Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sea Kayaking at Kekova or Canoe adventure along Xanthos river  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Karen

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Has anyone tried either of these trips and if so what would be the better out of the 2? I''d love to do both but I don''t think I''m gonna get time to!!

Thanks
Karen :D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1227.0

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Sea Kayaking at Kekova or Canoe adventure along Xanthos river
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
We have done the canoe adventure along Xanthos river. It was memorable, and certainly an adventure.It was about 9 years ago when my two boys were 10 and 12. We had 2 canoes, husband and eldest son in1 and me and youngest son in the other. All the way down the river it was perfect, stopped at the mud baths, stopped for a lovely lunch and then paddled off towards Patara Beach and the end of the trip. During the day the wind had got up and as we got nearer to Patara the harder it became to paddle. The flotilla of canoes that started out became straggled all the way along depending on how fast you went. Because of the wind the current from the sea became a problem and my son and I spent a lot of time paddling hard and going nowhere apart from large stationary circles!!

They send speed boats up the river to help you and tow the canoe back if you are in real difficulty. We decided to plod on, we are both fit and my son had extreme optimism (due to his age). We made it but it took hours, we were the last to arrive on the beach, the sun was going down and we got a standing ovation!!

Many many people do this trip and only a handful end up with these sort of conditions. It was never dangerous only extremely tiring but never to be forgotten. I would recommend it with reservations!! Probably why we haven''t done Kekova as it is on the open sea !!

Offline Adrian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
We''''ve done the canoe trip down the Xanthos twice and I''''d like to do it again when we''re back in May... must be bonkers!  msr''s description is spot on.  The end bit is the hardest bit,  the wind plus meeting the sea doesn''''''''''''''''t make it easy but there is no shame in taking a helping hand.  We''ve managed it without help both times; grit teeth, head down & paddle.  It''s a pretty satisfying day,  you feel you''ve expended a lot of energy but you''''ve also had a lot of fun - a nice cold Efes and a good meal are very welcome in the evening ;D  I''m also a virtual non-swimmer & did not have any worries as you get lifevests & there are lots of people on hand to help.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:45:15 AM by Adrian »

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
We completed the trip down the Xanthos river in 2006, on honeymoon (!), and we survived!
We managed to ''mount'' a small rock right at the start, and go the wrong way round an island...but it was a fantastic day!
Everyone joined forces to help each other out and laugh at each others exploits, then the race at the end determined the winner...us!
We went home with smiles on our faces, aches in our muscles and a fantastic experience under our belt!
Its a must do journey...the mud baths and swim were ace, as was the scenery and the changes in the river as you make your way down to the sea.

If you do this trip i would advise you to wear a hat, something to cover the back of your neck, trousers or shorts (not a long, floaty skirt like i did...not nice when your stood knee deep in water!), and keep your valuables in something waterproof as the canoes can fill a little with water.
(Apologies if i''m preaching to the converted with this info, but newbies like me may appreciate it.  :))

P.s...I think Mr B did the Kekova one...will check when he gets home and post if he has any info.

Offline Karen

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, I think we will be doing the Canoe trip without a doubt, might help to work off some of those calories we are going to be eating!! ;D

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
Mr B tells me that he has done the sea kayaking and really enjoyed it as its the best way to see the sunken city..you''re literally inches above it.
He tells me that, out of the two, he enjoyed this one a little more.
He kayaked from Kekova (where the tour boats leave from) to the sunken city and back, taking into consideration the waves from the tour boats etc, and says it took a lot of stamina but was a great day out.
hope this helps with the decision!  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal