Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tales of the Expected  (Read 6698 times)

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Tales of the Expected
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
Great reports Pompeyalbie. Glad you are back in touch. Lizilu 20, it took us 13 years before we eventually got around to doing Meis despite saying we would every year. It was a fantastic day and I can't believe we never got round to it before. Perhaps this year we will do the water taxi!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
On the way back we stopped of at the fake watch shop to pick up my watch he was getting repaired for me, at home they wanted £22 to put a new glass on it, he got it done for 20TL. While we were waiting Janet was taken by a "R****x"which is unusual for her as she's not a watch type person, so that's her anniversary present sorted, I've got off lightly this year. We both had a nice "Mont Blanc" pen each as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:49:54 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
Yes glad your sorted now Pompeyalbie, loved reading your posts, feels like we are back there already, 76 days and counting!  Suziq, Meis is fabulous placeisn't it, so tranquil and such a beatiful setting, so different from across the water in Kas, we had a great day there last year, and will maybe repeat the experience in August. Lizzie, the water taxi from Calis to Fethiye sounds a great day out as well.  :D

J&B

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
Calis to Fethiye water taxi is a 30 minute slow crossing over the harbour, not exactly a luxury cruise so don't get too excited  ;D ;D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
Hopefully we can get out on the boat tomorrow & I can stop spending money. We don't usually feel like eating after a day of Adam's wife's  cooking so tomorrow's  blog could be a bit boring unless I fall overboard .

Wednesday morning and the sun is out, there are a few clouds on the horizon. One problem this morning is there is no electricity in the complex, don't how widespread it is or how long it's been off.
The weather was kind and a group of 10 set sail on Yilldiz 3, they have increased the cost to 60TL but that still equates to £17 for a wonderful day out. I was determined to swim at every stop and have to say the water wasn't cold once you got in. The food was delicious as ever and being only 10 of us plenty to go around plus Janet wasn't eating much as she'd had a bad night tummy wise, maybe a hint of garlic in her meal on Tuesday night set her off. I managed to sit on my really old genuine Wayfarers & broke the arm off but hopefully a bit of Superglue when we get home will sort that out ( touch wood). We didn't go out to eat as I was feeling a bit red & Janet was tired so it was a case of sitting outside by the pool reading for a while.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »

Thursday is our last full day so after the market we need to go into town to get a couple of birthday presents we'd put aside and there's a necklace she's had her eye on since Friday but not gone too close to.
Our trip around the market was pretty fruitless, janet did see some sandals for her daughter but they never had the right size. My only buy was a banana & honey pancake from the old lady in the middle, it was delicious, I'm fascinated just watching her command the "kitchen" from on high, the skill & speed she makes them, constantly turning them on the hot plate in between rolling out the dough. After that we made our way down to the harbour, I'm loathed to park up the top in fear of being hijacked on the way passed the roundabout. Stopped off at MissSilver to pick up the birthday presents we had set aside, Tomay had his 1 year old Ibrahim with him so I had a sit on the floor for a bit of balloon playtime. Next stop was Goz the Opticians to pick up my John Lennon glasses I bought 2 years ago where just last week an arm came off which he'd generously got repaired for me in Fethiye for free. I mentioned my broken Wayfarers so he said bring them in tonight & he'll try & sort them out while we have dinner.Onwards & upwards, literally, in search of a cat ornament of it lying on it's back, I'd seen it earlier in the week but couldn't remember where, turned out to be under Kalamaki. It was pushing lunchtime by now so we made our way back to Fener for a cheese omelette & a meatball sandwich, yum, yum or is it nom, nom they say now? It was getting chilly & grey  so we went back to the villa where I tried to post a report to no avail so it was back to my book. I've never read so much on holiday! Must be the weather or us being idle for a change & not going out every day.
After reading everyone else's comments about Rami being at Ilyada we thought we'd give it a try, we don't normally venture down to the harbour at night but had to give it a try. I'd promised myself a streak at sometime this week so went for a peppered steak which came with rice, salad & mashed potato, never seen mash in
Kalkan before, it was done to just how I like it, pink but not bloody and the sauce was very tasty until I bit a peppercorn, pass the Efes quick. Janet opted for the seabass stuffed with calamari & prawns, I think she counted 4 fillets of seabass which were tender and melted in her mouth. For desert I had Turkish Delight & ice cream, warm squishy TD with vanilla ice cream & cream, Janet opted for Banana & Caramel Crepe with ice cream. The reception was lovely & very attentive from the greeter & 2 waiters, not sure which one was Rami as neither looked like Adem. Goz hopes my sunglasses hold out after his fix if not I'm to bring them back next trip &  he'll send them to Fethiye for fixing. After going back up to the shoe shop by The Small House to get some sandals we said out goodbyes to Ozay then walked down the hill to say goodbye to Mustafa at Alternatif then on to Tomay at the harbour shop. An early night as we were getting up early to pack & get away in the morning.
Woke up early on Friday by the rain pounding down. Cases all packed  and we dropped the key back at reception with what was left of the Felixs  treats for the 2 cats we decided we'd see if Our House just around the corner was open for breakfast, I'd noticed them when we drove by on the way back from Bezirgan a couple of days before & Trip Advisor had them in top 5 so thought we'd give them a try. Janet wanted a cheese omelette while I went for a mixed omelette. Before this we had a selection of 4 jams, 5 different cheeses, tomato & cucumber salad with a selection of bread. I was going to ask if they could do us some sandwiches to eat at the airport but after this we didn't need it.washed down with an apple tea & a Turkish Tea the bill came to less than £10. No frills but service with a smile & home cooked food, don't know if I'd go for dinner but would certainly try it at a lunchtime.
The journey back to the airport wasn't without a fright, we got to the traffic lights where the d400 does a 90 degree turn and the clutch pedal wouldn't come up!! PANIC as a mini queue was starting to form behind us with the lights ax they went green to red to green, luckily after switching off the engine & on it came up, I was a bit wary after that and made sure I was on the inside lane every time we came up to lights. We landed at Gatwick to warm sunshine, something it wrong here, it's supposed to be sun in Turkey & rain in the UK.
The cat was pleased to see us, she'd been fed this week unlike last time, and has followed me around since we got in.
To everyone looking forward to their time in Kalkan have a great time and don't worry about walking down the streets in the old town the grip under your feet is very good now, just watch out for the drains.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Finally worked out why I couldn't post, it was the name of a certain brand of watch ending in X . Right that's my week's report finally input, hope you enjoy reading it.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »
Great reports Pompeyalbie. Glad you are back in touch. Lizilu 20, it took us 13 years before we eventually got around to doing Meis despite saying we would every year. It was a fantastic day and I can't believe we never got round to it before. Perhaps this year we will do the water taxi!

As a day trip Meis is certainly worth doing (not so sure about the people we met who were there for a week) the little town itself is exceptionally pretty and we got to see two huge, bathtub sized, turtles swimming about in the harbour. The walk up to the castle and around the small museum took about 2 hours altogether and was worth the effort.

My personal highlight was discovering a bar that sold a range of imported German beers for the price of an Effes. It had just closed for the season but the very pleasant lady who owned it said they were always open to anyone who wanted a Gernan beer. We had an Erdinger Weissbeer washed down by a coupler of Paulaner Weissbeers. 

While on the topic of booze the duty free had a pretty good selection and was by far the busiest shop on the island filled to capacity with eager shoppers, so i am guessing the prices are pretty good too

The price last year was 60TL or 40TL if you booked direct with Cpt. Ergun. Not sure if he is doing the same offer this year but he is on EK so you can PM him to find out (last year I PMed him at about 8:00pm and had a reply by 10:00pm. The next day we met him at his boat at 9:30am handed over 40TL per head for the ticketsand were on our way to Meis at 10:00).

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »
I suspect like Misty has a bag mention radar, Cpt Ergun has a boat mention radar...I think he'll pop up shortly :)
We were thinking of doing a different kind of boat trip with him this year - I've only heard good things :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
So glad you sorted the problem out Pompeyalbie. Wouldn't have missed this for the world. We've holidayed in fethiye and Calis in the past but never done the boat taxi. So yes bob and Jayne, let's do it!! I could do to visit telmessos gold again (where we bought my wedding and engagement rings) surely must be time for an eternity ring by now  ;)
Meis sounds really good and I would love to go. The only thing that's stopped us in the past are sulky teenagers so if we don't manage it this year, it's something we plan to do in the near future.
K4E - hope Cp'n Ergun's antennae is working as he really does do a good boat trip. Despite everything, the day out we had with him was fantastic - he's a good bloke and his hospitality is fab. I can guarantee you'll have a superb day out and you definitely should fork our a bit  extra for the rubber ring/dinghy experience! Such fun.
I've really enjoyed your posts Pompeyalbie and I've given you an extra "thanks" for your sheer grit and determination in making sure you got this report  on the forum despite the glitches for us all to enjoy!!!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
I've followed Lizilu's lead and added to your thank you count also. Loved your reports and your concerted efforts to avoid shopping are no match for a pro like Janet - a woman after my own heart :)
Thanks for persisting - although don't quite understand why you couldn't originally post and I'm sure the explaination will go right over my head...  :-X

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »
Hi Pompeyalbie
Just catching up on all your fab reports. Glad to see that you didn't let a few 'technical' issues get in your way! Just love reading the holiday posts, so thanks for taking the time and effort to keep us all 'Kalkanised!' Can't believe you are back already :( Is it my imagination, or are weeks getting shorter?  ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Not What We Expected

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2022, 02:19:09 PM
by Pompeyalbie
xx
Storm expected

Started by kim21 on Weather

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 07:28:52 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal