Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: More building in 2014 - why?  (Read 24008 times)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
More building in 2014 - why?
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »

Reading the article in KTLN

http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/357957-kalkan-construction-deadline-15th-may-2014

it would appear that the Belediye in Kalkan have allowed the building of another 200 + properties this winter

This has seemingly  been allowed against  a background of a variable and at times no existant electric and water supply which does not seem to have been improved

Once again it seems that the quest for profit outweighs everything else

Does Kalkan really need another 200 properties - who will buy them ?  or who will rent them?

On Owners Direct alone there are 723 properties to rent and more will only flood the existing market and probably drive rental rates down, hardly creating a boutique resort

Hopefully under Kas things may now improve

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11978.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: More building in 2014 - why?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
It disturbs me every time I return to Kalkan and see the extent of the building work that has happened during the close season. So many properties are half finished, for sale, permanently for sale or worse springing up on so-called protected land :( I don't get the logic of building more villas and apartments when so many remain unsold/unlet and the infrastructure is not keeping pace with the building programme. The last Mayor of Kalkan made lots of promises about curbing the building work for residential property, but this has not been fulfilled. The new mayor of the Municipality has made a similar promise but only time will tell...I sincerely hope he is true to his word. His "manifesto" is still available to read on KTLN.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
My friends and I have made our third trip to Kalkan this year and sadly due to return to the UK this Saturday, boo hoo.  This year its noticably different the place is considerably busier and even more noticeable is the amount of new buildings or buildings that have had extensions added.  I sincerely hope that very soon the local government sees sense and kirbs the amount of new buildings and keeps Kalkan they way it is.

J x
Janie Q

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
Why is everybody surprised that there are so many new buildings this year? The municipality has changed and I was told that, people were unsure whether the new one would allow them to build to the same regulations that the old one did. Sure there's a lot of new property unsold already but, better to build now and hope that you sell than hold off and risk not being able to build at all.
I understand that the Belidye has not the power or will to curb all new building. It can impose certain conditions, like the councils in UK but not, without good reason, refuse a development.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
We are staying in a beautiful villa which last year had a beautiful sea view , we now have a new bit of the hotel in front of us not 5 yards from our pool. In front of the building they must have 100 yards of new garden why could they not have just been another 10 yards away you just feel they are on top of you . I just feel so sorry for the villa owners .
Lynne

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
We are staying in a beautiful villa which last year had a beautiful sea view , we now have a new bit of the hotel in front of us not 5 yards from our pool. In front of the building they must have 100 yards of new garden why could they not have just been another 10 yards away you just feel they are on top of you . I just feel so sorry for the villa owners .
Lynne

Lynne T - I have just come across a photo of the new building/concrete wall that has sprung up in front of your lovely pool. How absolutely heartbreaking. I feel for the owners too. Where there is a fast buck to be made, nothing else seems to matter. No wonder builders were merrily flouting the rules and working defiantly beyond the building deadline this year to complete their projects. BetonBasher is right. Local residents tell me that developers were desperate to 'slide in under the bar' under the previous 'free-for-all' administration in case the newly elected council  introduced stricter controls on planning and development, thereby putting an end to the gravy train.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »
Money buys privileges ... and permits.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »
The buildings that went up in the winter in kisla area seem to be 'high rise' there was always supposed to be a restriction on height! The view of kalkan now is getting like kas peninsular the protected land now disappearing fast. Too many cars in town too...sad sad May have to sell but as everyone says too much property still for sale. Some the same ones as were for sale when we bought 9 years ago!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
I agree with Chunky. Even back in May the main road down into Kalkan from Migros down to the main roundabout was like Brands Hatch! I can't run any more following an accident so imagine how terrifying it is to find yourself in the middle of the road, then have a vehicle approaching out of nowhere at speed. I have to limp swiftly and painfully to safety, often earning the blare of a horn. Although I will always love KK, many would agree that 'tipping point' was reached some time ago. Previous administrations over the years haven't helped by 'relaxing' rules for building on protected land, lack of transparency in planning application processes and alleged 'irregularities' in their own tender processes. What do others think the solution is? Will the new mayor turn out to be the Alex Ferguson of governors and set KK back on the right track?

