Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Back again...bliss  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Back again...bliss
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
This is our third full day back and the earliest we've ever been as we usually are here end May/early June along with Kalkan4Eva! 

Weather, as others have blogged, has been mixed but nothing detracts from this lovely place and the genuine warmth of welcome shines as brightly as ever!

The roads - look great and so much grippier underfoot, feels much safer.  Moonlight has encroached a bit on the road, but nowhere as large as previous years and it was deserted last night as we wandered homewards about 11pm, but Yali was packed.  Yali also has fewer tables, but is still our favourite place to sit and watch the world go by.  Town is very quiet, feels more like a working village than a tourist place in some ways just now.  Lots of workmen wandering around, as building continues until the 15th.

Now onto the important stuff - food!  First night, as always, was to Gourmet to see Şakir and Ibrahim and to meet Şakir's lovely new wife Reyhan.  Food was delicious - as always.  They've been busy over the winter and the place looks fab - I covet the new slate tiles in the refurbished loos!  We love it there and Şakir is as happy as I've ever seen him - his wife does not speak much English yet, but Şakir is teaching her.  She's so sweet!

Our second night, also as always, was to Coast.  Another superb meal and wonderful service.  We didn't see Ömer as he was away on his business in Dalaman and wasn't getting home til very late, but his gorgeous wife Elif was there and looked after us so well. 

lunch yesterday we went to Oz Adana on the roundabout (Fındık) last year.  No alcohol so we had juice.  We both ordered pide, but first out came puffy bread and two dips, then salad and a plate of chillis.  I like my chillis but only managed four of them as they were hot  :o. All that, and lovely service came to £4 each. Incredible!

Today by the pool as it's so warm and sunny  8). Tonight Ilyada to see Rami after going to see Ali and booking a trip on his fabulous boat, Zeus.

Kalkan, I am happy to report, is as lovely as ever. As if that was ever in any doubt  :D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12052.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Back again...bliss
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
oh Rachey so glad to hear all is well :)
The weather can certainly be changeable in early May so fingers crossed it settles down into sunny days from now on for you both. You're earlier and we're coming later so Eyup can accommodate guests for a wedding over Whit week, hopefully everything will be back to normal next year :) but I will miss catching up with you :(. Hope you get a chance to have a look at the two refurbished properties at HanInn (the old grandly titled Villas Angel and Angelo) both are available for rent but not through Eyup. I hear Zoe has also upped sticks and lives in Islamlar now...? We'll miss her too :(
Good to know Gourmet and Coast are still delivering excellent food and service (both regulars on our list) So pleased also that Oz Adana has moved back down into town - we will definitely pay them a visit - still no licence for alcohol..? Strange!
Please keep us updated with your stay, whenever you get the chance and can tear yourself away from the pool :)
Enjoy the rest of your stay :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Elif was telling us last night that Billy (TanZore) also doesn't have a licence yet and still hasn't been able to get his place opened.  Bit of a nightmare, apparently. Lots of things still setting down with the change in administration. Some folk are delighted, others not so.  Ah, politics, the same all over!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
I didn't realise they had to apply for a licence every year...?!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
Fab report Rachey. We love gourmet too and I can't wait for another serving of 'who let the chickens out'. Please tell me it's still on the menu? Trouble is, I now have that every time we go which stops me from trying anything new. I'm such a creature of habit, Summer steak at Doy Doy, creamy chicken livers at Mussakka, menemen at Chillies, beyti kebab at Hunkar, Turkish breakfast at Fener...I need to stop this but the trouble is, I salivate as I  longingly remember  these foods over winter and then I just can't resist ordering them again, and again, and again  ::)  ::)  ;D

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Hi K4E. Not sure what the scoop is re licenses. All a bit murky.  And yes, no Zoe, she's living a good life up in Islamar, bless her!  Haven't seen any of the resident tortoises either...

I know what you mean, Lizilu - we have our favourites we must go to each visit to.  I can't tell you if the who let the chickens out is still on the menu as I didn't need to look at it to order fish cakes and şırmaşır and OH satay followed by marble steak!  Then the Persian chicken at Coast, just so yum.  Oh I do love Turkish food! 

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
as I understand it , only the owner of a property can apply for a license not the person renting it and with the new rules regarding no alcohol within a distance of a mosque any new applications would be refused. so for instance Mustafa at alternative would be ok as he owns the premises but it would be a problem for Billy :(

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »
TanZore was serving alcohol last year - a rather nice sauvignon blanc I recall - so it wouldn't be a new application...?

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
Cloudier this morning, but still some sun so all is well.  Electricity went off in the early hours -fixing the substation according to KTLN.  Back on by 10am though so no problem. 

Had a fab meal at Ilyada last night. Two courses each plus a bottle of rose and it came to 107TL, about £30!  Incredible value, especially for the harbour!  Best of all of course, is that Rami is working there - he's such a lovely person.  He's hoping to get a place of his own again next year, so fingers crossed for that.  And another bonus - Abdullah is also working there this season!  He had Ephesus resturant last year but it's closed and he's much more relaxed without the stress. He and Rami make a superb double act and are full of laughter, and the best service.  Tonight?  No idea...will think about that later over a glass of Efes at Yali bar  ;D

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
Glorious sunshine this morning as I type this by the pool  ;D

So, where have we been? Had a brilliant meal at Salt and Pepper, Ibrahim is a sweetheart.  The food delicious and presented beautifully.  We also had a wonderful evening at Iso's Kitchen. We've walked past this place countless times, especially when we used to stay at Dere but for some reason never ventured in. It's a gem, superb value and really homely. Loved it.  Back again to Gourmet.  It remains our absolute favourite. 

Yesterday we walked down to Kleo to visit the Kapsa fundraiser and to have lunch.  The stalls were packed and the "pre-loved" clothing stall especially popular.  Hopefully they raised a ton of money.  We wandered along to see the Mother's Day event at Pinar Bufe but all that seemed to be happening was loud dance music and 40 or so folk sitting around.  So we took ourselves off for a good stroll all up and down Kalkan's lovely back streets.  Seeing some of the more run down properties we'd think "potential" as a doer-upper if one had the time, energy and of course dosh!

A lazy day by the pool beckons... :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated Rachey.  :) we went to salt and pepper for the first time last year and loved it. Definitely one on the keeper list, both the food and the service were excellent. We haven't been to Iso's yet though - another one on the list!
So glad that the weather has picked up for you all in Kalkan.
Do you happen to have a 'Walter' accompanying you this holiday?  ;D

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
Ah dear Walters. I don't have him, but one of his close cousins...like a short lilo with a pillow thing. Perfect for floating and reading my kindle.  Am rereading Northanger Abbey in advance of reading Val McDermid's modern re telling of it. 
Sun really warm and only a couple of puffy white clouds peeking over the mountains. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
So pleased the weather has picked up Rachey - sounds like you are having a wonderful time.
You do exactly what BH and I do when we go walking - espying potential properties for TLC and purchase with our lottery winnings. We even manage to have a bit of a domestic about our final imaginary choices....and then decide to buy both because we can ;D ;D

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
Lol K4E...we're waiting for that lotto jackpot win too  ::)

Lizilu, meant to say that who let the chickens out is still on Gourmet's menu   ;D

A roads and footwear update.  I'm totally clumsy and will trip over a blade of grass, so I think I'll be sticking to flat shoes.  However, I might perhaps brave some wedges now as the roads are so much grippier.  There are a few brave folk wandering about with 3-4" stilettos! but walking very, very carefully, and not looking at all comfortable.  Those wearing wedges were strolling around happy as you like.  The centre of the roads are cobbled and there are gaps between then to trap a heel and they're uneven.  The pavement part is flat granite and that's fine in any heel, but once you're in the old town you have to walk on the cobbles as the pavements are covered by mopeds, signs, chairs etc. 

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Hi Rachey, thanks for the footwear update - a pair of low wedges may just happen to fall into may case in August when I pack!

Good to see thet my favourite dish is still on the menu at Gourmet too, thanks for checking that out.

I hope you hare having a lovely time floating around your pool on Walter's cousin - keep up the good work.  :D 8) ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just got back!

Started by east on Holiday Reports and Reviews

34 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 10:45:33 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Just got back!

Started by HTC HD on Holiday Reports and Reviews

10 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 11:34:15 AM
by HTC HD
xx
I'm back !

Started by fidimax on Introduce Yourself

17 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 05:16:47 PM
by fidimax
xx
Just got back......

Started by clarkster10 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 05:37:30 PM
by clarkster10

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Meis

Views: 2737
By: JenJen
Kalkan Map