Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bezirgan really needs your help please!  (Read 13403 times)

Offline pirha

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
Bezirgan really needs your help please!
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
An appeal to any or all of you who care about Kalkan and the area around it - please, will you help?

A large quarry company wants to operate a marble quarry at Bezirgan, destroying a huge expanse of scenic mountain and plateau. And not only the mountain - the noise, dust and disruption would effectively destroy Bezirgan itself.

The mountain ridge at the back of which the putative quarry is to be comprises loose rocks and boulders. Currently when there's any extended period of heavy rain, boulders do occasionally roll down from above. Any use of explosives there would be disastrous, causing huge tracts of mountainside to crash down onto the village below.

The people of Bezirgan have started a court action to stop this quarry.
Just before the election, a petition was raised, sihgned and sent along with the dossier to the court.
We await the outcome.

It is almost unbelievable that any country could even consider the siting of a dirty, noisy and disruptive industry right in the middle of a touristic area - and within feet of the world famous Lycian Way, one of the world's top ten walking routes.
Yet this is just what is proposed.

Immediately prior to the election, we spoke to all three main parties, and each one purported to be outraged by the very idea. All three assured us that they would most definitely put a stop to it.
We hope they stick to their promises.Kalkan would not be left unaffected. The dust would assuredly blow down, coating the tourist resort below.

A petition has been started on change.org.
This is the link to it :
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/t-c-%C3%A7evre-ve-%C5%9Fehircilik-bakanl%C4%B1%C4%9F%C4%B1-bezirgan-da-ta%C5%9F-oca%C4%9F%C4%B1-istemiyoruz?lang=en-GB

The people of Bezirgan village would be so grateful to anyone who would please sign this, and please if possible share it with your friends.

Thanks!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11985.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Bezirgan really needs your help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
Hi pirha, I posted on this last week in the Politics and Debate section and lots of members have already signed the petition.
Hopefully your post will remind those who haven't already to both sign and share, particularly with Turkish friends.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Just a thought but was wondering, as Kalkan is very often written about in the UK newspapers especially the Sunday ones on holiday reports (understand from a relative in the UK that there has been a recent one), is there anyone out there who is a journalist or has connection with the press who would be interested in taking on this subject & writing an article to bring to attention of others the plight of Bezirgan if this project goes ahead, because if it does, then not so sure the write ups on Kalkan & surrounding areas will be so numerous.

As I say, just a thought..............................
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Alan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
Petition signed :)

Offline pirha

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
kalkan4eva, very many thanks indeed for your earlier post, it's great that people are taking the time and trouble to help on this. The villagers here in Bezirgan are really grateful for everybody's support.
The petition has reached 617 signatures, with messages of support from all over the world - Australia, America, Canada, South Africa, India, all over Europe. DBRD, yes please if anyone has contacts with any journalists, we'd be grateful for any coverage.
Bezirgan appreciates your help - we're greatly touched that visitors, tourists, walkers, expats, local people and people from all over Turkey see the value of our little village, all we hope for now is that the powers that be also recognise its worth, and stop this quarry.
It passes belief that anyone would wish to endanger the tourist trade, the lifeblood of not just one small village, but an entire area.
Very many thanks again to all the folks who have signed the petition, and to anyone who hasn't, please, please can you do it now???

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
Signed

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
I was thinking the same thing myself - some carefully crafted and appropriately targeted PR would certainly give the issue the widespread exposure it needs and take public awareness to another level.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
I personally think there needs to be more of a fuss made in Turkey and by Turkish people with power and influence. There are many businesses in Kalkan which would be affected by the dust and noise of wagons passing through and it would appear they are a powerful lobby group. Do the authorities take note of things that are written in the UK? If they do then an article would be a a good start. We know there is a British journo with business interests in Kalkan....! I'm pretty sure a few of the Kalkan business owners are originally from Berzigan so they would be good to enlist at this stage too. Plus if Islamlar is to be the new route into the proposed quarry, business people there need to start making their concerns heard.
In the meantime, we should not only sign the petition but share it through social media, whilst it is still accessible in Turkey as we know this can make or break a campaign of this natutre.
Please let's do all we can to help preserve this beautiful part of the Lycian heritage before it is too late.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
K4e - agree totally re the influence from the Turkish side but as Kalkan seems to be the favoured place for writing about in the British papers/tourist pages, (from a friend in the UK today, yet more write ups about Kalkan & Turkey) it's not a bad place to start.  The Turkish Tourist department will certainly pick up on any adverse comments made in the press.

Sadly there is a Turkish culture that stops many of them from standing up for themselves, it's a shrug & accept what is happening, thankfully that is changing but slowly. 
This winter in Kalkan & the road situation is a prime example, they get cross, wave their hands in the air, moan, but we have seen no real action taken to get the authorities to deal with the situation during the winter months, even now the business people are cleaning up the mess left by the workforce by sweeping the roads, washing down the dust & grit, realise they are just thankful that it's nearly all over in time for the tourist season.   

Anyway time will tell...................Insallah

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Signed

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Done!

Offline lucasvdb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Done too!

Offline Chris the Spark

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:41:04 PM »
Done

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
I work in PR and I would suggest that the issue and the campaign needs its profile raising with regional and national Turkish media and the international media, via issuing press releases and the use of social media, which you are already doing.

Pirha if you PM me I would be happy to help / advise in more detail. Here are some initial thoughts
You mention that the new Mayor is against it, can you obtain get a written statement? Perhaps inform him/his office that something is going to be issued to the press both in Turkey and Internationally on this issue, so it would be good if we could include his views? a photograph at the site would be even better.
More coverage for the petition on social media would be helpful, restaurants and business could post/provide links (looks like you are working on this)

Keep a 'drip feed' of press releases, e.g.
'Updates on the petition'
'Local businesses against quarry '
'Historic Lycian Way under threat' - organise a photograph of some walkers on the part that runs close to it? 
Do you know of any high profile Turkish people, that could lend some support?
The more you can do now to raise the profile of the issue the better.
Have you contacted the Turkish tourist board?
Isis

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Owlsland in Bezirgan

Started by streety on Other Resorts

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 12:30:41 PM
by streety

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Villa Kova

Views: 3340
By: the5grays
The Bergamo 7 @ Chillies