Offline soprano

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
I have recently sold my apartment and moved out of Kalkan.  I wasn't lucky, I reduced the price to one that was realistic.  One of the reasons I sold was because I felt that I was being increasingly hemmed in by concrete.  It wasn't the fact that new villas  were being built around me or that they partly obscured my view.  I have seen much worse examples of people's situations being ruined by new builds.  But the designs of the villas seem to me to be particularly ugly.  Concrete boxes with tiled concrete pool patios and no garden at all.  Just the odd pot plant.  A few years ago most villas and complexes were planned to include gardens.  Not any more it seems.  Cram as many properties in as possible with low maintenance designs.

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
2014 has seen the completion of three stunning villas behind me. All of them 6 bed 6 ensuites, and I know for certain that 2 / 3 have been completed on. I find it strange that when people bought or built villas here they expected the area henceforth to be preserved in aspic. I welcome it, expected it, and am quite relieved to see it happening after several years of stagnation. Maybe one day it will lead to a Kalkan that thrives and bustles 365 days a year.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
You must wonder if these large villas are actually built to be habitable in Kalkan's winters

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
BetonBasher - there are properties that have been finished & unsold for several years that we know of, so not so sure 'the build now' idea works. We had large apartment blocks go up infront of us 10yrs ago which our lawyer found out were illegal height wise, we just think 'well at least they cannot anything else there'.

Blackpool - not sure Kalkan has stagnated at all re building especially over the last 6 years or so but it certainly needs to now, the only stagnation is during the winter months when almost everything closes & there is hardly anyone here.   
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
DRBD, talk to the locals, it was one of them, nay two of them, that told me that. I know that it seems illogical to build when there are so many empty properties.
The other thing that was suggested to me was that, renters (if the property doesn't sell or, while it is up for sale) would prefer a new property over an existing one. Why? I naively asked the builder. 'Because it is new', came the reply, as if that alone explained everything.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »
I was told, a couple of years ago by one of the boat skippers, that the big new villas we could see
under construction on the farther most limit of Kalamar were for "the Russians". I hope the sluggish sales of villas means the anticipated Russian influx is not taking place.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
PW - your racism is soo cute.

Villas Guney and Kuzey (North and South) usually served for Exclusive Escapes guests, and most of them are Brits. 

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
satovod (and everyone) apologies if I have offended anybody. Certainly not racist - I have absolutely no problem with Russia/Russians.

I consider myself reprimanded.

pw

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
What saddens me most is the loss of land that was designated "protected". As nice as the Likya Pavillions, Asifiya Sea View and the new property in that part of town is, it's all been built on land that shouldnt have buildings.... >:( The road up from Indigo Beach Club to what we dub now Likyaville is in a very poor state, given what it costs to stay in any of these properties you'd think the builder would have put a bit of his money into improving the infrastructure here. We noticed last year a great swathe of land from the road in front of Med Apartments right down to this road has been robbed of its olive trees and hardcore thrown down in readiness for what appears to be a road. Perhaps this builder won't be satisfied untIl all the olive groves have been turned into buildings. Very sad indeed.
We now have a glut of not only unsold, half finished properties but of property shops too....practically every other premises on Kalamar Road is connected with property yet we have seen the same villas for sale for at least the past 4 years. I hope with all my heart the new administration is tougher than the last one when it comes to building work.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:27:02 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »

Kalkan4eva       Insallah to that  ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
If you we're building.....

Started by onelove on Buying A Property & Real Estate

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 07:17:35 PM
by brian j p
xx
Building

Started by soprano on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 02:09:22 PM
by happy days
xx
Kalkan Building

Started by alantj on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 05:08:43 PM
by kalcamp
thumbdown
Building Restrictions

Started by Pauline on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 01:16:26 PM
by Pauline

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal