Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan for the first time!  (Read 3427 times)

Offline BoydieBobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Kalkan for the first time!
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
Hi, we have less than 6 weeks until we go to Kalkan for the first time. It has been recommended to us by friend and judging by all the forum posts it looks like we have made the right choice!
We are looking for a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle of life.
We have been to the Bodrum area previously but never this region.
We are flying from Gatwick to Dalaman on the 21st July and have hired a minibus from the airport as there will be seven of us. We have had a bit of a nightmare getting car rental companies to respond to our emails, hopefully this will go without a hitch!
We should be arriving in Kalkan at 2300h-2400h so hopefully the drive shouldn't be too fraught, however the road to our villa looks a little challenging, the villa we have rented is on the Islamlar road next to the Mosque - does anyone know this area?
Does anyone know of any table tennis tables in the kalkan area?
We have been struggling to get Lira so plan on taking stirling and exchanging in Kalkan.
Just wondering how far Yakapark and Saklikent gorge are from Kalkan as google map seems to give me different info every time I search?!!
We have booked Whisper boat for a day - price seems to have jumped up to 900TL this year compared to previous years, however for 7 of us still seems a really good deal with the exchange rate as it is.

All advice welcome! Any tips?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12151.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Kalkan for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
Hi BoydieBobs and welcome to the forum.  :)

It sounds as though you are very organised and have a few adventures in mind already.  Unfortunately I can't help much with some of your questions as we have never been on Whisper boat before so I can't really comment on the price, but it has fantastic reviews so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It will be our 8th visit to Kalkan this summer but we've still not been to Sakklikent or the Yakapark so again, I'm sorry I can't help you although I'm sure someone willl be along soon who can!

We have been to Islamlar quite a few times and I think there is a restaurant close by the mosque if I'm not mistaken, so may well be in close walking distance. It will be a little cooler for you up there and I'm sure you'll love it away from all the hustle and bustle. The road is a bit hairy though - especially in the dark!

It's been mentioned on here before about the problem with getting hold of lira at home just recently but you'll be fine exchanging it in Kalkan and will probably get a much better rate too. We usually change ours at the kiosk outside the PTT in town.
We usually try and exchange a little before we arrive, for emergency EFES etc, depending on what time we land of course.  :)

I'm sure you will have a wonderful holiday  - 8 weeks and 4 days for us!  8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:27:50 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »
Saklikent is about a 40 minute drive through pine forest.  If you keep going through the Saklikent complex, look for the right hand turn signs to Tlos (which is certainly worth visiting) and keep going upwards until you reach the Yakapark for lunch, probably another 30 minutes from Saklikent.
All three places make a great day out.

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
BoydieBobs,

In case you've not seen on the forum the police are doing random stops on the A400 & breathalysing drivers.  Not sure if it's a no alcohol limit but sure it's less than Britain.  The advice has been not to drink on the plane, big fines given, payable at once like in France.

I'm sure someone will be able to point you to where the message was or use the search box.

Lucy Lou

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I am sure you will have a great time as you seem very organised and informed already - on our 1st trip we researched stuff for months but that still didnt prepare us for the Wow when we got there and still does even after many visits it still brings a lump to my throat thinking about it - 2 days and we will be there again for our 1st visit this year. C'ant advise on any other of your questions apart from Whisper Boat which we went on last year and you will not fail to be super impressed - the boat is lovely, Captain Yasin is the lovliest man and the food etc is to die for (I have never had food like it on a boat, it is superb, just like a floating top restaurant) Hope it all turns out just as you wish it to, long as you are prepared to catch the Kalkan bug - enjoy.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
If you are driving the limit is the equivalent of one beer if you are by yourself....if you have passengers NO alcohol is permitted.
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
If you go up to have lunch at Yakapark make sure you go to the 'orijinal Yakapark', that's how it's spelled if I remember rightly, as there are a number of places with the same name but they aren't as good. It's better to arrive just after 2pm as earlier it is full of coach and minibus parties. You also can do the lovely ruins at Tlos as you go past them to get to Yakapark. It's a great day out saklikent, yakapark the Tlos and very doable in a day.

Offline BoydieBobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies!

Lizilu20 -  There is a restaurant just up the road called Bodamya Tepe which looks walkable! I am glad it will be a bit cooler up there I have a teenager who gets grumpy if it's too hot! 8 visits definitely is a recommendation, you must love it. You'll be getting ready to go when we come back!

Chris S and Kalkan Regular, Tlos sounds excellent and we will definitely visit, I hadn't realised it was so close. I hadn't realised there were  different Yakaparks so I will make sure we find the right one!

Lucy Lou and Blue Lizard, thanks for the heads up - luckily for us one group member is teetotal and loves being the designated driver!

Chrissy1, I am the same I have researched everything! I am so glad we chose Whisper as it looks amazing and was almost booked up for the two weeks we are there.

Thank you everyone for your replies - I don't think I could be anymore excited!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
Welcome to the Forum BoydieBobs.  Imagine you are getting really excited, I know we certainly are, can't wait to go out at the end of July.  We were at Bodamya Tepe in April, and the food and hospitality are second to none.  You need to try their Trout Fishcakes, they are wonderful! Saklikent, Tlos and Yakapark as everyone says are definitely worth visiting, a fab day out, as of course are Kas, Meis, Sunken City, all the amazing boat trips from the harbour, oh gosh I could go on and on and on! 

Feel free to ask any more questions, everyone is so nice on this Forum, and someone will always have an answer to any questions asked.

Jayne

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
Bodamya Tepe, with its wonderful views is a great little restaurant serving lovely food from breakfast to late in the evening.  Hassan will make you very welcome.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
Over the years been gallavanting around all the local beauty spots. Kas, Saklikent, Islamlar, Patara, Letoon etc,etc. How have we missed Tlos andnYakapark, although I do recall seeing signs. So directions please and what to expect when we get there. It would be great to visit somewhere fresh always enjoy a new adventure especially as it goes without saying we get lost. Great fun asking the locals with our pidgeon Turkish and well perfected signing.  All good fun, maybe with a spattering of wedded bickering   >:D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
All good fun, maybe with a spattering of wedded bickering   >:D

Clara50 that did make me laugh - just summed me and OH up to a tee!! ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
xx
1st time in Kalkan

Started by BeeKay on Introduce Yourself

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 11:51:43 PM
by Reygirl
recycled
hi first time in kalkan

Started by martin danielle on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 05:30:46 AM
by kim21
xx
first time in kalkan

Started by izzy35 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 09:54:09 PM
by izzy35

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal