Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Brain picking!  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Brain picking!
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Hello in search of some answers/advice!
I thought I was so clever booking a lovely villa way ahead for next year and now it turns out that the lovely people who look after our elderly dog will be away then and can't have him so I'm trying to change the dates.
The most convenient time may be May half term week, so a few questions.......
Does Kalkan get very busy during May half term I.e. Is it packed with kids as now we are able to avoid school holidays we also like to avoid kids but I'm thinking it's just before the busy exam season so maybe not?
Weather....I know it could be a bit unpredictable and that this year it didn't settle down till a little later but it that unusual?
Is everything ready and open.....I think this year the beach was rather late in getting cleaned etc?

Hopefully we will hear back from the villa owners soon and we can get it all sorted out.
Thanks in anticipation!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12243.0

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Brain picking!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
I think you'll be fine in late May. It's a great time to be in Kalkan, in my humble opinion. Although you may get a few kids around it's certainly not as noticeable as in late July/ August.

The weather in May this year was pretty unusual. We've had it warmer in April (actually it was this year) and everyone is agreed hat the weather in general this year has been unusual.

Also the lateness in the town preparation was down to a couple of unusual factors: the movement of a lot of the Belediye functions to Kas, and the ongoing disruption caused by the extended road works in the old town.  By definition, neither of those factors will be present next year!

The only thing I don't like about May in Kalkan is the olive flies, but that's another matter :) 

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
Ah olive flies.....now,I've heard about them....but I'm thinking that as I'm plagued with mozzies I wouldn't let that put me off! Just waiting to hear if we can change the dates for the villa.....fingers crossed!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:48 PM »
I agree with MartynE - late May is wonderful in Kalkan - everything fresh and new - temperature perfect - not too crowded. This year was exception for many reasons. Next year should be much better, although I am rather hoping that any plans for the new harbour project are re-visited or delayed for a year or two - just to allow residents and businesses time to recover from the roadworks upheaval. Good luck with date change.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
We are usually out then and love it. It's not too busy with kids and the town is fully coming to life as the season gears up. Thankfully apart from our first visit 8 or so years ago we've never been bothered with olive flies, despite there being a big old olive tree in the garden!  Hope you can change the dates - good luck !

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »
the only negative about coming out at half term week is the price of the flights"  hubby wanted to go from Dalaman to Gatwick next year on may 30th. with thomas cook and BA it was around £300! but the week before it was £47! with thomas cook and £89 with BA. Guess what? He is leaving a week earlier   :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
I'm hoping to get in on easyjet as soon as they release the flights!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
I'm fretting a bit now about this.....does anyone have experience of prices flying from gatwick if I book early enough.....Rachey has messages me but she flies from Scotland and their half term dates are different. I need to make a decision  ???

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
Babs, don't panic yourself into paying too much. Sit tight and wait for EasyJet to release their flights. Try to check every day around 10.00 in the morning, and watch EK too because somebody will post when they are released.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
Thanks cuddles......that's my usual plan of action! Can't usually book till the first evening though due to work!
I have one last question of you lovely people......does anyone know when monarch release flights from Birmingham as just to complicate the matter further my daughter and (by then, her husband...eek!) will be flying from Brum?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
If you can fly in the middle of the Whit Holiday and come back after it. You may find the prices are a bit cheaper...or the week before. Even easyJet's prices are raised if you fly to be there for that week should you be able to book on the release date. As for children, we were there well after the half term but there were still a fair few British families with school age children. Maybe it's cheaper to pay the fine than come in peak weeks...?
Sorry Babs no idea about Monarch...but think from memory they were before easyJet for Manchester.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
Hi Babs,

Hope you get this sorted without too much more hassle. Last year, we booked this August's flights with Monarch, last August as soon as they were released. That was Manchester though. I would keep checking daily if I were you as I've noticed they have already released some flights for July 2015 from East Midlands in July, but no other month  ???

We always get Emails from Monarch as flights from Manchester are released but that may be because we've used them before. They tend to work out the cheapest option for us in summer. Maybe see if you can be added to their mailing list?

Good luck, and don't worry.  :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
How apt is the subject title when coupled with mention of the olive flies.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
How apt is the subject title when coupled with mention of the olive flies.

The joys of a Forum.

Think of it like down the pub, or a dinner party and how the subject wanders around as people think of related issues.

Seems like we've just done it again!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.....we've just decided to grin and bear (or is it bare.....it's been a long day) it! Because of work and other commitments, villa booking and dog boarding our planned holiday is bang on half term week. We are treating it as a one off situation. As lovely as it is going with the family it's so much easier, not to mention cheaper when it's just the two of us, choosing the cheapest time to fly and staying for as long as we want!  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal