Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne  (Read 52355 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
« on: August 03, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
Firstly, I apologise in advance that it has taken me most of the week to get round to writing our holiday blog, but here goes!

We took off from Gatwick last Monday or should I say the early hours of Tuesday due to the delays after the storm in the morning. In tow we had what we have called "our contraption" which was actually 2 sun chairs, a slow cooker and a rice cooker! all expertly wrapped with industrial cling film! Bob was chuffed to bits with his wrapping, my daughter and myself and others were dubious whether it would make it, but hey ho it did and I am sat on one of the chairs as I type this on our balcony looking out towards Mouse Island!We finally arrived at 8am, and were stopped at Dalaman Airport, contraption was scanned and all was fine, and we were on our merry way to Fethiye where we stayed at the Yacht Boutique Hotel for a couple of days, fabulous hotel, we visited Calis Beach on the water taxi and ate at a lovely restaurant called Mozaic Bache which had been recommended to us.  Food superb as well as the setting. 

We left on Wednesday tea time for our last leg of our journey to Kalkan. We arrived around 6pm, yes to that view, the taxi driver stopped so we could take photos, and we felt so happy to be here again! We settled ourselves in, opened a bottle of wine and watched the sunset, and then went off to town, familiar faces we saw within 10 minutes, and Kalkan seemed buzzing.  We ate at Hunkars, and as always, they delivered! Same friendly faces, oh how it felt good to be back.

Thursday was spent doing odd jobs and shopping, and then lazing round the pool, and Bob of course, loving to cook, wanted to try out the new slow cooker! so lamb it was! and I have to say it was delicious!

Friday - Pina X here we come! we so love the boat trips, and they are a big part of our holiday, but when we woke up the wind was blowing! I thought lovely a nice breeze, not really thinking about our trip! but wooooooo, it was a bit choppy to say the least! Christina was booked to go as well, so was lovely to spend the day with her too.  We went over to Fernez Bay where we stayed for most of the day, and once there it was calmer, and we swam and chilled, it was a lovely day, and as always the food on Pina X was amazing! We then went back across to Frank Bay around 4pm and the sea had definitely calmed down. We are booked again next Friday, so hopefully it won't be so windy!

Saturday - We wandered down to the beach, gorgeous day, a little wind, but very hot! Spent a few hours there, usual thing, Sweetcorn Boy as we call him was there, even taller this year, he is 18 now he was telling us.  The beach looked lovely, really clean, they come round collecting the rubbish, the sunbeds are 10TL this year for 2 with an umbrella, and you get cushions for them now! so comfy, we worked it out around £2.80!!! so cheap.  Around 4pm we slogged back up the hill! trying to do some exercise, but goodness me it was a slog yesterday afternoon in the heat. Back at the apartment, Bob prepares his 2nd slow cooker delight, to leave cooking while we go out for the evening.  Chicken Guvac, recipe that Kadir from Kaya gave him yesterday together with basil for it from their restaurant! We quickly got ready and back down the hill we went to Fener for the EK meet up, and am so glad we did because we met Haybo and her family, Chris the Spark and Bernie and Christina, we had a lovely evening, and was so nice to meet everyone. We left around 10pm, with me refusing to walk that hill again, so a Taxi it was!!! We arrived home to the smell of our lovely Chicken Guvac, which we devoured in no time at all!!!

Sunday - as I am writing this, I am people watching too, people walking down to the beach already! not even 9am yet! We are visiting friends today for lunch, and then plan on an afternoon round the pool. 

Hope I haven't bored you all with my blog! but the first time I have really done a proper one! so hopefully now I have started, I will continue! We are off to stay at the Dream Hotel tomorrow, so will be posting from there. 

J&B

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12296.0

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Re: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Lovely report, really enjoyed reading it Jayne - thanks for posting and keep it coming!
Enjoy Sunday in Kalkan! :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks Jayne......I love reading about other people's holidays.....hope you carry on having a lovely relaxed time.
I'm very excited to hear that there are cushions on the sun beds on the beach now....all of them? All the time? I love the beach and the only reason we don't spend more time there is the beds are so uncomfortable.....a cushion would transform my holiday!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
Yay! About time too  ;)

What a fab time you are having, sounds idyllic Jayne. I want that guvec recipe please!
This time next week...

Thanks for reporting back and see you soon guys  8)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »
Magic blog -  keep em coming!!

Offline Sallyjane

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
I loved reading your report Bob & Jayne although new to posting on the forum I read it daily and with my fourth holiday to Kalkan in less than 5 weeks I cannot wait to be back in my favourite place!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Yay, well done Jayne...you did it!  We had a lovely evening too- finished off with a gorgeous steak at alternatif.

Meis was great today, but I have hurt my leg climbing back into the little boat that takes you to the blue caves.....hop-a-long Haybo I am now!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »
Now you've started Jayne you have to carry on, lovely report sounds really good. You did the reverse to us, we go to Calis & water taxi across to Fethiye, they were doing a lot of work  when we were there in May although our free parking seems to have disappeared now. Look forward to hearing about more adventures.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Thanks guys, getting the hang of this blogging now! although not easy with this laptop that we keep here, no mouse, just some little red rubber dot, which looks like a nipple in the middle of the keyboard! Bob is infuriated by me, because I can't manoevre it around the screen, however much I try!!! so am guessing with the 2 Bacardi and Cokes I have just drank watching the sun go down, I have no chance!!!

Haybo, I am so sorry to hear about your minor mishap today, hope all is well and you are okay tomorrow.  Hope you enjoyed Meis though, it is beautiful isn't it? Pompeylalbie we really enjoyed that water taxi trip and the swim at Calis was so lovely, the sea was very warm!We couldn't believe how cheap it was over there, 5TL return each on the boat, and lunch 10TL for a chicken wrap with salad and chips including a drink!!! Bob paid an extra 4TL to have a large beer! Talking of food, we are on the rest of Chicken Guvac tonight as he made enough to feed an army! We have been to the new Bakers by Yali and they do the most amazing bread so will be sampling that with the casserole!

J&B

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
Fab Jayne!! So happy you're getting into blogging as I'm really enjoying reading these reports.
Maybe you should be having a slippery nipple cocktail rather than a Bacardi and coke!  ;)
Enjoy your evening and your chicken guvec. It sounds divine  :)
I'm looking forward to reading more of your exploits.  ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
Good to hear a bit more detail about your adventures Bob and Jayne! Just moseying around the forum to see what's up over there! Planning a trip for next September - no more school holiday sweltering for us tee hee!  >:D >:D >:D 8)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
Nice one Jane! The EK meet up at Fener at sunset last night was a delight. Afterwards we had a livener at Adam and Eve's, then across to the Asian Gate for a fab chicken balti. Ali, one of the waiters there is marrying my new friend Helen on a flower and tulle bedecked Sea Bella in a couple of weeks. Anyone in KK at that time should look out for it in the harbour. Off to Adem's now for our last night dinner. See you at the Dream tomorrow Jayne.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »
Well done, Jayne...I'm proud of you for posting and also immensely grateful  :)
So two things both the cushions and sweet corn were missing at the beach when we were there in June. BH loves the sweet corn and we have packed butter in our cool bag for the last two seasons and the boys have not been on the beach at all in June - although we did see one of them on the boats (a career progression we thought...). We always take our own cushions to the beach so news of cushioned beds is marvellous....more shoe space for next year!!!
If you can keep it up using your red nipple  :o  that would be fantastic....!
Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 05:58:32 AM »
Well, it's day 2 of my blog, so much so, I even woke in the night thinking about it, how sad am I!!!! Well it is 7.30am, the washing machine is on, Bob's still sleeping and here I am, sat on the balcony with my first coffee of the day, feeling like Shirley Valentine looking out at the calm sea towards Mouse Island!

Sunday - we had a lovely day, swam in our pool in the morning and then out for lunch which was lovely, catching up with some lovely people, and had a swim in their pool too, well I have to be honest I did, but unfortunately I forgot to put Bob's swim shorts in, so he had to sit and watch!!! we returned back around 5pm and yes had yet another swim to cool off, it is seriously getting hotter here.  As we were watching the sun go down, Kadir from Kaya walked by and did his Tommy Cooper impression and stopped for a chat, what lovely people they are.

We were staying in to finish off the remainder of the mountain of chicken guvec Bob had expertly made the day before, I thought I would help, he normally likes to keep me out of the kitchen, because if you knew me, you would soon realise that I am somewhat accident prone! yes within 5 minutes of trying to assist, I had managed to cut my finger with the bread knife! only a little bit of blood was shed, but nothing like a month ago, when I decided to make some Tzatziki at home, and almost sliced the top of my finger off with a mandolin! Anyway, sorry off topic, I then decided best to go and sit on the balcony with my Bacardi and Coke and let Bob take over! I had purchased a family size bag of Lays Crisps earlier (my favourite) and it was a good excuse to open them! even though I never eat crisps at home, there is something about them when on holiday!

Dinner was served around 10pm, and I have to say it was as tasty as the night before, it was my turn to wash up, my finger had finally stopped bleeding, so up I got and yes, walked straight into the fly screen! while Bob just sat there shaking his head as he does, and me laughing out loud!!!!

Monday - Off the stay at the Dream Hotel today, am looking forward to it, have heard it is very nice there.  Need to ring Adem too to book his restaurant for Wednesday, we love to go up there, such a lovely family and nice place to eat and see the fabulous view.  If anyone hasn't been, we would thoroughly recommend it.

One thing for sure is that we have almost completed our To Do list, and can now enjoy our holiday.  We went to the Bank on Thursday, queued for about half an hour waiting patiently for our number to be called, when we finally got to the desk, we were told we couldn't do anything as we didn't have our passports.  So off we went back to the apartment to get them, and returned in the afternoon.  The Bank was even busier, so we took another number and sat and waited and waited and waited ....... thinking why are there so many people, but it was because of the 5 day holiday the Banks had been closed and the world and his wife were in there, hence the 1 hour wait! OH definitely needed an Efes after that expedition!!!

K4E, glad you liked my blog, I only said to Bob last night, I wonder if you have read it, then woke this morning and you had posted!  :D

Shirley Valentine is going to make another coffee now.  Enjoy your day whatever you are doing and I will be doing my blog from the Dream Hotel tomorrow!!!

J&B

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:04:03 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
You're really getting into this now aren't you Shirley? Oops, Jayne! I am off to work now so rather suspect you will have a more enjoyable day than me....have fun  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »
it all sounds wonderful - cut fingers and fly screen butting apart  ;)
The best time of the day is that early morning calm, sitting wherever you are in Kalkan taking in your special view with your choice of cuppa - mine being tea.
How funny about the crisps - the only time I eat crisps is on holiday too. Several bags are consumed to make up for lost time ;D
Loving your blogs, Shirley...keep them up if you can and let us know about Dream :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
I can see I've got some stiff competition from Shirley  >:D

At least the pressure's off for next week.  ;D

Well done Jayne, I'm really enjoying your blogs and very happy that sweetcorn boy is back too. Oh I'm so excited...

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
I'm excited for you too, Lizilu. Oh and the pressure is still on you for a blog - don't let us down :)

BTW B&J are you planning on trying Pink Beach Club this visit? Be interested in your take on it if you are.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
My third day of blogging, well here goes!

Monday - Day to leave the apartment and move to the Dream Hotel!

First mishap of the day today was that somehow I managed to wrap my phone in the sheets and put in the washing machine, all I can say is thank goodness I heard a clunk as I threw them all in the machine, and thought what on earth is that! and there amongst the sheets was my phone! I am so relieved I hadn't switched it on.

Anyway, we packed up, had the last of the eggs boiled for breakfast (trying to be a little bit healthy) and off we went in the midday sun to the hotel.  On arrival first impressions were good, but it could only get better, the hotel is lovely with a beautiful view, room lovely and a swimming pool that is huge.  I thought sunbeds on the beach with cushions were fab, but the cushions on these sunbeds are like what you have on your sofa at home! All we can say is that we are "Loving the Dream, and Living the Dream"!

We had a quick swim in the pool and set off into town.  First stop was Abi Tours to book a trip to Kekova on Saturday, so that is ticked off our list of things to do now.  By this time it was so hot we decided to go down to the beach for a swim, and realised when we got there I hadn't got the towels, oh well, never mind, we were going in! We quickly launched ourselves in the sea, and I mean launched!!! and my goodness it was bliss, as yesterday was the hottest day so far! We then sat under the trees above the beach to dry off, it felt like paradise.

Back up through town we went, Bob wanting to have his first haircut.  He stopped off at the Shack and I went  back to the hotel for another swim! Met up with Christina who was at the Dream Hotel waiting for her transfer that evening to the airport to go home. 
We waited for Bob to return and after an hour or so, he appeared with his new hair cut. He said that it took as long doing his ears and eyebrows as it takes for a haircut at home! but he felt good as had a neck massage also included in the price 20TL!!!

We said goodbye to Christina, had been lovely catching up with her the past few days, and off she went to get her taxi.

Up to our room we went and watched the sunset from the balcony.  We had decided to go to Adana Ocakbasi for dinner.  I showered and when I got out of the shower said to OH, what's that smell have you been spraying the Deet, to which he replied no that's my Paco Rabanne after shave! Sorry Bob!

We had a lovely meal and would thoroughly recommend it.  Lovely rooftop terrace as well, and also right next to the hotel so didn't have to venture far.   

Today is Tuesday, not sure what we are doing today, possibly the Beach Club, my first thing is that I have promised myself I will be swimming 10 lengths of the pool before breakfast every morning, so am off to do that right now. 

Our friends arrived yesterday, so we are meeting them this evening, and have booked Gourmet for dinner, haven't been before so we are looking forward to that.

K4E, I don't think we will go to the Pink Beach Club, but will certainly take the Dolmus one day to Patara though.

Lizilu, not long now before your all here!  :D

To be continued.......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:01:33 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »
I love that Bob's Paco Rabanne smells like Deet....lets hope it keeps the mossies at bay as well as the women :-*
Are the rooms at Dream self catering..?
We've noticed the pool when we've been on one of our walks - does look fab there - enjoy your stay. Are you there for the rest of your visit?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Better late than never

Started by BevJam on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:08:38 PM
by Chucky
xx
Better late than Never

Started by macrefield mom on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 01:43:27 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Late food

Started by Mike on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 01:34:27 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
hot enough late September?

Started by jules on Weather

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 02:48:41 PM
by jules

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal