Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just Back  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Emmaph70

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Just Back
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Where do i start well the weather was brilliant as ever red hot every day and was expected to get hotter. Some restraunts have gone but some equally good ones have replaced them sad to see a Touch of bistro was no more we spoke to the owner who told us that the competition for custom was making the place unprofitable so he has turned it into a small bar. The owners of Agora have taken over the place opposite the taxi rank near the roundabout in town cant remember the old name but its now called Medyan ate there twice and found it very good. Took a trip up Kalamar Road to Cafe Vita after reading some rave reviews on tripadvisor food was excellent staff were very good only down side we found was there menu was very limited and seemed to consist of mainly english dishes. Sade never fails and was just as good as before best food however was saved for last night next to the Meydan above the other eateries there is a new place called Limos the owner Omar was boasting he was gonna be number 1 on tripadvisor this time next year judging by last nights food i think he could be right truly amazing food the seafood mixed platter was a real delight and the steak diane was truly melt in the mouth food.
Holiday makers on a budget or those self catering should visit BIM supermarket opposite the bus station at the top of the hill i know for some its could be a trek to far but the savings are worth it.
What next motorbike hire was advised by the company we hired our scooter off that the police are been a lot more stricter this year regarding tourists wearing crash helmets and that helmets should be worn at all times now commonsense anyway.
There did not seem as many wild dogs this year a problem we have found in recent visits to be very scary and very dangerous dont know what has changed but was certainly an improvment.
Next topic The Pink Beach Club Patara Great location good concept but avoid the swimming pool at all costs square hole in the ground with what looks like a pool liner in it very little filtration system and scum and oil residue floating on the top not nice at all.
Overall Kalkan never fails although did seem very quiet for this time of year booked to return in 9 weeks time the clck is ticking.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12217.0

Offline Griffo63

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: Just Back
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:21:03 AM »
Hi great report but I have one question? BIM supermarket how close is this to the bus station? I cant seem to recall where it is is it new? Thanks for any help  :-\

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Griffo..it's more or less directly opposite..used to be an old furniture shop a few years back(yuksel)
I'm just back too and can quite happily say that despite the moans and little quibbles that crop up on here Kalkan still delivers..the atmosphere of the old town is virtually the same and indeed the tidy up looks very nice...the people still welcome you as always and if anything Kalkan seemed quieter this year than last (except England footy nights and even that was subdued..sooo much better when turkey are involved :'() prices are up slightly but offset with more lira not too badly..Indeed as Emaph70 says Bim is excellent for basics (no alcohol sold) but Big coke 2.5 ltr for 3.20 tl..less than a quidly!! Met a few members  Nice to see K4E again..it's been a while if only briefly.. and Hey Brooksie start posting again!! Margaret & Nigel very brief but nice to see you both..Now I'm back in blighty with rain hammering down and thunder storms forecast this afters!! still a sausage sarnie and the thought of those in kalkan sweltering in the unbearable heat will pacify me ..while I ponder my next visit(wonder whos bum is looking after my favourite bar stool in kaya?)...mmmmm? now where shall I go next year? ;D

P.S dalaman still ridiculous on prices..£4.50 for small tin of coke or soft drink in some outlets......we were captive as those damned Froggie air traffic controllers were playing up again..PAH! and double PAH!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:34:40 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Griffo63

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »
Thanks for reply will give a go :)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Griffo63 I would also recommend A101 supermarket which is on the main road roughly opposite Hunkars, on the right hand side walking up from Kaya. It is set back slightly and you have to go down some steps to get to the entrance so it is easy to miss. Look for the turquoise and white sign. It reminds me of a Turkish Lidl. They don't sell alcohol, but for larder basics, toiletries and cleaning products, I find it the cheapest place in town - and so convenient.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Yes I second that Christina. A101 is very good for basic things.  Talking of supermarkets, need to stock up soon as have almost run out of our chicken and Kofta spices!  :D

Jayne

Offline Griffo63

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Great stuff thanks for the info  :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
There are still as many dogs in & around Kalkan, they are just keeping out of the very hot weather which has hit all of a sudden.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Marni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
Hey BL is was great to see you and Mrs BL too although much too brief this year, we will work out the June dates better next year!  We are back in Kakan on 15 July so will make sure your favourite Kaya stool is well looked after! Take good care of yourselves.  M&N x

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
Thanks for reporting back Emmaph70. Glad you had a good holiday and tried some new experiences.
I will be setting into one of those kaya bar stools in a little over 5 weeks BL. Not sure which is your favourite so may have to make my way from one end of the bar to the other!  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
The very last stool by the Efes pump and little seating/ smoking area..it saves time in the commute for a ciggie and saves the barman walking......I'm so thoughtful!! :P

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
I shall sit there in your honour in August BL - hope there's no bogeys hiding under it like I always used to find under my school desk when we went to a new classroom!!! ;D :o >:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
Aheeeem!! BL stands for Blue Lizard ...not Bogey Lizard >:D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just back!

Started by RosiB on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 04:57:58 PM
by RosiB
xx
BA are back!

Started by Cuddles on Flights and Travel

33 Replies
Last post August 14, 2014, 03:16:17 PM
by Chris_S
xx
Just back

Started by alshepuk on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 02:21:05 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Just got back!

Started by east on Holiday Reports and Reviews

34 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 10:45:33 PM
by Kefgirl

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour at night

Views: 4208
By: jofoss
flowers