Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mossie bracelets  (Read 3464 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Mossie bracelets
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Noticed these for sale in our local Home Bargains. Has anyone found these any good at all? I use the usual tricks, antihistamines, vit b etc. For the last few trips I've not been able to use anything with deet due to asthma and allergies. Sneezing and streaming mascara, doing my darth vader not very fitting for a romantic meal out lol. My personal exterminator always sprays the bedroom which works great. Nevertheless, now I have to only use Avon SSS or the local lemon concoction so made the transition from smelling like a mechanics overalls to cheap washing up liquid. Just, looking for any alternative to try really to keep the little rotters from treating me as their three course meal. They also seem to particularly enjoy hubby, maybe they  like to partake of a nice bit of mature Welsh furry calf  ::) Cheers !!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12140.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Mossie bracelets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
They work on the bit of skin under the bracelet where the little buggers can't get ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
Sorry Clara, I've not tried them but would be interested to see if they work. Seeing as bites are usually more on the lower legs - you'd think they would make anklets too ???
Hope they work for you and dont just work on the bits they are covering up as BL says  ;D

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
I've got some packets of soft stretchy yellow plastic coil bracelets (like a mini Slinky) which also fit round your ankles. Got them off eBay. If you don't mind looking like you're en route to Glastonbury then they are a useful 'layer' of protection along with other repellents.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Yes, echo what the three of you have said. Was suspicious as how they'd work, being only on your wrist. Without being rude thay have even managed to get me on lower butt in the past, goodness knows how they managed that, my fault for wearing the floaty dresses, might have to resort to wearing granny bloomers underneath this year, won't see them although the meltem could prove a bit of a  problem :o Looks as if I'll have to resort to BL's tried and tested flippin floppen method again. Might get in training beforehand with the dreaded houseflies and the odd wasp. Wondered if Blue Lizard would be prepared to become my personal trainet as he's the expert in this technique. Would be prepared to pay in Efes.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Years ago the Sunday Times did a review of over 50 mossie repellants.

After exhaustive testing they concluded that there were really only two types of mozzie repellant the ones with DEET and the ones that didn't work.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
Spray the bedroom before leaving and get one of the cheap electrified (battery) tennis racquets, just go in slowly holding it flat (rather than trying to bat them), until you are about six inches away, then press button and move in quickly.
Old Betsy has got about 20 of them this year, mostly when I first got here at end of April. Problem seems to have abated since then.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
We do all the raid spraying and it works. It's the outdoor mossies are the elusive ones although citrus candles when sitting outside help although with some of them it's likes sitting around a smokey bonfire but as they say no pain no gain. Never tried one of those zapping bats, sound OK and good fun too. Will be looking on ebay asap. Thanks.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
We have tried the bracelets, they didn't work, citronella oil added to sun cream and after sun, I usually put around 20 drops per bottle works fairly well, "in country" we buy Sin Kov spray works a treat! Always spray feet and ankles mozzies are attracted to the smell of feet.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal