Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne  (Read 52832 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
You must try the chocolate avalanche at gourmet. I know you said you were trying to eat healthily but have the night off tonight and enjoy your meal.

Poor Bob smelling like DEET, K4E you may be onto something here. Jayne, you must see if Bob gets any bites every time he wears it and if not, douse yourself in it. How are the bites going?

Looking forward to tomorrow's episode already.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
It'll be Paco Rabanne all round if it works... :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
Maybe I'll stock up at the market!  ;)  ;)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
Well here I am again! It's Wednesday, where is the time going?

Firstly I would like to say the Mozzie bites aren't so bad, and thinking about it, I haven't been bitten for a couple of days, so maybe the Paco Rabanne is the answer  ;D ;D ;D!

Tuesday - what a busy and hot day it was! started off, first breakfast in the Dream! lovely that it was, typically Turkish, and a case of "how do you like your eggs", yesterday it was an omelete, with mixed peppers.  Very nice indeed.

After breakfast, off to Kalkan Beach Club, surprisingly when we arrived at the Harbour we found out that there were now 2 boats ferrying people across there.  The smaller of the boat arrived, and we all piled in, luckily enough the cut off was as they let Bob board! thank goodness for that I thought, as I was safely on board before him! We arrived around 11am, and it was already very busy, we were given a sunbed and off we went to go in the sea to cool off, we had a lovely few hours, met up with a lady we met there last year, and itwas fab.  By around 3.30pm, it was so hot, no breeze yesterday, so we decided to return to Kalkan.  The bigger of the ferries took us back, and still the old Captain driving the boat, doesn't speak a word of English, but always so happy to see you! We love that beach park.  Still 5TL each for the ferry, and you then get the money deducted from your food and drinks bill and no charge for sun beds either.

We got back to Kalkan and boy was it hot hot hot! we slowly meandered through the town up the hill! and I mean meander very very slowly, stopping off at BSG to look at the Long Champ bags, I have an order for 5! and they are only 30TL each and every colour you can imagine.  So hot though, couldn't stand around, so will get them later in the week.  Stopped off at Korsan Meze and had a fresh lemonade and mint slush puppy! absolutely gorgeous, would thoroughly recommend one from there, the best I have ever had. Back to the hotel, Bob wasn't keen about going in the pool, but I thought I must just have a quick swim, it was like a hot bath, so quickly retreated to the room with the air con on!

We had a bit of a problem with Bob's shirts, all washed, but not ironed, as my pet hate, decided to bring them to the hotel, had checked there was an iron here, yes they said! On arrival there was an iron, but it is a travel one the size of a small lettuce leaf!!! have you tried ironing shirts with one that small! I have spoken to reception and they are going to iron the shirts for 2TL each, bargain!!! pretty chuffed when I told OH, and I quickly went back with all 12 to give them before they change their mind!

We were off to Gourmet last night, our friends had arrived yesterday and staying at Lykia Gardens, and we were meeting them at 7pm.  They have never been to Kalkan before, and within 24 hours they are hooked and will definitely be returning! Now what a surprise!!! We had a fabulous meal and were looked after so well by the people there. Our menu consisted of:   2 x Marble Steaks for us girls, and it was amazing, you cook it yourself at the table, so tender and tasty. We both had the extra chips, now what I had promised myself, no chips this holiday!!! Bob had Steak with Jamieson Whisky Sauce, thanks Automan for the recommendation he says! and our friend had steak  with Blue Cheese and Walnut sauce.  Dessert! 2 x Chocolate Avalanche, 1 chocolate cheesecake and 1 of the local desserts, I think it was an almond something or other, but not sure, as was only paying attention to my chocolate avalanche!!! We were so full, even not having starters, thank goodness we didn't! They do bring you hot rolls and vegetarian sushi with the hottest wasabi I have ever tasted! 2 bottles of red and 2 glasses of white wine later, we were all done! It was getting quite late by the time we had finisihed our meal, our friends were walking back along the track to the Lykia Gardens, and we were off up the hill, but hey ho, no Bob (in his new roll as the Kalkan Tour Guide) insisted on showing them the town, we walk down up and around and he gave them the Tour! Bless him, but by this time probably midnight now, I was done in.  We finally crawled back to the Dream, dripping wet as if we had been for a swim! but what a lovely night we had.  Would I like a nightcap was the last I remember, yes please, but I didn't manage to even finish it.  He said please can you have a lie in tomorrow, we are on holiday, of course I will was the last thing I muttered before drifting off to sleep, but no I still wake at 6.30am, doesn't matter what time I go to bed! Anyway, at least Shirley gets to sit on the balcony with that view, doing my blog!!!

Anyway must close now, we aren't sure what we are doing today, tonight we have booked to go to Adem's Restaurant with Haybo, so looking forward to spending the evening with her and her family again. Will check back in tomorrow.

Just one more thing to add, in our hotel foyer there is a set of scales, presumably for weighing cases on! but I am tempted every time I walk past to hop on! as the week is progresing, it is a case of Do I, or Don't I? What do you think?

Shirley x
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:25:09 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
What a great report...I must get on with mine! Jayne - I wake up at 6:20 regardless....what is that all about! Haven't ventured outside yet...sat on sofa with a blanket over me....that is (as son would say ) messed up! See you later x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 07:15:14 AM »
Another lovely report Jayne......definitely don't get on the scales....holidays, especially in Kalkan, and scales just don't go together!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
Great report  Jayne, sounds like you had a good day yesterday.  Just heard from Chris this morning and the apartment is booked and deposit paid. A whole year to go though. Don't go near those scales!!! Must try that Korsam Meze slush puppy, sounds fabulous. Have fun today!  :) :) :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Another fab report Shirley. We've missed out on these reports for years - so glad you decided to take the plunge this year  ;D

That's a result re Bob's shirts and handy to know they have an ironng service.

Well I'm really on countdown now, I'm as slippery as an eel having epilady'd myself for 3 hours last night. Let me tell you I needed vodka medicinally to help with the pain but it was worth it!  ;D

Have a great day today and enjoy Adem's tonight.  8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
Loving these reports, Shirley. What would you normally be doing on those 6am early risings...? Is this not the perfect solution for insomniacs?
Those scales are just to taunt you or to weigh your cases. DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALES!! Do not give in, look the other way. We went to an all inclusive in Mexico a couple of years ago and I found scales in the wardrobe and despite never jumping on them at home I thought it would be enlightening to see what I weighed....big mistake. HUGE! Although my clothes were starting to strain a bit at the seams, seeing it in black and white was depressing...and affected my eating and drinking choices (plus gym time ::)) for the rest of the stay. Worry about silly things like that when you get back to UK.
Glad you enjoyed Gourmet. Sakir is one of the best chefs in Kalkan IMO and really cares about food and creating innovative dishes - always pops out at the end of the night to see what those remaining have enjoyed their food. Love the chocolate fondue dessert here...delicious :)
Not long for you now Lizilu....lucky you :-*

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments, Skunk that is fab you have booked again for next year, get that Count Down to Kalkan app on your phone and you will be here before you know it! and Lizzie go careful with the epilady! and hurry up and get here!! K4E I definitely have insomnia even on holiday but this is really making up for it! May not post until Friday though now, as off early to the market tomorrow! haven't told OH yet though!!!!

Laters ...........    x

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Oh boy what a lovely report can't wait September 2nd and three lovely weeks to look forward to. Slightly nervous after last year but  am positive all will be fine. Moved house three weeks ago and on my third nervous breakdown. Didnt realise how much rubbish we had accumulated. Still managed to find the cases and will buy any thing still buried in the house move.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 05:22:56 AM »
Gunaydin

I know I wasn't going to do my blog today, as market day, but far too early to set off yet!

Wednesday - another lovely day in Paradise!

Started off with another lovely breakfast, but not eggs this morning! normal Turkish fayre, with strawberry yoghurt on the side with fresh apricots, very nice indeed, but not being keen on olives, honey and the pinkish meat that is served up I discretely put on Bob's plate! he said he will be sitting on another today if I keep loading up his plate! am sure he is only joking!!!!!

After breakfast, we went off down to the beach, only 10am and there were quite a few people there already, we chose our beds (and cushions) just along from Kleo Bar right at the front by the water.  It was fairly breezy but very warm.  We watched the boats leaving the harbour (we love that time of the morning). There is a new man selling fruit this year that we hadn't noticed before, plums and cherries featured yesterday, but still full from breakfast, we decided we didn't want any.  Sweetcorn boy then appeared, and went straight to a family of 6 people and sold 6 straight away, boy does he put a lot of salt on them! We went off to the Pinar Cafe at the end of the beach for a drink, really nice, and so cheap, we couldn't believe how cheap! it is very clean too and well worth popping along if you are at the Town beach and want a snack or drink at lunchtime. After 45 minutes or so, and after Bob had taken rather a lot of photos of the beautiful surroundings, we noticed that they were filming on the beach, was tempted to wander nearby them, to see if I could muscle in, but OH wouldn't let me!!  ;D so off we went back to the sun beds (such a hard life), by this time the wind had picked up, and some of the portable umbrellas were blowing down the beach, but after about an hour the wind dropped and all was fine again.  Another few dips in the sea, a little snooze, and back up the hill to the Dream we went.

When we got back, all of Bob's shirts were neatly ironed and hung up in our room, now that is what I call service. The thing is what one would he choose to wear tonight! I hung the towels over the balcony to dry, bit of a mistake half an hour later one had blown off onto the roof below, after lying precariously on our balcony and poking my arm thought the pillars I managed to retrieve it! Bob appeared, still shaking his head with me laid on the floor, he muttered something like, I am not even going to ask!!!

Adem was collecting us at 7pm, so time for a quick nap, shower and an iced cold Bacardi and Coke, and we were ready to go.  Bang on time, Adem appeared in his van, complete with Haybo and her family, and another family, and off we set to the Restaurant. He had all the windows open in the van, and how lovely it was with the breeze blowing as we drove up to the restaurant.  We sat on the top table looking at the view and the sun setting, but boy was it hot! We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and it was lovely to see Haybo and her family again, the food was wonderful, I had saute mushrooms to start and the shrimp guvec with rice and vegetables for main, and I shared some home made chips! No chips on holiday I had promised myself, and  now 2 nights in a row! Bob had a starter mushroom and cheese guvec and mousaka for main course.  It was all beautifully cooked and we will definitely be going again. When we visited Adem's at Easter, we saw his day old baby chicks, and they are now fully grown and once it got dark they were perched up in the trees out of the way of Mr Foxy Loxy! 

Adem chauffered us all safely back to our accommodation after dinner, we said goodbye to Haybo and made our way back to our room.  No nightcap for us tonight, we were so tired, but had enjoyed another lovely day in our little bit of Paradise!

Looking forward to the market today, and I really am going to be like Shirley Valentine tonight, we are planning a picnic on the beach with a nice chilled bottle of wine to watch the sun go down.  Probably won't have the table and chair setting, but we are looking forward to it.  Will report back tomorrow!

Just a couple of other things to add this morning, I am really getting used to my mini laptop and the little red dot now! it's easy when you know how! and the Mozzies were out last night, and got us again!  Must be the change from Paco Rabanne to Hugo Boss!

J (SV)                   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:04:36 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
Morning g Jayne! Thanks for inviting us to Adams.. We had a lovely evening, but wow! How hot was it! I suppose it didn't help that hubby's meal was on fire for 10 minutes at the table and so was mine and M's.

Trying to rally the troops to get to the market...like herding cats! :P

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
Shirley......what a lovely post! Your day at the beach sounds just perfect.....I just love days like that, basically doing nothing, where our only concern is what to wear for dinner and is it time for a dip, drink, snooze yet?
A picnic on the beach is a great idea, enjoy!  :angel:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
An unexpected treat....a post I wasn't expecting! There it was like a free starter or a brandy on the house :) :)
Like Babs says, those days of doing nothing and snoozing - although I struggle to sleep in the day but BH's snoring in the pool on the water hammock can be heard in Akbel - dressing for dinner, deciding where to go for drinks....aaahh wish I was there with you.
Cant wait to hear all about the beach picnic at sunset....! We love a beach picnic but have only ever have daytime ones - BH would love an evening one and I would probably spend my time worrying about bugs.
Sooohhh looking forward to your next installment :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
Sounds like the perfect beach day Shirley. Meanwhile back at our ranch I have got a new S5 phone but can't move any of my games or apps onto it from Facebook. I have to go back to the store and get them to do it apparently. So lost all my whats app messages etc, although I have kept the old phone for the moment until I get it all sorted out.  Hope the market was fun and not too hot ??? ??? ??? :o - I always find it's baking by 9am. Picnic sounds a great idea but don't forget all your mozzie treatments! Ah well, it's off to Tesco for me soon. Look forward to the next instalment!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Smashing report Jayne very interesting. Glad someone else is as accident prone as me. Always cut fingers and bruised shins. Only last weekend went out sunday afternoon to watch a singer. Club packed so had to perch on a tiny stool, someone banged into me and I fell ar**backwards on to the carpet, felt a right fool even though I felt a bit shook up, still getting over a bust pelvis which was yet another falling accident down stairs, think I'd make a good female Norman Wisdom. The bedclothes and phone thing happened to me in hospital when the nurse changed  the sheets, My OH tracked it down to the laundry across the way, using his phone before they were about to go into the machine, whew. Keep reporting keeps me entertained until our trip, less than a month now, bring it on.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
Hi Shirley.  :)
K4E is so right. That extra report was just like getting a little unexpected freebie and it was a thoroughly enjoyable read and just what I needed after a mammoth afternoon packing.  I'm looking forward to reading about your romantic sunset beach picnic. Just make sure it's not too romantic  as we don't want any 9 and 1/2 weeks scenarios on the town beach  :o ;D if Bob starts humming "yellow submarine", throw a glass of cold water over him!!!! ;D
Seriously, have a lovely evening. X  :-*

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 05:11:16 AM »
Merhaba - it's 7am, I am a bit late this morning!!! what a day we had, and evening, over 5 hours on the beach last night 6.45 til almost midnight! can't believe how quickly the time went!

Thursday - Thursday 7.30am - woke Bob up much to  his disgust, well I had been awake since 6am and it was Market Day.  Blog done, and off to breakfast we went.  Today's egg number was boiled! and as traditional Turkish very hard boiled, but nonetheless it was lovely with the rest of the Turkish spread.

We left by 8.30am and wandered up to the market, not very far at all from the Dream Hotel, although a fairly steep climb up the back streets. A dear little old Turkish lady with a head scarf overtook us on the inside and muttered something but just smiled as she reach the market before us. First stop was the Beat stall! OH wanted to buy some speakers, and we got a bargain, well we think we did! 60TL Beatspill, bluetooth, means nothing to me, but everyone round the pool later on seemed to be impressed when he insisted on testing them out, conflicting with the poolside music, wasn't sure whether I was listening to Turkish traditional music or Dr Dre!

We then went on to have a look round, the weather was fairly cloudly but was actually good for looking round the market. We bought tomatoes, cucumber, onion, figs, cherries, grapes, peaches, plums and nuts for our picnic, some lovely goats and feta cheese, olives and then went down to Yali to look for the water hammocks that someone has bought at the hotel, but unfortunately they seemed to have sold out. Sorry, Lizzie at the moment, your Walter won't have a companion this year! 

We went into the Bank, and I was pleased to see that this week there was not the long queue like there was last week after the holiday.  We got a good rate of exchange in Deniz Bank 3.63, so BH was happy. I can see BSG visit happening soon!

Back to the hotel, for a few hours round the pool, which was lovely as the weather was not too sunny today, but still hot.  We had lunch here today, a lovely chicken wrap and the dreaded chips that I am not having on holiday this year! only a few though, as I put most of mine on Bob's plate again while he wasn't looking!

Picnic - after a cool off in the room, and a quick shower, we packed up our things and off we went, via the bakery to get 2 olive and sundried tomato rolls which I had spied earlier and a hot spit roasted chicken to go with the picnic.  Bob wanted some salami, but then we spotted the chickens and thought that would be a nicer option.  We couldn't get down to the beach quick enough, the smell of that chicken was divine! A quick stop in Lucky to pick up a cold bottle of Kavak white and a bottle of Villa Doluca Shiraz and off we went. 

On arriving thinking we would be the only ones, the beach was packed! we managed to get our chairs again though front spot by the water.  Too hot to eat the chicken yet, so had a lovely swim, it was still so warm, in fact sunnier than had been in the day.  There were boats leaving the harbour for the sunset cruises and 2 very large boats came in and people went ashore to eat leaving the boats moored up right by the beach, such a beautiful scene.  Slowly people left and we got another sunbed put a towel for a table cloth on it and laid out our picnic.  Bob cut up the chicken, we had our cheese and salad and fruit on little plastic plates and it looked good enough for a king to eat! Only downside, I had forgotten the Olives, sorry Bob, his favourite too.  The sun was beginning to go down, the wine was open and Bob's new speakers were playing Tom Baxter and Dire Straits, what more could you ask for. The setting was set, it beautiful.    :D :D :D :D 

There were quite a few people on the beach, mainly Turkish with the children, all still in the water when it go dark, we had a lot of interest in our new speakers, people looking and listening to them too, even sharing our grapes which was nice! There were a couple of dogs nearby, and they didn't bother us, just looked on whilst we were eating, but suddenly some fireworks went off from one of the restaurants and one of the dogs shot up and ran straight over to me, knocking my wine flying on the beach, never mind, no broken glass, just spilt the wine!

It was around 11.45pm, where on earth did that time go, we packed up, not much food or wine left I can tell you, and off we set back to the hotel.  The town was still buzzing, I persuaded BH to get a taxi, I know it was only up the hill, but we had had such a lovely evening, I didn't want to spoil it, so off to the taxi rank we went, and 7TL later, plus a tip, we were back to the Dream!

Today we are going on Pina X, and tomorrow Kekova, not ideal 2 boat trips 2 days in a row, but Kekova only had spaces for Saturday this week, but we are really looking forward to both days, am hoping the sea isn't as choppy as last week though.

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blogs, K4E I laughed out loud when I read yours yesterday about its like a free starter or a Brandy on the house! Lizzie you must be so excited, I wanted to see a photo of that count down app saying zero days left! Can't wait to see you tomorrow.  Haybo, have a safe journey home, it has been lovely meeting you, Dave and Matthew. 

Shirley x
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:19:58 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »
What a lovely evening you had! We were sat in Fener when the fireworks went off! Dave was peering through his varifocals to see if he could spot you on the beach! There were so many people on the beach...we will definitely be having a moonlight swim next year!

Feeling emosh again.......

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Better late than never

Started by BevJam on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:08:38 PM
by Chucky
xx
Better late than Never

Started by macrefield mom on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 01:43:27 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Late food

Started by Mike on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 01:34:27 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
hot enough late September?

Started by jules on Weather

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 02:48:41 PM
by jules

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal