hours had been all in his stride for Oli, and almost total panic for Mum & Dad. More sunscreen?  Paracetemol?  What about ice bags? Oli flipped through the recipes from last year and checked a few ingredients. Same for the Cocktails, Woo Woo, Sex on the Beach and we reminisced of our hours – many hours – on the terrace of Villa Kismet, and that tremendous view. And soon it was to be all theirs, again.
I logged on to EK and flipped through the Gallery. It lifted my spirits as I felt them lift away from the runway in Manchester and prayed for the next text in 4 or so hours.
Mehmet at Jasmine Coiffeur answered on the third ring, recognising the name on his mobile. “Steve, where are you?!” 
“I am in the UK….I know…..don’t go there!”
I asked if Oli could come for a shave and a haircut at 11am tomorrow, Monday, and so it was booked in. We chatted, and for a while I felt even closer to Kalkan.  “Maybe next year Mehmet…..”
Mustafa from Café Vita, responded on Face Book, liking the comments from Oli, having his first beer in Terminal 2. A small world indeed.
Abi Travel should be waiting with their sign held high and there was no chance of not knowing where the villa was. And the taxi driver would, for sure, help them with their cases up the steep steps to Villa Kismet’s terrace.  And there would be that view down the hill, across the beach and out to sea. What else could a father think and worry about?
I thought, I bet The Boys manage a couple of beers in Foto, whilst waiting for the pizzas; and it feels like only yesterday when we kick-started our family holiday in that way, too. I poured another Vodka and waited for the text.
Dalaman Arrivals said “Due 10:00pm” as the text went off.
“Landed, Dad. Will log on at the next wi-fi – we are all off to Foto”.
And I felt that my holiday could now begin, as I poured just one more small Vodka.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12377.0

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Like Father, Like Son...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
What a lovely surprise logging onto to EK tonight and reading your report Antler, and am sure Oli will have a fabulous time in Paradise, and what a good start for them, Fotos Pizza  :D  Hopefully there will be another holiday blog to look forward to reading now.  :D

Jayne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
I feel a blog by proxy coming on.....! Feel their excitement already, loving their first holiday drink picture on Facebook too. We all know that wonderful feeling just before the holiday starts and you kick back and relax in the airport with a bit of alcohol to ease the nerves...just me?
I know they will have a fantastic time, antler. But do keep us posted if you can :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
Well, I have been really bad at keeping you posted, but did manage a pic of Oli & Beth on Kalkan beach late today. They ahd been to Adam's for lunch quite early and what a wonderful way to end your day, on Kalkan Beach  - before a romantic meal for 2 at Mussakka.

The last 9 days have beem amazing for me (and pretty special for them!) and I have been living every minute, cathcing up with their whereabouts on email, FB & imsg.

In addition to their meals at Villa Kismet, Fenner and Vita were the Cafes that featured frequently.

Will give you some of their bests, shortly...

Steve

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
Oh I couldn't think of a better place for a 1st holiday. They will have an amazing time.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Father's day

Started by clara 50 on The Everything Else Area!

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 08:27:37 PM
by clara 50
xx
FATHER'S DAY

Started by clara 50 on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 09:29:04 AM
by clara 50
xx
Antler's Day Nine: Father's Day

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 09:59:11 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Jo & Rick at Adem's

Views: 74
By: antler
Omars 20/9/07