Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Be Aware  (Read 2512 times)

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Be Aware
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
Felt like pushing the boat out last Friday and went to a "very top end" restaurant/ hotel for a meal. It was amazing BUT when i tried to settle the bill my debit card was refused twice? there was plenty of money in the account so i was a bit confused. Anyway paid in cash and thought may have been a problem with the connection only to find that the transaction had left my account. ! >:( My bank are not being very helpful and have put it through to the disputes dept. It now seems that i have a mountain of forms to fill in with no guarantee that i will get my money credited back. If not then that makes it a "very expensive meal" :'(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12261.0

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
Re: Be Aware
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
Why can't you go back to the hotel/restaurant (with the paperwork from your bank etc) and ask for the money back

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
My thought as well,Chris s. Surely this would be the quickest solution......The restaurant has to be aware that the card payment went through !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
Was your card with you the whole time? Or did you hand it over to someone to complete the payment. It should have generated a receipt in front of you on the hand held terminal when payment went through..?
If you handed your card over to someone who took it away it could be fraud and your bank would have to act more quickly than a disputed transaction. ???
I am sure this sort of incident has happened in Kalkan before a good few years back - you will find the thread using the search facility to see if there was a positive outcome.
We always use cash as my card was cloned in the UK when a waiter in a nice restaurant took it away to pay a bill....it took months to get the money back from the cloned card, but they seemed to be having a jolly good time at my expense >:(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
it will be september before i can take up the issue with the restaurant. in the meantime i have found the two transaction refusal docs but my bank has said that it does not mean that the transaction did not go through later in the evening.
 I seem to remember another thread like this last year or the year before when someone had the same problem.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
Felt like pushing the boat out last Friday and went to a "very top end" restaurant/ hotel for a meal. It was amazing BUT when i tried to settle the bill my debit card was refused twice? there was plenty of money in the account so i was a bit confused. Anyway paid in cash and thought may have been a problem with the connection only to find that the transaction had left my account. ! >:( My bank are not being very helpful and have put it through to the disputes dept. It now seems that i have a mountain of forms to fill in with no guarantee that i will get my money credited back. If not then that makes it a "very expensive meal" :'(

Pm'd you
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Hi Samson,
If I were you, I would email the restaurant and tell them you will be seeing them in September about the issue.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
I'm not sure how a payment can go through later on after its been declined...? You would need the card and pin, surely...?
Here's the thread from 2012.
http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9929.msg67300#msg67300

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »
I remember a couple of years ago when I was there with my Mum, she tried to pay for a trip with her card and it wouldn't go through. It was a problem with the connection of the terminal. Fortunately the person trying to take the payment didn't ask her to pay cash as well, we simply went back the following day (having confirmed with her bank) to check that the payment had been taken.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mr Happy Massage

Views: 3161
By: pw
By the pool